January 15th, 2010

Evening Buzz: Saving Haiti

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cnn.net/cnn/interactive/2010/01/world/gallery.haiti.quake/images/hrzgal.fort.national.gi.jpg]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Amid the horror and suffering in Haiti, there are amazing stories of survival. Tonight on 360°, live from Port-au-Prince, Anderson will bring you the story of a baby girl found alive in the rubble of her home. She had be trapped for 68 hours with no food or water.

Speaking of living without basic needs, we're tracking the relief effort. Some aid has finally arrived in Haiti, but getting it to those in need is not an easy task. We'll show you what's going on.

Today the U.S. military was asked why it wasn't the first on the ground with supplies. We're keeping them honest.

The USS Carl Vinson arrived off the coast today, carrying 51 hospital beds, three operating rooms and 19 much-needed helicopters. The Carl Vinson can also purify water, thousands of gallons of water per day.

Other U.S. military personnel is already in Haiti and more is on the way.

Help can't come soon enough. Many people in Haiti are losing patience. There were reports of sporadic rioting today.

Despite the tension, despite the deaths, there was also a touching moment of solidarity today. Hundreds of people, mostly women, took to the streets of Port-au-Prince, singing and chanting as they marched around the capital.

Here are some of today's other developments:

- An 11-year-old girl rescued from the rubble of her home Thursday in an
hours-long effort has died, her family said Friday.

- At least 6 American deaths have been reported in Haiti

- There is still no confirmed death toll from the earthquake. Haiti's
prime minister has said that several hundred thousand people may have been
killed, and the Haitian consul general to the United Nations has estimated the
toll could top 100,000

- At least 100 bodies were discovered by a CNN crew in one open pit
outside Port-au-Prince, along with several other pits half filled or completely
covered over with earth, presumably full.

- A few fire trucks and tankers were seen distributing water Friday
afternoon.

- The U.S. Postal Service is holding mail destined for Haiti, a
spokeswoman said.

Join for these developments and much more starting at 10 p.m. ET.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Tashi Sherpa

Thougthful prayers and practical solutions are two things that are most needed at the moment. We need to find a way to help people rebuild their spirit and hope before anything can truly move forward. Need to fill airwaves in Haiti with message of love and unity by using a person that is respected and loved in Haitian community. Even president Obama speaking in the native language to pass on the message for example could be a huge spiritual boost for the people suffering over there. Use of loud speakers in the UN trucks to spread the messages from example "Pierre Aristide, a 77 year old illiterate man in Haiti, ..... Haiti's most widely respected humanist and democrat" from google search.

January 18, 2010 at 1:01 am |
  2. joan

I get so mad every time I see a shot of that beautiful big empty lawn in front of the destroyed government Palace....To me it is a vivid symbol of what is wrong with the Haitian government in relation to the Haitain people!

Why can't they put a bunch of MASH type hospital units in there and a helicopter landing pad? It would not be difficult to secure the Palace itself against looting, danger of falling building parts, etc. If the many volunteer doctors could all be located there, they would be protected, they could work with each other sharing materials, medicines and expertise.

Keep up the good work! Please ask the right people the hard questions

January 17, 2010 at 8:43 pm |
  3. Elvira lamartiniere

God bless all the staff from CNN. Anderson Cooper,Dr.Sanjay Gupta you guys are doing an amazing job in Haiti.I wish you all to be safe.
    May God bless all of you.

January 17, 2010 at 4:37 pm |
  4. Bobbie Chaney

I have been watching your program and cannot refrain to add my comments on helping Haiti. I have been off work for 3 years but managed to give up some things for myself for the Haiti people that are in need. I have given 100 dollars. This is my plea. I have seen where some sports organizations have donated and a few sport individuals but what about the individuals that are paid millions of dollars a year can they not find it in their hearts to give? Can they not feel the compassion and the appreciation of all they have because of that money and reach in their pockets and give generously to people that are in such dyer need? Same applies to politicians and private civilians that make over 6 digits. Even with our own recession to dig out of ...we still have people with jobs that should know that by giving to others in need...the act of giving will be reflected and paid back in full in their life and in their spiritual life. To all that have already given God Bless You.

January 17, 2010 at 10:18 am |
  5. Denise Barlow

My heart broke when I heard the news about the 11 year old girl passing away. How horrible! What is going through the minds of those doctors who left, leaving many people in desparate need of medical attention? Dr. Gupta, you are on my list on true heros. The military needs to get off their lazy behinds and start organizing relief efforts so the people of Haiti can start looking toward closer. It's time to work at putting things right.

January 16, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
  6. sugarbowl17

Anderson cooper God bless you and all the staff at cnn. You guys are truly God fearing people. America should help the poor with all our resources and money. God bless the people in haiti. May God bring peace to them soon!

January 16, 2010 at 10:11 am |
  7. ronvan

Alot of truth and questions to be answered in these comments. It is hard for me to understand all of the problems and what appears to be a lack of motivation to get things going! With the government in ruins I would immediately declare "a state of emergency", put UN troops & others like the 82nd in charge of security with orders to "shoot on the spot" those that are looting or making money out of this tragedy. Area's could be cleared and mobile hospitals set up, water purification points, tents for those that are homeless, and porta potties set up everywhere. This is not going to be a quick, short term thing but it can be done.

January 16, 2010 at 8:49 am |
  8. sonia

i am shocked at how many people can mention god in their comments. My heart is with these poor people, what devaststion to have to cope with. I hope the aid gets there soon before it's too late for thousands of people

January 16, 2010 at 5:37 am |
  9. molly mitha

hi anderson,
    once again congratulation,you're doing a very very good job in haiti,to my brother's and sister's,may god keep blessing and protecting you for everlasting

i understand people are desesperate,and may say things ,they should not,but ,i'm only asking you to be patient,cause they're going through a very hard and awful situation
    but what i'm sure about is with god at front and you're all working togetter with them,things will getting much better slowly,slowly

god forgive us,and keep protecting us

January 16, 2010 at 5:01 am |
  10. Laura

Once again – impressed by Anderson's intergrity both as a humanitarian and as a reporter. Curious to know why aren't basic needs like water and food being dropped to the people from helicopters if it so difficult to penetrate the town and the crowds?

January 16, 2010 at 4:04 am |
  11. Joanaroo

Thank you Anderson and all for great reporting and to Dr. Gupta for staying with those poor 25 patients! I can't sleep because I am so angry thinking about that bunch of "doctors without balls" (no offense to Doctors Without Borders!) that heartlessly abandoned the helpless! That's as bad as the bunch of doctors shown on camera arriving dressed for the country club and taking a group picture as if on vacation!

January 16, 2010 at 3:57 am |
  12. A. Smith, Oregon

Shaul Schwarz, a photographer for TIME magazine, said he saw at least two downtown roadblocks in Port au Prince, Haiti formed with the bodies of earthquake victims and rocks. "They are starting to block the roads with bodies, it's getting ugly out there, people are fed up with getting no help,".

January 16, 2010 at 3:24 am |
  13. Kurt

You guys are all doing amazing coverage. It's heartbreaking to see. Part of me wishes I could be there, doing something useful besides just texting money donations...

Anyway, all of you at CNN, please be careful down there.

January 16, 2010 at 3:23 am |
  14. Michael Howard

Why haven't they built a quick temporary landing strip/site to handle all the extra planes coming into Haiti?? Or even just transport the survivors to the airport, where all the suppiles/food are now??

January 16, 2010 at 3:00 am |
  15. Steve Bennett

I fully support Lt. Gen. Honore's comments re not allowing security to make pivitol decisions: I experienced this same mistake first hand in New Orleans as one of the first volunteer responders for the American Red Cross: the situation at the Super Dome was intolerable, and I personally tried to get truckloads of supplies delivered there while the live news feeds showed the desperation of the people there... we were stopped by military and local law enforcement citing these same "security reasons", yet could not explain themselfs afterward when confronted with the fact that the intolerable delay's clearly intensified the situation further.
    First responce has to be immediate and swift; security is but one of many layers of concerns to conside when making life threatning situations... First Responders know full well they are putting themselves in danger; yet make this decision readily daily to aid humanity.
    The latest report of Hillary Clinton flying into Haitie is infuriating as well: this is not a photo opportunity for politicians to take advantage of, and their presence at this time will surly hinder, not help the situation there... didn't anybody learn from President Busch's mistake in LA?
    My love and prayers are with all victims of this disaster...
    Steve Bennett,
    Search and Rescue EMT,
    Santa Barbara, CA USA

January 16, 2010 at 2:58 am |
  16. ozias

What good is the military if they can't protect the doctors and reporters. they should have remained home. Such a total mess. You have the means to get the food and meds. to the people and for 3 days you are sitting on your hands. As always there will be millions spent to study why this went so wrong. Get some 12 year old kid to solve the problems. They could do much better.

January 16, 2010 at 2:21 am |
  17. Jeanni

About the 11 yr. old girl who died shortly after being rescued, my heart aches for her family. It was a tragedy and probably she'd still be alive if rescued more quickly. However, I learned from watching news on the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake in Northern Calif. that many people who survived days after being crushed fallen buildings and such, may die soon after they are removed no matter what kind of medical treatment they receive. It is called the 'crush syndrome'. Again, all of the deaths and losses are so tragic, but not all of them could have been saved by better medical help. Sometimes it's just not possible to save them. However, prompt response with rescues, medical relief, food, water, etc. are so urgently needed. Right now Sajay Gupta is my hero.

January 16, 2010 at 1:31 am |
  18. CMAN

Anderson.... CNN
    I praise Anderson Cooper for his dedication, professionalism and outstanding reporting as a journalist. In tonight's broadcast of this horrific tragedy in Haiti I watched his controlled emotion surface regarding the ""Senseless Parish of LIves"" arising from the incompetent and truly ""Bafoon"" handling of aid and promises to a people in catastrophic need. If a great dedicated journalist can travel the globe and reach this story hands on in 48 hours, we as a powerful educated people know there is no excuse of logistics or security keeping help from reaching these people sooner. While we are building up our ""Hollywood Style Grand Blitz March In"" and fall all over ourselves as usual, doctors are in anguish, rescuers are exhausted and children are dieing. The last thing these people need is a political figure parading down the streets in glamour for heavens sake.
    We've seen enough of constant "" If it bleeds it leads coverage"" where is the true journalism from someone following the idiots that are getting the aid moving and not taking excuses for an answer !!!

January 16, 2010 at 1:25 am |
  19. SJ

Dr. Mize, I so agree with you on the human chains and for the life of me why helicopter are not dropping food and supplies down to places.

January 16, 2010 at 1:25 am |
  20. SJ

Anderson, Dr. Gupta, I am confused as to what is going in. All these videos seem to be showing the UN Peacekeepers being of hinderance and not helping. They made the doctors leave but what about guarding them, I know there are not enough foe everywhere, but honestly even if there is violence what are they going to do to people in hospitals needing help. I can see violence for food and even someone wanting help but not enough to hold up the entire hospital. So not one doc could have stayed, not ONE???? Also earlier the UN took off on a truck cause there was some unruliness over food??? The reporter was reporting right in the midst of the yelling and he was not even pushed to the ground and was able to report it live, and then the truck pulled off leaving the reporter there while people chased the truck. They seem more concerned with rescuing people in high end hotels and UN offices than the people of Haiti. We have seen video of Americans leaving and even people flown to miami for medical care but an 11 year old died after being freed from the rubble??? Right Now with all the donations coming all I am seeing Haitians rescuing Haitians, not the rest of the world that keep talks about helping Haiti.

January 16, 2010 at 1:21 am |
  21. Patty

Anderson...I too have been glued to CNN! I just hope that you and Dr.
    Sanjay Gupta are ok...your reporting is excellent, the chaos is just that.
    I think the U.N. has got to get their priorities straight....I wish you all to
    be safe. Take care of one another! You guys are doing a great job!
    Chris Lawrence too.

January 16, 2010 at 1:15 am |
  22. Lesli Wiita

What happened to the "Hypocratic Oath". As a registered nurse, who wishes she was there to help, I am appauld that MD's and RN's would walk away from the injured and those in critical need. Hang in the Dr. Gupta! You are an angel! God Bless you! I hope and pray that I can find my way to Haiti to help.

January 16, 2010 at 12:58 am |
  23. Judy

I don't understand how the movie stars and famous people like former basket ball stars can get to Haiti but not medical supplies; maybe they should give up their seats to boxes of medical supplies.

January 16, 2010 at 12:31 am |
  24. Ellie Sternquist

Hearing your impatience and frustration about help getting through and getting organized. Your reporting is leadership in real time. Stay strong!

January 16, 2010 at 12:22 am |
  25. jeanine

here's an idea:
    hundreds of yachts in the south FL area should anchor out in the harbor in haiti, convert salt water to fresh water with their water makers, and fill some drums with water. they can load these into trucks or coordinate with military helicopters to get the water to the people. just 1 boat can make 1800 gallons of water or more a day. at the very least, these yachts can be loaded with thousands of pounds of supplies. there's no need for dockage. i've worked on yachts, and i know that the possibilities are endless. it's just a matter of getting these millionares/billionares to step up.

