January 18th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/18/10

Tonight, live from Haiti, gunfire in the streets as looters target a store in Port-au-Prince. Plus, the medical crisis. Dr. Gupta steps in to perform surgery on a 12-year-old girl and when doctors abandoned their patients. Plus, there's still hope that survivors will be found in the rubble.

Want more insight on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Cynthia, Connecticut

What's happening at the Hotel Montana? Can you get over there, Anderson?

January 18, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  2. Jeanne McConnell

Anderson, I am a nurse practitioner who worked on a mobile medical strike team during Katrina. I am registered with FEMA, US Public Health Service, Homeland Security. What did they do with the huge database of medical professionals who were credentialed for Katrina? I am ready to go to Haiti but how does one accomplish this? I am sickened by what I see on TV as I know that any willing hand could help.

January 18, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  3. Kim

I am an RN who is desperately wanting to go to Haiti to help. The organization that I was to travel with had 100 volunteers of Dr's, RN's and others ready to come and volunteer. The airlines restricted the organization to 18 airline tickets because they said so many people wanted to fly into the area and the FAA was limiting their flights – and that was a flight into Santa Domingo, DR! From there the team is having to drive 10 hours in the back of 2 pick up trucks to get to Haiti. The rest of us(about 80) are going to have to wait for the organizations next trip down there before we can go. It is not for a lack of wanting to be there trust me – I am chomping at the bit to get down there and help! But between the FAA limitation, the airline limitations, and then the logistics of getting from the DR to Haiti we are being severely limited!!

January 18, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  4. Diana Walker, Columbia, MO

Anderson, thank you for being there with Dr. Gupta. You are both doing wonderful jobs keeping us informed of this horrific disaster. I want to thank Dr. Gupta for leaving the comforts of his home to lend compassion to the Haitians-I hope more doctors follow your lead.

January 18, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  5. Caroline, Los Angeles

Soledad got the best assignment today. While it's always sad to see sick and injured children, it's always fun to hold and coo at a baby. 😉

January 18, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Lori

Twenty five babies are a lot to take care of at once. Why are they orphans?

January 18, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson, Sanjay, Soledad, Ivan, Gary, Chris Lawerence, and others are my favorite heroes!!!!! I love this, They are so amazing people I have watch AC 360!!!! 🙂 I also agree with all of you! 🙂

January 18, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  8. Mandy

Few thoughts as to why not enough doctors and other critical personnel were not deployed to Haiti fast enough...it is difficult to maintain standing readiness of people – to have them on a- plane, equipped, prepared and trained in less than 72 hours is very hard to do. Even only certain units of the US Military have that kind of quick deployment capability. Host nation governments in Haiti under the auspice of the UN are under pressure to be concerned primarily about the safety of their own citizens. It sounds callous- but governments do consider their own domestic political risks. It might be helpful to explain some of the history of instability in Haiti – as this is probably a mitigating factor for some nations with respect to sending their people in to assist.

January 18, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  9. Vince

Any more news from outside the capital Port au Prince?

January 18, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  10. gary

AC Saving the lives of children and human being should not be a question of logistic.

January 18, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  11. juniormix

man I don't know how to thank you in the great work you doing in haiti as a haitian I praise the lord everyday that he put me where im now He must have a plan for me I see the way you taking care of these people man I don't know all i can say is thank you and all the staff of CNN and all other Station who make it possible for us over here in the us and all sorts of places in the world if it's possible anytime you get some time of your busy schedules it would make me very happy to thank you in person you are trully in angel we will pray for you and your family and the rest of the CNN crew thank you, thank you if you can take some give me a call at 561-574-4995. JR God Bless you brother

January 18, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  12. Lori

I find it suprising that there are so many orphanages in Haiti.

January 18, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  13. starr formerly known as vincent

The longer the "organizers" wait for security, the more desparate the people will become. And, the violence that they are so afraid of will be inevitable!

I've heard our troops are there, but only a handful have been released into the city or surrounding area. What's the hold up? Politics?

Iagree with Dr. Gupta...there is no "common sense" being exercised in this delivery of aid.

January 18, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Mala

There are not many physicians that would go above and beyond for patients to the extent that Dr. Gupta has during this continuing tragedy. Dr. Gupta is my hero!

Atlanta

January 18, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Devna AC360°

Really amazing to see all the aid workers and our international CNN team reporting in Haiti. I can only imagine what they are all experiencing.

January 18, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Jackie

Colombian Army sent a high specialized field hospital, medicines and a 24 people medical staff (including surgeons, specialists in trauma and amputations and others) since thursday. On saturday night they were still standing in the airport because UN hadn't given authorization and hadn't assigned the area for setting it up. Any updates on this?

