January 15th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/15/10

Tonight on 360°, we have the latest developments from Haiti. We have the remarkable story of a baby trapped for 62 hours, who is found alive. Plus, we're tracking the aid, a slow process. What's taking so long to help those in need?

Want to know more about our coverage plans? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Kathy, Andover

Where is our military to control mobs, so the doctors and nurses can stay and take care of their patients? And why isn't a helicopter being utilized for trauma transport?

January 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  2. Isabel - Brazil.

The look affectionate of Spanish firemen moved me a lot!

The smile of the boy when reviewing his mother is the kind of thing that make life worth living!

January 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Ivan's report about the sweet 11-year old girl who died after being rescued was so sad. A stupid and unnecessary death. Maybe her death will bring more attention to the terrible state of this country and its desperately poor people.

January 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  4. Mike

Hey Anderson,

Great reporting! It sounds like everyone (aid workers, etc...) are doing the best they know how to do. Sadly, doing the best they can do isn't saving enough lives. Certainly a cold, hard reality. Be safe.

January 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  5. Patricia S. Dumas

Hey Anderson..

I love your passion at the "stupid deaths" you speak of and the needless loss of life that surrounds you.
    I see roving reporters come upon injured people who have no medical help or aid.. I ask this... can't the roving reporters (wherever they go) bring a doctor and medicine with them?? Bring them on the plane with you..at least there will be a doctor when you guys roam out to find your story.. keep up the great work, Anderson..

January 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  6. Katie

How are the people outside of the capitol being helped and searched for? There are hundreds of American citizens living in the area of Bel Vil miles from the city, have they been accounted for. One of them happens to be my mother.

January 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  7. Christina from Canada

Put the food and water on strong men's backs and then surround them with military presence and get that aid to where it is needed.

January 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  8. Sabrina in Los Angeles

The longer the time is from when the tragedy accurred until the treatments occur, then the crowds will become more brutal as the shock of it wears off.

Aid is coming but to the people it is not fast enough, that is why they will become a mob/violent.

Stay safe.

January 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  9. Dodie

Megan... they need to medi-vac these people to that hospital, and hospitals in surrounding islands. This island is a stones throw from Cuba and Jamaica

January 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  10. Terry

That little girl did not deserve to die. This is heartbreaking. I cant stopping crying right now. These innocent people deserve help, right now and fast. I hope the world is watching.

January 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  11. Jacky

I've been saying this since the quake started. Evacuate!!! Find ways to clear roads and head north where the people can eat and find medical help. It's so frustrating.

January 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  12. Jennifer - AZ

Evening everyone

This is so sad. Glad Anderson, Sanjay and all are there for them.

January 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  13. June Jorgenen

This is an unbelievable tragedy....The people dying do not need to have this happen.......It makes me want to cry and not stop...I recently was in Punta Cana in Dom Rep. I am so thankful for you Anderson for you incredible journalism skills....You stay on a story and give us the sometime unimaginable truth,,...Please stay and dont let thisstory go away...I keep giving donations to the Red Cross and Unicef...I would love to come and help....trying to find out how I can get there and feel safe....thanks again Anderson you are the best and I will continue to pray for these people...

January 15, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  14. Isabel - Brazil.

Despite intense international mobilization for humanitarian aid – in the form of rescue teams, equipment, supplies and money – it isn't for the vast majority of Haitians.

I read that the planes of various countries can not reach

January 15, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  15. Lisa L

Dear Anderson,

You have achieved a lot through your show, especially showing the different ways support is and can be brought to the people affected by the earthquake.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Weekend Edition, 16-17 January 2010 at 13 wrote:
    “*$288.4 million in aid pledged from around the world so far
    * 30 countries [Australia included] have pledged or already sent help”

I am praying you and your team come back safely soon.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

January 15, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  16. michael armstrong sr. TX.

America needs to fly our great flag at half staff for our friends in Haiti to show our respects for the death of our friends that we only recently have noticed .

January 15, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  17. Isabel - Brazil.

Among so many images so sad, the rescue the boy Redjeson Hausteen Claude, by the fireman Spanish, followed by his encounter with the mother, it was very exciting!

January 15, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Edward

Just heard on T.V. that more people are going to die tonight because of the treatments that the people didn't get it on time. That is just so heart breaking to hear on T.V. that people are going to lose their life.

January 15, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I agree all of you, that is so sad for her. she died...... very breaking heart.

January 15, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  20. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

So who is making the doctors go? What is the security threat?

January 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Janet

Why can the reporters get through to the people in need, but the relief workers cannot? Seems like we should enlist the help of the media. What takes our armed forces so long?

January 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Sheider

Why there is no Government moving in Haiti. Where is the President???

January 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. So sad, especially for the little children. So heartbroken about the little girl. I am worried for the news people there. They are doing such a wonderful job but you can just tell that as each day passes it is taking a great toll on them. I hope everyone gets good emotional support when they return, maybe some critical incident stress debriefing counseling. I know I would need it. It would be a life altering experience for sure.

January 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Emily

@Bloggers,
    Lots of "stupids" deaths, and death all over the place.
    I wonder how the CNN Teams are doing this?!

The reporting has been great, but it must be taking a toll on all of them!

January 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  25. stacia

It is unexcuable that the food and water is not with the victims at this point,

January 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Dodie.
    The ship is now the way to Haiti.. they are going to help these victim to treat them. Yes, They are (World involved) already arrived there now.

January 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  27. ssue

Heartbroken...

January 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Dodie

@ Mike

I understand, they could have freed her hours ago if only they had a saw! talk about tragic!

January 15, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Sabrina in Los Angeles

If the injuries are really bad then there is not a lot that can be done for them because they can't get the right care fast enough.

Very sad.

And yes they are stupid deaths. Deaths that we have the ability to fix but not the time or supplies.

January 15, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Christina from Canada

Stupid deaths. It is not eloquent but it is so correct.

Why is the military not surrounding these hospitals to keep peace?

January 15, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Emily

Is the 'Help' & Aid being able to get into the different places?

Only one landing strip, roads all destroyed, near docks, etc.

January 15, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Danielle - Los Angeles

CNN hands down has the most compassionate reporters of any network. The human suffering that is going on in Haiti is unbelievable. Watching the reports sends you through a gauntlet of emotions, your excited when someone is rescued and your heart breaks when you hear stories about people that pass away.

Anderson,
    you and the entire CNN team are doing an excellent job. I don't know how you do what you do under these conditions but it makes the tragedy real to us here in the states.

January 15, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  33. starr formerly known as vincent

Hello Anderson, & Entire team of 360 reporters. Hello Team 360 in the newsroom.

Hello fellow bloggers & friends.

I am heartbroken about the little girl who died after such a wonderful rescue yesterday!
    You are absolutely right Anderson, Stupid, stupid death.

January 15, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Isabel - Brazil.

@ Anderson

In recent days we have seen only stupid deaths!

January 15, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Morency

Hello everyone!

January 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  36. Kathy Chicago

AC, you sounded tired and frustrated on LK. Govt's are quick to promise and usually slow to deliver. As every moment counts I will pray for those in Haiti.

January 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi. It's been a terrible week seeing what is happening in Haiti. I don't think things can improve quickly enough. Your reporting is exceptional, though, and very much appreciated.

January 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Given the poor little girl food and water while she probably had internal injuries may have made matters worse.

January 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Valery Renaud

I am an Haitian-American from Pembroke Pines, FL and I would like to take this opportunity to thank CNN and its team of reporters for their hard work on behalf of all Haitians. You will never know how much your honest reporting and countless stories have touched me. We, Haitians, are extremely resilient. Indeed, this is our cross that we have to carry and this is our 'Holocaust." This is the last thing I would expect – an earthquake.

Again, I thank you from the bottom of my heart on behalf of all Haitians. CNN is the only channel that I have watched, is watching and will continue to watch. Keep up the good work and you are number one in my eyes.

Cordially,

Valery

January 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Dodie

What is holding up the help? Where are the ships? Medical staff, supplies, food, water? I understand, almost the entire world is helping. I understand ships from China and Northern Europe will take time, how about Gitmo bay?

January 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Emily

That 11 year old girl died, after being freed. That is heartbreaking!

This is SO SAD!

Very emotional here as being told by Ivan.

To think that just because they don't have the hospitals and Rx's meds!

January 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Susan . Stratford, NJ

I am so anxious for news of friends in Delmas 24, any word when that area will be accessed?

January 15, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Ankin was so cute I have seen..... That's so horrible breaking heart to see this girl...... It is very hard to hear this. 🙁

January 15, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Isabel - Brazil.

Where's the help?

The limited infrastructure of Haiti, even more precarious after the earthquake, is the main obstacle to the aid reaches the needy.

January 15, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Danielle - Los Angeles

Hello everyone. The pictures and reports that continue to come out of Haiti are becoming more and more heartbreaking.

January 15, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Emily

Good night Anderson & all the CNN Crew in Haiti!
    Also, Megan, Martina, & Bloggers!

What an emotional week this has been.

January 15, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Dodie

Good Evening Anderson, AC 360 staff, cnn and bloggers

January 15, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Jessica Y, Ed Henry, David Gergen Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Thank God It's Friday night!!! Couldn't wait this weekend....
    I am shocked 11 yrs girl died last night after she freed........ My heart goes to her uncle.
    Thanks for coming in!!!!!!!

January 15, 2010 at 10:01 pm |