January 18th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/18/10

Tonight, live from Haiti, gunfire in the streets as looters target a store in Port-au-Prince. Plus, the medical crisis. Dr. Gupta steps in to perform surgery on a 12-year-old girl and when doctors abandoned their patients. Plus, there's still hope that survivors will be found in the rubble.

Want more insight on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Mike

Flight coordination to Haiti is being prioritized by Florida National Guard Haitian Flight Operations Coordination Center while operating from its center at Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla.
    They coordinate with UN and US government for prioritizing flights

January 18, 2010 at 11:54 pm |
  2. Mark

Just back from Haiti this morning... there's very little order. AC you are right on point. Need a chief in each area...

January 18, 2010 at 11:54 pm |
  3. Sharon

As upset as I have been about the orphans (I've even been emailing politicians about this) I have to agree with Anderson Cooper. How could a plane to take orphans get in but medical help can't get in. I am relieved that the orphans are getting out but now concerned about the lack of medical supplies.Thanks to Anderson for asking some of the same questions I've had. Someone needs to step up & take charge of the important things urgently needed right now.

January 18, 2010 at 11:54 pm |
  4. Sara Klein/16

Aderson Cooper,Thankyou for all that you are doing!You are so right on!Me and my family have been missionarys in the Dominican Republic for 20 years with the Christian Dominican Medical Mission.My dad did just as you said:He along with one of my brothers and two Haitians(to interpret)
    went to Port-Au-Prince with a mission truck full of antibiotics and other supplies to help with the disaster relief there.He will return only when he runs out of meds.God Bless,and be safe!

January 18, 2010 at 11:54 pm |
  5. maya

I can't help but following the events on CNN..non stop...we owe this to Haitians...
    I really tremendously respect and appreciate both Anderson, Dr Sanjay and the rest of the reporters speaking their minds and souls, and telling the truth of what they are feeling, and witnessing on the grounds...I think that there is no wrong in criticizing the bureaucracy of relief efforts when the cause is saving lives!
    We Should Never Forget.....the calamities that are happening around us...We Should Never Forget!

January 18, 2010 at 11:54 pm |
  6. Lori in Libertyville, IL

Thank you for the incredible reporting the entire CNN team is doing from Haiti. My family and I consider you heroes.

January 18, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  7. Carlyle - Canada

I love your rant!! They should atlease try to organise the crowd by giving instructions to the people from a bullhorn on what to do and where to go...

I used to live in Haiti and honestly... the goverment there is so corrupt that I'm not sure if even yourself with all your good intentions could keep them honest... But I admire you for trying.

You have to remember that not too long ago, people would get killed by the "Macouts" for ranting like you are now and trying to keep the goverment honest.

Keep up the good work; you and Dr. Gupta are the man!!

January 18, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  8. Jasmine Pitts

Dr. Sanjay Gupta is doing a fantastic job in Haiti taking care of the sick patients. Especially the 25 that were abandoned on Friday. I want to say thank you Dr. Gupta. Keep up the good work and thank you.

January 18, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  9. Elsie

Anderson is speaking the truth right now! This is ridiculous! Please find who is making these decisions so that we (all of us) can send them our complaints!

January 18, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  10. Molly

Doctors Without Borders can't get in? Call the airport and ask who is making this decision. Make sure to get their names.

January 18, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  11. Parthiban

Besides your extraordinary coverage on the rescue missions, orphanages, food distribution and emerging riots going on at Haiti (my sincere appreciation on that), I would like to see the government of Haiti speaking to the press about their part of recovery, mistakes and responsibility. I am curious to see local leaders helping and being role models, in front of camera. I read in so many articles that UN and other non-profit organizations have been helping for years to overcome the poverty even before the disasters. One cannot spoon feed them forever, they have to learn from their mistakes.

A disaster can only be overcome if they heal from within. Without willingness to change no external force can improve the situation. Feeding free supplies to healthy will lead to more laziness, violence, neverending shortage of supply (like a blackhole).

