January 13th, 2010

Video: Haitian capital 'shocking'

Anderson Cooper | BIO
AC360° Anchor

Filed under: Anderson Cooper • Haiti Earthquake
  1. David Nelson

The devastation in Port-au-Prince is in such contrast to the situation in early December when my wife Dr. Susan Nelson, my daughter Sienna (17) and my oldest son Adam (24) went with a 15 person team to St. Vincent's School for Handicapped Children (105 Rue Paul VI) on a medical mission trip. They saw 200 people in four days and they came back so happy and optimistic about their work and the future. They seemed to have done so much good on this third mission trip to the school. They wrote their stories in a blog (http://wtnhaitipartnership.blogspot.com/). On their trip a child was abandoned by her mother at the school. The child was baptized and named Marguerite St. Vincent for the school and the founder of the school Sister Joan Margaret. My wife wrote this story in the blog (Unto us a child is given). Today we heard that the school is destroyed and we are in shock over the fate of all the children that lived there (about 150 residential and another 150 dayschoolers).

January 13, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  2. David Nelson

The devastation in Port-au-Prince is in such contrast to the situation in early December when my wife Dr. Susan Nelson, my daughter Sienna (17) and my oldest son (24) went with a 15 person team to St. Vincent's School for Handicapped Children (105 Rue Paul VI) on a medical mission trip. They saw 200 people in four days and they came back so happy and optimistic about their work and the future. They seemed to have done so much good on this third mission trip to the school. They wrote their stories in a blog (http://wtnhaitipartnership.blogspot.com/). On their trip a child was abandoned by her mother at the school. The child was baptized and named Marguerite St. Vincent for the school and the founder of the school Sister Joan Margaret. My wife wrote this story in the blog (Unto us a child is given). Today we heard that the school is destroyed and we are in shock over the fate of all the children that lived there (about 150 residential and another 150 dayschoolers).

January 13, 2010 at 6:08 pm |
  3. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Great report! I'm waiting AC360 today!

January 13, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  4. S Callahan

Anderson you are doing God's work telling this story...our prayers are with you and those in Haiti. What is is we can do best from America? (how can we help besides our prayers alone?)

January 13, 2010 at 4:38 pm |
  5. rosalind plaza

my toughts and prays go out to the people of haiti my best friend is form haiti bit she lives in florida and she could not reach her family she is wating too see if she can get a call to them their

January 13, 2010 at 3:16 pm |
  6. Johnny Dona "AgentJ"

Dear Mr. Anderson Thank you so very much for your report in Haiti... I can tell how you feel for Haitian people by the your voice was with care and love for "The People" who been crying for the past 200 plus years where the world for sometime have been ignore...And also I would to let The World Know That CNN Was The First who report for about anything that happen in Haiti my prayer the staff and the people in Haiti.

January 13, 2010 at 3:06 pm |
  7. Youvela

Check On Leogane Haiti please

January 13, 2010 at 3:00 pm |
  8. Skip Richstatter

A.C., Other than money, what can U.S. citizens do to help?

January 13, 2010 at 2:55 pm |
  9. Paulo Almeida

i've been deep emotion with this tragedy. I pray for our brothers in Haiti. God bless us!

January 13, 2010 at 2:55 pm |
  10. Adrian Lee

Is there anyway that a cruise ship or hospital ship can be dispatched to Haiti to assist in the rescue efforts?

January 13, 2010 at 2:51 pm |
  11. doogz

omg my dad is dowm there in jacmel but i cant get a hold of him he has a cellphone down there but there is no comunication i hope his alright omg

January 13, 2010 at 2:45 pm |
  12. ADAM LESTER ELLIOTT

I KEEP THE HAITIAN AND HAITIAN AMERICANS IN MY HEARTS AND PRAYERS CNN!

January 13, 2010 at 2:37 pm |
  13. stephanie tallent

wish i were there. u r an incredible person. in fact top choice of people i would most like to talk to. kiring ass being completed, where the hell is ur camera crew?

January 13, 2010 at 2:33 pm |
  14. Melissa K.

Mid-air near miss?! The US Coast Guard Cutter should have sufficient radar resources to help coordinate air traffic! Contact them.

January 13, 2010 at 2:27 pm |
  15. Ernesto A Pretto, Jr. MD

Anderson:

Please call for immediate action by asking the Department of Defense to authorize the dispatch of both our Hospital Ships to Haiti ASAP, fully staffed and equipped, they are the USS Mercy and the USS Comfort. They must set sail right away. The situation in Haiti is dire with minimal medical care capability due not only to the collapse of most major hospitals but also because of lack of electricity, gas, food, medical personnel, etc.

E. Pretto, Jr., MD
    Miami, Florida

January 13, 2010 at 2:26 pm |
  16. Chantal

My Family is from Haiti. I am so sad and devastated for the country. My heart is breaking. I send all my love and prayers to every Haitian in the world.

January 13, 2010 at 2:24 pm |
  17. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

Anderson, I see on CNN that the cargo supply planes are finally landing at the airport in Haiti.

Would you tell us what kind of security will accompany those planes so they don't get looted, the people don't take the goods and try to sell them, etc. etc.

How do we know those supplies will be properly distributed?

January 13, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  18. Cindy

Great report!! Looking forward to many more from Cooper!

It is really sad to hear of and see such devastation. You just have to wonder how these people can get through another catastrophe. They must be totally wasted from these things!

I hope that help for them arrives very soon.

Cindy..Ga.