January 18th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/18/10

Tonight, live from Haiti, gunfire in the streets as looters target a store in Port-au-Prince. Plus, the medical crisis. Dr. Gupta steps in to perform surgery on a 12-year-old girl and when doctors abandoned their patients. Plus, there's still hope that survivors will be found in the rubble.

Want more insight on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jackie Lopez

Amazing work Dr. Sanjay Gupta is doing. CNN & future students who have him as a professor are very lucky to be taught by the very best!

January 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  2. Paul

Excellent job everyone. Let's cut thru all the red tape and get more help. Sanjay is doing the job of dozens of doctors. I vote Anderson, Ivan, and Sanjay all to be Heroes!

January 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  3. Patricia

Hi Enderson how are you.My name is Patricia .I appreciated you for your help.I am amost loosing my self cause my family is on the street therefore I cant help them.I dont know what to do.

January 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  4. Caroline, Los Angeles

I can't understand why Unicef and World Food Programme can't get baby formula to the orphans Soledad reported on.

Unicef should know there are a ton of orphans in Haiti, right? The U.S. has helicopters there on a ship. Fly some in.

January 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  5. Christina from Canada

It is our job to keep Haiti in the politicians focus. When Haiti isn't the focus anymore and Anderson has to move on to other stories. I will keep my clergy and politicians focused on Haiti as will you and you. I have been awoken to the unjustice and I can't go backwards on Haiti now.

January 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  6. Devna AC360°

On behalf of AC 360, thank you so much for joining us this evening.

January 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  7. debbie

I also speak some spanish and just heard you say they are transporting a medical center to the D.R., I HAVE BEEN there many times, have military experience, know its ho , just want to contribute my skills as a trauma nurse, please help me get a contact to get us there.

January 18, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Jane - Vt

This is what I don't understand, how did CNN crew get in so quickly and everyone has excuses why they can't.

January 18, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  9. Nathalie

Wow, Anderson Cooper is truly amazing. The way he carried that young boy that was bleeding was unbelievable. You are doing such a great job reporting from Haiti. I feel your genuine sympathy for the Haitian people!!!

January 18, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  10. Shanny

What have all of you done to support aide in Haiti?

We have a teacher from there in our school and plan to use our Valentine's Day dance to raise money in this small northern community.

January 18, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Dr. Sanjay Gupta are our heroes in the year, When he need to help their victim after earthquake strike, He is doing great job last and this week. I am proud of them, CNN Team! 🙂

January 18, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  12. Claudia

You are not only a gifted reporter but an amazing human being as well.

January 18, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Caroline, Los Angeles

I agree Anderson. That is my complaint about the U.S. Military too. The ship Comfort isn't even there yet. So busy assessing--not so busy getting stuff done.

January 18, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  14. Lori

The description of the medical approach is boardering on gruesome.

January 18, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  15. Kate

Anderson et al;

I'm concerned for your emotional and psychological health. Will you get some post traumatic stress treatment yourselves? You can see the pain on your faces.

I can't stop watching...you're doing a great job.

January 18, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  16. Faith

I am a neurosurgeon who has been trying to come and help since Tuesday night. I saw the news and knew there would be utter devastation. Now, 6 days later, I have contacted numerous agencies and all I hear is that they are ASSESSING the needs. Well while they are assessing people are dying and will die because of lack of medical care.

And still I wait for someone to accept my offer. I am a very healthy hardy, fit neurosurgeon with a pediatric fellowship out of the top schools 12 years in practice and they don't seem to want my help.

January 18, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  17. Cathy Ramos, Lakewood Colorado

Anderson,

Thank you Anderson and Dr. Gupta: You both set such a great example for the new media. You consistently put the lives and safety of the people of Haiti above your stories. Your compassion and willingness to dive in and give aid wherever you see the need is truly inspiring. Anderson I love that you sat your camera down in the midst of looters to aid the young boy hit the head.