A dumb suggestion "Make the physically capable people to help remove the debris for the food/shelter/water they get, make them help in return as a matter of return in loyalty. Afterall am asking them to give a helping hand to help them. This is where local leaders can influence more"

January 18, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  12. cherie spells

it is vital that all componets of emer response come togegther, yes retriveing folks from collasped bulidings is needed but without what follows it means nothing. Emer reponse is an effort to multitask all aspects of the mission. Those closer that can be there quicker with the basic needs of search and rescue should be there mean while others of those teams can be commendering land setting up and awaiting the arrival of other help. If this is an International response get a true cooridinated emer response plan.

January 18, 2010 at 11:52 pm |
  13. Jennifer Harrison

Where are the helicopters? There has got to be a reason that helicopters are not landing in the cities and delivering help asap? helicopters can land almost anywhere and come and go back and forth with help>???

January 18, 2010 at 11:52 pm |
  14. Cheryl

Are these flights on any kind of schedule. I know that the military supposedly took the airport over and I am sure that they would have to have flights being on a schedule instead of 100 planes showing up at one time. There needs to be an answer for these questions of planes being turned away. Even if they were sent to the Dominican Republic, it has been a week. Where are they? Ask. ask and ask again.

January 18, 2010 at 11:52 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, what you are saying makes too much common sense. As you know governments and bureaucracies don't have any common sense.

January 18, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  16. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

You GO Anderson!!

January 18, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  17. Mary

Anderson, what did HILLARY CLINTON say about this TOTAL lack of health care control over this situation. The COMFORT...are they there and working yet?

Again...this political nightmare about who gets help there FIRST to make their political "debut" is ridiculous!

The RED cross has been contacted by me almost everyday...I can even work AT BETHESDA to cover RN's who go on Comfort....No response.
    During Katrina...they called me in two days!!!

SOMETHING is going ON in politics!!!!
    They don't WANT help there...WHY?

Thanks
    Sanjay....How much head trauma are you seeing that is "salvagable" at this point. Traumatic Brain Injury!
    Decadron!
    ICP monitoring...

Is there humanity in politics?

Thanks again guys!

January 18, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  18. Tripti and Leo Macias- North Pole, Alaska

Hello Anderson,
    You and your fellow CNN team are doing an incredible job reporting from Haiti. It does look like it is very frustrating as you are seeing, smelling, and dealing with the situation first hand. Your footage of the young boy rescued today was so touching and sensitive, thank you for your quick response and the action.
    Your hard work and contribution is greatly appreciated. You guys are awesome for what you are doing.
    God Bless and keep you all safe. You, the CNN team, and the people of Haiti are in our family prayers.

January 18, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  19. lyle c richardson

andersencooper– please investigate why our paratroops wernt sent in early wed morning.

January 18, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  20. Roger

Great work Anderson and your team. There are 5 or 6 Airports in haiti, can they not be used in some way?

January 18, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  21. Lorna, Florida

I'm on the soapbox with you Anderson. I love children too but why are we talking about orphans that seem to be healthy. The supplies and military should have been dropped at locations throughout the city/country no later than day 2. We can't rebuild New Orleans after Katrina so why do we think we can actually organize another disaster!
    I am so frustrated watching TV, I don't see how you are handling this situation being on the ground in Haiti.

January 18, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  22. Cindy

Anderson, I feel your frustration just through your broadcasts. I can't imagine what it is like being there, on the ground. We want to help, but cannot find the resource we are looking for. My immediate thought is to take a child out of there, but that seems impossible at this point. We will keep researching and would appreciate any help you could provide.
    A Canadian with an open heart and home.

January 18, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  23. whitney Nash

I have CNN coverage of the Haiti diseaster. One question. Dr. Gupta is great but, where are the nurses? Are the doctors the only ones taking care of the people of Haiti? If there are none there, I know plenty who want to go.

January 18, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  24. Bob bertoldi

For God's sake..."This is an EMERGENCY...not a Government Election. Find out who is responsible for all red tape and rediculous hold ups and delays and let him know there is no excuse for his insensitivity to this horendous dissaster. We should of had military security on the streets the second day...and I am afraid becuase of all the delays it is probably too late to save the people thats still under rubble. The medical people are at hand....USE THEM... NOW!

