January 18th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/18/10

Tonight, live from Haiti, gunfire in the streets as looters target a store in Port-au-Prince. Plus, the medical crisis. Dr. Gupta steps in to perform surgery on a 12-year-old girl and when doctors abandoned their patients. Plus, there's still hope that survivors will be found in the rubble.

Want more insight on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Diane

We cannot get regular updates from the UN on their employees at the Christopher Hotel. We're not sure which teams were there when looking for survivors today, what they found/didn't find, status, etc. It has been about 24 hours since we've heard an update e.g., if there were even teams there today, the outlook, etc.

There are many families and friends who want to know.

Thank you.

January 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  2. Linda Kloote

I saw some air drops on news today. What has prevented this from occurring sooner? Also, I see desperate people "commandeering" property, not looting. Better to recover what they can from the ruins and put it to use, unlike the supplies that pile up behind the fences and guards at the airport. The inability to distribute supplies by foot, motorcycle or makeshift cart is puzzling to me.

January 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  3. Sue

Where are all the wonderful UNICEF tents everyone is sending all this money in for? And the Red Cross aid? What seems to be the hold-up? Babies sleeping in a truck, nursing home patients dying in a field next to the homeless slum–these are people with precious lives, too. I know everyone there isn't out doing search and rescue. There are reports of military being there, too–somewhere.

January 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Neal Alexander

There are several members of Search and Rescue that I know that are willing to go to Haiti. Team members are nurses,Physicians assistant,vets,heavy equipment mechanics,engineers etc. We could bring proven dogs and your own supplies, the problem once again is one organization FEMA. Lets stop the red tape and if you are recognized Search and Rescue team in a State call them up. I have 20 or so trained people that would be ready to go if asked by someone. Fema teams are paid,and well. Volunteer teams are as equally trained and qualified and most of the time only ask for transportation cost to a long distance response. Most of us responded to 911,Katrina,and Ike. There are many teams in the United States that would go and assist. JUST ASK.

January 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  5. Judy in Austin TX

Anderson: What did Bill Clinton (as Special Envoy from UN) do during his visit today to help cut through the crap that's stopping the help from getting to the people? Not much coverage on that visit nor his meetings.

January 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  6. Serena

Good job in the field, Anderson. Spectacular work by Sanjay – and he looks beat.

January 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  7. Halina cheng

Good job, excellent comments on those medical people (from Belgium) and whatever associations...those people who do not have common sense should not be in Haiti!!!! thx so much Anderson and Dr. Gupta and please get some sleep...thx thx thx...

January 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  8. Richard Milord

Anderson, if that is the way the UN operates and not taking charge in time of disaster, millions are dying in the hand of this inneficient organization. Why support the UN?

9. Kathryn Vento

I do not understand this, it does not make sense- rise above the red tape and the security concerns and get these people HELP! And if security is an issue, if they get what they need- the basics of life that we all need- the security concerns will likely de-escalate. Anderson Cooper and Sanjay Gupta...everyone at AC360...they are helping people...why is this so hard!?

10. Peter eden

Activist journalists. Anderson Cooper and Sanjay Gupta. Thank you. I think the slowness of getting medical help in is because behind the scenes, for the first few days, most efforts were directed toward getting non-Hatians out. It was all about evacuation.

11. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Devna AC360
    Devna!
    I agree with you, Bloggers, on the behalf of AC 360, I want to thank you for coming in tonight, We are appericate what I had to read your comment. Thanks for your sharing with us. 🙂

12. Cheryl

I think the problem is like he said the red tape of the bigger relief agencies like red cross and unicef and all those big guys. I say just start dropping the stuff!! all of it by helecopter right now really fast!! There will be some fighting over it but a lot of people will be fed and have water too!! take the good with the bad in this desparate situation. sheesh!!!

13. Ruby

AC you're great! it was amazing how you helped the boy from the riot! Great journalism and Dr. Gupta, thank you for all your hard work. 🙂

14. Monica

Anderson/Dr. Gupta, I feel your frustration. I wish I were a doctor so I could help too. Where are all the doctors??

I think that this year's CNN Hero of the Year should be shared between Anderson and Dr. Gupta. You both are inspirational! Anderson, you are truly an amazing person whose passion towards humanity is once again so evident. As I watched coverage of Dr. Gupta's surgery this morning, it made me realize why he didn't take the Surgeon General's job. He has a much bigger purpose. A little girl's life once again was saved in the hands of Dr. Gupta.

15. Viana

I keep wondering what goes through the people's mind when they are finally rescued and see what has happened to their city. For all they knew, the building they were in collapsed and everything else was fine. Did they sense the quake was so destructive and wide spread?

Thank all of you at CNN for bringing this to our living rooms and doing it with class and dignity. Leave the mudd slinging for those who aren't making a difference.

Viana

16. Dorrie

What is being done about the young Americans that were trapped as well in the earthquake, they deserve aid too...they are young, full of life and have dedicated their lives to help the country before the earthquake...please locate them and let their parents know in America that they have survived!!!!

17. Denny

Anderson – are there American troops actually on the ground in PaP center city or they all at the PaP airport? I had heard that American troops would be sent to provide security... and right now I see no signs of them in your reports. Many of us would be grateful if you would put this in front of the American public and the President. I am a big fan of the President but he needs to come into full view as the Commander in Chief – and step up with more than words. Thanks for all that you are doing in Haiti.

18. Carmelle Phillips

I am an Haitian American and I just want to say how greatful I am of the work that CNN and its wonderful reporters. I have been watching Anderson Coope and his colleagues, not only reporting, but also doing their part by giving of themselves to the people they encounter. Thank you CNN.

Carmelle
    Jersey City, NJ

19. Joseph Lauraire Bissainthe-Ciceron

Theres a news report that I've heard for Radio Signal FM. I heard someone said in Jacmel that the sea left the shore and went far away. Can you check and find out if this is true, because if so that is a sign of an upcoming Tsunami.

Thank You, as a Haitian I truly appreciate the work and sacrifices that you and Dr. Gupta have put forth for the good of haitian people. Thank you a thousand times.

Sincerely, Joseph Ciceron

20. Jan - Illinois

Anderson, thank you and Sanjay SO MUCH for telling it like it is. You're talking about things I've been wondering about for 4 days – what the heck is WRONG with these people. Sanjay Gupta is an amazing man and I appreciate everything you're doing to give it to us straight. Somebody needs to get this thing in gear!

PLEASE keep it up.

January 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  21. Dawn-Florida

Anderson and Sanjay you are doing great work for the people of Haiti and for the world watching THANK YOU!

January 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  22. Dodie, Irvine CA

We always seems to have that tendency of over-reacting!

January 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  23. ronald

Anderson discusses repeated revisits and have found victims alive in the rubble.
    revisit to UN building finds another victim in the rubble.
    Now, since LA crew intends to not re-visit that site tomorrow, how about getting someone else over there?
    No taps can mean victim has passed out.
    You got to have the gut feeling to return.
    If you return to that site for that woman wearing that hat and you locate her daughter under the rubble, then what?
    Can not necessarily assume anything.
    Go LA crew, find a way to go back.

January 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Isabel - Brazil •

@Devna

We are thank you all!

January 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Erin M

Anderson, Thanks for all your good work. I am desperate to get to Haiti. I am a trained Nurse Practitioner, with disaster relief experience, and 12+ years performing international medical volunteer work. I have a license in good standing. I have applied to 10+ orginizations, and nobody is sending volunteers. I am dying to get there! Please help me help those who are dying.

January 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  26. lori

I hope CNN is making sure all their personnel are safe. I am watching Anderson and Sanja and I am really concerned about their safety.
    I am praying for you all and the first responders.

January 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Jen

The video of Anderson helping the injured boy and Sanjay operating and treating the injured were tremendously moving. Sanjay's facial expressions are very telling of the situation. Unbelievable reporting and capturing the events. After watching your show for years, I was proud of both of you as if I knew you personally. Some of the most moving reporting I have ever seen. Be safe.

January 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Fred

I'm 100% with you and your assessment on the lack of coordination in the relief effort. I just looked at a map of the area and indeed it seems that helicopters could reach the affected areas of Haiti from Guantanamo, Jamaica, Turks and Caicos , Santa Domingo, and Puerto Rico. With a congested single strip airport open in Port-au-Price these other airports should have been used and aid as well as search and rescue teams ferried in by helicopter. While people 'assessed' the devastation those on the ground, those buried in rubble, those without food, water or much needed medical care are dying. The very night of the earthquake US Marines should have been dropped into the region to secure landing areas for the countless people from around the world offering assistance in providing search and rescue as well as medical services.

January 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  29. starr formerly known as vincent

@CNN- The show Heros shoudl give Anderson and his Team a special award this year for the incredible work that they have done and continue to do in Hairi!

January 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  30. Shanny

Oh wow. How surreal for him to have to do this interview FROM the ruins of Haiti and suffering!

January 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  31. Jennifer

I would be looting stores too if I was in their situation without food and water for soooooooooo long! God Bless them

January 18, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Patti

Wanted to take this opportunity to thank Anderson Cooper and Sanjay Gupta for their efforts during this crisis in Haiti. My heartfelt thanks to you for the compassion you show all who come in contact with. God put you in the right place. He knows your talents and your heart. Thank You for all you do......

