January 18th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/18/10

Tonight, live from Haiti, gunfire in the streets as looters target a store in Port-au-Prince. Plus, the medical crisis. Dr. Gupta steps in to perform surgery on a 12-year-old girl and when doctors abandoned their patients. Plus, there's still hope that survivors will be found in the rubble.

Want more insight on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Melina Pichardo

AC, u are forever a hero in my heart for tring to help that young boy. I pray for u and all the CNN crew working hard there.

January 18, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  2. Nate

Tonight I wrote my two state senators and begged them to contact the archdiocese of Atlanta to see if they can work together to help get any of the orphans to Georgia. Their welfare cannot be guaranteed in Haiti. I pray that our local governments may assist these children in their time of need.

January 18, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  3. J. Tucker

Good for you for asking about why the PA governor gets in and doctors don't... keep asking these questions!!! How many MORE orphans – and yes, they are cute – could be saved with a team of doctors rather than a governor. It's about making good choices – for orphans, and everyone else suffering. Be safe there – we care about you!!

January 18, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  4. Peter

Anderson everyone with CNN is doing a great covering the earthquake in Haiti. Dr Sanjay Gupta deserves a Nobel Prize for all he has done for those in Haiti and around the World.

Get real!! The Haitian Government isn't going to do a thing. That's why the country is in the shape it's in.

We need to take the bull by the horns and make things happen. Didn't we learn anything from Katrina?

May I suggest setting strategic distribution points for food, water and medical assistance.
    Keep up the good work. We are all pulling for you!

January 18, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  5. Vince

AC360 Team. Thanks for providing a venue or means of access through live blog so that we can get the news and give feedback on the crisis in Haiti live with Anderson- this is no show.

January 18, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  6. Peggy

Another thought, Where is the Red Cross Hospital Ship that was suppose to be in Haiti yesterday????? Why can't the people that need operations to flown to the carrier?????

January 18, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  7. Caroline, Los Angeles

Well I'm going to log off. You and Dr. Gupta and Gary and that new guy (lol) are all doing a wonderful job. You are our eyes and our voices. Thanks so much for all of that.

January 18, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  8. Kim

Realizing adoption takes a long time, is there any plan for temporary foster homes in various places to help save these children ?. While processes have their place, right now logic and common sense is appropriate not bureaucratic red tape. How can an average family step in to help these children even if only temporarily??????!!!!

January 18, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  9. allenkat

Please Anderson, Can you address how those of us who have not already started an adoption process might be able to do so now. I understand the process before the quake was 1-3 years. Will they be speeding up this process now so that these children will not have to stay there any longer than they absolutely have to?

January 18, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  10. Jordan

Life & Action with Purpose...
    Anderson within hours you were in Haiti, thanks for your "Compassionate Journalism". Many blessing to you and the people of Haiti.

January 18, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  11. Diann

Anderson and the CNN reporter, and all the other teams from around the world. Your all doing a great job! Keep your spirits up and try not to get to frustrated (it's a low energy).

Invoke the Violet Flame – I am a being of violet fire I am the purity God desire.

Haiti shall overcome! Haiti ...Stay faithful and prayed up and remember there's power in the spoken word!

Anderson and all who's assisting Haiti...You all have a beautiful heart full of compassion and unconditional love!

God speed!

Diann

January 18, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  12. yolette

I agreed with u Anderson, bcuz people r dying n there's no one from the Haitian's government in the ground taking initiative to do anything for their people. The President is totally absent n many haitians like me wd like to see his involvement. At least use microphones to address these people on the street n direct them to go to the countryside to somehow free PauP.

January 18, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  13. Tzila

Good comment from someone above: be careful of blood borne pathogens...wear gloves!!! Very important!

January 18, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  14. Ann

Anderson: Your "rant" regarding the Haitian government have been my thoughts for days. Where is the government? I have yet to see their President. Show your face and make an attempt at easing your citizens' fears. Your reporting has been amazing and Dr. Sanjay has been unbelievable. God Bless and stay safe!

January 18, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  15. Mike Simmons

My wife and I are interested in adoption! How? Who to contact? When we saw the number of children that are orphaned in Haiti, we both felt led to pursue this!!

January 18, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  16. Nadia

I am so eager to adopt a child from Haiti, but I have heard the process now will be worse than it was before given the catastrophe.

January 18, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  17. Lisa

2 things.
    First of all, my thoughts and hopes are with the people of Haiti.
    Second, the world owes a big thank you to all the journalists out there, bringing us these stories every day, and keeping the world's eyes focused on this unimaginable disaster. We see what's going on, it's compelling us to help, and we can't thank you enough for showing it to us so we know how to respond and how great the need is.

January 18, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  18. Lynda

Anderson,
    I was just watching you on CNN Hati and I can see you are getting discourage!! In a perfect whole there would be no natural diasters!! I think every situation is handle differently and we as a nation can only learn from our mistakes!! This is so sad knowing that there are people buried alive, not enough medical hospitals and the little children should be sent to any parents that are willing to take them and love them!! But know that you are doing all that you can do!! So many people in the world love how you and your teams are risking your life to report on this earthquake!! I wish I could only be a brave as you reporters!! Keep doing a wonderful job letting the world see the spirt of the Hatians and how giving humans can be!! God Speed and be safe!! Lynda from Ariz

January 18, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  19. Sara

I second jacqueo's comment. We are very curious how the news operation is actually able to continue and what difficulties with food water shelter have meant for the reporting teams in haiti

January 18, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  20. John Seddon

Anderson, great job- have been with you every night.. Would you see if you can see if the Red Cross is sending in anymore Volenteers. I was told that at this time No one is going.......thanks you Anderson for what you are doing .......the best in reporting......John Seddon......

January 18, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  21. Catherine Lee

Go Anderson! Keep asking those tough questions. No one else is and they are important. You and your team are doing a fantastic, unbelievable job!!! Thank you.

January 18, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  22. Mike

Anderson,
    All these orphanages that are overwhelmed by the earthquake and can't either process their adoptions or care for the children need to have the children evacuated from the country for medical reasons. It cuts through all the red tape of bureaucracy of processing time. It should be declared a medical evacuation. Any place state side would be better than where they're at now. Why can't the state department arrange the evacuation with the US military, load up the orphans in transports and execute a medical evacuation? Thanks for all the great work, you and Dr. Gupta's are the real heroes in telling this story and being personally involved in this tragedy. Continue to tell it like you see it.

January 18, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  23. Jean Romans

You ask why one can get in to Haiti and another can't? I truly believe it's politics, afraid to step on each goverment toes, money exchange to the right influence, the typical daily advantages to those who know someone or has money. Yeh for the orphans but this is inadaquate! Why does everyone have to wait for permission? Just give the military permission-all military, too start a plan of action. Things will get done as long as we can forget who is "the better" and be equals. Not enough is being done for those IN PAIN and DYING from lack of a surgery. This is again "red tape" as in all the other disasters. There should be a different set of "rules" when peoples lives are at stake!! This is a frustrating disaster. I cannot imagine you being there, seeing, touching those lovely people and hearing this information that doctors are waiting for PERMISSION to get there to help? Why cannot a plane land that has so much to give the wounded. I am really angry at those who have the power, know they have the power. I want to be handed one of those babies so that I could know I helped one life. I would be willing to foster or give a home to one of those beautiful children if they brought them to the US for refuge. I am disturbed that there are humans who can look past the suffering for saving face or afraid to let other countries lead in the rescues of their people.

You do an awesome job covering as well as all your co-workers. Thank you for bringing the Haiti world into my life and covering all that you have. You have made many miracles happen. I pray for these lovely people and for those who can make things happen to give comfort to the suffering in Haiti. Thank you~

January 18, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  24. Stephanie Mann-Marinello

Anderson, God Bless You for your work in Haiti. Thank you for having the courage to step in and rescue the child who got hit in the head with a rock at the candle incident today. May God continue to protect you and the CNN team as you all bring the truth of this horrific tragedy to us, here, in America while trying to save lives. I am also grateful for Dr. Gupta's involvement. May God protect you and bring you home safe!!!!

January 18, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  25. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

You are right! It seems that the Haitian people are all alone without their government ruler to help them through this situation.

January 18, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  26. Sonya

AC, you're absolutely correct that it makes no sense to turn away Doctors without Borders in order to take out orphans. Decisions should be based on what will most counter imminent loss of life, and that, in my opinion, means medical care. The orphans can wait a little bit. Not that I don't have empathy - my donations are going to aid the children! 🙂

January 18, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  27. Lori

Alexander is very cute.

January 18, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  28. Linda

Raise the questions!!! You have the power in Haiti TO RAISE THE QUESTIONS!!! Find out the answers, the truth and report it! The people of the world need YOU to hold accountable the large organizations that have received thousands and/or millions of money from people who care....the people who want to be there helping but instead donate our money. We depend on the Red Cross and UNICEF to spend our money wisely and PROMPTLY help those in need. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK AND MAY GOD KEEP YOU AND THE OTHER SAFE AND HEALTHY.

AGAIN....IT'S OKAY TO RAISE THE QUESTION! FIND THE TRUTH!

January 18, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  29. Michelle

Dr. Gupta, thank you. CNN team thank you. Thank you for all your efforts in Haiti.

January 18, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  30. Dennis

Anderson and the entire CNN team need some time to decompress and process all the horrer they have seen. Bring them home for a break. Their reporting is taking on a sense of panic that is not advancing the story of this dire situation. Anderson and Dr. Gupta have understandably become a part of the story. I applaud your entire team and fear that they are nearing their breaking point. We need their objectivity to try to understand this disaster.

January 18, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  31. Lynette

no surprise that Haiti has not seen the help they need. Anderson is so entitled to his anger. contact me and I will tell you why, too much for this form of communication. I can substantiate my input. been the victim's help and was sent away and needed aid was put in garbage bags and thrown away. what was left was next to nothing. people just gave up. let me tell someone my story, will answer your questions of frustration

January 18, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  32. Dulcie - Denver

You go Anderson! Rant away!

January 18, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  33. Berttie

Anderson, speaking about government earlier., Why does the government have a Palace when the live in poverty.

January 18, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  34. Sara Klein/16

Anderson Cooper,Thankyou for all that you are doing.You are so right on!Me and my family have been missionarys in the Dominican Republic for 20 years with Christian Dominican Medical Mission. My dad did just as you said:he took a mission truck full of antibiotics and other supplies;along with one of my brothers & 2 Haitians(to interpret)
    to help with the disaster relief in Port-Au-Prince.He will not be home untill the medicine is gone.God bless,and be safe!!!

January 18, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  35. Denny

Rant on Anderson... rant on!

January 18, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  36. Lori

Anderson's questions and comments are always appropriate.

January 18, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  37. Beata

Anderson,
    THANK YOU! Just watched Anderson's "rant" 🙂
    Finally you stepped out of the usual keep-a-straight-face, and said what I have been screaming at the TV for the past 4 days.

Where is the Haiti President?! Why isn't he driving around with a megaphone, and on the radio speaking to his people?!

Why is the food at the airport still? The deaths occurring now can be directly blamed on the Americans – they are withholding food from the hungry!!

Why aren't we mobilizing the Haitians to HELP THEMSELVES? Give them shovels, give them the responsibility to arrange peaceful lines to collect food, give them responsibility and they will step-up to it! Don't treat them like helpless children! They are NOT!

For god's sake, if you can't do anything else, make food drops already! The risk of a real riot only increases when you withhold provisions, not when your drop it and at least some people get to eat!

Thank you for the daily reporting!
    Beata

January 18, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  38. Douglas Moore

man lets face it they can not rebuild with them all there what will thay do when it rains there will be mud slieds they need to get them all out till they get that place safe bring them to u.s. and canada then as it get better then can go back so much people are going to die there for nothing if they realy want to help then they would do that

January 18, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  39. Maritza

I'm so impress by your passion for reporting! Your moment tonight about the Goverment not taking action or showing up was full of that passion! Proud of you and your honest & spontaneous team! Keep in the good work

January 18, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  40. Caroline, Los Angeles

I don't know if I can watch these reports tomorrow night. Unless we see a massive troop injection, or a massive food and water drop, or some bulldozers driving off of those aircraft carriers tomorrow, I can't watch a whole lotta nothing happening. I'm not asking for happy-happy-joy-joy stories. Tell the bitter truth and drop some names too.

