January 18th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/18/10

Tonight, live from Haiti, gunfire in the streets as looters target a store in Port-au-Prince. Plus, the medical crisis. Dr. Gupta steps in to perform surgery on a 12-year-old girl and when doctors abandoned their patients. Plus, there's still hope that survivors will be found in the rubble.

Want more insight on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Deena

It must be a momumental task to coordinate all of the players involved in bringing relief to Haiti. I'm sure this will begin to flow soon. We have smart people trying to bring in help. Because of the nature of this disaster, I"m sure it is difficult to make this happen as soon as we all want.

Thank you to all the unsung heroes who are pulling survivors out of the debris and doing all they can to help however they can.

Many thanks to all CNN for their coverage of this disaster, and particularly to Dr. Gupta for being there and putting his medical training before his journalist responsibilities. No doubt your efforts have helped many.

Keep the Faith. The Haitians are amazing people. Amazing.

January 18, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  2. Fay-CA

It makes no sense that there is such a huge delay in the amount of help that's been brought in to Haiti and Anderson is absolutely right to continue to press for answers–too many people are suffering and dying needlessly and it's a shame.

January 18, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  3. Kerry

Keep the politician planes out of Haiti. Only planes with food, water, medical supplies and personnel, and other essential supplies and personnel should be allowed to land. Politicians hold up progress. ALSO, the local abled bodied males who are looting should be made to work to get the food and water out to the needy. Make them erect the medical tents, hand out food, and other necessary work so the excuse "Not enough boots on the ground" cannot be used. NEXT, this is a monumental task. DO NOT CRITICIZE THE U.S. MILITARY! They are accomplishing the task the best they can. If anyone does not like the way things are done, that person should get out of their LazyBoy and do something about it (volunteer for the Red Cross, etc).

January 18, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  4. Leah

Hang in there Anderson & Dr Gupta - true CNN HEROES! Thanks for asking the tough questions, Anderson. Absolutely nobody should be allowed to fly inbound unless they are bringing supplies, but it definitely makes sense to evacuate people on outbound flights.

January 18, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  5. Steve Huber

AC is so right. The orphans can wait a day or two, but if Doc w/o Borders is routed to Santo Domingo, someone needs to answer for that decision.

Who's making the decisions of who lands and who doesn't?

January 18, 2010 at 11:21 pm |
  6. Narlene

I am interested in adopting an orphan from Haiti, don't know how to go about it . We need more info on how to go about this.

January 18, 2010 at 11:21 pm |
  7. jo anne wilkinson

Anderson- as always you are who I turn to in crisis. I can't seem to get any response from the aid organizations I have contacted and am frustrated. I am an R.N. with 13 years of orthopedic surgery, and I despertely want to help. As you are reporting, no organization as to medical personel needed has been made clear. My time is flexible, and am good at setting systems up as well as taking orders from others.
    Any help or suggestions, or if I could even be put on a list and called when needed, would help me feel as if something is happening.

Thanks Anderson. You do more than rock!! We are all blessed to be able to turn to you. When you carried the little boy bleeding profusely from his head over the barricade today, you just sent chills up my spine. Be careful, and know you are LOVED and Appreciated by many!
    Many blessings!
    Jo Anne Wilkinson
    Orland, Maine

January 18, 2010 at 11:21 pm |
  8. Patti

I completely agree with Sano, the store owners should be giving goods away instead instead of being beaten by police for "looting".
    They are reduced to fighting like dogs over food.
    Its heartbreaking to watch but people are united for Haiti right now and thats a good thing. I just hope it lasts long after the cameras are gone.
    Thanks to A.C for his outstanding reporting in such a devastating situation. Blessings.

January 18, 2010 at 11:21 pm |
  9. Alice

Anderson,
    Thank you for all that you are doing in Haiti. I saw you pick up the little boy that was bleeding to bring him to safety. May God continue to bless and keep. You should be selected as the person of the year.

God Bless!

