January 18th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/18/10

Tonight, live from Haiti, gunfire in the streets as looters target a store in Port-au-Prince. Plus, the medical crisis. Dr. Gupta steps in to perform surgery on a 12-year-old girl and when doctors abandoned their patients. Plus, there's still hope that survivors will be found in the rubble.

Want more insight on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Elsie

I agree with you Anderson. How come with a snap of a finger, flights can come and save some orphans but, they can't get the much needed supplies there. What is going on? It seems like there is no order of priorities!

January 18, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  2. lourdes

Mr Cooper, you are an amazing angel from God. It takes alot of courage and strenght to do what you do. I just wanted to say the LOUDEST "THANK YOU" from the buttom of my heart. Iam a Haitian women, who have been living in the US for 25 years. My heart hurts very badly for my country. I know God has a plan for Haiti, which is yet to come. I can't help but to think Haiti will be better after this "speechless" situation. God has his hand over Haiti. You are doing an awesome job and my prayers are constantly with you, my family and my people in Haiti. God will protect you for what you are doing!

January 18, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  3. LisaL - Canada

anderson – you should take all that frustration you feel and go and meet with hillary clinton and some others yourself.

as for that young boy - you were, yet again, in the right place at the right time - do what you need to do to get things done, the way you always seem to.

January 18, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  4. Francesca

Anderson, you and your colleagues have done such an amazing job, especially Sanjay. God bless you all! The people of Haiti are blessed to have you. You are right, there is no governing force there. There is no one to hold accountable. There needs to be a group that steps up and takes control of the situation. The stockpiling of supplies at the airport and lack of distribution is shocking, but a lot of it falls on the Haitians. The radio personalities need to rally their countrymen to come together, not riot, to clear helicopter pads and keep people back so that the supplies can be landed safely. In these situations, with the desperation, there is chaos but until someone takes firm control, it's not going to get better.

January 18, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  5. Leisa

Anderson, I agree you should investigate who is making the decisions on the plane landing there!! Why is it that doctors can't get in to help the injured, but a governor can land and take out orphans!!! That's crazy ..... To me it's just a repeat of what's been going on in Haiti for years.... The poorest country in the world and people are dying for stupid reasons and doctors can't get in!!!! What's wrong with that picture?!!! And I'm not mad at you we know you love the orphans and so does the world, but what about the injured!!!

January 18, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  6. Sharon Holiday

First of all, Anderson, your the best reporter I have ever watched. I also want to nominate Dr. Gupta for hero of the year. I agree that security is needed in Haiti. Unfortunately, with the lack of Haitian police and the military stretched thin, they are going to need to gather the retired US police, who are working for security firms,

I feel sickened that food and supplies are not being distributed.

January 18, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  7. Susan Mershon

Thank you CNN and Anderson Cooper for the in depth coverage of the tragedy in Haiti. I love the fact that Anderson asks the hard questions and isn't afraid of the consequences. They need to be asked and people held accountable. Your reporting has helped get thru the red tape and continues to do so. Keep it up!!

Thank you for helping the orphans!!

January 18, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  8. Rose NH

Hi Anderson, a few minutes ago you showed some footage of the violence going on in Haiti.. It is very sad all this is happening. People suffereing, dying, fighting like this. Anderson, sometimes I feel you are way too close to the danger. Shooting and your basically there. Your brave but not metal. Please be careful, is it worth your life...You were such a sweatheart to help that little boy. You really do put your life after others. All your camera crew as well. I will keep watching your broadcast, but do not to see or hear you have been hurt. Be safe... Rose

January 18, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  9. Fernando Espina

Anderson: I can't thank you enough fo all the EXCELLENT reporting that you and all the CNN team is doing in Haiti. What I like the most is that you guys CALL IT AS IT IS,, there is no BS, you make he questions and remarks that we want to hear. Keep up the FANTASTIC work. That goes for you and all your team (Dr Sanjay, Gary, etc.....)

January 18, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  10. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

The assessment teams need a kick in the 'ass'essment!

January 18, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Cynthia, Connecticut,
    Hotel Montana already damaged where Anderson was standing by hotel Montana.

January 18, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  12. Naeemah

I just don't get it. Why is it taking so long to get medical supplies to the people. If media crews are on the ground, can't they get the supplies to the people. Why does a child only get amoxicillin for an amputation. I just don't understand this! Please help me understand....

January 18, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  13. Karen Dawe

I will try to keep it short. Instead of having the store owners try to move there stock, why doesn't US use there money to purchase all this stuff cost + 10%. This surplus warehouse with candles, blankets, food, )which may expire if not able to start store up soon) the store owner gets something and this surplus could be distributed. I do not know how many stores have stock in warehouses there, but lets help them and get these precious supplies out to the Haitians. This would eliminate looting, and the black market. Its is a win win. I'm sure it would be said well everybody won't get the same things, but getting something to some is better than nothing. The Haitian people seem to be willing to share if they don't get to the point of desperation. You are doing a remarkable job and Dr. Songay. God Bless Karen

January 18, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  14. Janice, Maryland

Anderson, as always, the best news coverage! Why could Israel manage to set up a field hospital before the US? Didn't we learn anything after Katrina in New Orleans? Please keep asking these hard questions that most of us watcing are asking also. The heck with the ex- presidents, etc. and get the important things in there first!

January 18, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  15. Kris

Has anyone responded to Johnny Cummins' comment? Has the information been passed to the appropriate people? I've fwd'd it as a news tip. trying to make sure it's heard!

January 18, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  16. Kathy

Thank God for Anderson Cooper. His analysis of what is going on in Haiti is spot on and he asks the right questions.

January 18, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  17. Yves from Canada

We all realise that it is very hard to find out who is in charge amist the cahost, however, by now, there has to be a command centre responsible for who lands and who does not. And quite frankly, the Us military or embassy should be I3C and tghis should be made clear to all international organisations (for now anyways) .No doubt that Doctors without borders should get priority. Unfortunately, Some politicians are probably pulling ranks to get the PR out of this extremely sad event. unfortunately, thats part of these type of events.

January 18, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  18. M. H. Rudolph

Your reporting has been amazing and I understand the emotional basis for your questions about how things are being coordinated. You know, by being in the middle of looting incidents, that you can grab one boy and get him out of the way, but you can't be everywhere and save everyone and neither can the NGOs.

January 18, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  19. Linda, from North Dakota

Anderson you are doing a wonderful job reporting. We want to see something on Hotel Montana. A lot of people from other countries are depending on CNN to find out what is going on and we haven't seen anything on the Hotel.

January 18, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  20. Marlene

Thank you Anderson and Dr. Sanjay, you are keeping us informed and it might be brutal, but I feel that it is honest. I am concerned for all of you, and your health, both physical and emmotional. You are not exempt from post traumatic stress, and over the days, you all look thinner, and more tired. Please come home when you need to, and again Thank You. I do have one question. Who is actually in charge of this operation, for the immediate and long term?

January 18, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  21. Raquel

where is the food for Haiti what are they waiting for? 6 days and I dont see any help in feding them, let me tell you they being very good if I where there I will tell everybody to go to the airport thats where te water and food is ,because no comprendo why with all the help that went there I DONT SEE THEM FEEDING THE ANYTHING BUT CANDY BARS and make me think where is all the money going I wonder in whos pockets . Anderson Cooper doing a very good job there I THINK HES GETTING THE IDEA TOO

January 18, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  22. Elizabeth

Anderson and Sanjay are clearly frustrated... and apparently alot with the large aid organizations and givernment bodies.

If they have been so ineffective why do the CNN suggestions (and the Larry King telethon) keep asking us to send money to them (i.e the big bodies like the Unicefs and RedCrosses of the world which already have a lot of money)???

Maybe we should be sending more money to the more nimble rapid response groups like Doctors without Borders and the World Food Program!!

January 18, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  23. Caroline, Los Angeles

How can Clinton pose for a photo op at this time? Holy cow.

January 18, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  24. Ricardo

I've actually considered flying down to DR and renting a truck, fill it with food and drive across the border. This is ridiculous. Anderson, please tell the White House and Hillary Clinton that more troops are needed to take swift action and move these people to safety and aid while the cleanup and recovery process is expedited!

January 18, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  25. Jeya

Hi Anderson ... I don't normally comment on shows etc ... but after watching CNN for the past week, I feel very compelled to say "Thank You" for all that you and your wonderful colleagues have done. Keep up with the awesome work you are doing. I just finished watching your show and fully agree with whatever you had to say. I plan on donating to Doctors without Borders as soon as I can. Tried texting during LK's show but because I live in Canada my mobile phone wasn't participating. Anyway, thank you again so very much ... I have been crying everyday watching your show especially. You are a good man ... thank you for being an incredible human. I agree with you when you say "We all love orphans" :o) .... Take care and stay safe ... to you and all of your colleagues.

January 18, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  26. starr formerly known as vincent

I DO NOT understand. WHY was this business man taking his food supplies away from people who really need it. I'm pretty sure his ins. co. would reimburse him!

If he had distrubuted what he had in an orderly fashion, maybe "looting" would not have occurred.

God Bless you Anderson for steipping in for that young boy. Hopefully, his in ury is not too serious. The scalp is very vascular, so with a cut to the scalp you can have copious amounts of blood without a serious in ury.

January 18, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  27. Andrea

Anderson I want to congratulate you and the whole team for doing such an amazing job on your coverage on Haiti. You have showed such dedication and courage that should be imitated by others. I almost cry today when I saw you carrying that boy. Thanks so much for everything you guys are doing. God Bless you!

January 18, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  28. Luria Dickson

Anderson: You are asking the right questions, why did they not take the patients with them Friday nite? Common sense not central planning. It seems they are afraid of the Haitian people. They will protect the aide workers if they see they are doing something. You and Dr. Gupta have walked the streets for days and you seem OK. You and Dr. Gupta are in the position to really make a difference here. We {the world} are listening to you and the powers that be will have to if you keep at it. Go get um. I don't mean that in a confrontational sense, but just to urge action and common sense prevails, a surgical unit can't land, not OK... Thank you so much for your coverage.

January 18, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  29. Kathy

Thank you to the CNN team, on the ground, in Haiti. You are all amazing! Anderson, please keep asking the tough questions!
    You are the voice of the Haitians.

God Bless all of you and be safe.

January 18, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  30. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Wow. That's pretty brave. When I think of the AIDS epidemic in Haiti it takes a lot of guts to simply pick-up someone that's bleeding everywhere and help them with your bare hands. I totally get that although I find it scary.

31. James Lainé, San Diego

I have a brother Philippe Henry Lainé in Haiti, we have not heard from him. PLEASE HELP...

32. Saera El Paso, TX

Someone please tell Anderson, his is way cooler than he gives himself credit for. That boy had so much blood on his face...

33. June

Ultrasound coming. Let Sanjay know 20 handheld (battery powered) ultrasound systems (backpacks) should arrive within the few days via Project Hope. These systems will help the medical staff diagnos the injured.

Thank you for being our eyes to the situation in Haiti and continually keep us up-to-date on world events. Be safe!

34. Amanda, Quincy, IL

My thoughts & prayers are w/ the people of Haiti, AC, Dr.Gupta & everoyone there on the ground trying to help! I only wish I had more money I could give or more I could do to help!

35. kashmier

Kara – that is a good point regarding the fuel in the plane.

36. Jane

My husband is a family practice doctor who is ready to go and take care of patients in Haiti. He is having trouble getting there. Is there actually transportation out of Dominican Republic? We are in Minneapolis and can get him to DR but he is concerned about getting across. He previously worked at the small charity called Matthew 25 which was feature on The Today Show today.

37. Sano

That last point was very important, Anderson! Who's making the decisions? Have former President Bill Clinton, the head of the Coast Gaurd unit, President of Haiti, leaders from other nations, Doctors Without Borders Admin"s, and others established a communication board? What is really going on, in terms of creating a viable organization of collective efforts?

The "looting" is not just violent acts by "gangs." People are hungry and desperate! Why would anyone die of hunger, before they go looking for food (even if it is in a demolished store)? This points to the magnitude of the catasrophe. They are not going to die from hunger, before going to find food. The food sitting in big piles at the airport (that we all see on the news) needs to be distributed faster!!! Days and nights should not pass as food and relief sits at the airport. The most immediate outcome will be looting and painstacking violence. Those store owners should be giving that food away!!! Protecting material things when folks are dying is a contradiction in human spirit.

38. sally smith

During this Haiti fiasco is the first I have watched CNN. I am mesmerized. The compassion from Anderson and Dr Sanjay
    and all of the other reporters have shown that they are truly
    human. I have never seen such compassion from the media,
    and I am "no spring chicken". I have been moved to tears from
    the reality. Please continue with this beautiful and touching
    reporting. Thanks so much

39. Jennifer - NJ

Anderson– You're about the only Haiti news I have watched every night. Your stories of the doctors and the orphans are just what people should be hearing about. I hope you don't get all the angry emails when you just mentioned that supplies should get through to the people before the govenor of Pennsylvania should. I think the people understand your plight and you understand more than any of us watching what is needed down there. Thanks for the giving us the news, while also stepping in to help yourself when needed! Great coverage by you and your crew!!!!

40. Lori

Anderson Cooper is an amazing person. CNN is an amazing team.

41. chris mundwiler

Hey Anderson, You were questioning whether you should be so honest re the "who is running things around her?" and the orphans/Gov Rendell vs the French Doctors Without Borders. Please keep asking the tough questions down there. You and your partners are doing an awesome job and we need to know what is really going on. In my sixty plus years I have not seen any more poignient, telling it how it is stories. This is such a hideous tragedy. Please don't let the American public lose track of how important this is. thank you and Soledad, Dr Gupta and all the others. thoughts and prayers on with everyone in Haiti. Chris

42. Deena

It seems amazing that the US is caught up in red tape so it would seem from this news and can't get the children and the infants out of there conducting paperwork in the US upon arrival.
    Has any reporters gone to the Domincan Republic to report on the affects of this disaster on their country, medical doctors, police, stores? Etc?

43. Heather

Hey Anderson I've been watching the Haiti coverage since day one. I can't even imagine the terrible things you have all seen... My heart breaks for all that are there living through this nightmare.. You are all doing a great job covering this most upsetting natural disaster.

January 18, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  44. yolette

I'm greatful to the CNN staff especially those who r working in horrible condition in Haiti to report these live and heartwrenching stories. I present my deep condoleances for the non-haitian who lost their love ones in the disaster. Enderson, as haitian i wd like u to pass this message 2 all haitians around the world 2 donate $5 monthly thru their phone bills to help rebuild the beautiful country that we all love, Haiti. As the late President JFK said,"don't ask what ur country can do for u, but ask what u can do for our country. My brothers and sisters haitians now its the time.

January 18, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  45. Seth Goldberg

if the diesel fuel doesn't start flowing the problems are going to multiply. this is a generator dependent country. we need fuel in les cayes. prices for food and fuel have doubled please move the kids to les cayes where they will be safe please contact freethekids.org they have space

January 18, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  46. Mary Anne Brown

Let them look.......my God man, let them loot...........

January 18, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  47. Ivo Jasek

Can we nominate Anderson or Sanjay for the hero's of the year? or is the host ineligible to win? 🙂

January 18, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  48. Marcus, San Jose, CA

Anderson,

Its maddening to see the bureaucratic nonsense that prevents organizations and the doctors from saving lives. Nonstop delays for following protocol just to appease those who are fearful and afraid! This is an emergency, and people are dying. Its pathetic that the people with power dilly dally and waste precious minutes...

Hopefully, those who are meant to live to share their story can hang on for a few more days until they are rescued. I am looking forward to seeing the rescue dogs finding survivors in the ruble.

Incidentally, hopefully, when the large equipment comes to bulldoze the cement they will have to be careful.

God bless you Anderson. God bless CNN. God bless the people of Haiti.

January 18, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  49. Helen Priggemeier

I realize the urgent need for water and food and the shock of the aftermath of the earthqauake. But the videos of so many young men walking the streets concerns me. I just wonder why the President of Haiti has not, almost a week later, put together some form of work crews to clear the roads so help can get into the city. Since the main airport is so congested one would think these many young men would be doing something to clear the way for the medical teams and supplies.

January 18, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  50. Danielle - Los Angeles

The forcast calls for rain in P-au-P later in the week. I hope it doesn't but if it does things will be even worse than they are now, if that's even possible. Are there plans for temporary housing in the works?

January 18, 2010 at 11:09 pm |