January 18, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  17. ronald

How about doing any interviews with some of the UN soldiers?

January 18, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  18. Stephanie

Anderson, I have been a huge fan of yours for so many years, as was my dad, who passed away three years ago. He was a doctor who always supported the Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders. If he were watching tonight's show with me, he would be mortified to hear of the lives being lost over lack of coordination and beauracratic red tape. But he would praise you, Dr. Gupta, your CNN team there on the ground and everyone in Haiti giving everything you have to help these people through each hour. I admire all of you so much and I thank you.

Stay safe and God Bless you all.

January 18, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  19. Orin

How are you able to be in the midst of Haiti, helping children, witnessing dead bodies, reporting the destruction and then turn around and talk about american politics. I am baffled in some way. Personally I am not sure if I would be able to shift focus.

January 18, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  20. lyle c richardson

why wasnt then paratroops put in eary wednesday morning to provide relief and help open the roads to get aid in.. disease, infections will now lead to an epidemic or pandemic- that might could have been prevented somewhat.. multible tent cities could have gave the haitians much needed relief, security, etc. after 6 days , rotting bodies on the streets, rubble, mass burial sites, tombs– disease will be spread by animals, dogs, birds, insects, etc unfortuantely feeding off the dead... now everybody in haiti should probably get vaccinations due to the above.. just the lighting would give hope above the pitch black darkness... i fear the death total will be well over 200,000 plus and rising due to the above... you can understand the frustation the haitians are going through causing some unrest, turmoil, and even rioting.

January 18, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Carol

With so many reporters in Haiti, why won't you update us on Hotel Montana. There are Americans there and yet you aren't covering it...why? Please give us news on HOTEL MONTANA

January 18, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Sheree

I agree with a few of the contributors above; why is so much focus placed on the looters. Those of us who have never experienced this magnitude of dissaster cannot say what they would do. I think AC said that they were looting candles. That's needed in the night where there is no light to take care of basic needs. These people aren't stealing. They are surviving. I basic instinct.

January 18, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  23. paris hebert

AC,

All the phamecutical companies factories are in Peurto Rico. Ask them to fly some over.

January 18, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  24. Tammy Christine

Good question Paola : ) How long will it take? Are there plans to start construction soon? I think it would be good to build with something new, a more earthquake friendly material. Nice to see so much love and compassion : )

January 18, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  25. charlie

If American democracy is so weak that a 59 /100 majority does not allow the government to provide universal heath care for it's citizens, then maybe the international community should step in to establish democracy.

January 18, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  26. Jennifer - AZ

Evening everyone,

I've been watching CNN most of the weekend, and you guys are doing a great job both as journalists and as compassionate human beings lending a hand. Thank you for being there, and thank you for bringing us the news there.

Glad you mentioned the conflict in preparation time vs just getting in there and doing something. That is always my concern/confusion with disasters; if you guys can get in there by day two, they should be able to get doctors and rescue in there as well and just do their best.

January 18, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Annie Canavaggio

Hi Mr Cooper, please can we see actual rescue efforts around the city, Hotel Montana. I want to know more about the SAR teams dogs how are they trained, people, where do they sleep etc, who are they.
    Not interested in watching a medical program for that I have
    Emergency Room, ER and House. Still Gupta is great ! so is Jason this morning. Not so the blond guy you just interviewed about the supermarket, and the girl they almost saved 2 days agoHe is too much into one man show I just dont believe him
    Good Luck there and keep strong
    Annie Canavaggio

January 18, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Isabel - Brazil •

See the children so, it breaks my heart!

January 18, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  29. bud

Anderson, you and the CNN team are doing a great job of covering this tragedy. I for one appreciate all that you are doing to bring me current news as I continue to pray for the hellish nightmare our Haitian friends are living. I know help can't come quickly enough in this crisis. I want to believe that everyone....everyone at the highest levels of our government are doing everything they can do to expedite the help that is needed. I know the agencies that are on the ground are giving it their all...willing to lay down their lives to help these people. Where is the support from our government? Are you telling me that we can't get organized...at least reasonably organized enough to set up tents, provide water, set up makeshift hospitals, and feed these people? I'm sorry, but it seems to me that this is a huge bungle that originates from our White House. I would have to think the buck begin....and ends...there.

January 18, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Molly

I find the slow pace at which help is arriving for the Haiti people unacceptable. While agencies determine the best course of action, people are dying. It's like a building on fire and firefighters arrive a week later.

January 18, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  31. ronald

Brazil is bringing in communication engineers and electrical specialists tomorrow.

32. LisaL - Canada

oh i cried and cried and cried when i heard that they had to take down the lights and leave poor maman sitting by the daycare wanting so badly for her little girl to be alive - i cannot put into words how heartbroken i was.

