January 18th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/18/10

Tonight, live from Haiti, gunfire in the streets as looters target a store in Port-au-Prince. Plus, the medical crisis. Dr. Gupta steps in to perform surgery on a 12-year-old girl and when doctors abandoned their patients. Plus, there's still hope that survivors will be found in the rubble.

Want more insight on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sharon Holiday

I know that there are alot of heros working behind the scene, in haiti. The military, police, and firemen are trained to be heros. When I watch journalists do more than report the news, your the heros.

CNN's crew is amazing It's nice to observe a journalist who is not afraid to jump in and assist. Please stay safe down there.

January 18, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  2. Mike in Ga.

Bless Sec. Clinton for their leadership, but when the prominent thing I hear of Sec. Clinton's visit is that she secured an agreement to control the airport, and it was the first and only time I have seen the Haitian President, I wonder what the focus of the leadership is. How do we measure results – by how many agreements and how fast we can agree, or by other measures? I know how the people suffering in the streets measure it.

January 18, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  3. Karen

Anderson, don't feel bad about asking the question that a lot of your viewers are asking why doctors, searchers, etc can't get in but orphans got out & the plane for them got in. There has been a large group of search & rescue from Orange County, CA that have been waiting for several days to get in to help. By the time they do it will be pointless. How sad. The orphans could have been given food & water & waited so other lives could have been saved. Anderson, you are a blessing to us all. Thanks.

January 18, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  4. daniel

anderson we get you, we know there are things you see and understand but you cant say them on tv. we appreciate your wonderful spirit and your courage. pls dont hold back in getting the story told, no matter what! this is not about television, ratings, or politics anymore! this is real -as you say it! this is about death, stupid death, and that's real!
    we need to change our ways of doing things...dr Gupta is saving lives by himself while doctors here in Sacramento are waiting permission to fly to Haiti.
    please speak your mind just like you did about the gov there!!! dont be affraid to be real, we back you up for your honesty!

thank you beyond words for your dedication!!!

January 18, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  5. Hope

Anderson: Amazing reporting by you and entire CNN Team. You are not just reporters...you have Heart! FYI: Texas Task Force One was declined...They were ready to come to Haiti and told NOT to come! Unbelievable! What's going on?

January 18, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
  6. Paige, Nevada

I would just like to say what a extraoridinary job Anderson Cooper is doing in conveying and sharing with us the devastation in Haiti. One of, in not the best journalist of our time, of my generation. An angel, a humanitarian full of compassion, we love you and all the selfless journalism you give us. "We see you, all of You!!" Best wishes and prayers for all of CNN in Haiti, including Dr. Gupta, please be safe.

January 18, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
  7. Douglas Moore

To much red tape i have been trying for 6days now trying to get there with any group i am ready to go i am not working right now i can pick up and go so ya they make it so hard i can do anything they need

January 18, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
  8. Jennifer - AZ

Permission, assessment, organization – it is ridiculously frustrating. I've recently been working with the military and have seen some of the same wasteful (in terms of time, resources, and quality) red tape. It's because someone at some point was involved in an incident and wanted to hold the companies or government responsible or earn a quick buck by finding someone to sue. These shmucks are always going to be around, but even so, I think we need to reassess how we can take ownership of our own safety and make our own decisions about what we are willing to risk without it being such a crippling risk for organizations.

January 18, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Ivan Watson has done some excellent reporting from Haiti. I hope we will be seeing a lot more of him on 360 in the future.

January 18, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  10. Carol

From the Military Base of Ft leonard Wood. I know there are several Mp Companies that have been put on standby to help in Haiti. And it has been two days that the units have been waiting to go and help. With the violence and tradegy why is it taking so long for someone hire up to send these MP soldiers who have been waiting for two days to go and help so doctors can do there job and people can get the help they desperately need. Who is making the decisions!!! Why is there so much confusion and no order.. Why not use the Military Engineers and MP from Ft Leonard Wood who are experience and well train to help in Haiti.. Their is so much confusion.. Is United States helping or hurting the situation

January 18, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  11. LisaL - Canada

it is good to hear the success stories - there is so much death and sadness - but one good deed, a little good news, can offset and balance a lot of grief - knowing there is comfort, hope and support can sometimes be enough to sustain people for just long enough.

