January 18th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/18/10

Tonight, live from Haiti, gunfire in the streets as looters target a store in Port-au-Prince. Plus, the medical crisis. Dr. Gupta steps in to perform surgery on a 12-year-old girl and when doctors abandoned their patients. Plus, there's still hope that survivors will be found in the rubble.

Want more insight on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Nadia

I agree Jane 0 Gen Honoree seemed to have the common sense and tact that many of the organizations are lacking.

January 18, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  2. Jenn

You keep them honest Anderson! There is no excuse for aid and medical supplies being held up and yet assesment teams have made multiple trips in and out of the country. Get the orphans out to their new parents! Keep up the great work CNN Staff!

January 18, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  3. Melina Pichardo

keep up the good job AC, let's hope this upcoming week will be not be filled with unrest for the people of Port-au-Prince.

January 18, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  4. Teri

Yes, yes yes....Anderson...rant some more...it just does not make any sense that the government officials are not out helping their people, what are they doing? They should be compiling lists or taking pictures of people, instead of hiding, where are these people called the government?

January 18, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  5. Cathy

Anderson, you are a hero in my book! What a rescue with that little boy! God Bless You!!

January 18, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  6. LisaL - Canada

i do know that a lot of the children have loving people waiting to give them good homes, but i really do hope that there is a lot of thought given to helping them grow up in Haiti. with a culture that wonderful and strong, and with so much history, there should be plans for the future to allow these children to grow up in their homeland and be the next generation who will make a difference in Haiti's future.

January 18, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  7. Miriam

Anderson...Kudos for asking the right questions!

I was wondering myself the same questions:
    1. Where is the President of Haiti ?
    2. Where are the Police?
    3. Where is the leadership ?

January 18, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  8. Gay Boise

Why can't these helicopters drop high energy biscuits or Ready to Eat meals from them. It doesn't take that much time or effort. If we can't find a path or no one seems to know where to go to spread them out, then drop them by helicopters all over Haiti. You can't miss the people. They are all over. We did it in Irag. Something is not right with this situation. It is not being done in any proper manner. Anderson could himself do a much better job of telling people where to go to help.

January 18, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  9. Donata

AC keep on ranting. You questions will force actions to take place and further lives will be saved. Keep up the good work, stay safe, and know we are thankful for the coverage you all are providing.

January 18, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  10. Sandy - Nevada

If you, Anderson, Sanjay, and Ivan don't receive an award for this coverage, the awards are fixed! Thank you for being so honest and asking the questions the rest of us are asking. What's wrong with the UN? Why are some planes getting in and some important ones aren't? What's the problem?, we are donating our hearts out and nothings getting done, it's all on hold?

January 18, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  11. Betty Murphy

To Casey..You are the first person since this horrific event to mention HIV/AIDS in Haiti....curiouser and curiouser....it's IMPORTANT!

January 18, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  12. carolyn hash

Anderson, your coverage is great!! The best by far of anything else out there. Please stay safe and keep up the great work. You are fantastic.

January 18, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  13. Mary

Anderson, all other reporters, camera personnel plus all the team of CNN, you make us proud. I wish we all could welcome the CNN team home. Please stay safe. I can't turn the TV off! You all are so genuine and have such feeling for the victims of the earthquake. We'll just pray for your safe return and we hope you will be able to rest because you've done more than what's required of anyone.

January 18, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  14. Katherine

Anderson, keep ranting. You're questioning the leadership and coordination of the relief to Haitians, and someone who can make a true difference will hear you. We Americans are watching you and appreciate your heroic efforts to bring us both positive and negative information. Thank you, be safe, and keep ranting.

January 18, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  15. Caro

Anderson, I've been watching you everyday at CNN. Of course I knew you before, but never had the opportunity to follow your work as much as I am right now. I can forget all these people in Haiti! You are doing an amazing job, really impress with you sincerity and your passion for human life...I can not forget to congratulate everybody at CNN, great coverage!! BTW sorry my english...I am not american!

January 18, 2010 at 11:34 pm |
  16. tom

the haitian government has abandoned their people in a time of most need. The only excuse would be if they were all killed which I seriously doubt, they have run from the situation and want the world to take over their responsibilites. they probably have left the country. they need to be protecting their people. how many gov't officials from Haiti have we seen on the TV, on the streets, talking to their people, organizing rescue efforts, comforting their people, helping control the rescue situation

January 18, 2010 at 11:34 pm |
  17. Berttie

Anderson, you mentioned that there was no sign of the Haitian Govern.enmt. Personally I have wondered why the government has a Palace, when the people live in poverty.

January 18, 2010 at 11:34 pm |
  18. mark Hyde

PLEASE ASK THESE QUESTIONS!!!! Get mad get passionate!!!! This is there hope, you, us the world!!!! Please keep up this TRUE reporting.

All the best to you and everyone there!!

Mark Hyde

January 18, 2010 at 11:34 pm |
  19. jacqueo

I would like to see a story on how all the journalists are surviving. Where does your food/water come from? Where do you sleep? Can you shower? I am just curious where you and your crew go at night. How are you protecting yourselves?