January 16, 2010 at 12:04 am |
  26. Dawn Weeks

Drop flyers asap in english, french explaining they must not mob the aid trucks or they will be forced to leave for their own safety and that the food is not outdated and that more will be coming. It broke my heart that people did not get the food they could of had because they were being told it was outdated. Use different colored flyers to spread different messages as the situation improves. The ships sitting off coast should be able to handle this easily. God Bless everyone for trying their best.

January 15, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  27. Maria H-Miami

I'm sorry but to me everything our government is doing seems very disorganized and running late. All day while I work I've been watching CNN and I only see Dr. Gupta help the victims and quickly move around the town and I only see the Miami & Spain Search and Rescue teams and the church missionaries. I am heart broken, furious and cried my eyes out that the 11 year old girl I had watched trapped has died and she did not get medical care. Where were the military medical teams? Why isn't our military out about the town distributing water/food/temporary shelter/giving medical care? Why aren' our military providing doctors with security so they can stay and help the people?, It's inconceivable that the doctors are having to abandon the tent hospital due to danger. Why aren't our military securing the towns, protecting the people? Why don't our military take food/water/diapers to the kids at the Orphanage run by the two sisters? Dr. Gupta should be awarded a Nobel Peace Price for all that he does regardless of danger, conditions. Thank you Dr. Gupta.

January 15, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  28. Dawn Weeks

Army corp of engineers need to get water going every few blocks. Even if it is outddoor hose,fire hydrant,ect... pick up trucks can be used to pass out food and then return to staging area with those in need of medical care.to be transfered to medical facility. People are walking the streets totally clueless at this point because they don't know WHERE to go to get help. Use bull horns to direct the ones that can still walk to parks ,stadiums and any big places still standing. Use helos for air drops of food packets like we did in Afganistan. We must work fast to minimize losing the ones that are still alive.

January 15, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  29. Elizabeth in Michigan

Are there U.S. agencies working with relief services to rescue the newly orphaned Haitian children? I keep hearing the diocese in Miami is considering reinstating Operation Pedro Pan but I cannot find much information about the current plan.

Please alert us when decisions are made about the future of these children. They are going to need a lifetime of care and many of us would warmly welcome them into our families.

January 15, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  30. Haiti help

I found it amazing to see that people from various religous organsations were happy to be home who had been in Haiti who were supposed to be there for support. So what we take from this is that the earthquake happened, these people ran to the airport and got home. Instead of helping out down there and doing what they could. I am shocked that by this.

January 15, 2010 at 11:21 pm |
  31. Gerard

Bankers!! Those of you who got bonuses, those of you who benefitted from the bailout, contribute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make up for the greed and mistakes, redeem yourselves!!!!

Help Haiti!!!!!!

January 15, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  32. Carolyn Scott, Fort Hood

Anderson, stay strong. Make alot of noise, maybe they will move faster and provide aid.

January 15, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  33. Jeff Seidler

As I watch CNN and understand the chaos in Haiti the decision to evacuate the doctors from the hospital tents where Dr. Gupta has been reporting from has to be the most in humane thing I have ever seen.As Ret. General Honore has said that this has to be fixed. There is close to 10,000 military troops from across the world, it seems the most humanitary decision would have been to bring the security to the hospital tents to secure that area. GOD BLESS YOU DR. GUPTA.

January 15, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  34. dennis

General Honore said it best. Get some sense to this madness and do what is needed first. Security will come once you establish order. The US has decided to take a back seat as usual. It is better to wage war and plan death. then it is to wage human salvation and plan survivals future. The government of Haiti isnt educated enough to resolve this dilemma. The world needs to take over and establish the plan and implement its outcome.

January 15, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  35. Gerard

Hi Anderson

Stayed up to watch your reporting, 4am here in Cork City, Ireland. Thank you for your courageous insights, can't believe the Dr. Gupta situation, humiliating for the UN. I am hoping your reports will raise further awareness and much needed donations. The section on Haitian orphans was heart breaking, I hope CNN stays with this story for the coming weeks and that the focus stays on the Haitian people.

The response of an often divided world is heartening and shows that conflict and aggression are not our only characteristics, for once human compassion and love have come to the fore on the the media networks reaffirming my belief that humans are essentially good (the great struggle). I only wish I was a doctor so I could go out and render some service, so frustrating watching the images.

I wish you the best and all the team the very best, stay safe my man.

Gerard