January 18, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  12. Caroline, Los Angeles

Hear is the problem with recovery. They use a textbook way of doing things. But with an earthquake this massive, this widespread, you have to write a book on how to do things while you're doing it.

Does that mean there will be some overlap of services? Of course. But better too much than too little, which is what we have now.

January 18, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  13. Shenandoah1865

Anderson – you and Dr. Gupta are my heroes. Thank you for all your courage, strength, dedication and for the mercy you both have shown – on and off camera – especially to the children. You along with all the CNN crews are doing so much to bring help and hope to the people of Haiti,

You and the rescue teams represent all that is fine and good in America. You, your crews and all the rescuers are in my thoughts and prayers – and will always be in my heart.

May God keep you safe and sustain you always.

January 18, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  14. lyle c richardson

andersencooper and his crew deserve a news oscar of some kind... please investigate why our paratroops werent sent in early wednesday morning....

January 18, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  15. Wendy

I think that all the relief that is being given to the people of Haiti is showing the world what the world can do when there is a major catastrophe that the world has not had to conquer as of yet....I would like to know why there was not the same attention paid to the people of the Katrina disaster...especially by their own people....they are still struggling and if they had a small portion of the funds that are now part of the Haiti relief, they may be on their way to getting on their feet again.....I am from Canada and think we should look after our own first....I am not suggesting that the people of Haiti should not be assisted by any means, but what about us........if we look after our own and are strong, we can propably do twice as much for others as we would have the strength to give what we have been given.....it is not politics, it is life......

January 18, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  16. melanie thornberg

Anderson, Dr. Gupta and all the rest. You are all doing magnificent work in Haiti, but things are starting to get more dangerous for all the reporters, photographers, producers. Please, please be more careful about your own safety now . . . I understand the importance of getting the story, saving lives, letting the world know they need food / water / meds, etc. BUT BUT BUT you also don't want the story to be about how a CNN reporter / photographer got killed during some looting or rioting. Appreciate your valor and bravery, but . . . you need to figure out how you can tell the story from a safer distance, wearing protective gear, etc.

January 18, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  17. Sara Klein/16

Anderson Cooper,Thankyou for all that you are doing.You are so right on!My dad did just as you said:he took a mission truck full of antibiotics and other supplies;along with one of my brothers & 2 Haitians(to interpret)
    to help with the disaster relief in Port-Au-Prince.He will not be home untill the medicin is gone.God bless,and be safe!

January 18, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  18. Hope Hill

Anderson,

Rarely are any of us given the opportunity to make such an impact on so many people by holding up the truth in the heroic way you and Sanji have done since last wk Thank you for being the heart and soul for those of us who can't be there. Keep asking the questions about the delayed help during the first 24 hours. You are on the right track.

January 18, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  19. Adelaide

@Pierre,
    Exactly what I think too! It is simply nauseating the lack of leadership from the haitian government.

January 18, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  20. Dave

The first 72 hours were the priority hours to rescue people in trapped buildings. But why was the haitain govt using their heavy machines, bulldozers, and police to remove dead bodies from the streets – which is not a medical priority, rather than using it to rescue people in trapped buildings. Wasn’t the 'experts' in UN, USAID etc to 'coordinating' with the Haitian govt they should be using their bulldozers and police to rescue people from the buildings?

January 18, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  21. Scott - Seattle

Anderson, I understand your concerns regarding who's making decisions on who gets in and who leaves Haiti. It bothered me that when I heard the C17 that took the orphans to Orlando, left Tacoma yesterday morning with at least 2 Seattle reporters on it...2 seats that could have been taken by medical personnel or supplies. There is absolutely no need to to be transporting local reporters to a scene where national reporting (most notably CNN) is doing more than an adequate job...this is especially the case when it's on military aircraft.
    Let them fly commercial (as I believe you did), should they feel their presence is so needed!

January 18, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  22. Catherine

I just turned on the TV to CNN and began watching AC talk about the orphans and it broke my heart...I am a single mother of 2 children and I would take 1 or 2 or all of these poor beautiful orphaned babies/children in a heartbeat, if I was able to. Please if its possible can I get information (any and all would be appriciated) about perhaps adopting these wonderful angels. If they can get 28 orphans to Pennlysvania just because a government official came and got them then there has to be a way to save more and not take forever and a day. Thank you.