33. Jane - Vt

We know President Clinton is watching CNN, let's hope the White House is too. Maybe they will send a coordinator to get this organized.

Has anyone yet heard of a pharmaceutical or infant formula company donating their products? Surely they are.

34. Caroline, Los Angeles

@Hans-If I were you I'd call the Red Cross or Unicef and see how you can volunteer.

35. Jamie Larson

Thank you for risking your life in order to tell what is truly happening in Haiti and making a difference in the lives of their people. You are a true journalist and our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your crew.

36. Mikefatig

AC, Sanjay, and the incredibly effetive and committed teams with you – let us know when you are coming home to Atlanta. We want to welcome you as the heros you are.

37. Lorraine

Hats off you Anderson and the Doc! and all the CNN crew. Too bad you all couldn't be in charge in the relief. It's amazing how the CNN people can always get there quick enough to help but yet none of the governments (North America or abroad) can see to think through the urgency to put a plan in action within 4 – 8 hours of the development. It continues to amaze me to see Anderson Cooper on the scene and the governments still no where in site still trying to figure things out. How many diasters does it take for these big governments & UN to get the ball rolling on the site of the diaster within hours of their notification. I Simply Cannot understand (and I wreck my brain) why the UN and the other governments must send in assessment personnel to assess the situation to see what is needed. How hard is it to figure out... You need medical supplies, water and food, a 3rd grader could figure it out! Why can the Red Cross get there before the governments and UN and actually Help and not access. Access later when people are found and well. How stupid is this and when wil they learn. Send in plane loads right away and help and worry about the large ship loads later. It upsets me so much! Anderson, can you get some answers to my questions from the government & UN? It makes no sense! Thank you and keep up the good work – you are awesome, the best!

38. Lisa

It seems pretty dumb to send medical crews (or anyone else for that matter) into Haiti with no medical supplies as well as food, water and how about tylenol. You don't have to be a neurosurgean to get it; this is a BYOB situation. Think of the lives saved if everyone had brought their own supplies; wow.

39. veronique piquion

Anderson I need your help. My cousin is in Haiti with his 2yo daughter who was born in the U.S. He is trying to leave Haiti with her (mother died in earthquake). His passport expired. What is the embassy doing now to expedite cases like this. Where should he go.

40. Jon Lovely

I want to say that I was moved by Anderson Coopers actions in the rescuing on the boy in Haiti. It's really cool to see someone like him, to drop his hat and take charge in a situation as that.

41. Carey Parks

First, let me commend you and CNN on your coverage. It has been the best hands down. I do want to address something. I have a suggestion. Has anyone thought about other needs to occupy the time of the people of Haiti such as cards, chess and checker sets, board games, etc. I think having those types of items available will help keep some sense of normalcy for all.

Again, thank you for the work that you, Dr. Gupta, Mr. Penhall and the entire CNN crew in Haiti.

42. Shanny

Now that would be really disappointing for Kennedy's family if the seat is lost and health care reform along with it.

Tomorrow is going to be a huge day for the USA.

43. Terri

Thank you Anderson for your courage and your compassion. You are all so amazing! I was wondering why I am not hearing about the Israeli rescue team or the fact that their medical team were the first to set up an actual operating room.

January 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  44. Robbi in Texas

Anderson and Sanjay and the entire CNN team in Haiti – We feel your frustrations – Thanks for bringing the story to us. You guys be safe

January 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  45. Andre

A prior CNN report today described a well functioning Israeli hospital> it would be most helpful for all if Dr. Gupta and Anderson explored the resons for that success.
    Information on what works would certainly assist incoming help.

January 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  46. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

I pray that Brown doesn't win.......

January 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  47. Tecarie

I think it is wonderful that you are conduit for so many to donate money for aid it is astonishing 700,000 in less 30 minutes and 5M in 2 hours.... staggering what "we" as a society can do.

With that said – I have numerous friends that challenge even the best organizations and their capabilities and to get the money raised to the people in need, is there a way you could do a story or a way to track some of this substantial money raised tonight to prove that it does go where we hope it goes. It may actually encourage others to donate.

....and to those there working and helping god bless you and keep you head up, they need your confidence and support.

January 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  48. Caroline, Los Angeles

So what do people see in this Scott Brown? Other than that he was a nude model once upon a time?

January 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  49. Linda

Maybe if General Honore was in charge, things would move faster.He has said you must ignore protocol and just surge ahead. Act First and Ask Questions Later!

January 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  50. Anabela

Thanks, Anderson, for the work you do and for doing it well. You and Sanjay are special people.
    Be safe.