January 18, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  25. lisa materna

Rant on Anderson....please get louder....and ask the big dogs these hard questions!~~

January 18, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  26. Molly

It's very unfortunate that the adoption process takes so long. These children should be with their adoptive parents as infants so bonding and proper language development can take place.

January 18, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  27. Graham

Anderson, please ask Soledad to write her needs list and calmly on camera in front of the world challenge the group of American Soldiers at the Port-au-Prince Airport to show the initiative to get what she needs to her at the orphanage within the next two hours.

January 18, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
  28. Marie C labissiere

Dear Mr. Cooper:

Thank you so very much for your coverage on Haiti my beloved homeland. Please keep asking the right questions because I just do not understand why the Haitian government is MIA . Where are they how come they are not here helping you?????????????????????????

You and Dr. Gupta are angels and my heroes

January 18, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
  29. Jon

Anderson, I agree with your rant about the Haiti Government, but it also brings up a topic for this and future disasters. How hard would it be for first responders to set up a centralized official website/clearinghouse for people to list missing people. You or fellow correspondents mentioned that all day long people asked where they could go to find out about missing people. In this technological age, with Sat phones, WiFi, etc etc. it should be fairly easy for tech people to work out a way for initial response teams to set up locations where people could report missing people and others could access and add to or learn from. Good reporting, I enjoy your work. Keep it up you guys and thanks for this.

January 18, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
  30. Nadia

WHO is making the judgment call to not allow Doctors without Boarders to land? Is it our military. since they are controlling the airport? What is going on? They cannot be surprised when people rise in the street, it is a week already. Who can we call from here? What can we do from here? Now?

January 18, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
  31. Susan

Anderson, I absolutely love you! Please, all of you there, take care of yourselves both physically and mentally. You are doing a fantastic job and a wonderful service to all of us. Hang in there! You need support yourself!!

And yes, you are asking the right questions and your frustrations are valid!!!

January 18, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Jane – Vt
    Good night, See you tomorrow night.

Anderson!
    Yes! I agree complete with you, Way to go!!!!!!!!! 🙂

January 18, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
  33. Sara

WHo do we contact to get that DWB plane on the ground?! please tell the viewers who to contact rather than blog on CNN

January 18, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
  34. lisa

good evening to all first i want to say to all the people of haiti my heart goes out to you all and in my prayers....

than i would like to say to the team of cnn workers and reporters, i would like to say from the bottom of my heart you are all hero's in my eyes and to all the workers down ther trying to save live my thoughts and prayers go out to you all......

THANKS MR COPPER AND THE HOLE TEAM DOWN THERE FOR YOUR GREAT WORK BE SAFE

January 18, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
  35. diane goren

anderson, you and sanjay are doing great. Need some good news.
    8 Drs. from St. Joseph Hospital (Baltimore, MD) on way to Haiti, took
    1 week vacation, be there Tuesday. Dr. Carolyn Ritter (Ob/Gyn) from
    GBMC (baltimore hospital) there now – delivered infant today.
    Our USNS Comfort Ship left Balto Harbor -be in Haiti Thursday.
    Two Helicopters on board to transport patients. Surgical suites,
    Surgeons, beds, etc – – a full Hospital!

Too much frustration hearing AID Head, etc with red tape.

January 18, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
  36. Jacqueline, NY

Who is telling them they can not land? and why?

January 18, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
  37. Tom Crozier

Turn the camera around and introduce your team!!!

Tom Crozier
    Granada, Nicaragua

January 18, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
  38. elizabeth t.

there are hundreds, probably thousands of homes here in the US eager to adopt and/or temporarily house children that are in need. how would families here that are willing and prepared to care for children get in contact with officials that would make that happen? how can we get supplies directly to orphanages? after what i've seen on the three major news channels, i feel like i should send Dr. Gupta all the supplies directly, and let him get it to them. also, do you know of any instances of our military able to drop a group of soldiers in a field perhaps, start two lines, one of women/children, the other of men, and THEN drop food and water? it wouldn't take a lot of soldiers...the UN is continuing to fail miserably, and i feel very strongly that if the crowds saw a secure and efficient food dispersment program taking place with our no nonsense military, things would go smoothly...just a thought.

