January 15th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/15/10

Tonight on 360°, we have the latest developments from Haiti. We have the remarkable story of a baby trapped for 62 hours, who is found alive. Plus, we're tracking the aid, a slow process. What's taking so long to help those in need?

Want to know more about our coverage plans? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Necolese Greene, RN

Hello, I am a Registered Nurse with 7 yrs ICU/CCU experience and I am willing to give up my American comforts and go to Haiti where my skills are desperately needed. I have already made a financial donation to the Red Cross, but these people need my skills more than my money. How can we together make this happen? My family is dependent on my income, but there must be some way around this.

January 15, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  2. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I am happy to hear about the baby found after 68 hours. See keep searching. Thank you and God!

January 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  3. jayoung

Can't we try to get kodak out there to donate resources to document the dead? Or Polaroid. I know that this isn't the most important thing in this time of crisis, but it's just heartbreaking to think of all of the families who will never know what happened to the bodies of their lost relatives and loved ones. I was stuck in New Orleans after Katrina and seeing what is going on in Haiti just breaks my heart and soul.

January 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  4. Stephanie

I can't believe the doctors had to evacuate and leave those patients there. This is where the US military needs to be present for security or the UN so the doctors can do what they are so desprately needed for! And as far as no food getting to the Hatians- those planes need to get up and go fly around and drop some packaged food to these unreachable places! I don't understand and i'm getting frustrated myself watching.

I am thankful for all of the miracles today, but there is so much that needs to get done, and so little time.

January 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  5. Isabel - Brazil.

@ Starr

I even think they have a leader, but the Haitian government still stunned before the disaster caused by the earthquake last Tuesday – and almost unable to operate, since most of its official facilities are collapsed

January 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  6. starr formerly known as vincent

@Monica Williams-Incredibly well spoken post! I share your concerns too.

Hearing the story of the Australian TV crew Was uplifting. The 18 mo baby did look good. Did not appear to have a mark on her. Let us hope that hunger and thirst do not take away her life in the coming days.

January 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  7. Emily

@Jo Ann,

"Mr. Celestino did what all heroes do, he put the life and welfare of someone else above his own."

And like all other heroes, was he ever humble in that interview w/Anderson. As if it was any other day of the week!

January 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  8. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

I have been very impressed with the dignified way these stories are being told.Everyone is so careful and respectful with their words.It is noticed and appreciated by me.

January 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  9. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Anderson, for this to be a 'preventable' death there would have to be another option. Are you implying there is a way to get aid there faster that isn't being used? The scope of this is still overwhelming for the support that has made it there. What would you have them do?

January 15, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  10. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Our crying hearts are prayers to God we are a good people but we are not God we can only try our best to help we can all pray for the lost soles to fined there ways to heaven may God bless those who bless others.

January 15, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  11. Saera El Paso, TX

@ Helen- i think life has to be cruel and unfair,
    or else how would we know what beauty is?
    like that rescue
    absolutely beautiful

January 15, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  12. Sam(antha), Boston MA

I'm a Senior in High School and I am helping to organize a raffle in order to raise money for the people of Haiti. I plan on doing as many things as I can in order to raise money to send to the people there. The images and stories I have seen and heard these last few days are horrific, and we are hoping to help in any way.

January 15, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  13. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All.This story of the tiny little 18 month old girl,is uplifting amongst all of the horror.She is lucky to family to care for her.I cannot stop watching the coverage.I don't know why.

January 15, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  14. Danielle - Los Angeles

This is the true measure of humanity, this man helping save a life of a stranger. They say a picture is worth a thousand words but all the images out of Haiti leave you speechless and all you can do is weep. This is a terrible tragedy on every level. The emotional trauma that the survivors must be going through is unimaginable.

January 15, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  15. Emily

Is he ever humble! 🙂

That was a great interview Anderson had with him.
    Good to see GREAT news in this.

January 15, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  16. Beth(Texas)

Anderson....
    I don't understand why the doctors and nurses are leaving!! Why can't there be more military presence....The frustration can be seen in Dr. Gupta's face.....patients should not be left behind.....

January 15, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  17. Eugenia - San Francisco

Remember Anderson, light heart and sound mind.

January 15, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  18. Sabrina in Los Angeles

There was a guy who survived 2 weeks in his car when it crashed in the forest...his body cannabalised the protein of his muscles and used it for food/water.