The work that all of you are doing is amazing. Sanjay's story of being alone with his crew through the night was chilling.

Your ad team was correct when they came up with the line "From the Global Resources of CNN"–the coverage that your network has provided and the work you are doing is truly amazing.

The question now becomes, what commitment will CNN give to Haiti?
    Obviously, the story will not continue to run 24/7. When the crews are called home what follow up coverage will the network commit to give? I urge the powers that be to make that commitment now: " CNN will guarantee one story a week? a month? out of Haiti for the next year."

Get together and decide what is realistic. I don't think I have ever been as impressed with CNN's reporting, however, what would earn my respect and loyalty for a lifetime would be a commitment to see this through. To commit resources when it is no longer the story of the day. The eyes of the world are now on Haiti, but for how long?
    I truly believe that the answer to that question lies with your organization.
    With respect, Jacque O.

20. Nadra

Merci, Anderson! I want to thank you for saying what nobody else seems to be saying. Rant away, baby! I'm a French teacher and I'm very familiar with Haiti's longtime government issues (rotation of Presidents, etc.) What a great opportunity for the current President to rally his people and where is he? Most Americans couldn't identify him because he's MIA. I wonder if Haitians could! Come on, Preval. Dites quelques mots!

21. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The dogs are trained to search for survivors only!

22. Steve

Pressure FEMA to send more USAR teams. They only sent 10 of the 30 teams available. We are ready to go.

23. Kendall

In the midst of heroic deeds and upstanding reporting from Cooper, Gupta, O'Brien and others in Haiti, we get a stateside reporter's comment that Tuesday's elections in Massachusetts could be a "tectonic event" in American poltics. Bad timing. Bad taste. Bad judgment.

24. Jane - Vt

It's been a week tomorrow. This is so much like Katrina it's scary, what have we learned - not much it seems.

I would love to see President Obama ask retired Gen. Honree (sp?) to head up the organization in Haiti and arrange it if he would agree. He got things done in New Orleans, maybe he could help them out now.

Good night everyone. Stay safe Anderson, Sanjay and the rest of the crew.

25. Josh

Anderson-When I watch you, I get to see anchoring at it's best. Keep up the great work!

26. Sara

Anderson is totally allowed to rant. I am waiting for the ranting & raving. It seems ridiculous with the awareness that we have of the state of things that so little seems to happen

27. Jo-Calgary AB

Anderson,
    your rant is correct! Where is their government?

28. Malia

There are so many children who simply need a place to be "safe". We have multiple families in our area who are willing to take children in, some would love to adopt, some are willing to take children in even temporarily. None of us knows where to begin to see if this is something we can do. If this is something that can be done, please let us know where to start.

29. Natalie Baldwin

I love you Anderson Cooper. You are doing a damn fine job. Keep up the great reporting. You're asking all the right questions and you're getting frustrated for all the right reasons. Thank you thank you thank you. Stay real.

30. Andrew Lee

The U.S. armed forces should be evacuating people by plane to the U.S. Once they get to the U.S. people should be housed in high school and college gymnasiums. The areas people are being housed can be guarded to prevent people from escaping into the country illegally. Plenty of people cant or don't want to go but those who can should be able to if they can get to the airport.

31. Henry

Keep up with the rant. Maybe someone will hear the frustration of Americans that we can't work unless it's in "The Book". The boots on the ground almost always respond to crises better than the big boys.

January 18, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  32. Bob bertoldi

Anderson, I cant beleive all these emergency medical and health organizations are being held back... its been over four days and people are still under rubble. Find out who is the one person responsible for all the red tape and delays and have him shot by a firing squad in front of all the Hatian mothers that lost their children because medical help was held up.

January 18, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

starr formerly known as vincent
    Good night, See you tomorrow....

Wow! That's long time 3 hours to for (L.A county Search and Rescue) search little girl trapped in the building.... I am glad she is doing okay.. Thanks Anderson!!!!! 🙂

January 18, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  34. Caroline, Los Angeles

@jo anne wilkinson-Have you called Doctors Without Borders? I keep hearing people say they are faster than the other organizations.

January 18, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  35. Lawrence

Anderson Cooper –

Thank you for expressing your own disgust about the choices of who does and does not get into Haiti. Like you, I am concerned that Doctors Without Borders would have to go to Santo Domingo and then across the country to get into Haiti, when the orphans (and I, too, have empathy for orphans) went out on a plane that brought in the Governor of Pennsylvania.
    Since 1804, when the slave revolt brought independence, Haiti was “hush hush” in the United States. We only hear bad about Haiti – bad government, bad weather, bad … bad … bad. That is one reason there was no real understanding of how to how to plan …because we have kept Haiti “out of sight, out of mind”. Perhaps now we can pay attention. Thank you for what you , Soledad O’Brien, Gary Tuchman and Dr Gupta and your teams are doing.

January 18, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  36. Sara Klein/16

Anderson Cooper,Thankyou for all that you are doing.You are so right on!Me and my family have been missionarys in the Dominican Republic for 20 years with Christian Dominican Medical Mission. My dad did just as you said:he took a mission truck full of antibiotics and other supplies;along with one of my brothers & 2 Haitians(to interpret)
    to help with the disaster relief in Port-Au-Prince.He will not be home untill the medicine is gone.God bless,and be safe!

January 18, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  37. Devna AC360°

The State Department is currently working on plans to expedite adoptions from Haiti – however many of those who have been adopted over the last 48 hours have been in "the system" for months if not years.

January 18, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  38. Hector

Anderso...It shows that you really care. I could see your frustration on the burocracy that is costing lives. I'm from Puerto Rico and we are totally frustrated as well that our trained emergency and rescue teams had been in cue for a landing time without results. The PR team left in a ferry today after countless burocracy to land in Dominica Republic. It is going to be 30 hr in a boat full their equipment including digging equipment, Emergecy Rescue truck and 30 strong trained team. It is a shame that this team could not make it in time while burocrats made their way their.

39. Evelyn Diaz

Anderson and Dr. Gupta You are amazing people God bless you both for you courage and compassion. Reguarding the landing @ the airport it's a shame that people are dying for the lack of meds and doctors, it's a shame that doctors without borders had to land in DR not in Haiti.

40. Paul

Anderson...keep ranting....we are with you

41. BEV

Why can't they use smaller boats , to bring rescue teams in with equipment . Just wondering why not use the beaches for transporting smaller loads.

42. Sheri

Anderson, you are awesome. You're right, where is the President of Haiti? He should be driving around in a truck with a microphone, how are these people supposed to know where to go to get help? What the heck is going on down there? It's a shame that it took such a disaster of biblical proportion to get some attention to such a poor country. Keep up the good work and thanks for the honest reporting!

43. Pam

Good question Anderson. Where is the President of Hait. Loved the comment that he could be driving around and speaking to the people from a bullhorn in a truck! Don't worry about being PC! What you called "your rant" is our rant, too!!

Paraphrasing the words of General Honore' sometimes you have to say screw the rules and just let's get it done!

January 18, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  44. Ginette (Montreal, Quebec, Canada)

The longer they wait for "security, the more likely the people will get out of hand. I do not understand why this is taking so long to get food, water and drugs supplies to the people. I just don"t understand.

You are doing an amazing work and I can feel your anger ... but you remain in control. I am happy that you are starting to shake the "bureaucratie" or the people responsible to coordinate the operations. We are send soldiers in Irak and we cannot have soldiers on site to help comtrol the population over there!!!!! I DON'T UNDERSTAND. You are an exceptional man and when I saw you helping that little boy who got hurt tonight...... you got my vote. You are a wonderful person.

God bless you Mr. Anderson Cooper .

45. Randy Smith M.D.

Anderson , Intersting to hear you and Sanjy talk about the lack of medical care in Haiti. I have been trying to get there since last Wed. I emailed Cnn(campell brown and wollf blitzer last friday to inquier as to cnn facilating physicians travel to haiti. Cnn has much more clout than we as individual physicians do, I got the same standerd email back from both of them. There are many docters and nurses who would be there today but as you know its almost impossible to get there even through international relief groups. I think cnn could fill a chartered plane within 24 hours with medical workers willing to pay there on way and cnn probally could get clearance for landing. I know its not your job but Im thinking outside the box. Iwill be glad to help in any way Ican ax I have benn going on medical mission trips to Haiti for the last 30 yrs. Iwould be interested in your thoughts. Randy Smith M.D. 912-8655583 or 912-687-3652

46. Nadia

I love the AC360 team! Anderson has said tonight everything that I have been saying and thinking! Thank you for common sense reporting!

47. Colleen

I don't know if you are still reading these, but I am almost positive they announced they rescued 10 people today...........including 3 babies under 3 years old. I'm going to check into it again.....

48. Sandy Heckt

Hi Anderson. First of all your humanitarian heart is apparent to thse of us in the US..I am a Nurse in Montana I contacted Red Cross and found they are not accepting medical help? I was devastated and am just so frustrated..I see Dr Gupta struggleto give patient care and wish Icould be there to assist him. Stay strong and know that you and Dr Gupta are making a difference! Thank You from the bottom of my heart for all that you do and have done. My very soul cries for theconditions in Haiti and My heart is praying for every man woman and child there in Haiti..

49. Barbara A. Boreland-Williams

Hi Anderson, This is Barbara from Jamaica. You and the team from CNN are wonderful thank you for letting us know what's hapening! I cannot understand why we are constantly hearing that the meds aren't reaching. the people! Jamaican Doctors came to Haiti but their equipment was not allowed in! Caricom representatives came, they were not allowed in yet a US Senator was allowed to land? What is the priority here? There seems to be either some crazy people in charge or maybe no one is in charge! Keep up the good work!

50. Isabel - Brazil •

Good evening everyone – Anderson, David (Indiana), friends and bloggers!

Good show tonight.

@ Team in Haiti
    Take care!! Thank you for everything!
    Stay with God! Amem!