January 18, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  18. Kula May R Ellison

Hello Mr A.Copper. Awesome work ,bravery & rescuer. It us good you are there. My prays are with all of you in Haiti. Sincerely,
    Kula May

January 18, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  19. Debra

I'm questioning how the Israeli's have an up and running hospital in country but the US (90 miles away) does not. Somehow seeing Hillary, Bill and Chelsea mad it to Haiti to do nothing it seems somewhat ironic that a life saving hospital cannot be set up in a timely manner. Time to keep them honest Anderson!

January 18, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  20. Betty Murphy

Note regarding animals in Haiti....IFAW(International Fund for Animal Welfare) and WSPA(world society for the Protection of Animals) are partnering and if not on the ground at this moment...should be very soon! Others, I am certain will follow. It is my understanding they have held back to wait "for their turn to come in and get to work". These organizations will need your financial support too. they both have always done outstanding work!

January 18, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  21. Howard Werman

There is alot of time spent talking about how simple medical problems are going untreated, resulting in many preventable deaths. However, there is no information provided that would direct hundreds of physicians, nurses and allied health professionals who is coordinating any medical response. Who can we contact? I personally have had experience in Haiti but cannot figure out how to help.

January 18, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  22. Jacqueline, NY

I love you, Dr. Gupta. You're the type of doctor I wanted to be like when I wanted to be a doctor. God bless you.

January 18, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  23. katrina

Please go back and check the day care where they heard the tapping. Children tend to SLEEP. deeply, and may have been tapping earlier but are not tapping now because they have fallen asleep! My child can sleep through us moving her from the car to her bed and she is ten! Please, tell the rescuers NOT TO GIVE UP on the children... they are very resilient and can live longer in these types of situations because they do not despair and give up... they wait for you to rescue them and they sleep when they're tired. Please go back in the morning and look again... That mother KNOWS her daughter is still alive!

January 18, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  24. Richard Milord

Anderson, your courage and reporting have inspired millions. I was wondering, if you can check on a couple of women that I sponsor. They are currently living in Mt. Carmel yard, a church located accross the street from the Coast Guard station in Carrefour. The house they were living in is badly damaged and the church does not have enough food for everyone. No doctor has been to the location to help the wounded. Can you go and check on them? Her name is Rosela Content and her mother is Celirose.

God Bless
    630-2473500

January 18, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  25. Danielle - Los Angeles

Sanjay said he had to improvise and "create" some of his own instruments. This on a US ship? It's unbelieveable that even a week after the quake the proper aid hasn't arrived and isn't available to the victims.

January 18, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  26. Laura Brennan

Thank you for your reporting. I think CNN is the only network in Haiti...Is anyone else there? AC you are the real thing WOW!

January 18, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  27. Audrey Douglas-Logan

Dear Mr,Copper,
    I am very please and impress with the News on Haiti that you've bring to us on that day when the little boy got his head brust ,with all that blood running out and you pick him up in your arms and carry him off I said that your Sir, are a God send from Heaven, keep doing what you're doing your reward will be great in Heaven. And last if I could get that little boy in my family ( adopt) I would be please , but I am in Canada I do not know the first thing, what I would have to do.I have children ages from 30-16 so I am in the position to have one more even two.
    God Bless You.

January 18, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  28. Sata

I am so proud of CNN's coverage about the situation in Haiti. I am so proud of Anderson Cooper, I was in tears when I saw him holding a child who was hurt. You are doing a fantastic job !

January 18, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  29. Pat

Anderson, Thank you for your dedication and honest reporting of this terrible tragedy. Stay safe and well.

January 18, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  30. Yves Durand

Anderson,

Thank you for your extensive coverage of the earthquake in Haiti. Please, wear a helmet when near the building.

January 18, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  31. Pam

@starr formerly known as vincent – Totally agree with you on wishing for General Honore' with his experience with logistics! Wish he was there.

January 18, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  32. Johnny Cummins

Patricia Joseph From
    Magaly Delva,
    Petrouchka Moise: If anyone
    has contact on the ground in
    Haiti, my
    cousin Ginette is in the
    Banque National de Credit,
    and she is alive
    with others but they are
    trapped under the rubble.
    There are more than
    10 people still alive... if you
    can pass this on, I would be
    so
    grateful.