The heavier you are the more you have stored.

As long as it stays cool and they are not exerting themselves, it is possible to make it up to a week.

You have to keep hope and actively searching not recovering until that week is up.

January 15, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  19. Isabel - Brazil.

@ Anderson

You look tired and frustrated. You know your work makes with that we all aware of another's pain is and how great the needs of these people!

Thank you!

January 15, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  20. Romy Macias

Please Recommend Trustworthy Organizations

Anderson, could you please post a few reputable organizations where people can help – anyway, cash contributions or much needed supplies?

There are many of us who want to help but don't know where.

Thank you so much in advance. My prayers are with you, your team and all the people of Haiti,

Romy

January 15, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  21. Sheider

The little girl that has been saved, they must take her outside Haiti, from the suffering of having lost all her families.

January 15, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  22. Edward

God Bless America. A news crew found a baby girl alive.

January 15, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  23. peggysue

Anderson, I can hear a quiver in your voice tonight. I can see it in your eyes what you have seen and feel after seeing so much death. God Bless The Haitian People! I am having a real hard time watching this , Tears just stroll down my cheeks. I can't imagine how it is being there! Anderson,god bless you take care ! Great Reporting,as usual.

January 15, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  24. kim-chicago

Against the odds...that's for sure...amazing story!!

January 15, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  25. Ysidor

i finally heard from my sisters this morning since the earthquake. They are alive but are homeless and hungry. they are with a two year old and a five year old. Unfortunately aid has not reached them yet. they live in Thomassin 25. They have no transportation to get to where the food is located. it is about to rain and they are in a soccer field with no type of shelter that can block the rain. how can i get aid to them, please help me my mom is going crazy.

January 15, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  26. Saera El Paso, TX

lucky baby..
    good man.

January 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  27. Helen

Life is cruel and unfair!

January 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

January 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  29. Dianne

There is something terribly wrong with "logistics". There's been assets on the ground since Wednesday & it's now Friday. No biscuits? No water? ... for these traumatized people?

What is going on? It seems to me there's "politics" going on & these wretched people are the "pawns". What is it? A "contest" of "Who's in Charge"?

Let the UN lead the way in conjuction with the Sovereign Nation, HAITI & other countries can fall into place. Where's the RCMP? They have first-hand knowledge of security in Haiti, they've been in there for years training the Haitian Police Force.

What's the holdup?

By the way, I have throughly enjoyed Ivan Watson's reporting, he's refreshing in his approach to this catasrophe, very caring & empathetic. Bravo, excellent job, Ivan.

January 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  30. Ron

Anderson, good coverage, but why exactly are the doctors leaving? You mentioned security – are they fearful of losing their lives to violence? Or to losing supplies that would be stolen?

January 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  31. starr formerly known as vincent

@Isabel

"Where's the help", i agree and it is frustrating as heck that the operation appears to be so sluggish.

They need a leader! I know there are serious logistical problems, BUT, if there was one or two Leaders like Gen Honore in NOLA, things could very well be moving much better!

I know everyone is trying, but they really need a PLan that works!
    I know i feel so powerless and frustrated, i have to tune in and out as my anxiety and temper becomes too much to handle.

January 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  32. Vince

There will better days in Haiti because of the hope, faith and resilence of a people... in the depts of their sorry today they sang songs of hope in the streets, as their fellowmen die in streets...

...thanks for bringing us the last minutes of 11 year old Anaika's life. It gives us a small glimpse of what is happening all over Haiti tonight... people dying... and it's somebody's father, mother, son, daughter, sister and brother... help needs to come quicker>

January 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  33. Monica M. Williams

We all live in the yellow submarine.

I followed yesterday's story of the little girl with braids and glasses, Neele. She was the one drinking water and sometimes crying out as the men dug feverishly to free her trapped leg. At one point I remember them saying they might have to amputite it.

The segment ended last night on a happy note. The little girl was freed – with her leg.

I prayed for that little girl last night. For some reason her image remained with me. I wanted to reach through the TV, hold her hand. Comfort her; tell her it was going to be OK. I thought great she’s out. God, may someone please drive her to the hosiptal. Get her the help she needs. I broke down in tears this afternoon when I found out she died after arriving at the hospital. Her story. The baby in Dr. Gupta’s arms. It’s all too much.

The entire world is focusing on Haiti. In some odd way we have become a global community of compassinate people sending their love, prayers, money and resources to this tiny country. Now my pray is for none of it be in vain. May it reach all those in need, in time.

January 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  34. Isabel - Brazil.

It's so sad to see children suffering like this. They do not understand what is happening ... they are with a look so lost!

January 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  35. Emily

Aww! look at that little girl! an 18months old survivor! Yay!

Congrats to them! 🙂

January 15, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  36. biba from Senegal, Philadelphia

@ Sheider, exactly my point. Where is the police? haitian emergency workers? Where is the presdient? He should be at the scenes with the people of haiti. A little word from the government might bring hope reassurance.
    They need assistance with the burials!!! oh my God, this is horrible!
    @ Anderson Cooper, has the government reacted at all?

January 15, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    Right, I agree with you, That is so horrible to see many deaths on the strreet.... that is so bad news to see their family death....... YIKES! And I agree with all of bloggers said.

January 15, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  38. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I am sad to hear about the little 11 years old girl of dying of her juries. What they need to do is take that donation money and set a tent town ready to go hosipal with food and water, Now!

January 15, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  39. Sheider

That little girl that died did not deserved that, it must have been a way to save her. Where is the Help?

January 15, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  40. Christina from Canada

We can sense Mr. Cooper's frustration. I wonder does he know he is tapping exactly into the emotions we are all feeling. However nothing that we can feel can equal what the Haitians are experiencing.

January 15, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  41. Dodie

With 95 degree humid weather is terrible for bacteria. I am concerned about a wave of infection too. They need to prepare for that also

January 15, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  42. Terry, Toronto

That little girl did not deserve to die. This is heartbreaking. I cant stopping crying right now. These innocent people deserve help, right now and fast. I hope the world is watching.
    Thank you Anderson for keeping the world informed and for revealing the truth.

January 15, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  43. Jane - Vt

Good evening everyone. It is so sad that little girl died.

January 15, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  44. al hall

Anderson, I know it must be extreamly fustrating, that people in Haiti are not able to get the help they so despertly need, but remember it took days to help the people of New Orleans, to get food and water, and medical help, never mind a country with one runway and no port.

January 15, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  45. LindaH

Thank you, Anderson and your team for your great coverage of this tragedy. I truly don't understand why more aid has not reached these sad people. I hope we see the US military helping these people SOON! God Bless

January 15, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  46. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, everyone. Is there no way to establish security in the vicinity of the hospital Dr. Gupta is reporting from?

@Isabel, damage to ports and roads, the infrastructure, is a problem. I am hoping they can repair roads leading from the port into the city.

January 15, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  47. Danielle - Los Angeles

The roads need to be cleared. This is a Murphy's law situation – Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Haiti is the worst possible place in the world for something like this to happen. The infrastructure was virtually non-existent prior to the quake and what little infrastructure that did exist has been completely obliterated. At this point all we can do is pray that hope arrives to save some of the people that can still be saved and that the necessary supplies are delivered and that more casualties aren't created as a result.

January 15, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  48. Cynthia, NC

Hello, everyone. The circumstances in Haiti just become more tragic by the minute. It's heart-wrenching to read about as well as watch on TV. Anderson is right, there are too many stupid deaths.

January 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  49. Emily

It must be Very Frustrating seeing what Anderson is seeing...that they can see the help in the distance, yet not able to reach them yet....

...and for Dr.Gupta, to not be able to help in ways that he would like to w/no medical supplies, or pharmaceuticals, and hospitals!

I still have NOT heard of any pharmaceutical companies helping out!

January 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  50. Cathy White

Last night and again tonight I watched one of the world's most respected journalists state that what he is experiencing in Haiti is "stupid". Anderson Cooper is angry. And his anger is justified. I was 16 and living in Manilia, the Philippines, when I was trapped in a 6.0 earthquake in 1969. I was rescued by heroic Filipinos and a German man drove me home. But my anger persisted for days. Only a few thousand people died in that earthquake. As I watched the rescue efforts on TV, I could hear people trapped on the bottom floors of tall buildings crying out. Days later, they were dead. It just took too long to get to them. Anger is a normal reaction to chaos, to the inexplicable, and to horror. It can leave scars, such as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Stay strong, Anderson. And don't apologize for your anger. Cathy White, Newfoundland, Canada.

January 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm |