January 12th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/12/10

We have breaking developments on the earthquake in Haiti. The U.S. State Department has been told to expect a "huge loss of life." Witness in the Haitian capital have reported heavy damage and dead bodies in the streets.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

We

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Michaela Henry

If the CNN show is still in contact with Ian Rodgers with Save the Children, I'd like to ask him if my husband, Mike Henry is with him. Mike works with Cross International out of FL and they share office space with Save the Children. Mike arrived in Haiti today and was in the office just after the earthquake struck. Please contact.

January 12, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  2. Olestine

When do you think we'll be able to get in touch with our families? I'm so worried. Whether you're Haitian or not, these are real human beings just like you. Please help them.

January 12, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  3. collin

is there anyone in need of translators? i know a network of haitian-creole speakers ready to volunteer.

January 12, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  4. Benet Immokalee,FL

I too have family in Carrefour and seem to have not heard a word from them at all My Prayers go out to all of the families Here in the U.S and Haiti

January 12, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  5. cherly

My boyfriend attend the university adventiste D'haiti does anyone know how the school is I'm scare to death.

January 12, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  6. Georges

Does anyone have an update on Bolosse or Delmas

January 12, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  7. Dawn S

We are adopting a 9 year old girl and 8 year old boy (siblings) from Haiti. They are currently at an orphanage in Port-au-Prince. No one on the news is mentioning anything about adoptive parents and kids, perhaps not realizing that there are tons of kids already matched with families and we all wait and wait (and WAIT) for them to come home. We hear that they believe all the kids are ok, but are eager to hear more definitive information! Thanks.

January 12, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  8. Aldred

The shake from the Earth Quake in Haiti was felt in Inagua the most southern island in the Bahamas. We must all pray for the people of Haiti and help them in any way we could.

January 12, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  9. mark

from santo domingo, i live on the 8th floor and felt strong swaying from the quake. my pictures were rattling and the building was swaying. metro is closed and there is minor damage and flooding around the city

January 12, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  10. Cheryl

Anderson,
    I was in Haiti a number of yearsago on business, stayed at the Montana and the only common public transportation presence at that time were the "Top Tops", the little busses that are overflowing with locals. It is hard for most of us to understand the acutely limited (nonexistant) infrastructure they will be attempting to work with, not to mention the ongoing conditions of extreme poverty, hunger and need for clean water. My heart goes out to all the kind and gentle people I had the privilege to experience.

January 12, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  11. Hilde Van Durme, DR

I talked to a lot of people across the DR. What stroke me is that the earth quake seemed to be felt the worst in Santiago.

January 12, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  12. Wayne R.

Really worried as I have been watching CNN and other networks such as RDI in Canada (French) which have indicated that the epicentre was around Carrefour, where I have friends and other people I know work and live in this area. I am very worried for their safety and hoping and praying they are ok. The Hotel called Auberge du Quebec is located in Carrefour, I am afraid it may have been hit hard by this earthquake.

January 12, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  13. Emily

24 After shocks?!

Twenty Four After shocks? ....this sounds really bad...I hope that the majority of the people are going to be okay even if the buildings are collapsing! I hope the people are NOT!

January 12, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  14. Militza Reyes

My prayers are with the people of Haiti.
    We have to be grateful that no tsunami has ocurred near Haiti, Cuba, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico where i live.
    God be with them.

January 12, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Patricia from Colorado,
    35 seconds struck earthquake.

January 12, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  16. Emily

@Devna AC360°,

thanks for the update on the CNN news crews, and Anderson...I hope that they are all going to be safe over there tomorrow!

It should be something to see first hand; or second hand in my case 🙂
    ...but I hope that Anderson is not going into a dangerous situation there!
    Didn't sound good from what Chad was saying...

January 12, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  17. michael armstrong sr. TX.

What are the chances of this waking up a dormant volcano.

January 12, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  18. C. Gates

Mr. Cooper, I heard you say you were on your way to Haiti. Please stay safe. The roads will be dangeous. I am worried that someone will get hurt. My prayers are with you and your crew.

January 12, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  19. Scott Curti

i just found out about all of this, soo sad... i have a friend in DR who felt it which also did some minor damage.

January 12, 2010 at 11:34 pm |
  20. PhillipM

My girlfriend is a teacher at the Quisqueya Christian school in Port Au Prince. She said that her and a the friends she has nearby are safe and are sleeping in the soccer fields of the school (very smart idea). They walked through the city to check on their houses and saw the city in shambles. It doesn't look good for a lot of her area. Many many prayers are with the citizens of Haiti.

January 12, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  21. carolyn bennett

in bahamas/ trying to assist

January 12, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  22. Joya

We just received news that Dr Ghislaine Graham died in the hosptial that collasped in Haiti. She leaves behind 6 children, we are devistated to say the least.

January 12, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  23. jennifer devesa

Friends relative there staying at the Hotel Montana. Please, if there is any information on a Danny Rodriguez, we would appreciate any news.