Alice

January 18, 2010 at 11:21 pm |
  10. Josh

Anderson, you are a hero. If you didn't step in, that boy could have died earlier today. We're proud of you.

January 18, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  11. Molly

@Naeemah,
    In a word, they are considered expendable.

January 18, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  12. Diann

Anderson you're doing a great job! Keep your spirit up and try not to get to frustrated (it's a low energy). Invoke the Violet Flame – I am a being of violet fire I am the purity God desire. Haiti shall overcome!

Haiti ...Stay faithful and prayed up and remember there's power in the spoken word!

Anderson...You have a beautiful heart full of compassion and unconditional love!

God speed!

Diann

January 18, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  13. Charlene

May Godbless and keep all of you safe in Haiti~ Thank you for all of your dedicated, incredibly touching work. Your passion inspires all of us to give more. To find CNN Heroes you don't have to look too far. I hope you all realize that YOU are the Heroes that impact our world. Again May Godbless and keep you all safe.

January 18, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  14. Liss

Hi Anderson how are you? I just want to thank you for helping that little boy today and for all the hard work you are doing to bring us here in the US and the rest of the world the news of whats happening every moment in Haiti. Im so thankfull to you and all the CNN crew out there and also all the media in there for covering this sad event. I hope the world never forgets this and keep helping Haiti. I also hope that you stay safe, good and strogn cause I know its hard to be in a situation like that, I lived too and its the wrost thing I'vee experienced. One more time thank you and also to all the aid workers who are trying to save Hait, God Bless You, keep you safe and guide you always. 🙂

January 18, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  15. Vic

It's beyond frustrating to be watching from home.
    I can't understand why search & rescue teams are being held back..

My heart hurts for those parents that have a missing daughter. CNN has interviewed them several times. BUT how about some more airtime on what the hold up is on help for the average Haitian person??? Where is the pleading to get search & rescue into the unknown places.
    The Montana is not the only important place.

I'm not meaning to sound cruel....but every life that can be saved is important.

Just feel so helpless sitting here watching since day one.

I thank CNN for all the coverage.

January 18, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  16. carlucci

I want to adopt a child from Haiti .How can i do it ? so comfused.. I must help

January 18, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  17. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Rescue teams are wonderful!

January 18, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  18. Ancilee777

Hi Anderson, Thank you for taking that injured boy away from the loot scene so quickly. You were extremely quick on your feet and I find that the compassion you gave him was so very needed!!!
    Thank you for going to Leogon and bringing up the fact that the "outer area's" of Port Au Prince had not seen any help, no water and nothing until today...
    I am also glad you spoke at length about why the AID is slow to get out from the Airport persay..especially DOC's, H2O, food and medical SUPPLIES..
    I will go to sleep tonight w/ more tears in my eyes and hope for HAITI...
    Your also in my prayers, stay safe and may tomorrow bring more things for HAITI!!Such as; Doctors w/out Borders getting in, MORE AID ...on and on.

P.S. Beaurocracy is locking up our efforts to save more lives!!
    YESS Cooper, your RIGHT!
    You nailed the nail on the head.

January 18, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  19. Shannon Misner

My friend, Renee Hames, of Colorado Springs, would like to put out a national televised plea for searchers to continue the hunt for her husband, David Hames, (white male, shaved head) stuck in the rubble of the Hotel Montana in Haiti. David was in Haiti with Compassion International when the earthquake hit last Tuesday. He was with his co-worker – Dan Wooley – who was pulled from the rubble on Friday. The reports are that there are sounds coming from the rubble again – and we feel like these sounds might be the whistle that David was wearing. PLEASE contact us so that we can get her story out so that the rescuers will know where to continue their search for David!

January 18, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  20. Teresa Risch

My husband is an orthopedic surgeon, and he and his team have been on standby for 3 days.
    He is now in Santo Domingo... still waiting.
    They just cann't seem to get the release for the black hawks to fly them in.
    They have been ready since 0430 Saturday.
    Thanks

January 18, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  21. starr formerly known as vincent

@Anderson

I honestly believe it you and your team were not in Haiti, no one would know the extent of the devestation. And, worse, no one would know how badly and disorganized the so called "rescue" efforts are.

