January 15th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/15/10

Tonight on 360°, we have the latest developments from Haiti. We have the remarkable story of a baby trapped for 62 hours, who is found alive. Plus, we're tracking the aid, a slow process. What's taking so long to help those in need?

Want to know more about our coverage plans? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Edward

I am glad to see a couple adopt a child and spend the rest of their childhood with that couple.

January 15, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  2. Jo Ann in Arkansas

Exceptional coverage of such a horrid tragedy. I am moved to tears!

My prayers and thoughts are with all in Haiti! May aid come fast!

To Anderson and colleaques–you are doing an exceptional job of getting the word out to the world. Your reporting and your spirit are appreciated!

God Bless

January 15, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  3. Danielle - Los Angeles

I find it surprising that the World Food Program has food that was packed 2 years ago, especially with all the starvation in Africa. I would think that 2 year old food would have be depleted some time ago. I understand that it hasn't expired but I'm just wondering.

January 15, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  4. Beth(Texas)

@Georgia
    I agree....how can they leave patients behind!!!

There is obviously politics involved...shameful

January 15, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  5. Jim Fisher

The orphange in haiti are my main concern right now. I am invovled with an orphange called comfort house can you let me know how they are.

January 15, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  6. Hunderson

Hello,
    Please help me locate my cousin in haiti. his name is Ernst (living in Cite Militaire). His phone is there is +509 875 6306. Is he alive? How about his children? Where are they now?
    Also, Kerner Elie living in Delmas. Are you OK?
    Please Please Please help those people in Haiti.
    H

January 15, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I say move the babies to a safety, Now! I think it time for someone to take charge of the situation.

January 15, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  8. Susan, NJ

So it seems that chaos is intregal to these situations instead of the fault of one person or another – like a leader.

January 15, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  9. michael armstrong sr. TX.

The best thing that the American people can do is show compassion to the families in our home land that we care and support them this event reaches further out then Haiti it reaches America.

January 15, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  10. Ashley H, Canada

Hi Anderson, hello 360 bloggers.

CNN, I think you're doing a phenomonal job reporting from Haiti. Keep up the good work.

I know, the little 11-year-old died. I thought she'd be ok...

January 15, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  11. Steve B, Marcy NY

Why are the doctors and nurses being shuttled from their stations for security reasons when all day long our aircraft carrier is offshore with armed military personel and 19 helicopters to get them there? When will someone step up to the plate and say enough is enough and lets get the job done which is to help these suffering people!!!

January 15, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  12. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Use the UN peace keepers to block off areas, drop off mass amounts of supplies so everyone gets fed quickly.

January 15, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  13. Derek B

I have donated money. But I am also available to travel to Haiti to help clean up. How can I find an organization who needs a warm body ?

January 15, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  14. gail

The devastation that has taken place in Haiti is heartbreaking as is the loss of life. Seeing all the rubble blocking the street, the ports destroyed, and the dead not being able to be properly identified and buried has me in tears. I wish help was able to be distributed easier , but I know that it will take time even though I am impatient.

January 15, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  15. Susan, NJ

The peace keepers are a hurry up and wait situation. Why do they have lines of people giving out one meal at a time? Why not two or three people at a time?

January 15, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  16. Isabel - Brazil.

@Iftekhar Mahmud

Good luck! I'm sure you will help and will be rewarded!

January 15, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  17. Eda

Someone needs to talk to President Obama, there is such an incredible FEMA force seating at home. This folks are Incident Command System Trained and know how to work with people in need. Everyone understand that Haiti is not a US territory, but this is humanitarian effort and that task force can be extremely useful for this people right now. Please let him know.

January 15, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  18. Caroline, Los Angeles

@ Dolores--I agree. What is the point of having U.N. Peacekeepers if they can't protect the hospitals?

January 15, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  19. Vince

My take on the orphans for whom the adoption process is already in progress is that once the adoptiove parents can provide sufficient evidence (since documents are lost in the earthquake) that they are the legitimate prospective parents, then evacuate the children temporarily to them on a humanitarian basis with documented agreement by the relevant officials that this a temporary arrangement in the best interests of the children. As I understand it , the prospective adoptive parents are not strangers to the children and a bond is already fostered...

January 15, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  20. A. Smith, Oregon

The large emergency laden support barges should begin arriving in Haiti next week. One contains enough to feed 2 million Haitians for 6 months. Those support barges carry a great deal of emergency supplies and it is essential the main roads into and around Port au Prince are cleared of debris to allow the supplies from those barges to be distributed where it is needed.

January 15, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  21. Edward

So sad to see that those children don't really have barely little water, food and clothes. And they also have to sleep outside to in ninety degree weather. Oh My Gosh. They need help seriously.I would hate to see those children die. I can't adopt them because I'm too young. But there is people out there that would like to have a child, and saving a child in Haiti would be much better than having a child. Those kids lives need to be saved

January 15, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  22. Sophia Fleurimond

Earth Quake in Haiti: Looking for any information about Avenue Fourchard, Port-Au-Prince Haiti

January 15, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  23. yves Timoleon

Thanks CNN and AC for every thing you have done, Good Bless you . But i have one question may be you guy coul tell me how to start the process. How to adopt one of children

January 15, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  24. Susan, NJ

An article said that the mountains in Haiti are 6000ft high, and that many poor homes are built hanging off the side of the mountain. The country has been stripped of trees so they fear mudslides.

January 15, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  25. Sandy

Thank you Anderson for your amazing and heartfelt reporting of the reality of the "stupid" deaths that are needlessly taking place in Haiti. My hope is that because of your being there, our world leaders will be pressured into acting faster to bring relief to the suffering people.
    Hang in there CNN team in Haiti.

January 15, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  26. Kenneth Pollock

Small US Armed Forces cadres, even less than platoon size, can provide security for the hospital that is being abandoned or the orphanage run by the two American women, etc.

Is it possible for Anderson Cooper or Sanjay Gupta to make a direct request on the air to President Obama for this relatively simple solution. Even at the Squad level, these personnel are self sufficient if they want to be and have H2O and MRE's.

January 15, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  27. Barbara Gillespie

My friend, Ellie, has posted information on FaceBook indicating that her cousin, Stephanie, is alive and trapped under a collapsed building at Ruelle Chretien #48. Is there any way that your team can pass this information along to rescue workers?

January 15, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  28. Stephanie

John Stember-

I'm so happy to hear that someone is on the same page. Why can't food and water be dropped by parachutes or packaged food or something!! I don't understand either. If we can think of this- what is taking so long? The planes are there. What are the planes doing? Food and water needs to get to all of these Hatitans, we can't waste anymore time.

January 15, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  29. Emily

@Jo Ann,

It's so rare to see 'Genuine heroes' for they don't seek the spotlight!
    It's a great thing to see when we have the chance.

January 15, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  30. Caroline, Los Angeles

I think what the U.S. has to do is set up refugee camps so that the people can travel to them for food, water, and other needs.

The haphazard way of just driving into neighborhoods and handing stuff out lends itself to stirring up excitement and surprise.

Surprises are the last things Hatians need now.

No more surprise trucks showing up with food would be a good thing. Set up large tents of supplies every mile or half mile or so, if possible.

January 15, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  31. Kathy Chicago

Have they done anything to beef up security yet! Where is the police force and armed services?

January 15, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  32. A. Smith, Oregon

When the rains begin there in Haiti, there are going to be a lot of homeless people exposed to the winds and rain unless a lot of temporary shelters are erected quickly and soon!

January 15, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Susan, NJ

How hard would it be to engage a flotilla of yachts to leave from Florida? Do yachts travel that far? 700 miles? What other options are there?

January 15, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  34. Helen

Alexander has beatutiful eyes.

January 15, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  35. David, Indiana

I do believe God put him right there where he was needed, and it's seeing that young girl rescued is wonderful, but it is very brave for him to go into the wreckage of that building.

@Emily I agree witnessing all those things being reported must be taking a toll, and I wonder too if help and aid is making any inroads. It must be.

Those children need shelter. Will there be a point when the aftershocks stop and the children at the orphanage can go inside again. Is that even a good idea at this pt? Or maybe they should be evacuated as Ross Haskell is saying to safer places?

So many acts of kindness suspended by the earthquake.

January 15, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  36. Sophia Fleurimond

Missing in Haiti, My Grandfather, Luc Pierre #10 4eme Ruelle Martineau, Avenue Fouchard, Port-Au-Prince. 96 years old and blind.

January 15, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Iftekhar Mahmud

Anderson

I am doctor from Bangladesh working as a research associate here in Hamilton , NJ.

I am very much interested to go to Haiti as a doctor to help the people there, they are in short of doctors. I am ready to go. I tried to contcat different medical teams, but they never replied. I am ready to go & stand by the people of Haiti.

January 15, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  38. Georgia - Chicago

The portion of tonight's show with Sanjay Gupta and the tent hospital, where the doctors were leaving for the night, was very disturbing! That is unbelievable. Those patients will be dead in the morning, tents will be gone, medical supplies stolen – it's almost worse than never have showing up in the first place. I can't believe that some UN or US forces couldn't have supplied security for those doctors and nurses for the night. This is so disturbing!

January 15, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  39. Sam

The story of the orphans with people in the US who want them and love them but can't get them just shows how we have separated our humanity into these artificial consructs we call nations that ultimately defy our existence and any true aspect of logic.

January 15, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  40. Dolores

how can the U.N. pull those doctors from tents and leave the patients to die? That is inhumane! Something is seriously wrong. Can CNN contact the state dept. and report this? People can be saved, but not enough is being done. Someone needs to step in and prevent further, needless deaths, Bill Clinton, Hillary, the State Dept., the Red Cross, somebody help, don't let them die.

January 15, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  41. Isabel - Brazil.

This story and example of love of neighbor put me to tears

January 15, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  42. Anthonia-Bay Area!

I know for sure there will be a lot orphans in Haiti because their parents deaths. However, I wish I could adopt them all!! Are there any foundations for the orphanages in Haiti?

January 15, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  43. starr formerly known as vincent

@Emily – I too have not heard a peep out of any Drug Company regading any donations of money or medications!

What about ALL of the other Big Bussiness & Corps – have they stepped up yet?

January 15, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  44. Susan, NJ

We need a crusader who can fight the "no" people, and make this happen. I know that during Katrina people hired Blackwater to go in and get people. Wouldn't you if your loved ones were stranded? Where are the yachts?

January 15, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Emily

@John Stember,
    Anderson talked about that last night...he said how he saw people pushing others to get stuff, and that people that were strong & bigger were pushing children, women, and people that were not as big or strong as they were.

It would be very dangerous!

January 15, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Patt O.

Thank you CNN for your amazing, courageous coverage of the horrific catastrophe in Haiti. Anderson, Gary, Sanjay, and the rest of the team, not to mention the camera/sound men and women are heroes for me. I do hope there is help for all of you to unload, cry, and express your sorrow.
    Hang on, help is on the way. Wish I were able to DO something other than pray and send $.
    Bless you all.

January 15, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  47. Sophia Fleurimond

Dear Anderson Cooper,
    I have tried to put information up under I report but I was unsuccessful. My uncle died in the earthquake, my grandfather is now in Haiti alone and missing. He is a 96 year old blind man, the remainder of his children and grandchildren are in the US. We are worried sick because we have yet to establish contact. The not knowing is driving us all crazy and unable to function. Like I previously said he is blind and 96 years old. Please help us, if we knew the state of his neighborhood atleast, then we would have peace of mind. Please, please, help us locate him. #10 4eme Ruelle Martineau, Avenue Fouchard, Port-Au-Prince. His name is Luc Pierre. He's remaining children are Adeline and Joel, please let him know that we are trying to come.

January 15, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  48. Caroline, Los Angeles

Hello Anderson, CNN team and bloggers. The plight of Haiti is so frustrating and depressing. I wish there was more we could do.

Children react to trauma by shutting down emotionally--thus the lack of crying from little Winnie who was trapped in the rubble for 48+ hours.

January 15, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  49. Denise

Anderson could you please locate my sister Judy C. Roy the only female that's ran for president in Haiti in 2005.

January 15, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  50. Sheider

Why they cannot evacuated all the orphans in Haiti to US. Is that not possible? They do not have anyone to take care of them. There childrens, they don't deserve to die there.

January 15, 2010 at 10:30 pm |