January 12, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  24. Todd Forrester

Hello everyone my girlfriend is from Haiti and has family in Port-au-Prince and she is unable to contact them to see if anyone is ok we are watching the news to get as much information as possible among the family is her mother. If anyone has any new info please let us know. Thanks.

January 12, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  25. Patricia from Colorado

How long did the quake last?? That is just as important as 7.0 & no one ever says!!!!!!!!!!

January 12, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  26. Judy

My brother Glen Joseph PhD from Fl was in Port au prince doing missionary work. He was due to return tomorrow. We have not heard from him since this earthquake.I pray that he and other are safe. Any news from anyone would be welcomed.

January 12, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  27. Hilde Van Durme, DR

I recently sat down with a Dominican friend who is a fireman in Santo Domingo and we were talking about training together with our dogs and helping in building on a team for Search and Rescue in case of a disaster. I pray the rescue teams will get there as soon as possible.

January 12, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
  28. Devna AC360°

It is unclear whether or not aid workers will be able to travel to Haiti. CNN crews are currently traveling to Haiti, including Anderson Cooper, to witness the situation.

January 12, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
  29. claire

has anyone heard any news from canape vert we have many friends
    there and service the sisters fille reine de marie d'haiti and their 5 schools in port au prince-croix des bouquets-lilavois -st.marie-and seaut d'eau any info greatly apprecciated thanks-haitian outreach

January 12, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  30. Devna AC360°

go to CNN.COM/IMPACT to see how you can help

January 12, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  31. M. Cary

Earthquake Haiti...time for international regional disaster response units, ready to go within hours when a major event like this occurs. Let's get organized on a global level.

January 12, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  32. Wendia Courtois

I am haitian, i can not find the word to describe how i am feeling right now. what happened in Haiti today is very sad . i am urging all the Haitians in the diaspora to step forward and assist Haiti in any way necessary

January 12, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
  33. Chris Sarasota, Fl.

Anderson,

Good luck as you travel to Haiti. Your dispatches will be sad, but appreciated.

January 12, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
  34. Adelaide

It is really sad about Emily<s mission house

January 12, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  35. Amy

My sister and brother-in-law have been waiting to complete the adoption of their son from Haiti and simply need to for him to get a visa. They are anxiously awaiting to hear news of his well being and the state of the orphanage. He is at Rainbow of Love Nursery in PAP.

January 12, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

michael armstrong sr. TX.
    Yes, There is Volcanoes in Haiti.

January 12, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  37. Amanda Wyatt

We are worried about friend Kevin Marks, an American who works with V3 Corp. In Chicago and left for the island of Gonave
    Sunday for work. Would they have been hit just as bad as the mainland? Please comment on this (to CNN meteorologist).

January 12, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  38. debra massey

i work for a pediatric office..........please find out where we can send baby formula to haiti

January 12, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  39. Bob Keesee

I've worked in Haiti 15 years, & the untold story of this tragedy will be the gouging of aid workers for hotel rooms, transportation and food. I don't know if I'll be able to afford to bring teams in.

January 12, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  40. Emily

This is terrible news from Emily Smack about her mission house...
    I can't image what it's like for her, all the bloggers, and those "waiting" to hear news!
    The 'waiting' must be floor pacing, and nail bitting!

January 12, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  41. Larry

This is such sad news,.my thoughts and prayers go to those who have been affected.

January 12, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  42. kim

If the palace couldn't survive the impact, what hope for the rest of the homes, the cliffhangers, the shanties, the houses made with poor quality cement because that is all the dwellers could afford? Haiti is 4th world status and will never recover without outside resources... and my heart aches for friends there.

January 12, 2010 at 11:21 pm |
  43. JBinPA

Our family is praying for the people in Haiti.. This is so sad, and the chances of mass casualties seem very likely.

I hope we see miracles soon!

January 12, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  44. chad millner

how is this effecting the dominican lots of friends there and worried

January 12, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  45. Tammy, Houma, LA

Just realizing there was an earthquake in a non-stop day. My thoughts and prayers are with all affected. Thanks for the coverage.

January 12, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  46. Gil from Atlanta

Below the Montana Hotel is a home owned by Serge & Rosie Celestin and their family is very concerned for their welfare. If anyone knows anything please provide info. Thanks

January 12, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  47. Aura

Can you please ask an expert what is the risk for the cruises around the area?. I have family that left yesterday in a cruise to The Bahamas.

January 12, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  48. Eric Campbell

Where can we donate/clothes/money/anything Eric Campbell MA.

January 12, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  49. Joseph Dcruz NY

its a disaster .... Pray & Hope for the best & my thoughts & prayers for those all effected .......

January 12, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  50. Pierre Moscova

I recently received word that my relatives in Haiti are okay. God is good for that. I pray that Port-au-Prince can get through these terrible disasters around the bend. For all that read this message, listen to the breaking news, and follow up on the current events please keep Haiti in your prayers. If possible, could Anderson Cooper give us a contact number to send whatever help, whether it may be food, water, clothing, medical assistance, and anything that may help Haiti in this dreadful moment, that would be deeply appreciated.

January 12, 2010 at 11:18 pm |