January 18th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/18/10

Tonight, live from Haiti, gunfire in the streets as looters target a store in Port-au-Prince. Plus, the medical crisis. Dr. Gupta steps in to perform surgery on a 12-year-old girl and when doctors abandoned their patients. Plus, there's still hope that survivors will be found in the rubble.

Want more insight on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Isabel - Brazil •

How is the boy, anyone know?

January 18, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  2. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All! It looks like things have gotten worse.I'm sure many of those people wouldn't normally loot..maybe they are just trying to survive.Sanjay and Anderson both helped people today,I believe out of instinct,how could they not.Bless their souls.Stay safe....

January 18, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  3. Su from Fort Lee, NJ

PLEASE BE CAREFUL, ANDERSON!
    Darwin's theory playing out in Haiti...
    It never ceases to amaze me when I witness act of heroism and instinct to help...I dont think you thought a second about your own safety when you rescued that little boy.
    There are millions of Americans facing difficulties and economic hardship and yet THEY are the ones raisin millions and coming to the aide of these people...Incredible generosity and giving spirit of the American people...

January 18, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  4. Leigh Ann

My prays are with you. May God bless you with peace and grace Mr. Cooper for all of your unselfishness. Please keep up your wonderful work

January 18, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  5. Terrance, Haiti

Anderson, There are lots of dead bodies and people still screaming under the rubbles... Fontamara 43 section of carefoure...No food and water... Please help. Ask for Terrance Antoine

January 18, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  6. Molly - Orlando, FL

Anderson has a good point: why weren't air drops happening last week? Logistics & organization are important, but how long does it take to drop food, water, medicine & supplies?

January 18, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  7. Isabel - Brazil •

@Chris

I repeat to you!

God bless you Anderson.
    God bles you Dr. Gupta.
    God bless CNN.

January 18, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  8. Shawn

Anderson. I'm watching your broadcast right now. You are a stand up guy! Putting yourself at risk to help that kid was amazing.

I have all the respect in the world for what you are doing!

Be safe,
    Shawn

January 18, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  9. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Evening everyone.

Watching those images just shows us that everything it's going out of control. You have/must know that those people are not hungry since the earthquake, there's been hunger in Haiti since FOREVER! I cannot believe that 6 days after the earthquake there's still NO organization for the food distribution. It is sad and horrible to see what's going on.

January 18, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  10. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I have to wonder what type of security Anderson had with him during the downtown looting. I am surprised that CNN would allow him to be exposed in that way.

January 18, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  11. Carolyn Scott, Fort Hood

Anderson, take care of yourself. You, along with Dr. Gupta, are HEROES. Your service to your country is that you are willing to speak the truth.

January 18, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  12. shirley

so dangerous..for Anderson and all reporters of every network. as ppl get desperate, the situation gets more dire and they will end up killing their own. what is worse? to be killed by a natural disaster or to be killed violently in the hands of your own ppl? so sad....

January 18, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  13. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Gosh, has the blog been going on since the Haiti coverage started? I just assumed it wasn't. Glad to see the "store is still open," stateside. The whole story is simply fascinating and it's hard to imagine while I sit here safe in my warm home in the U.S. Boy are we insulated.

January 18, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  14. Katie

Hi Anderson, what is the progress at the Montana Hotel? I feel the pain for the parents who were pleading on CNN to the Ambassador regarding their missing daughter.

January 18, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  15. Jackie Lopez

Anderson just showed true journalism... inspirational... took off his journalism title and saved a child's life

January 18, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  16. starr formerly known as vincent

Is it looting if people after many days are taking supplies that they need. They are not taking TV's – they are taking "supplies"".

I realize that possibly some of these items will be "sold" at a high price. But, come on, i'm amazed and impressed that the Haitian people have not rioted before now.

The violence, very unfortunate.

January 18, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  17. Isabel - Brazil •

A very beautiful attitude of AC!

January 18, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  18. Dr Rand Pink

Anderson Cooper's coverage redefines the title: AC360.
    Where is Anderson?
    Wherever There is News! CNN!

January 18, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  19. Elsie

Anderson and Dr. Sanjay are true Heros! As a Haitian-American I am proud to see you cover the "the good, the bad, and most importantly, the truth!" Thank you for saving lives while covering the stories.

January 18, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  20. Danielle - Los Angeles

It's unfortunate that it took a tragedy of such epic proportions to bring to light the dysfunctions of aid organizations and the UN. Someone should have been on the ground the day after the quake at the latest to begin to assess the situation and prepare an action plan.

I'm sure the UN has actuaries they should have been better prepared. This is sickening! The inability to propery assess the situation is causing more death.

January 18, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  21. Jacqueline, NY

I'm very proud of you all at CNN for doing more than just reporting the news. You're actually pitching in and helping with your hands.

That said, I'd like to share with you an idea that came to me last week. It seems that CNN and other networks can do things that our own government can't even seem to do, like reach the president of Haiti, get to locations with equipment and supplies. Why doesn't CNN form a trained relief team to travel with the reporters as they go on location to natural disaster areas. That way, while victims are waiting for governments to plan, strategies and cut through red tape, CNN will be there already prepared to help.

Anderson, I'm very proud of you. Please be careful and stay safe.

January 18, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  22. ree

I give Anderson and the other journalists lots of credit!
    This story doesn't really compare to some of the USA disasters we have had and that CNN has covered.
    Anderson is putting is own life on the line, so that we here in the USA can see what is going on.
    The least we here in the USA can do is donate money to help the Haitian community-may God heal us all from this.

January 18, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  23. Chris

God bless you Anderson.
    God bles you Dr. Gupta.
    God bless CNN.

January 18, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  24. Maria

How long will you be in Haiti, Anderson?

January 18, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  25. Kristy

Hello Anderson, I am a mom to a 2 yr old little boy, and am very weary of the world around me as i try to raise my child to be the best human he can be. You are the only news anchor that i trust in watching.....Thank you for the wonderful job you continue to do everyday.

January 18, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  26. marlene

Haiti needs more US military protection to control looting and violence

January 18, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  27. Pauline Leila

Anderson you have the best coverage I've seen thus far- I feel for you- I can't begin to imagine the emotions you are feeling and psychological exhaustion. Is the violence really only escalating today? . You deserve an award.Are their any missions their yet? And how are those 2 poor girls Ali and Jamie from Pittsburg, with the orphanage?

January 18, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Paola, It's taking ao long time to rebuilding around one year to month in Haiti.

January 18, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  29. Isabel - Brazil •

The policy is using violence too

January 18, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  30. Purva

Hi everyone....Anderson was wonderful helping the boy this evening....It shows he is not just there telling us the story as a reporter but is a wonderful human being who can risk his life to save others...you are our Hero..:)

January 18, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  31. Pam

Anderson and Sanjay, you are doing such an awesome job! Thanks for helping us see what is going on in Haiti. Thanks for not leaving!

January 18, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  32. Kelsi

Anderson-I hope u & ur tam are ok. What happened to the boy u saved? can u try and track him down? have heard reports of people singing in the streets. they sing of what?

January 18, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  33. Elsie

I am surprised that "looting" did not happen sooner. These people are desperate. Please do not judge them by their actions but instead, by their current situation. I could only imagine what I would do for my family given the same circumstances.

January 18, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  34. Andrea Rohlehr-McAdam

Anderson you and Sanjay rock!

January 18, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Kathy Chicago

OMG, AC, I saw you helping that young man who had been wounded. wolf played the tape. Please be safe.

January 18, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Nathalie Devot

Hi Anderson,

Thank you so much for all that you are doing for my country...You, Dr. Gupta, and all the others are amazing and loving people...May God bless you all!...I will never forget!

January 18, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Greg Simmons

Great Work Anderson, Larry, Sanjay and all the CNN correspondentas and the unseen support people behind them..

After the "crisis" is over..that is where wemust prove our worth.. What can we continue to do ??

We must all give what we can, evein in these difficult times. From each according to their ability to each according to their need...........

The Networks need to pledge to their viewers that they WILL COMMIT a regular scheduled air-time to an update of progress in Haiti.. Not just now, or the next few weeks, but for a cvommited period. Keeping the World's eyes upon and her citizens informed will preven the people of Haiti falling prey to the terrible situations and politics that have exaggerated the extent of this disaster.

January 18, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Isabel - Brazil •

Good evening Anderson, David (Indiana) and friends!

Another tough day for the Haitian people, but some victories make the heart beat stronger, such as people being found alive and Anderson carrying a injured boy!

@Anderson
    You, Dr Gupta and all team are true heroes!!

January 18, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Margaret

What keeps people like Anderson going day in and day out in these conditiions?

January 18, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Cynthia, NC

Good evening everyone. Another day with more moving stories from Haiti.

Anderson, tonight I watched you be more than a journalist. You were an angel sent down to help that young boy caught in the chaos of the looting. Stay safe and God Bless You!

January 18, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Paola

How long will it take to reconstruct Haiti?

January 18, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  42. starr formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson, Dr. Gupta, Gary Tuchman & ALL the rest of the reporters in the field! Also, good evening Team 360 in the studio.

Good evening fellow bloggers.

And Miricles still happen......but the delay disappointing.

January 18, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  43. J.D. Jackson

Thank you, Anderson, for your work down there in bringing attention to the plight of the people, and for bringing your compassion to this story.

January 18, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  44. ree

bravo anderson..............you deserve a medal of honor!

January 18, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Jackie Lopez

Stay Safe Anderson.. Truly heartbreaking it took an earthquake to shed light on a very stricken poverty country.

January 18, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Maria

I want to thank all the CNN folks for their coverage in Haiti. It is by far the most effective. I feel like I'm there. I feel the pain and suffering with all of you. God bless you all.

January 18, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Danielle - Los Angeles

Good evening everyone. Anderson was amazing today helping that young boy.

January 18, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Jessica Y, Ed Henry, David Gergen Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Hope you have a great weekend!!!!!! Happy Monday!
    Anderson is doing great job reporting from Port-au-Prince, Haiti....... Hope you need help this website take donations, Go to cnn.com/impact. What you need to share their charity to help poor people in Haiti.

January 18, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Chris

Are the Marines in the city yet? I've heard that the BATAAN should be there but I've not seen the Marines on TV.

January 18, 2010 at 10:00 pm |