January 18th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/18/10

Tonight, live from Haiti, gunfire in the streets as looters target a store in Port-au-Prince. Plus, the medical crisis. Dr. Gupta steps in to perform surgery on a 12-year-old girl and when doctors abandoned their patients. Plus, there's still hope that survivors will be found in the rubble.

Want more insight on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jean

It approximately one week since the earthquake hit Haiti. One would think that by last Thursday or Friday at least the Haitians would have received adequate food and water.
    Anderson you are so correct. Too much time was taken for assessment; to plan their strategy. In the meantime note how aggressive some people are. They are desperate for food and water and especially those who are injured. I can only hope that it will not get worst.
    Does the UN and other world governments not have some plan to get there quickly with food and clothing to those who are affected by disasters? I am unable to comprehend why they took so much time with all this assessment and red tape I would say while the Haitians are desperate for food, water and medical supplies. Surely they could have done better? It hurts my heart to see what is happening in the area where you are located.
    Anderson, keep safe and well. Also Dr. Sanjay, dedicated Doctor.
    God bless all of you!

January 18, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Hans Saintvilnoel (Brooklyn, NY)

I'm a former US Navy sailor, a trained firefighter, an a crowd control specialist, served in desert fox was on the USS Carl. Vinson in 1998. I want to go down there & help out. I'm looking to link with an administration on the ground that could use my expertise. I am Fluent in French, English, Haitian Creole & I know the Haitian terrain & the culture very well.

January 18, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Samantha, Boston MA

I am praying for both of you as well as the members of your crew and the people of Haiti. Stay safe!

January 18, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  4. Dulcie - Denver

I'm amazed at the coverage you and the rest of the CNN team is providing to the rest of the world. Also, that none of you let it get in the way of being human and stepping in to save and protect people when you need to. That takes both personal and professional courage. You and Dr. Gupta are doing wonderful things for the people of Haiti.

That said, I'm curious at where you put it all. The grief, death, visions of dead bodies. I can't imagine.

5. Seraida

Thanks to the group at CNN for your great coverage . For showing the realities. God Bless, and may he continue to give u the strength!!

Your quick actions probably saved an innocent life!

6. Jerry

This tradegy unimaginable. The billions of dollars that the reconstruction is going to cost. We are not just talking 1-2 years but multidude of years. Where will the money go??? There must be strict oversite, but just like 9/11 and the Katrina disaster, our nature is to forget. WE must never forget.

7. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on tonight–I've caught many of your reports throughout the weekend. Your day to day accounts of what is happening in Haiti are exceptional. I really hope there is improvement in organized assistance rather than a leaning toward desperate action–as seen with the looting and so forth. You are doing a great job–stay safe.

8. kathy

AC you are an inspiration.....

9. Isabel - Brazil •

The world is aware. Now, we must turn this sensitivity into practical help!

People become violent out of desperation!

10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@Chris

Yes! I agree with you! 🙂

11. Barbara

Hi Anderson,

You and Dr. Gupta are phenomenal! You usually mention the dogs. I hear there are problems with stray and pet dogs, as well as, many goats and other animals not having food. Please tell us about it.

12. KC

One wonders why central Port Au Prince has not been cleared and cordoned off as of yet. I don't see any compelling reason for people to be there especially since they are unlikely to re-inhabit standing structures. Clearing that area of people and debris has got to be a priority if Haiti's government is to return to active service. The looting and violence is so unecessary.

13. Sandra

Anderson I always thought that you were sexy, now you are my hero!

14. Danielle - Los Angeles

@Meret, I was thinking the same thing about Sanjay today.

15. Kathy Chicago

AC, you and Dr G have extraordinary heart and soul. You both reach out to help all you can even while reporting. CNN's coverage and out reach has been remarkable.

16. Shanny

I think what freaks me out is thinking of all the people very much alive who will never be found in those pockets within buildings. What do they die of? Dehydration?

January 18, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  17. Erika

You really do give us a good sense of what is going on in the midst of this tragedy. Thank you Anderson. You're amazing.

January 18, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't blame people for taking supplies to care for their families, but looting the goods to sell to desperate people is unforgivable!

January 18, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  19. Marty-Charlotte NC

Anderson – thank you for your reporting-you are amazing. We American's have raised millions of dollars for this devastated country and it's people and yet our government is having such a problem getting their act together to get it to the people – water, food, medical assistance. Keep them honest Anderson-we need answers to why we can't seem to finish the job. Thanks for covering the Israeli hospital setup. Our medical community should be ashamed. Keep up your coverage-the truth needs to be told. Please, please be careful-America needs your reporting to keep the truth in front of us. You are a hero.

January 18, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  20. Nehemie

You are doing an outstanding Job in inform the world about the reality of the Chaos in Haiti. Please very becareful overthere and include the whole CNN staff on site.

January 18, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  21. Mike (VA)

Anderson is a human being first, and a journalist second. We are so lucky to have him covering events like this and Katrina. Keep up the good work CNN and AC360.

January 18, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  22. Maria

CNN is in a league of their own. No other channel covered as extensively and in depth. Anderson Cooper and Dr. Gupta, you have just changed and redefined the role of your colleagues. CNN has done it again.

I wish you and all your staffers that are behind the scenes Godspeed. Thank you very much for all you do. It is appreciated.

January 18, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  23. starr formerly known as vincent

We need someone like Lt. Gen. Honore' (NOLA) to organize the logistics".

The longer they wait for "security, the more likely the people will get out of hand. Send supplies, drop supplies. After so many days could you stay calm>?

I remain increasingly disappointed at the lack of priorities and the delivery of food & water, not to mention get a Huge amount of people and equipment for rescue.

January 18, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  24. Ivana Castillo

Wow...the scene with Anderson carrying the bloody child really made this whole thing more real to me. Brought tears to my eyes. Unbelievable that I am sitting so comfortably in my Arizona living room and so many people are suffering. I feel very fortunate for my life and whatever I thought was "bad" about my day doesnt compare to the horror that the Haitians are living at this exact moment.

January 18, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  25. Meret

And Sanjay. the Lord works in mysterious ways. Had you taken that job in the Obama administration, where would those people in that hospital have been when the doctors and nurses fled like cowards.

You are amazing!

January 18, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  26. Lisa

From your reports, It seems like life-savers and medical teams have been slow in reaching Haiti. I wonder what some of the major and richest universities are doing- I am from Philly and haven't heard UPenn sending supplies or doctors over. It's unpardonable.

January 18, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  27. lyle c richardson

great job andersoncooper- people shouldnt be surprised after 6 days of little to no relief aid, about the unrest, fighting, and rioting or looting starting to unfold- my god , look at what these haitians have been through...

January 18, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  28. Samantha, Boston MA

Anderson Cooper and Sanjay Gupta are true heroes and angels. They honestly make me believe in the good of people. I have never been as inspired by two people as am I by them. They save people's lives and they are just so amazing and beautiful. God Bless both of you.

January 18, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  29. Monica M. Williams

To Anderson, Gary, Dr. Gupta, Ivan, now Solidad and all the other CNN crew members on the ground in Haiti, THANK YOU!

Thank you for your stict-to-iv-ness in covering Haiti’s story. Loyal viewers such as myself are here watching, donating and keeping you guys in our prayers as well. Hang in there! None of your work is in vain.

Secondly, The Red Cross rocks! I voluntered with them briefly after Hurricane Katrina. Disaster recovery is what they do! Based upon first hand experience, this is the organization to get behind.

January 18, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Maria,
    Anderson is staying in Haiti this week.

January 18, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  31. Enrique Rodolfo Cook-Chapa

This is an awesome opportunity for Americans to step up and show their willingness to help others in need. My greatest wish is that the United States continues with their efforts to help rebuild Haiti.

32. Dodie, Irvine CA

Good Evening Anderson and 360 team

33. Lynda

I don't understand why the American businessman would load his food on the truck and not help those that are suffering such loss.

34. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, everyone. Great job carrying that kid away from the looting Anderson, maybe that's part of why you were there. Please be careful.

Great report, very to the point when it comes to distributing aid as you note.

I didn't think of that, but candles of course would be incredibly useful when power is out throughout the city. Candles give heat as well as illumination, but there is a fire hazard too. Are there survival candles, like those people carrry in their cars in the winter, being distributed in survival kits.

35. Lynn Waller Kelowna, BC Canada

-it really amazes me that at all the burial sites that there is nobody recording who is where what a bad nightmare!!!

36. Antonio -West Hollywood , CA

Keep the Good Work !!
    becareful , come back home safe .....

37. kashmier

This may sound like a stupid question but did Anderson loose his camera when he so bravely picked up the bleeding boy when the looting was going on? And how is the boy?

38. georgia Kruusi

Good evening all...Anderson...I'm sorry, but I was just watching..and all those looters were around you...and that's okay with them and with you for a photo shot????? I'm not sure how I feel about that...nauseating for me.....dang, don't know what to think....

39. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

They need crowd control. You are a good hearted man, Anderson. Please be careful.

40. Elizabeth Campbell

Do you know anything about the BREMA orphans – did the plane leave yet? Governor Rendell was reported at the airport a couple of hours ago and was very angry. So many people are praying that they are on their way to Pennsylvania. Thank you for all you do.

41. Lisa L

Dear Anderson,

Now you’ve done your report,

How awe inspiring!

Global support has come,

Lots more on the way,

Hope you have a safe return soon.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

42. Youssouf

Wow Anderson !!! You and Sanje are my heroes !!!!!

43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Elsie,

"I am surprised that "looting" did not happen sooner. These people are desperate"

I don't think anyone knows for sure when the looting started.

44. Peter in NYC

Really impressed with and thankful for your coverage. Thinking on reports that the level of medical care is analogous to the Civil War era and seeing all the crush injuries that are becomming infected I was wondering if old medical tech like maggot therapy could be brought to bear to clean and disinfect wounds?

January 18, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  45. Caroline, Los Angeles

Hello Anderson, CNN and bloggers; what a story that looting story was. I hope that boy got some help.

January 18, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  46. Meret

And AC, saw what you did for that boy. You are and remain my hero.

January 18, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  47. Shanny

Thank-you for showing what happened today with the looting BUT making it clear that this is the first incident of it that you've seen.

Keep it authentic and in perspective so things don't get blown totally out of proportion. That's good journalism.

January 18, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  48. Andrea

I can't believe what is going on in Haiti. Its very hard to watch. Anderson please be safe and keep up the good reporting. And God Bless the people of Haiti.

January 18, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  49. Meret

One should be aware that the prison collapsed and many dangerous, psychopathic men are on the loose. I would wager that most of this violent behavior can be traced back to them.

Secondly, when people are left to their own devices in desperate situations those who are borderline psychotic cross the line.

Take note America because God forbid this happens here. It will be the same nightmare.

January 18, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  50. Betty Murphy

Terrific coverage, Anderson! Journalists all over the world can look to you for "Keeping them Honest"! Remember..bullets go up and they have to come down..BE SAFE and take care.....

January 18, 2010 at 10:10 pm |