January 15th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/15/10

Tonight on 360°, we have the latest developments from Haiti. We have the remarkable story of a baby trapped for 62 hours, who is found alive. Plus, we're tracking the aid, a slow process. What's taking so long to help those in need?

Want to know more about our coverage plans? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sabrina in Los Angeles

A real government needs to take over and get things organized.

It is reprehensable at best that these people are being dumped, not even laid out flat and photographed for reference.

What kind of people leaves there dead without burying them?

There is too much internal chaos there.

January 15, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  2. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone! Have a peaceful weekend! Anderson, the stories are told on CNN are true stories. We all know these are no other but reality stories. Try to have a good weekend my friend.

January 15, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  3. peggysue michigan

they need to bypass some laws to get all the children who have no parents out of there. they deserve a new beginning! I just can't wrap my mind around what i am seeing.

January 15, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Susan, NJ

Can't people be in charge of their own security? Don't doctors organizations have thier own security?

January 15, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Paula, Colorado

I hope you are able to get a little rest while you are in Haiti–it's a long time to be in such stressful and emotionally draining circumstances. I pray for safety for all of you there.

January 15, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Jean-Bosco

There is a big situation in the South of Haiti (Jacmel). Please pass this message to the rescuers.
    Thank you CNN for the great work that you're doing. Your coverage has helped a lot of my people finding their love ones.

January 15, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Gary

Thank you Dr Gupta. You have my respect for your efforts as a Doctor now and as a reporter now. Great job and be safe. God bless all.

January 15, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Caroline, Los Angeles

I don't mean the retired general. He's cool.

January 15, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Elaine

where is beyonce, oprah all the rich people, please they should donate planes full of medical equipment and other things. where is kanye ??

January 15, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  10. Shehan Jayawardena, Minneapolis MN

Hey Anderson, thanks for the great reporting, please stay safe...

January 15, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Beth(Texas)

Anderson,
    Ask Gen. Honore if he's willing to go to Haiti and get them organized??
    Someone needs to take charge!! People are dying!!!

January 15, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  12. Judi

I also think because Anderson, Ivan & sanjay are out in the streets & know what's going on why can't they consult with the armed forces or someone & tell them what they need & where. That hospital that was just set up, the Dr.s are being evacuated that is insane why dont they get some of the military guards there & just surround the hospital. We can't keep pulling people out & then have them die coz of no medical care. Bless you journalist for what your doing!

January 15, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  13. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Unrest has to be put at ease before help can be distributed .

January 15, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  14. Jens, Berlin, Germany

Why are there no helicopters transporting nonstop supplys from the aircraft carrier directly into the city of Port-au-Prince? Why they don't transport the supplys to the carrier with ships and from there to Port-au-Prince?

January 15, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  15. alice

Just saw the incident with the supply truck. Two men for security, no interpreter with a bullhorn explaining, women and children first and if there is aggression they leave. This is basic common sense.

January 15, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  16. Susan, NJ

Seriously, I'm thinking Dunkirk and we need a flotilla. The Miracle of Dunkirk involved 900 vessels evacuating 300,000 people. Where are the boats?

January 15, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  17. Sam(antha), Boston MA

Sanjay Gupta is an angel on earth. He really is. The amount of work he does and the things he goes through and helps out with are just phenomenal. He is a truly wonderful and beautiful person. He gives me hope for the world.

And Anderson is also a hero to me. He spends all day long getting the facts and witnessing these acts of horror, and I cannot say in words how much I admire him. Thank you, for everything Anderson. Both you and Sanjay have changed my life just by being genuine.

January 15, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  18. Randy Sykes

I just saw Anderson's report about the orphan children outside with no place to go and not enough food and water. My name is Randy Sykes and the director of International student volunteers. I have an office and a 4000 square foot home in Cabarete in the DR. It has five bathrooms and heaps of space. IF CNN can find a bus to transport these children they can stay in my house in the DR for as long as they like and they will have all the food and water they will need. My staff will help to take care of them full-time and all the cost for the bus and fuel will be covered. Please let me help these precious children and bring them to safety PLEASE!

Randy – 1 714 261 0772. I will be there in the DR next week but my staff can take care of everything in the mean time. No need for anything "stupid" to happen to these children.................PLEASE!

January 15, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  19. Ashley H, Canada

When a major disaster strikes any location on the globe, foreign nations and regular people are always eager to help those in need. It shows that there is hope for the world.

January 15, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  20. Carmen, VA

What is being done in Haiti is not good enough. It is obvious that supplies are not getting redistributed to the people there. Why are there no tent cities being set up yet – maybe right next to the airport? There seems to be no coordination on the ground. Who is in charge? This is Katrina all over again. Very, very sad to see this happen all over again.

January 15, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  21. Isabel - Brazil.

@ Anderson

For a moment it was possible to see you cover your face because of the smell while calling Dr Gupta. Believe me: your sacrifice is being valid

January 15, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  22. Christina from Canada

God bless them. There are no words for the horror. We had to see that to understand the magnitude of the tragedy. Tragedy is too small a word. This reporting has been life changing for me. Through the inhumane I am finding my humanity. We cannot allow Haiti to suffer this and go back to our normal lives in a few days. We must now all be active to ensure the world's wealth is better shared.

January 15, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  23. Cynthia, NC

No human being should have a burial like that. It’s as they were garbage. So sad.....

January 15, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  24. Tim

I think the US responded quicker to this than any other event. You saw today the reason for the delay. Food can not be flown or driven in until there is security. The lawn of the capital would be a great place for the drop off and may even give the people more respect for their government officials. I'd like to see presidnt preval there at the gate with Haitian police and the US marines and UN behind them as food is distributed.

January 15, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  25. Amira Cadon

Isnt the 82nd Airborne Division there? Why cant they air drop the food and supplies along with the US paratroopers?

January 15, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  26. Nikia

I was in Haiti in April and May of 2009and my heart is heavy and hurts after seeing this. I stayed with my Aunt Rose in Delmas. As I see the tragedy, I only see the news focus on downtown Port Au Prince. I would like the relief effort to travel through the blocks of Delmas, because I have not heard from my Aunt. I hear so many people say they haven't heard from family in Delmas and I am so worried. Please go through Delmas. Rose Garcon lives at Delmas 31 # 47.

January 15, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  27. Tom

Anderson and Dr. Gupta;
    Surely (Hopefully) CNN and its resources can help find US Military Troops who could help protect those UN Doctors and Nurses at the MASH unit who have been directed to leave due to security.
    Keep up the good work, God Bless you folks.

January 15, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  28. Dodie

@ Isabel... I am with you.. I am speechless! This should be a wake up call for the entire world

January 15, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  29. Vince

I agree move the babies, orphans, children and elderly to a safe place as quickly as possible... and avoid this dying nightmare of becoming even worst with more horrible and stupid deaths... people have no homes and are are sleeping out doors... . we are praying that it does not rain and hope this is being taken into account.

January 15, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  30. Jane - Vt

Are these American doctors that left? I cannot believe they would leave their patients.

January 15, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  31. Pother Pothik

Question: Why US troops are not deployed at the hospitals so that doctors can go back to treat the injured people?

January 15, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  32. Michelle

Tonight's 360 is just really hard to watch.It is
    just so disturbing. It must really be tough for
    all of you there in Haiti.

January 15, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  33. Susan Rathke

You have mentioned young Haitian children whose U.S. adoptions are nearly complete. It turns out that Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) has unearthed a little-known diplomatic device called "humanitarian parole" and is working with Sec. of State Clinton to expedite these kids' travel to their new US homes.

January 15, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  34. Elaine

God bless Sanjey for staying to care for patients. Unbelievable that the U.N. pulled doctors from patients needing care! Something seriously wrong, someone from CNN please speak to Hillary tomorrow when she arrives, maybe she can do something to get the aid people need and prevent more needless deaths

January 15, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  35. Emily

@Anderson,
    How are you doing this?

Do you have any way to decompress?

walking around all those dead bodies that have been abandoned,

So many emotions, and it all just happened at once.
    What a catastrophe!

January 15, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  36. Kwaku

Hi Everyone.

What do these doctors mean by security concern? I don't think any one on these medical staff is better than Sanjay Gupta. He is helping out isn't he? This is so frustrating. how could they leave amid security fears? I thought the USA sent several troops, can't these troops make the medical zone safe for the medical staff? Now about the orphans... Can we get help for them PLEASE.... Anderson are you guys in touch with the UN or American aid? If you are please show them where these kids are...

January 15, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  37. Phila Madondo

Hey Anderson, Dr Gupta and the rest of the team. Thanks for bringing us this coverage and being hands on with the rescue effort. For yourself Anderson having recently hosted CNN Heroes, this is true Heroism at its best. Stay safe guys, and love you always.

January 15, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  38. Nadine Galland

How in the world are all the courageous reporters ever going to recover!!! I just watched Anderson as he witnessed the dumping of dozens of bodies into a hole like they did in Nazi Germany... I am physically sick.

January 15, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  39. Cheryl

Why can't the military protect the tents for doctors to help these severely injured men, women and children. Can Gary pass the information on the orphanage to anyone that can help these two wonderful women. Someone needs to step up and lead this relief.
    Thank you CNN for staying and not just being the story of the day.

January 15, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  40. starr formerly known as vincent

@ ROMY Maias

CNN has a website @ CNN.com/Impact you world. That site has "Safe" places to donate to.

@Bian Negi Senatus

What a wonderful poem – did you write it? It's message is true, We are all one!

January 15, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  41. Gigi

Regarding the pushing & shoving when being fed; There are many national haitans who are now living in the USA who have made it to Haiti
    They speak the language.
    I am thinking maybe a translator or someone who speaks the language needs to be there while the feeding is going on to explain to them that they must do this in an orderly fashion & make them get in a line.
    If they fail to comply THEN have the UN reps identify those who are the trouble makers- isolate them & remove them from the area & feed them alone.
    On another note, I am VERY concerned about Sanjay Gupta being there alone & someone telling the other Drs to leave.
    WHO is running the show enough to tell the others to leave?
    The UN? Why is the UN thwarting the efforts to help the people?
    I thought the UN was created to HELP?

January 15, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  42. Nancy

I think the expiration date means that quality may be less after that date, not that it is unsafe. How could biscuits be unsafe? That was such a waste.

January 15, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  43. Edward

It is so heartbreaking and so horrible to see that they are dumping dead bodies into a big open land.

January 15, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  44. Danielle - Los Angeles

This becomes more and more unbelievable with each passing day. I understand that the bodies need to be removed but they should be cataloging the dead somehow.

January 15, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  45. Susan, NJ

That dump trunk was horrific. The UN are total wimps – I have no faith in the UN and lack of courage. They have security – why aren't they using it?

January 15, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  46. Isabel - Brazil.

There are no words! This is surreal and horrible!

January 15, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  47. Karen Krnnrdy

This earthquake coverage ' the poor organization, the lack of water, food, orfer and sanitary conditions reminds me of New Orleans and the Superdome, only this time on the scale of millions.

January 15, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  48. Nate

Anderson:

Just a note to say that it is evident that circumstances in Haiti are weighing heavy on your heart… The circumstances are beyond imaginable and what can be coined “normal”. Your ability to be sensitive to the victim’s situation is to be praised and applauded; I cannot imagine seeing what is broadcast in person. You and Sanjay Gupta have been among the few reporters to treat these victims as people versus a news story. Keep the faith, be safe and know that your heart and work is appreciated.

January 15, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  49. Necolese Greene, RN

@Daniella, I just received an e-mail from Faststaff, they are recruiting for RNs with an American passport, and active license, and ready to leave. They are asking for 2 week committments. Check it out on their website. I've just signed up.

January 15, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  50. Susan, NJ

SUGGESTION: Why not hand out dozens of radios/phones to people across the city and countryside so that you can get reports from average citizens about what is currently happening – the pulse?

January 15, 2010 at 10:48 pm |