January 18, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  39. Fay-CA

The footage of Anderson helping that injured boy out of the crowd in Haiti is simply heartwrenching and it's one of many images coming out of CNN's incredible coverage that will stay with me for a long time. Amazing work by Anderson and CNN's team of reporters.

January 18, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  40. Patricia

Anderson Cooper is my hero for going to the aid of the young Haitian boy that was hit by a concrete rock and was bleeding heavily from the head. Anderson doens't only report professionally he reports with his heart. You are a good human being Anderson.

January 18, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  41. Melina Pichardo

AC, u are forever a hero in my heart for trying to help that young boy. I pray for u and all the CNN crew working hard there.

January 18, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  42. William Ferguson

Anderson, your doing a great job. The corruption in Haiti is very frustrating. These corrupt political leaders in Haiti are to blame for a lot of preventable deaths. How can a leader of a country let his people suffer like that and do nothing, it's mind boggling.

January 18, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  43. David, Indiana

Anderson, evacuating the orphans would be included in the four priorities that President Obama mentioned Food, water, medicine, and Shelter, esp for children at an orphanage where they are having trouble getting food.

Chris Lawerence's pt about the very first priority being saving lives is important follow to the discussion w/ Dr. Redlener. Sticking to priorities in this situation must be an tremendously difficult, but doing it leads to rescues that have a much greater chance of success.

It is hard to get the big picture. Is formula on the way to those children at the Orhpanage Soledad O'briend is reporting from?

How are people in Port au Prince finding each other? Via family in the US, media here, Red Cross, CNN, state dept, but how within the city?

@Starr but if the store is looted and destroyed, maybe there will be no chance for future supplies arriving there to be distributed.

January 18, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  44. Caroline-Seattle

Anderson God Bless you and all the CNN team !
    Come back home safe!
    We are praying for everyone in Haiti....

January 18, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  45. Dulcie - Denver

@Beata

I've been asking the same question! Why don't they marshal the Haitian people to help clear the streets and organize crowds for food distribution. It might cut down on the 'looting', etc. if they feel they can actually do something. They just need some guidance.

I've never been to Haiti, but everything I've heard tells me they are good, hard working and perservering people. Give them a chance! Please, people shouldn't be afraid because they're poor and black.

January 18, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  46. Marie C labissiere

Dear Mr. Cooper:

January 18, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  47. Scott

Mr. Cooper, I am glued to your show every night and CNN with the in depth coverage you are all providing on Haiti. Please all of you be careful down there with the unrest possibly growing.

January 18, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  48. Deb

Anderson, you are great.
    I REALLY think you should try to interview the Haitian government reps to find out why everything is so slow. I look forward to that interview and your questions to them. It is my understanding the Haitian governement is telling everyone else what to do, but there is still too much chaos as you have said. Their President could be driving through the streets with a bullhorn telling people exactly what is going to happen, where to go, and when, as you suggested on the air. I am concerned that serious disorder will occur shortly and everyone will stand around waiting for orders from the Haitian government. I think they should totally relinquish control to the U.S. military.

January 18, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  49. Theresa Leahy

Could ALL the relief, rescue and medical agencies set-up camps in a circle around the city?
    Could the local police and the military volunteers sent from other countries encourage the people to move out to the camps for help?
    Could the camps have field hospitals, food tents, tents for sleeping and a location where a census could be taken?
    Could this help clear the path for heavy equipment and rescue workers to get in to work?
    At the camps could the healthy people be encouraged to help in the camps and in the rescues?

Thank you for the running lists of agencies to donate to for specific types of assistance to be given.

January 18, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  50. Wendy

I think that all the relief that is being given to the people of Haiti is showing the world what the world can do when there is a major catastrophe that the world has not had to conquer as of yet....I would like to know why there was not the same attention paid to the people of the Katrina disaster...especially by their own people....they are still struggling and if they had a small portion of the funds that are now part of the Haiti relief, they may be on their way to getting on their feet again.....I am from Canada and think we should look after our own first....I am not suggesting that the people of Haiti should not be assisted by any means, but what about us........if we look after our own and are strong, we can probably do twice as much for others as we would have the strength to give what we have been given.....it is not politics, it is life......

January 18, 2010 at 11:45 pm |