I appreciate so much that you are trying to get valid answers as to why this is a disaster upon a disaster – with no apparent good reason!

Good night all....will continue to watch, am out of words.

January 18, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  22. Melissa

I think Anderson and Dr. Sanjay Gupta are great man for the job they both are doing down there in Haiti my heart gose out to all the people of Haiti and I pray they are able to get thour this awful time may gad be with them all keep up the great work CNN crews you all are doing so much good

January 18, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  23. Margaret

Hi

I have been watching the coverage tonight and am so saddened and fustrated to see the lack of help for the people of Haiti. My sister and I want to help but don't know the best way to go about it..we want to make sure what we are doing is going immediately to the people who need it. We are both willing to pay for the charter of a jet to fly Doctors and supplies down there that can help. We do have contacts at the University of Penna Hospital and would call them... Can you direct us in the right way or if you can coordinate we are more than willing to help out monetarily. Please do not post this message on the blog..could you just get back to me if you have an answer...

January 18, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  24. Joanne

Anderson. My heart goes out to you. I can't imagine how you are coping. I hope you have some friends to talk to. You are one tough cookie. You can write to me if you get sad.

January 18, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  25. Joseph

There is About 50 haititain nurses and doctors in spring valley ny would like to go to but cant get help from the department of state i think its a shame

January 18, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  26. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It seems to me that if they had sent in the necessities, especially antibiotics, immediately, possibly through the Dominican Republic, it would have saved lives and lessened the suffering by making the people more comfortable and less anxious.

Unfortunately, there are way too many "bosses" and red tape in these organizations.

January 18, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Ivo Jasek,
    Yes, I think so.... I am sure, He is real hero to us.... But He is not be ineligible this time. 🙂

January 18, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
  28. Romy Defay

A job well done for the last couple of days, Anderson Cooper, President Obama, the Clintons, Dr. Gupta and the rest of the World, I am speechless and overwhelmed with warm feelings watching you making a difference in my original country. There is a special place in Heaven for those leaders. Thank you for not hesitating in Helping Haiti and We as a Community cannot thank you enough for helping us.
    Anderson Cooper Be safe and be careful on those streets... those are dangerous streets and the Chimere(thieves) who escaped are on the streets everywhere!!! God Bless You and CNN for a job well done!!!

January 18, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
  29. Rose NH

Sano, I have to agree with your comment. When it comes to starving and there is a store there with food, get it... Looting when you may be dying. They have to live.. The store is crushed. Right now they all have to help one another. Like you said, the owner should realize they need food and it is not getting there fast enough. I agree, they should not die of starvation. That would also be classified as a "stupid death"

January 18, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
  30. Sara

I could not control the tears watching as the small boy was carried out of the chaos today. Why? Just, "why".

January 18, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
  31. pierre

with all due respect the haitian government should have taken charge simply because if some comes to your aid you need to show them where you need them to go. the aid is there but with no one pointing them in the right place things like this will happen. i know because i am haitian and i have done mission there.

January 18, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
  32. shannon

I am a pediatric orthopedic surgeon from Texas Children's Hospital. We have a surgical team just waiting for the OK to travel to Haiti. Still waiting on governmental paperwork to clear apparently. It's so frustrating to be ready to help but to be unable to get the clearance to do so. Glad the Governor could get the orphans out, but...I think surgical teams could more good. Still waiting...

January 18, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
  33. Claus

Good comments about the governor from Pennsylvania. I wish, of course, we could bring all the orphans to the US but medical help and supplies should be the first priority as you suggested.

January 18, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
  34. lyle c richardson

anderson– why wasnt our paratroopers put in– PLEASE INVESTIGATE..

January 18, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
  35. Rev.Kevin Kohlmeier

Anderson, being a former Marine and watching the coverage on Haiti it makes me ill. To see all the violence and turmoil and the lack of help and supplies makes me wonder what the world is coming to. These people need help and doctors now.

January 18, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
  36. Caroline, Los Angeles

I wonder if what's really happening is many ego trips all going on at the same time? U.N and Haiti and U.S. officials are talking behind the scenes about whose going to be the star of this show?

January 18, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
  37. Denny

I commend you for your honesty tonight... and the courage to be honest.

January 18, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
  38. Michelle

I am wondering why doctors are not being allowed
    in right away. Anderson, Dr. Gupta and all of the
    people at CNN I really admire your humanity.

January 18, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  39. Peggy

Just watching your show Anderson and can see your frustation. Thanks for asking the hard not so nice questions we are all wondering about. Get those doctors and meds into Haiti now not later.

January 18, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  40. Sheila

Thank you for addressing the issue of the airport...Rendell getting in and doctors without borders not getting in is insane. Don't let that one go. The American military is in charge of the airport . if they keep making decisions like that one we will get slammed in world opinion no matter how much good we do.

January 18, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  41. Tzila

Way to go Anderson! Thanks for your tenacity on the subject of the supply delay!! Keep up the bulldog tactics...you just might get some results!!! God knows Haiti needs it and NOW.

January 18, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  42. Joey K, Sumter SC

I have seen hot meals being served. How many of these kitchens are on location and can they be placed in strategic locations to feed people? Set up more permanent tent cities with these kitchens and the people will be less willing to stray or be compelled to loot and steal. These dazed and scared people currently have no real purpose, give some of them a leadership position to keep track of a certain group, turning them from nomads into communities. They have already shown that they can work together for self preservation by assisting family, friends and neighbors to search the rubble for survivors. It takes a village!

January 18, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  43. Betty Gaither

I am a retired RN who would just love to be there. I have no way to come and am registered with Red Cross. You and Sanja and others are my hands, my heart and my feet. My prayers never stop. I was happy to see you and Sanja showing some anger as you reported. You must have tons of stress. You have my respect. .

January 18, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  44. Marie

It's fine if you want to focus on the fact that that plane was going to bring orphans out, but a lot of people worked to load that plane with over 3,000 pounds worth of supplies including antibiotics and other medications and ivs that are needed immediately in Haiti. It was, essentially, a supply plane planning to not leave the country empty. It makes more sense than Cooper is acknowledging.

January 18, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  45. Martha Storey

I think it is wonderful that you brought to "light" about the orphans leaving Haiti. Should this be happening? I hope there will be organization for these orphans to be able to stay in Haiti.

January 18, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  46. Sarah

Anderson Cooper is the best. He's a news reporter that keeps it real and says what people need to hear. Keep up the good work! I love watching AC360

January 18, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  47. Josette B

Don't worry about the angry e-mails. It's true, orphans whom we all love, can wait 2 more days to be evacuated but injured children at risk of loosing a leg, an arm,and even dying cannot wait. So does the children stuck under tons of rubble, they cannot wait.

January 18, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  48. Oumou

Dear Anderson

I have been watching AC 360 for almost 6 years now. I have always admired your work and journalism. But what you have shown the world during the Haiti crisis is beyond anybody's imaginations. I want to thank you for letting the world see exactly what is going on.
    Keep up the good work.

January 18, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  49. Danielle - Los Angeles

Assessment is day 1 it doesn't happen on day 7. The issue at the airport is mind boggling because we see the military go into war torn countries and make airstrips to land planes. Why can't that be done? Common sense isn't being used. There are too many experts overthinking things. Simple fixes that could have been made in the beginning would have prevented alot of what we're seeing.

January 18, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  50. kait

Anderson thanks for asking the questions so many of us have. I'm sickened by the preventable deaths. As a mother of a little boy who died despite receiving the best medical care possible I cannot imagine how I'd feel if my child -or any age loved one – died because of disorganization, lack of supplies, or some other preventable factor. Thank you and please keep reporting exactly as you have been.

January 18, 2010 at 11:15 pm |