January 18, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  23. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Has there been any progress at the Montana Hotel?

January 18, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Pastor Michael A.D. Smith,
    Go to cnn.com/impact....... You can any milk, food, blanket, water, and cash whatever to help them.... Thanks for asking a question. 😉

January 18, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  25. Denise

Just a thought, why can't cruise ships be brought to the area to house all these people in a more humane way. They'd easily be willing to cram into air conditioned rooms inorder to have functioning bathrooms and out of the elements. Then, all the donated supplies of food and water could be sent to feed them in grand buffets, instead of the chaotic way it is now. Let them stay and recover for the next few weeks, then each adult can take on a job (either on the ship ie.-daycare, cook, laundry etc... or on land to be trained in the clean-up and learn construction skills to rebuild. Daycares can be arranged in the huge party rooms with donated toys, with some of the adults as caretakers, while the others work. It would be better than them sitting around and getting into trouble while they are suffering. Disney Cruise Lines should lead the way!! CNN-You can make this happen!

January 18, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  26. Jeff Meana

Mr Cooper I must commend you and Dr Gupta on all of your efforts
    in Haiti and must add that the main problem you are having is the
    unorganization of all governmental agencies involved.
    There is no Logisticle orginazation and something else is missing as well and that is the much need para drops of food and water to
    areas that you cant get to by car.
    I wish I could be there to lend a hand in anything but they have not asked for volunteers for this effort.
    Consider this Mr Anderson of the amount of people here in the United States who are unemployed with nothing to do for there is no companies hiring.
    There are alot of people sitting at home watching this on Tv
    and would much rather go to Haiti and help than sit here in the US
    and collect unemployment with nothing to do.
    If it were possible to have President Obama to consider subsidizing or in other words continue the unemployment payments and consider this as income for people who go to Haiti think of how many hands would be there to help.
    Also I have an extra bedroom where I am and would welcome an orphan here.
    Keep up the good work.

God Speed

January 18, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  27. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Fay-CA...There's is no central coordination of anything. That's to be expected when there is no government or leadership to speak of.

January 18, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  28. Ricardo

@Molly and @Naeemah
    I can't help but look at the TV, and seeing still after 7 days very little done and wonder....racism? At least apathy? Is the reason why the US isn't more involved because we consider them less than us?

January 18, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
  29. FRANZ BATTIG switzerland

to caroline from los angeles, right but thats politics today

January 18, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
  30. Steve Huber

CNN has their HEROES show coming up. I am tossed who to vote in. AC, Dr. G or the Haitian people. How about all 3?

January 18, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
  31. frank

California emergency management has a long history of dealing with earthquake scenarios. LA County Search and Rescue is a good example.

Frank

January 18, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
  32. tom

there appears to be no organization from the Haiti government, you have a random police force of few trying to create some control, the truth is they are protecting business' that pay them cash in their pocket. Aren't there other deprtments of the government that can take control of clearing the streets and more debris, all these gov't people cant be dead. are these the same people that have corrupted this country and are running away from the problems because they cant handle the situation?

January 18, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
  33. Tom Crozier

Anderson: Your reporting from Haiti is by far the best, but I think you need to take to the next level. You must have personal security personnel just to allow you to operate as you do. I think you should introduce them and explain why they are necessary.

Your piece right now on bureucratic asessment teams is great. I'm sure you see that smaller local efforts can save what lives there are left to save from the rubble. Larger outfits can help with reconstruction over the long haul.

We are only beginning to see the corruption, crime, and disease. You aren't focusing on corruption right now and that is probably the right decision; but over the long term, the entire outcome will hinge on the reformation of a corrupt system. I am sure I am preaching to the choir, you know what I am talking about. As the professional reporter, you know how to keep an audience, and I believe you understand the you need to inform people of the long-term underlying problems. I hope you are able to work a little bit of that in as the story develops.

Tom Crozier
    Granada, Nicaragua

January 18, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  34. yolette

I'm not suprised of the cahotic situation developing right bcuz after so many days without foods and water, people are getting desparate and dying. I hope things get better bcuz i really can't see my people start fighting each other over goods after surviving that disastrous quake.

January 18, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  35. retta

We don't see the large earth mover machines. Pls record whether or not these machines are moving the debris from the homes, buildings and streets to reach those that are alive.

January 18, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  36. Lizzie

You are doing an amazing reporting job. It is unbelievable that the big organizations have such bureaucracy for a situations like this.

January 18, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  37. Steve Huber

@shannon... I am so in agreeance with you. Why doctors have to get "government clearance" yet some Governor, with no connection to Haiti can get in and out with no questions is mind boggling.

January 18, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  38. angela

Keep pushing for answers to these tough questions that need answers NOW...Why are many doctors and nurses waiting? Yet, not able to board planes and land in Haiti.Being diverted to D.R. instead People are dying every hour because of lack of simple medical care. This is just crazy, stupid deaths is unfortunately now a term we are all too familiar with. Doctorswithoutborders needs support and phone calls to get them on the ground with the People of Haiti

January 18, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  39. Molly

The rescue workers are trying so hard. I hope their will be some national recognition for them. They are doing all they can.

January 18, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  40. Rose NH

Carlucci, I want to as well. Cnn has some info on how to go about it
    It is very expensive. I would love to do this so badly. I have two boys right now.. 12 and 14. Doing really well in school, sports, etc. I realize this cannot be a free service, but when they are saying there are more children than orphanages, maybe they need to forget the money, consider more loving homes so the kids can get out of there. If they do that, I am open arms for a child to help. Think about this, many people are good, can support a child, but to pay that amount to be able to adopt one in order to give them a good home can cause many kids to stay there poor and hungry, I wish I was rich.... I have wanted to adopted a child from another less privilage country. This would be a wonderful opportunity.

January 18, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  41. Stephen Lau

Anderson and Sanji, impressive work! I am a surgeon in US,and want to volunteer my service in the field for the Haiti victims.I want you to know tthat there are many red tapes here, and I have called many nos and visited multiple web sites, but goes no where! Can you tell me what should I do so that I can be in Haiti to help taking care of the victims!

January 18, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  42. Elaine

Anderson, Thank you for starting to ask the hard questions about priorities at the airport and the bureaucrats' inability to deliver needed supplies in a timely manner! They have made the same mistakes they made in Katrina all over again. Why didn't they start the air drops of supplies on day one? Also, thank you for your humanity and courage ( helping that boy) and that of your crew! I don't know if everyone realizes the increasing dangers you, and all those on the ground, face from the transfer of bloodborne pathogens, other coming diseases caused by the disaster, and overall security. Take care and Thank You! I agree with everything you said tonight!

January 18, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  43. L. Carter

As a pampered American I am really struggling to understand why help is taking so long. I am sure that people are trying but if I remember right the Army Corp of Engineers is capable of quickly building ports, bridges and air fields in a matter of days. Not to mention our ability to use amphibious crafts. Why is this not being done? Or is it?

January 18, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  44. Lori

Looking for the buried survivors looks like such painstaking effort. That poor mother.

January 18, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  45. Pam

Just read that because Haiti 's airport lost all traffic control in the earthquake, our (US) special ops are handling the air traffic control from the ground on the airport. That must be really tough. With no tower and such a tiny airport they are doing an amazing job.

January 18, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  46. Rachelle

Anderson,

I am interested in adopting the little boy that Guy did a story on. The one who's mother has died and is now an orphan. Please let me help him. I've sent money to Unicef and Red Cross, but I want to do more.
    God bless you and all you're doing. My prayers are with you and the people of Haiti.

January 18, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  47. scott

greetings Anderson
    thanks for the great reporting from Haiti. i know u can get it done down there, be safe down there in the streets.

January 18, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  48. Ricardo

Ok Anderson, PLEASE talk to Hillary live on the air and tell her that the people who've been watching this want to see more troops to secure this city and more military aids saving lives. We need all branches of our military and we need them now. Please get her on the air and do not let her give any excuses. It's been one week and too many people are dying unnecessarily.

January 18, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  49. Al

You are kind and brave. Stay safe in Port-au-Prince, Anderson. God Bless. Al

January 18, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  50. Sue

Starting to think "bureaucracy" want people to die. Less to feed and care for in rebuilding???? Whatever is going on....it is totally inhuman!! Thank you for being there....

January 18, 2010 at 11:23 pm |