January 18, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  33. Heather

Where is the leader of this country...

January 18, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  34. Eddie.P.

Why dont i see tents on the grounds of the presidential palace?

January 18, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  35. Anne

I just wanted to jump into the tv and hug Anderson tonite when he ran to help that poor little boy who got hit in the face with a rock!! I cannot imagine how hard it must be to be down there and witness such destruction and sadness....
    Anderson, you are doing such a great job in Haiti. Thank you for your hard and unimaginable work during this difficult time.

January 18, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  36. starr formerly known as vincent

As so many bloggers have already stated.

THANK YOU Anderson, Ivan, Gary, Susan, Dr. Gupta (unbelievable hero), and ALL of the reporters, crews, producers & CNN for incredible coverage and assistance with helping people find each other, and in some cases "hands on" help! And Thank You to the studios at home who help bring all of this information to us.

CNNs incredible assests have brought this story to life and have inspired many, many people to participate in helping Haiti.

January 18, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  37. felipe sotelo

Hi........ anderson great job with the boy in haiti
    Thanks for
    felipe

January 18, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hans Saintvilnoel (Brooklyn, NY),
    Thanks for coming in........ And I am glad you are hero to me, Thank you for your service.

January 18, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  39. Eric Campbell

God be with you.

January 18, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  40. Kathy Richard

Very difficult to watch the devastation and horror that is transpiring in Haiti. Watching the coverage on CNN, I find myself often breaking down from the sadness...

I realize that food/water/candles/medicine, etc.. are in desperate need, however, the looting CANNOT be allowed. If this continues, it will be total bedlam, if it can't get any worse.

Thoughts and prayers,
    God Bless
    Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

January 18, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  41. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson's work in Haiti reminds me of his wonderful reporting after the tsunami, Katrina, and even the Sago Mine tragedy.

It is great to see that Anderson still has the heart and soul of a real journalist.

January 18, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  42. Jennifer

Very proud of you Anderson for helping that young boy!

January 18, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  43. Caroline, Los Angeles

So much pain and loss. We can only hope the the world community will continue to help Haiti with time, talent, and money as the country rebuilds. They literally have to bulldoze cities and parts of cities away and start from scratch.

And I hope the ban all brick buildings when they start to rebuild.

January 18, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  44. Linda Kloote

Is there any news from Hotel Montana re missing Lynn University students and professors. Parents on Larry King earlier talking to US Ambassador who was going to try and get additional help. haven't heard any updates.

January 18, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Dodie, Irvine CA

Anderson! You are doing an Awesome Job!!! Thanks for all the hard work!

Sanjay Gupta... Excellent Job! Thanks for all your help! Thank you for staying at the UN make-shift tent hospital with the UN MDs left!

January 18, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  46. Molly - Orlando, FL

Anderson – thanks for bringing attention to the slow response for aid in Haiti. You shed light on this same issue during Hurricane Katrina – where is the help? Too much time spent "assessing the situation" and enough acutal action to get necessities to the injured, the hungry, the sick, the dying.

January 18, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  47. serenah

I just have a question.... What will happen when people start to forget?
    What will happen when it is no longer on the news?
    We need to take action and help this country for months and years after this tragic event.
    We cannot and should not just stop here.
    If we can help this country and finish what we were sent there to do, we can then work on other poor nations!
    Gid bless !

January 18, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  48. Christina from Canada

Did the aid agencies learn anything from the Tsunami? Is there any comparison?

January 18, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  49. Monica

My heart is in Haiti. Anderson &Dr.Sanjay Gupta, you are both amazing! Peace become still.. NYC MILITARY MOM...I'm keeping Haiti in prayer...

January 18, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  50. LorenaR

the richest country in the world is paying attention to, and pouring out its support for, the poorest country in the world. a great moment in time for our human race, in the midst of tragedy.

January 18, 2010 at 10:23 pm |