January 18th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/18/10

Tonight, live from Haiti, gunfire in the streets as looters target a store in Port-au-Prince. Plus, the medical crisis. Dr. Gupta steps in to perform surgery on a 12-year-old girl and when doctors abandoned their patients. Plus, there's still hope that survivors will be found in the rubble.

Want more insight on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Cory Zachariasen

Thankyou for your great coverage,and for saving that young boy......

January 18, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  2. Evelyn "Mouse" Stasel Ky

Anderson is doing a great Job!

I know it has to be hard being there, because I am just having difficulty watching it!

People may say it is not important for a journalist to be there, but if they were not, We would never get a real sense of how desperatly assistance is needed.

I Loved You before Anderson, Now I Love You even more! My Prayers are with You and the Haitian People.

January 18, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  3. Jasmine Francois-Moore

Brilliant Reporting!

Since watching you I have joined Twitter, CNN iReport and Skype. You are in the country of my mother and father, and we have heard from my Uncle Henry who is alive and made it through the EQ. Anderson, I send prayers up for you that the Angles of the Lord may guard your every step. You are my brother and you have touched my heart – you are family.

Kind regards,

Mrs. Francois-Moore

January 18, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  4. Pam

Anderson, I was wondering why they didn't use the Presidential Palace lawn for a staging ground for medical/food/water? It's a large area in a central location and it's fenced.

January 18, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  5. daniel foster

we need to employ the KISS prenciple in hati-(keep it simple stupid.)
    I see people breaking into stores to loot food etc why don,t they helicopter troops and aid workers to those sites and buy all the store and USE IT FOR A DISTRIBUTION POINT. food is already there use it for the people,buy their stock. you have to buy it here and ship it there and that takes time with the money flowing into that country cost of store stock should not matter. the goverment of hati shoud seize the food to feed the people.?
    df

January 18, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  6. Danielle - Los Angeles

@Caroline, Los Angeles most rescue canines are trained only to recognize the scent of "life" so even if there are dead bodies they will locate the live ones. I suspect that's the case with these canines

January 18, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  7. Mounir

AC , Thanks for your help .

January 18, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  8. Jane - Vt

Good evening all. That was so sad.

CNN will be getting lots of awards for this coverage.

January 18, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Caroline,
    Yes, Dogs can smell where people are trapped in the building or else, they are pull them out of the building.

January 18, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  10. Alisha Hallmark

Hello CNN
    I'm am a High School Student From texas.
    Seeing Everyone come together for this disaster is just fantastic.
    Anderson those pictures you posted Earlier were magnificent.
    All of the Celebrities using the power they hold for good also is amazing it inspires me to do something in my community thank you to everyone that is helping Haiti in it's struggle.

January 18, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  11. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Poor woman, recieving such news. Makes me remember that today I found out that a friend's mom passed away in the earthquake. This is so sad =(

January 18, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  12. Devin

Its a scarry thought to think that this could just as easly happen in New York or Paris do on to those what you would want done onto you. Anderson and all of CNN dont be news reporters=) i think we can live without news(its good to get carity) but those people need more!

January 18, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  13. LorenaR

CNN deserves the highest commendation for your coverage of Haiti. Sanjay Gupta, Anderson Cooper, Ivan Watson and others. mesmerizing and heartbreaking.

January 18, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  14. Caroline, Los Angeles

I think I would be like that mom too. I'd probably wait there until the bulldozers show up in a month.

January 18, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  15. Cynthia, NC

My heart just breaks for that family looking for the little girl.

January 18, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  16. Millie Badolato

STAT: CDTI Hospital, just 5 miles Souith of PAP airport needs help please; the medical director is a family friend! Please let the military know they are in desperate need of help.

January 18, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  17. Danielle - Los Angeles

The faith of the Haitian people is unshakeable. Hope springs eternal has never been more truer than what I've been seeing on CNN this past week. It's amazing.

January 18, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  18. lisa

Anderson Cooper and Dr. Sanjay, u guys r doing a very very wonderful job over in HAITI. MAY GOD BLESS U guys while u guys over there. Thanks u Dr Sanjay for helping out w the injured when others were told to leave. And thank u Anderson Cooper for helping that boy today (1-18-10). U guys again r doing a wonderful job. GOD BLESS U AND GOT BLESS HAITI. much love from Lisa in Mt. Pleasant Michigan

January 18, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  19. Amy Sipes

Anderson you are a true super hero! Thank You for your great coverage in Hati. We in rural Ohio wish there were more that we could do.Thanks CNN For raising 5 million to help!

January 18, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Jennifer

Does it look like Anderson is getting a little tired and/or worried? He keeps looking off to his left during the live shots. I wonder if there is something going off to the left that is a potential concern.

I can't imagine the stress he must be dealing with after everything he is seeing there. Fantastic job covering this CNN. You were the first to go full on with coverage on this recognizing the significance of this catastrophe. Thank you for your continuing stellar coverage.

January 18, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  21. Isabel - Brazil •

Tomorrow???

January 18, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  22. starr formerly known as vincent

@David, Indiana,

Precisely, candles. Why would a business man feel that he needed to protect people from taking his candles or any other pertinent supplies.

I don't understand!

January 18, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  23. Jacqueline, NY

Dr, Gupta's the best. See, it was a good thing after all that he turned down the Surgeon General's position. If he hadn't, he'd still be in Washington while the government geniuses was trying to "figure out" how to get there and help. Incredible!

And speaking of Washington, what is with that?! What is there to figure out? What happened to the "Intelligence"? The President being unable to reach the President of Haiti– CNN spoke to him on the first night. Why didn't president Obama just get CNN to hook him up. Go Figure! That totally just freaking upset me.

CNN needs to form its own relief and rescue team. Forget the red tape. If you can get to these places and set up camp, why can't the American government? Unbelievable!

January 18, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Donna

As a j-school prof, I can vouch that compassion is the most difficult thing to teach... to understand... and to live. It is our highest calling to report the big things that matter to the world yet honor the individual and his or her dignity. Thanks for the great work in Haiti.

January 18, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  25. dorian

Yo Anderson, you're the man, dude. I've always liked you and I saw you rescue that kid that had been hit in the head with the brick earlier tonight. You're genuine, the real deal, and I enjoy hearing your informative, compassionate spin on the news. Keep up the good work, brother.

dorian

January 18, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  26. carolyne tune

You go Anderson! I think what you did with that little boy was fantastic you have become the number one CNN man with me and my other Sr Cit. friends here in FT Worth TX
    God will continue to Bless you
    Stay safe

January 18, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  27. Gloria

Amazing job, Anderson! You're a real humanitarian. Good work, Dr. Gupta and CNN overall. Best news coverage on Haiti. God Bless Haiti and the Haitian children.

January 18, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  28. Monica

Iam from Ohio. We have Ohio Task Force One ready to go to Haiti. They are a search and rescue group trained to do what is so needed in Haiti. These people are at Wright Patterson Air Force Base awaiting to get word that they can come down to do what they are trained to do which is saving lives. If this group were down there, the Hotel Montana would have been uncovered and our America girls would be home. Task Force One has heavy equipment, search dogs to helicopters ready. WHY WHY WHY can't these people get approval to get deployed I am just frustrated and lost for words.

January 18, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  29. Devin

Its a scarry thought to think that this could just as easly happen in New York or Paris do on to those what you would want done onto you. Anderson and all of CNN dont be news reporters=) i think we can live without news but those people need more!

January 18, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  30. Sue

Anderson, thanks for all that you are doing. If you can get any information on the rescue work being done at the Hotel Montana, please tweet it–many family members are not getting any updates on their loved ones. They are desperate for information and the State Dept. is apparently not doing a very good job from all reports.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

January 18, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  31. sam marting

who is in charge of security? is it the UN and haitian police?

January 18, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  32. Terry-toronto

I watched that footage of the young boy in disbilief. If Anderson or any other Samaritan with a heart would not have rescued he would have been definatelu been killed and become just another statistic. It is humbling to see anderson not only unveiling the plight of Haitians but also extending his human heart to them. CNN is definately at the core of this catastrophe.