January 18, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  33. aliou Florida

Anderson, why is it that people are more afraid here than anywhere else they have been ? The answer is the same as anyone ele where blacks have been left to die: Genocide. Anderson, those explanations are good but why is it only happening when we are dealing with blacks? Why the fear only when the rescue effort is for blacks? The answer is that we are afraid or complecent. We want to let them die because we expect them to die to suffer and to die, and we can explain away their pain, suffering and death.

January 18, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  34. kashmier

It seems like no one wants to take responsibility for the big organizations.

January 18, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  35. Jasmine Francois-Moore

Yes, I have been watching Dr. Gupta and I must say, both Anderson & Gupta are as close to real life superheroes as you’re going to get. Dr. Gupta is bold, wise, insightful, and has a good sense of humanity. In the face of disaster, and devastation, he stood his ground and did not vacate. There is practical instinct and knowledge in “motion” when watching Anderson & Dr. Gupta.

Kind regards,

Mrs. Francois-Moore

January 18, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  36. Beth

Security is an important issue – as an RN I have been hit, kicked, bit , scratched, threatened and this was at a US hospital ! Do not presume that medical professionals need to risk their lives to help others.

January 18, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  37. Dulcie - Denver

Geez, excellent discussion between Anderson and Sanjay about the delay of medical help.

I simply don't understand it. Medical basics, like simple drugs, aren't expensive or bulky to transport.

Man, are we as a human race ever going to get disaster response right?

January 18, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  38. Fran

I think they should send a fleet of cruise ships down there for those devastated people to stay on. That is the only thing that could get thousands of people into shelter by literally tomorrow.

January 18, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  39. Shanny

@ Paul

The palace is in ruins but it has a lovely lawn that could be used for some sort of gathering for people to camp or have a hospital erected.

January 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  40. Hans (Brooklyn, NY)

I'm a former US Navy sailor, a trained firefighter, an a crowd control specialist, served in desert fox was on the USS Carl. Vinson in 1998. I want to go down there & help out. I'm looking to link with an administration on the ground that could use my expertise. I am Fluent in French, English, Haitian Creole & Spanish & I know the Haitian terrain & the culture very well.

January 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  41. Jenn

Thank God for Anderson and Dr Sanjay! If all the organizations are waiting for a "perfect" "safe" enviornment to help these people, they will be dead! Feed and Water the people! People who are desperate will act rash! I know I would!

January 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  42. wayne

Christianville, Haiti is doing their own air relief chartering a chopper. Two flights arriving tomorrow. Bringing drugs and docs in country. All with their own money. Dont wit on the government, mobilize and do it yourself. These people desperately need immediate help.

January 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  43. val

i can comment on the usns comfort someone referred to. I live in Baltimore and the local news reported that they had to stock the ship fully and that's why it didn't leave right away. also keep in mind it takes a few days for the ship to get there. once there, it can hold 500 patients.

January 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  44. Berttie

Anderson,I still have a hard time understanding how the Belgian doctors could leave Dr. Gupta alone to deal with the injured.

January 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Adelaide,

"I would like to know where is President Préval?? What is he doing to bring some order through all this chaos??"

I have been asking the same question myself ever since this happened. Where were his emergency plans?

I'd like to see Anderson interview him.

January 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  46. Gillian

Anderson, to you Dr Gupta and Ivan and the rest of you wonderful CNN reporters and crews. Thank you, god bless you all and keep you safe. You are all doing a wonderful service to mankind, in telling us what is trully happening in Haiti. To Ivan the image of the beautiful 11 yr old girl will always stay with me, and I want to do all I can do to help. God bless her family. I live in southern California, and I am well aware that one day that could be us. Thank you again Anderson keep up the wonderful work you are doing. We are all one on this planet Earth, Out of the rubble Haiti will grow anew and strong. God bless them all.

January 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  47. Mike

This is just another example of the United States not being prepared for a disaster, in the weeks to come everybody in the US government will be finger pointing on who's fault it was that supplies and personnel did not arrive in time.
    If the state of Israel can fly in a full portable hospital on 2 jets and have it set up and performing operations in 3 days, why cant the United States do the same.

January 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  48. Caroline, Los Angeles

What's that old saying? "Too many cooks spoil the broth." That seems to be what happens when a coordinated response is needed to a disaster. (Reminds me of Congress and our health care legislation.)

January 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  49. Cathy Ramos, Lakewood Colorado

I know people in Haiti are using tweeter and the internet to communicate with family. Is there any way someone highly respected by the Haiti people could the get word out that rushing aid trucks and looting is actually slowing down the progress of getting them more assistance. Maybe such an appeal could help if made by a well known trusted source.

January 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  50. Sabrina in Los Angeles

The ones of the ground should have the "chiefs" viewing the live footage and make an ad hoc decision right then to assist.

January 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm |