January 18th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/18/10

Tonight, live from Haiti, gunfire in the streets as looters target a store in Port-au-Prince. Plus, the medical crisis. Dr. Gupta steps in to perform surgery on a 12-year-old girl and when doctors abandoned their patients. Plus, there's still hope that survivors will be found in the rubble.

Want more insight on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. john

What is the problem with getting more doctors, aid ,and help in Haiti. We need to focus on moving in portaprince bringing help for the Haitian people. Thank you Anderson Cooper and Dr. San jay Gupta for all the work and time in bringing the news from Haiti.

January 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  2. jessica

Thanks so much for your amazing work. You and Dr. Gupta are a true inspiration.

January 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  3. Tzila

I want to thank you Anderson Cooper, for bringing up the question tonight that is on my mind and on all my friends' minds: WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG FOR THE AID TO GET TO THE PEOPLE WHO NEED IT? Quite frankly, I am disgusted that it is taking so long to get this done...all the supplies and manpower at the airport, sitting there, except for a little here and there. "Protocol" and logistics are not important in this desperate situation; we need to get the supplies to the people....now!!!! The incredible suffering that is going on trumps all protocol. If I was in the service there as a pilot, I'd have to abduct a helicopter loaded with supplies, and just take what's needed to the people. We are a mighty nation, involved in several wars....can we not make this happen? What are we afraid of? A handful of desperate people? I understand that it's not wanted that innocent people get hurt by rowdy crowds...well...take soldiers in there and make this happen. Are we afraid that other countries will be upset if we take a lead? Well, too bad.

In the meantime, PLEASE take care of yourself Anderson! And Dr.Gupta as well. You both are valuable assets to us here who need the truth and the facts. You are SO appreciated...SO appreciated!!!!

January 18, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Paul

The palace is in ruins too, isn't it?

January 18, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  5. Carolyn

Why can't the military put someone in place to coordinate the relief from the aiport to out on the streets?

Why is the medical supply planes that carry doctors & medicine the last on the list of 4 to be allowed to fly in?

What about air dropping aid to the people on the streets – enough already – these people are dying and now the volience.

I see tons of grass land infront of the palace. Why hasn't any helicopters landed there w/ security and set up distribution of relief.

For all the money we given, the efforts should be better, faster and greater there on the ground ....Enough of organizations like the UN who say that have to access the situation....Access what? People are DYING.

January 18, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  6. Monica Capellan

Hello Anderson, I have followed all your reports since the begining of the earthquake in Haiti. I think it is amazing the job you are doing there....
    I must have missed any comment about all the support the Dominican Republic is giving to Haiti since the earthquake hapenned. Dominican Republic has most of their hospital full with Haitians injured and mothers are breast feeding new born babies injured. Dominican Celebreties have given their houses close to Haiti for victims. The supermarkets have been crowded of Dominican buying food and water to donate. Thousands of organizations are putting us together Dominicans all over the wolrd to do our donations. Yesterday a succesful telemarathon was held in Dominican TV where Dominican People donated 1.3 million dollars (a lot of Dominican celebrities participated).
    Continue doing this wonderful job down there.
    Monica

January 18, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Ian Size

Please Anderson ask the military why they cannot police the medical facilities and send out companies of troops with a local policeman as local liaison to provide cover and protection for the medical teams working in Port Au Prince. To see medical staff leaving patients due to feared rather than actual security issues makes me so mad. Gen Keen should be able to organise this so ask him why he has not please.

January 18, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  8. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good job with the brain surgery, Dr. Gupta! I can certainly understand why the President wanted you to be part of his cabinet, and I can certainly understand why you turned the position down. You are truly a doctor first who must work hand on in the medical field.

January 18, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  9. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I sense and feel the frustration that Anderson and Sanjay are feeling regarding getting medical supplies to the injured in Haiti. I think the US should do the right thing for humanity and just take over and not rely on the Haiti government to get this situation in control.

January 18, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  10. Sabrina in Los Angeles

You did a great job today Anderson by getting that boy out of there.

IF these people had been given aid soon enough they might not be rioting.

January 18, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  11. Caroline, Los Angeles

Complete lack of common sense. Amen.

January 18, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  12. Barry - San Diego

Anderson- Holy Cow! You saved that young boys life and in doing so you have kept his dreams alive. That was truly amazing. You and the rest of your team rock! Be safe bro.

January 18, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  13. Maggie Brewinski

I'm urgently trying to contact my colleague Dr. Karen Schneider of Johns Hopkins who was interviewed by Elizabeth Cohen on Jan 17 about a baby pulled from the rubble. I am a physician who has worked with Karen in Haiti. We always treat the children at the Catholic orphanage in Riviere Froide / Leogane. I just heard today that the nun who looks after that orphanage has died as have many of the children. They have had no help and are desperately in need of medical assistance. If there is any way to get a message to Dr. Karen Schneider who is treating patients at the PAP airport, please try to help get assistance to this orphanage in Leogane. She will know where it is. Thank you!!

January 18, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  14. Alex

Anderson, I have to thank you for the quality of reports that you, Sunjay, Ivan and many others have done! So far, your coverage actually saved lives that being said...Why has no one covered the Delmas area yet? Also, is the president talking to his people daily? Someone needs to appease the crowds.

January 18, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  15. Jacqueline, NY

What if the people of Haiti just waited for help to arrive before they themselves pitched in to help their neighbors and loved ones.

All the networks should form their own disaster relief teams to go on location when they send out reporters. I mean, why not? You all can afford it. And, hey, you're going to be there anyway, so instead of just reporting and showing us the news, news networks can pitch in with their own teams and really do some good. Something worthy, like CNN.

KUDOS CNN!

January 18, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Elizabeth Campbell,
    Yes, (The chlidrens) they already left to U.S. & Netherlands this time.

January 18, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  17. starr formerly known as vincent

@Devna AC360

Thank you for this blog and this news program!!

More than any other program AC360 has been the most inforrmative and eye opening. Seeing Dr. Gupta try and step into medical situations that were overwhelming!

I don't believe the UN when they DENY that they gave the order to move. it was THEIR trucks that showed up to take the Drs. & nurses away!

January 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  18. Joy

To Anderson, Sanjay and the entire CNN team and crew – you are everyone's heroes. Your never ending hours on the job and the risks you are facing every day have elevated you to the status of virtual angels. Your frustration must be immense but the logistics of getting everyone the help they need seem to be so impossible. We worry for you and wish you nothing but the very best. Stay well!

January 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  19. linda

There has been very very limited coverage on the outstanding work that Israel has provided to Haiti in the way of setting up emergency medical facilities.

They were one of the first countries to respond and set up life saving support with 220 Israelis as doctors and emergency technicians.

January 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  20. Patricia

I think everyone specialy they cnn staff.I would to america occupied haiti.

January 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  21. Blossom

Anderson Cooper (and CNN) continues to deliver the powerful and raw truth about the unbearable suffering of the Haitians...young and old. I've cried every night even when these is a remarkable story of survival and rescue from the rumble. The AC360 piano theme is so moving. It's the perfect compliment. I'd like to ask what song is it and who composed it?

Keep up the remarkable work AC, Dr. Gupta and CNN.

January 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  22. Pam

I will never forget that Friday night when those patients were deserted. Sanjay I admire you SO much for what you did!!

January 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  23. Isabel - Brazil •

The field hospital of the Brazilian Air Force already operates since Monday in Haiti to assist the earthquake victims. And the news coming here is on Sunday a surgery has been performed. But these are small things, so little!

The unit was mounted in an area next to the Brazilian base in the Haitian capital, which is 10 km from the city center.

January 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  24. Sabrina in Los Angeles

I have a saying I made up "By the time Chaos finds its pants, Order is already out of the door."

We need to learn from this tragedy and all others that came before it what is needed in the first 24 hrs, first 48 hrs, first 72 hrs.

Food, Water, Medical all needed ASAP. Assess later. Assess from air and expect that people will need Food, Water, and Medical.

And yes, secondary infections and secondary crisis will start now.

Rescue will turn to recovery, more bodies will be found.
    The stench will increase, the chance of infection from wounds not being cleaned regularly or addressed at all.

Building that seem fine will be evaluated and you will find micro fractures that will force it to be demolished so it doesn't fall at a later date.

This will be months to come.

January 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  25. susan

I think the entire CNN crew should be comended for the work you are doing. The emotional toll must be overwhelming. This will probably affect you forever.

January 18, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  26. Samantha Kidder - Maineville,Ohio

This is sad, that the dr's aren't there or if they are there isn't enough of them. And then for the fighting to be going on over stealing things from stores that have fallen in. That little boy who got hit in the head and was bleeding that was so sad. I hope they can get there stuff together and can help the people.

January 18, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  27. Ketsia

Dear CNN,
    My name is Ketsia S. Bissainthe, I am writing today, to see if you can help me take one or two children out of their misery in Haiti. I don't have much, but I can put a roof over the children's head. Right now, all I am thinking about is the children's well being. They already survive the quake, a safer place to sleep would be very nice. As an experienced medical Assistant, I can help the 12 year old girl Dr Sanja Gupta operated on her brain this morning. I am also hoping that I could help the little girl who was moping the floor, shopping, carrying the bucket of water on her head this morning, I don't remember her name. I used to have maids growing up in Haiti, but I always helped them with their chores even though they used to get paid. I mopped floors, carried water, shopped, often for fun by helping neighbors' slaves, but never because I had to. I really feel for the kids who have no choice which is why I used to help them. I think of all the children, but these two got my attention this morning, but I'll take any other kids that The Government would give me, eve the babies from the area where Soledad O'Brien covered tonight to help them in the quakes relief in Haiti. Also in Tortugais Island Basseterre I, My husband's mother, his two kids, his brother with his wife and new born baby who was just 7 days old at the time of the quake, were in a house that shifted from left to right, which is not safe for them, if they would consider giving me the children along with the adopted children I personally would be very grateful.

I would appreciate your help

sincerely Ketsia

January 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  28. Molly

Anderson Cooper and Dr. Gupta showed us what the Good Samaritan would do in the situations they encountered today. Thank you both for helping the children today.

January 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  29. Connie. Madison, wi.

Ijust heard the store being looted, was going to move the supplie..............to me, wouldnt u want to give to the starving , homeless, waterless, their familys gone, and maybe some had even shopped in their store. but shoot, whip them when they are so far down and its just heartbreaking , the lack of sharing with the most needy..........................many things are just incomprehensible and how our great reporters and doctors, turned resuers, and saviors , have kept going day after day, night after night, in the face of insurmountable odds is compelling and heartwarming, and thank god we can show that the USA does care and has loveing good hears.........Im so gratefu and so proud l of You Anderson, sadji, and all there w/ uou. I just pray obama and hillary open the gates and let supplies in , or who ever can make that call..............god be wih all of u

January 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  30. Vince

This is really tugging at the core of my heart strings – it's unbearable to think that people are just dying because help is coming too slow... and could be saved with the simpliest medicines...

Anderson – do you get to sleep when so much is dispair is all around you?

January 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  31. Sheri

Great job Anderson. Please update us on Hotel Montana, you mentioned there are search and rescue teams there. Wolf Blitzer mentions it and then there is no follow up. How can there be over 200 people buried in rubble and search and rescue can't find one person? Are dogs detecting any life?

January 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  32. Rhett from Canada

Mr. Anderson Cooper and Dr. Sanjay Gupta – I applaud you. My heart has been torn this week and yet I am thousands of miles away! I can only imagine what you are seeing and going through. Watching your actions with the "young man" today and seeing Dr. Gupta's compassionate touch with the "baby" makes my heart swell with hope and love. Knowing there are people like yourselves in Haiti gives us all pride for our species. Let us never forget how these moments bring us together – with hope for the future for those in Haiti and for all of humankind. May peace come swiftly!

January 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Amita, ca

you are amazing,you are a Hero Anderson
    stay safe!

January 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Christina from Canada

@katrina

I was just shouting at the TV the same thing! Children sleep very soundly. It was night time their bodies would be programmed to sleep. Please return to the daycare

January 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  35. Pam

If only they had sent the USS Comfort out immediately instead of waiting until Saturday.

January 18, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  36. Caroline, Los Angeles

@ Eddie.P.--I have been wondering that too. I imagine it's because there are valuables in the palace and they don't have enough security to keep people from sneaking in if they let them use the lawn.

January 18, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Kathy Chicago

You are right to be frustrated. Time is ticking by, and people are dying. I thought the ships would have had medical supplies on them, the Coast Guard? Those first responders should know what is needed .

January 18, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  38. Dulcie - Denver

@Jennifer

I noticed that too and it kind of freaked me out. (I paused the show to read comments, sorry)

January 18, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  39. Mary

Who is providing "stress relief" for you guys so that you don't end up with PTSD when you get back????

Awesome job...Wish I could help either there or here as a trauma nurse but so far...cannot find one damn agency in charge of contacting for logistics data!

Continue the rewarding experience for All parties involved.

January 18, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  40. Cheryl

There are a lot of surgeons in Jimani Dominican Republic side, just on the border east of Porta Prince doing a lot of surgery 24/7 on Haitians coming over the border in the hospital. Hwy 102 going out of Porta Prince. Lots of Haitians pouring in there.

January 18, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  41. Anthonia-Bay Area

Most aid groups won't help other cities in Haiti because their attention is focused on the capital.

January 18, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  42. D. Andress

Anderson-
    I will say it for you. The UN is dyfunctional and undermined the Haitian disaster beyond belief.

Debbie Andress Ohio

January 18, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  43. Lori

Anderson and Dr. Gupta are heros and angels. They are beautiful.

January 18, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  44. Karl

When you are discussing why we haven't seen that many rescue teams arrive in a timely fashion, we must remember that there are less than 15 rescue teams in the world who are trained and classified to do this kind of work. One of the first ones was the ICE-SAR team from Iceland which landed early Wednesday morning, all the way from Iceland! They were mobilized couple of hours after the quake hit and got there in time to be effective. But unfortunately we don't have that many worldwide teams who are ready to deal with circumstances like these. We should discuss if there isn't time for the UN or some other organisation to build a worldwide network of response teams that can quickly mobilize.

January 18, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Jane - Vt

Another easy way to donate to the red cross is through your itunes acct. I did tonight. Apple is giving your entire donation to the Red Cross. Just sign into the store, scroll down a little, it's in the middle of the page.

January 18, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Adelaide

I would like to know where is President Préval?? What is he doing to bring some order through all this chaos??
    I don't get it....

January 18, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  47. kashmier

God bless you guys on the front line of the unspeakable disaster.

January 18, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  48. Sarah Backus

You saved that boy's life Anderson. You are truly a hero and have gone above and beyond your reporting duties. Stay safe and thank you for all of your hard work in Haiti!

January 18, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  49. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I agree with Anderson, the delay in getting basic essentials like antibiotics to the people was ridiculous. They should have sent in the basic necessities quickly and then figure the logistics out later.

January 18, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  50. starr formerly known as vincent

I appreciate that Anderson & Dr. Gupta are discussing the SLOW cordination of the aid !

I hope that it is not political. I hope that the President of Haiti is not calling the shots. It would, however, explain a lot.

January 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm |