January 15th, 2010

Video: Haitian burial

Anderson Cooper | BIO
AC360° Anchor

Filed under: Anderson Cooper • Haiti Earthquake
  1. Barbara-Dalton

Anderson, Sanjay, Gary and all the other cnn news personnel are to
    be commented for the great reporting they have been doing. Our
    prayers for the people or Haiti and the safety of you guys continue.
    I hope you have given thought to how long you should remain there
    without a break–maybe you should come up with a plan to do a rotation in the coming weeks because of the emotional stress that
    goes with the type of reporting. You will have reached the breaking
    point before you realize it.

We also want to thank cnn for providing the information to contribute
    to the relief efforts. It's a shame that in times like some people
    will resort to criminal means to make a buck.

January 15, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
  2. Jill

I agree with Teresa's comment. I am really struck by the fiath that these people have in the face of this tragedy. I am Catholic, and for me, these are my brothers and sisters. That would be a really interesting angle that would be nice to see. When they call out to each other, saying 'Brother" and "Sister", that is typical of our faith. I find it very touching and am awstruck by their resilience and optimism. They will overcome, of that I am sure.

January 15, 2010 at 3:29 pm |
  3. Aurora

I know people are growing restless and logistics is a challenge, but it is possible to organize willing survivors to gather the corpses, collect debris, etc.?, In other words, engage them in the recovery of the city,. with the guarantee they will have priority to food, water and a small salary for the work performed. Haitians are hard workers, I believe they just need guidance

When I see them wandering around with nowhere to go, I wish I could be there and work alongside them.

January 15, 2010 at 3:22 pm |
  4. Lillian Companion

Can someone not take pictures of the dead before the mass burials so that loved ones can later identify their family or friends to bring some closure to the suffering? Good job of covering this unbearable disaster.

January 15, 2010 at 3:12 pm |
  5. Ellie B London UK

It breaks my heart. My thoughts and prayers go out to all in Haiti.

January 15, 2010 at 3:01 pm |
  6. LOIS

Anderson,

This is such a sad story but one that has to be told – just heart breaking to think that no one has a record of your birth/death and you are buried with no name – this is very hard to watch. I was hoping it would be you covering this story for CNN; You always tell the "real" story and show pictures of just how it is.

Thank you for putting yourself at risk and covering such an important story.

Lois

January 15, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
  7. Graeme Toronto Canada

Anderson and the team thank you so much for bringing the reality and horror of what has happened to the public attention. I was particularly moved by Dr Gupta's help of the young baby yesterday. I am sure as a doctor he must feel overwhelmed by so much death and wounded.

I can only imagine what all your private thoughts are on this tragedy.

Please stay safe and continue the excellent journalism.

January 15, 2010 at 2:54 pm |
  8. Graciela

Please cover the recue efforts at the UN building and MINUSTAH. My husband, blege, is trapped in the building. He was at a meeting. Please provide information. Is there hope of survivers there!

Please cover MINUSTAH building. It is impossible to obtain info.

January 15, 2010 at 2:46 pm |
  9. Jill Chodorov

I would like to go to Haiti to volunteer. Does anyone know of organizations that are looking for volunteers?

January 15, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
  10. Candace

Anderson just proves why he is the best in journalism. He is fearless and willing to go anywhere to report news in stark reality. Great job!

January 15, 2010 at 2:30 pm |
  11. Len Jaca

This is the most painful burial I ever saw. Losing a love one itself is unbearable, how much more when the family cannot even give their death love ones proper burial. I would like to commend all the men & women of CNN who are covering this tragic news. CNN is our eyes, so the world is updated on fresh updates on Haiti. May God Bless the people of Haiti and all the volunteers, US military personnels, aid workers and news personnel.

January 15, 2010 at 2:24 pm |
  12. craig conrad

There is a rice mill across from porta prince that is self sasating and can feed many if you want to know I worked there in the 90 with many co-workers It has water and a generater.It is located in Lafatue. and is on the waterwith its own access and can unload and bag rice Think that you can help getthis plant noticed to help feed the people. I am sure that ifneeded we who built this place and get there and make it work we are from Texas at american rice . let us knowif there is any need to help

January 15, 2010 at 2:18 pm |
  13. Jean H. Celestin

Why they are only focus in Port-au-Prince and there are some many other places like Leogane, Jacmel, Petit Goave in a very bad situation right now and there is no help at all.

January 15, 2010 at 1:50 pm |
  14. alexis

your compasition can be felt by your voyce on cnn , l am glad people like you are the one reporting this tragedy because you do not forget
    tha this is a big story but thios story is about real people
    thanks for showing their humanity not just treir poverty.....

January 15, 2010 at 1:47 pm |
  15. Lurine Howard

Mr. Cooper,
    I just want you to know that you are the greatest reporter I have ever seen. Words cannot describe how proud I am of you. I am an older person and seen and heard a lot of things, but you are one of a kind. Thanks and keep up the good work. God bless you.

January 15, 2010 at 1:44 pm |
  16. Jessica

Mr. Cooper,
    God bless you.....

January 15, 2010 at 1:19 pm |
  17. charlene green

thank GOD for cnn and the great works they are doing and always do real humanitaritans,not just covering stories.let us all continue to pray for them as well as all there doing such great work .pray for the nation as a whole.even rush limbaugh and pat robertson they are to be pitied.they have serious issuses

January 15, 2010 at 1:16 pm |
  18. Carole Ganthier

my family continues on looking for Sarah Lauture believed to be still under the rubbles at Montana Hotel. Please help. The woman Sarah who was removed earlier today is not related to us.....Sarah was on the third floor working at the bar area when the earthquake happened. You showed the picture of her uncle Dominique Lauture during one of your previous reports....Please help us. if you need to get in touch with related family in Haiti call krystele Soray 516-417-8356 in Miami Myriam De Delva(786)217-3922 in Houston Carole Ganthier 713-793-3931. Please we are desperate to hear some good news.

January 15, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
  19. meme

there are still some places in Haiti that the US has not been yet...people are drinking dirty water..do they plan on just staying in one area or moving around?? the people of carfour need food, water, medical attention asap! My friend has contact us to let us know his ok, but have not eaten. What can we do about this?

January 15, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
  20. chedly

Dear Anderson!!!!Thank you very much for your help!! Can you please to go ROYAL HAITIAN Hotel ..in room #112. They need water , food and any other help they can get......If anyone out there can you please tell someone about them please.

January 15, 2010 at 12:39 pm |
  21. Ted Amick

Anderson: Your reporting is Award winning. You give us honest concise accurate reporting.. straight to the point...Seems to me that medical supplies are not getting in where they are needed. With helicopters and naval ships now on site.. they should be putting health needs first.. then clear the roads...

Keep up the good work and God Bless.

January 15, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
  22. John Long

Why are they not able to treat this like an ocean rescue an fly a chopper in and air lift these people out? Also why not fly a chopper in hover over where they need medical supplys and drop them to the doctors in a basket? I understand I'm not there, howevr it seems to me, instead of waiting on ground transportation, do what they do over the sea on a rescue....I've seen choppers there yesterday.....

John

January 15, 2010 at 12:24 pm |
  23. Cindy

I think is by far the best report I've seen from Haiti so far! CONGRATS to Cooper on that!!

It's sad that this woman was alive when found but then died because of lack of help. It's also sad that they had to bury her in someone else's grave and not really get to say goodbye properly. At least they know where she is buried!

It is so sad that a lot of these people will never be known or seen again. Their families will always have to wonder where they are and what happened to their body's. Just like Anderson I can't seem to get over that either. So sad!

Cindy..Ga.

January 15, 2010 at 12:20 pm |
  24. Elda

I want to thank you, your crew and CNN for providing great coverage on this tragety. I have been glued to CNN since the incident and with your live account it feels like I am right there. I thank you and pray for your safe return. THANK YOU!!!

January 15, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
  25. Denise Barlow

Good Morning Anderson,
    Your coverage of this tragic event breaks my heart. To think thousands of people, who have died, will go unclaimed by family members because of the way they are being "dumped". My thoughts, heart and prayers go out to the entire country of Haiti and families throughout the world who wait in desparation for news, good or bad.

January 15, 2010 at 11:47 am |
  26. Mike Ward

Anderson,
    After spending time in Hati for the past several years, I find it unbelievable that supplies are not leaving the airport. CNN and others keep reporting on the subject that they are wainting for large equipment to clear the roads. The Haitian people do not need large equipment to move goods through their streets. You can move a skid full of medical supplies the same way they do it every day, by carrying large baskets on their head, donkeys and mules. In my stays in Hati, I see thousands of pounds of product being taken to market this way, not by Humvies or large equipment. You literally could have the medical facilities resupplied in a coulpe of hours.

When the average Haitian makes $2 a day, you could offer through our funds $5 a day and have more labor than you would know what to do with.

Hopefully someone will get this message to the people in charge.

Mike ward

January 15, 2010 at 11:41 am |
  27. Nedjeen Baptiste

Anderson I can't thank you enough for helping us at a time of sorrow and God will bless you even more, I love you even more my brother and remember your work it's not in vein, I thank you so much Anderson for being a helping hand and not just a reporting

Love; Peace; Joy are all yours

Nedjeen

January 15, 2010 at 11:35 am |
  28. michele

Should the general public be making a request of the Goldman Sachs bonus recipients to donate 50% of those receipts to the Haiti effort?

January 15, 2010 at 11:13 am |
  29. Thomas Frauenshuh

PLEASE, will someone contact our big DRUG COMPANIES, and ask them to send the much needed antibiotics to Haiti immediately?

January 15, 2010 at 11:07 am |
  30. Caroline

Thank you for following your heart in the stories you are revealing out of Haiti and I am glad you are not immune to these stories as we in the U.S. and around the world need to see and hear them. Wishing you and the crew continued safety.

January 15, 2010 at 11:02 am |
  31. Donald H

Thanks 4 reporting & helping my country.

January 15, 2010 at 10:57 am |
  32. Bob D.

Are you aware that in almost every subject you cover on film it shows you standing in the way of the hard working people trying to remove victoms while they are still alive? Why can't you move your cameras and yourself back a little bit and simply use a telephoto lens?

January 15, 2010 at 10:34 am |
  33. Lana - New Orleans

Is there ANY way to take pictures of the dead for future indentification. In New Orleans we at least had dental records and bodies to match them up. These people wont even have that....someone had a digital camera and could down load them for later printing....so sad.....

January 15, 2010 at 10:28 am |
  34. Myrtha

Oh my God!
    I have family in Haiti too. All I can do right now is pray for the best. We all are suffering for our people wishing that help could be quicker. I pray day and night for my people. I just want to say thank you to all the people that are helping Haiti.

Haiti Cherie
    Myrtha

January 15, 2010 at 10:17 am |
  35. teresa mckee

i would to hear a story about what the catholic church is doing in haiti to help the 95% catholic people there. we hear about what the military is doing, what several different countries are doing, what every one is doing except the church

January 15, 2010 at 10:05 am |
  36. Sofie

Dear Anderson
    You cover the best of news on CNN.

January 15, 2010 at 9:55 am |
  37. Tim Gibson

How can any of us even imagine?

January 15, 2010 at 9:45 am |
  38. Myra Davis

I watched the video on CNN .This is very sad. too many people die, they don't even able to give their love one a propared burial . Just to see this tragic in Haiti it made me cry. My heart and prayers goes to all of them.

January 15, 2010 at 8:19 am |
  39. Chris H.

Anderson,
    I was so moved by your report on the death and burial of the people who perished in the earthquake I needed to respond. The sad reality is many of these people probably have no record of their birth either. I have been to Haiti several times. We have a friend living there who runs Jesus in Haiti ministry. Tom Osbeck the director of the mission does ministry to people living and working in the garbage dump near where you are at. Tom makes it a point to always find out people's names and who they are when working with them. He has met individuals who say, "I don't know I have no name." It is appalling to think in 2010 with all the resources we available there are people living in these conditions. People with no record of their birth, death and have no name. My hope is this tragedy lead to a better life for the Haitian people! Sincerely, Chris

January 15, 2010 at 7:59 am |