January 18, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  33. Isabel - Brazil •

@David, Indiana

I think just that ("maybe that's part of why AC were there") about the great job of AC and Dr Gupta ...

January 18, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  34. Elsie

@ Jo Ana, I agree. To my understanding, they were looting candles and trying to resell them. It can be assumed that these candles will be used in the darkness of the night. Although I was angry at first, I came to understand the reasons behind it. Would you agree?

January 18, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Isabel – Brazil
    He is doing good as well. I hear........ Anderson is doing help boy safety right now.

January 18, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  36. georgia Kruusi

I'm sooo sorry, I read all the wonderful posts and then saw that...I know it's reality so we have to see that too. As a veteran I should know that not everything is lovely rescues...

January 18, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  37. Damourude

How come there arent any translators with the distrubutors or Anderson? We need someone to speak Creole not french. Where are the marines? Way to go Anderson you are brave.

January 18, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  38. Kathy K.

Amazing coverage we can't thank you enough.

January 18, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  39. aj

Anderson, Dr. Sanjay and the rest of the CNN team are displaying the true meaning of humanitarian effort. This team is working from the heart, mind, and soul.

January 18, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  40. Mary

I am so inspired by CNN. Anderson, what you did today, getting that bleeding boy away from danger near the store where people were scavenging, that was amazing and heroic. God bless you.

January 18, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  41. Maritza Balbuena

Anderson, you and the other CNN correspondants have been doing a phenomenal job reporting on the situation in Haiti. It's great to see you out there not only as journalists but also as human beings. I saw the footage today of you pulling the young boy to safety. I have also seen the footage of Dr. Gupta helping patients. God Bless you all!

January 18, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  42. Caroline, Los Angeles

I wonder, if the live body is surrounded by dead bodies, can the dogs smell it?

January 18, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  43. Donna

Thanks, Anderson, for knowing when to report and when to help.

January 18, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  44. Shawna - Atlanta

Hats off to you Anderson and your crew. You guys with Sanjay – are truly heroes – risking your lives to give us the real story. If only the groups collecting money will really get their acts together and get their behinds in their in an organized fashion and really help.

So many people need help – so many of us want to help and sitting around is just not helping. We need to move NOW and need a real leader in this crisis. I am soooo ready to help.

January 18, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  45. Caroline, Los Angeles

Yay! L.A. County! They do a great job. It's so hard to do all that digging with bare hands.

January 18, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  46. Mar

Its wonderful all the millions that are being raised... but Haiti needs doctors, the orphange needs water, there are some really important needs that have to be met now...

January 18, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  47. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Yes, I believe there could be people still alive waiting to be rescue.

January 18, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  48. Denny

Anderson, I hope that you continue to push for updated security, medical assistance, and assistance in general for Haiti. From my vantage point in the U.S., the response from the American government has been painfully slow, and has led to needless suffering and death. The promises are there but the response time is unbearable. I salute you for your honesty in reporting this problem... please keep this news in front of the American public.... we need you.

January 18, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  49. Dominique

Dear Mr. Cooper it is with great honor I am taking time to thank you for your courage and dedication towards my country Haiti may God Bless you and your family and keep you safe in Haiti I will continue to pray for you everyday. I have a suggestion and I know that you will touch on it. I am asking you to please let the organizations that are helping in Haiti to please not give any money to the government for development, rebuilding, and roads because they will not do the work they will take the money spread it among themselves and let the population suffer as they have being doing for decades. therefore, please pass it on for me I know you are not intimidated by anyone and you are the perfect person with your team in CNN to pass that message. my suggestion is: use the citizens for the development but overseing the work have a team from the organization not the Haitian government supervise the work to make sure that it is being done and no one is stealing the money that everyone around the world work so hard for. I thank you for your cooperation and understanding in that matter it is my biggest fear for Haiti. the government is very corrupt and they do not care about the people they care about themselves and their family not the poor we the world need to care for them,

I thank you and may the Lord continue to bless you

January 18, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  50. Ivo Jasek

I',m Very proud of you Anderson... you did the right thing and a great thing. Through your actions and reporting (that get the help coming) you have saved more people than this E.M.T. (for 22 years now) can ever hope to save in his life time.

Much Respect,