January 18, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  41. Janis M, Canada

Good for you Anderson – your recent "rant" about the President of Haiti was exactly what we are all thinking – shame on him and the government !!!..... my "rant' is where is the equipment to setup the desperately needed operating rooms – these docs must be extremely frustrated not able to save these people from developing more serious problems, like amputation, etc. Our hearts are so sad to watch this painful reporting – we must not let this go away and I am very proud of all the citizens across the globe who are giving to help this humanity in dire need ....keep up the good work Anderson !! Jan

January 18, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  42. Ishan Gunatilleke

Appreciate the passionate coverage from Haiti. Great call on the candidly questioning the priorities where the Governer of Pennsylvania's plane to evacuate orphans is prioriritezed ahead of cricitcal supplies and Doctors without Borders!!
    A great example of keeping 'em honest!!

January 18, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  43. Judith

Anderson,

Thank you for asking the questions. Sitting here watching CNN feeling very frustrated. Where is the AID??? It feels like a repeat of Katrina but astronimcal! I just don't understand, it makes me feel that if there is a natural disaster in the US of this magnitute that it would just be fend for yourself. Of course there is looting, the Haitains are being reduced to animals. My heart bleeds!

Judith

January 18, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  44. Diana - Cincinnati

Any reports about what is happening with pets?

Also – Anderson questioned where all the doctors are. My husband set aside his practice to travel to New Orleans after the hurricane and practiced medicine there for several days. Once FEMA arrived, they would not allow anyone other than FEMA registered doctors see patients. Many, many doctors were sent away. Perhaps that is happening again. Some doctors will not be willing to set aside their busy practices and make the trip to Haiti if they will be turned back. Many of these organizations worry about the liability of medical help rather than the treatment of people who desperately need help. Perhaps international laws whoudl be waived in a disaster situation.

January 18, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  45. Shawn White

Anderson I believe it is about time someone rants about the Haitian Government, this is going down hill quick, if there was a time to keep them honest, this is it.

January 18, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  46. Melina Pichardo

dont worry AC, we know u love orphans. U are only doing your job, which is to raise questions.

January 18, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  47. Jane DiMillo

Great job, Anderson Cooper.
    Keep asking questions: Why is there no infrastructure? Why is the gov. of pennsylvania granted permission to fly in to take 23 orphans to US? Who is responsible for raising the hopes of those other children? Was this a political move? Who ok'd it?
    As you said, "Why weren't planes carrying supplies, medical equip given priority?
    No one is mentioning Aristide. The country needs a leader, a political infrastructure-not another ngo or a president who goes into hiding with his wife.
    So keep asking those questions and go in search of answers no matter where they lead you. Haitians deserve answers; the world too.

January 18, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  48. Breanna

Heartfelt thanks to you and your 360 team. What an amazing job of bringing the reality of the crisis right into our homes.

So many emotions, tears and prayers go out to the Haitian people.

Nobody does this better then you, thank you for your hard work and dedication.

January 18, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  49. Charles

Anderson, thanks for focusing on the lack of coordination and poor decision making. I think folks that are coming into Haiti via air are looking for Photo ops. Orphans leaving vs. Mobile hospitals coming in...who is in charge??? Its hard to believe that the US Military is moving this slow or the "decision makers" are making it a slow process. Haiti has no funtioning government, The US needs to really take over, for the short term, and make it happen. Grid out the city and divide and conquer. If you can get there the next day, a rapid response team should have been atleast able to match that speed. Too much assessing...not enough doing...EXPOSE THEM!!!!

January 18, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  50. Carson lee

Dear mr cooper,please allow me to say how much I thank you for the work your doing keeping this in the forefront and in our faces .I feel the emotion and pain you share out of haiti. Like you from day one why the first flights in were not earth moving equipment as they knew the state of haiti before and after the disater?opening roads was the key then law enforcement then basic water some food general first aid along with rescue workers Mr cooper it was the first important hours,insted we floor the one opening to life with warehouse like stock only to sit and bottle neck .We have fail in all effort to do what was for the people of haiti.I Heard nothing of getting container freezers to keep the dead, either did I hear about a shipment of chemical towels,the countries like cuba and domincian republic and other near place why are we waiting from hospital ships weeks away?A simple fleet of those yellow shool buses to bring people from country side towns to medical aid ,again anderson your a ray of hope in a fail quest to do right!

January 18, 2010 at 11:37 pm |