January 12th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/12/10

We have breaking developments on the earthquake in Haiti. The U.S. State Department has been told to expect a "huge loss of life." Witness in the Haitian capital have reported heavy damage and dead bodies in the streets.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

We

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Are there any volcanoes in this area .

January 12, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  2. Jovens

What a sorrowful state had Haiti faced tonight. My heart goes to every and last family that has affected by this tragedy including my own. Please keep these Families in Prayers:Raymond, Ninger, Seneus, Champagne, Orphee, Augustin, Garcia, Delice, and Joseph.

January 12, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  3. Emily

what about the DR?
    did any of the aftershocks it that part of the Island?

January 12, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  4. Magda

Besides financial support and prayers, I believe that Diasporas should offer their talents and time to help during the recovery process.

Does the State Department have a hotline for Haitian-Americans and legal residents who wish to travel to Haiti to help.

Anderson, please advise since so many of us will be interested in working closing with and for the US government. It is time for us, Diaporas, to take action. We cannot sit down and expect foreign governments and missionaries to do all the work.

Be safe as you travel to Haiti. I hope you will bring some uplifting news– heroes.

January 12, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  5. L. Franco

Safe journey Mr. Cooper...

Since I heard about the earthquake in Haiti, you have been the only reporter who has given solid, straight information about the catastrophe and its victims.

My prayers go to all the Haitians here in the US and back in Haiti.
    Im originally from Cuba and I know for a fact that doctors from Cuba go on missions to help ppl in Haiti. So this tragedy is affecting everybody, those in need and those helping....

Keep us posted on your live coverage from Haiti... God Bless!!!

January 12, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  6. sandra

my heart go out to all my haitian people in haiti..my heart cries with you

January 12, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  7. Nancy in Oregon

Kim, I am naive no doubt, but can he really make much of a public statement right now with power out, etc.?

January 12, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  8. David Doherty

Mr. Kelly is correct. Port-au-Prince does not have a true fire department. The police station in Champs Mars is officially designated as such but lack training or proper equipment. During the 2008 school collapse, the fire chief from Cap Haitien was rushed in to lead the recovery effort.

January 12, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  9. David, Indiana

Please take care Anderson you and your crew.

@Starr At the very least there is some cell phone service.

Hello Jessica Yellen. When you were intvwing Nan Buzard from the intl Red Cross you mentioned that state dept phone number for trying to locate loved ones in Haite, but that phone number was not shown on the screen. I haven't seen or heard it yet, though I notice some posts saying it appeared on the screen.

January 12, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  10. Frantz Francois---West Palm Beach, Fl.

I'm feared for my Three little brothers because they are in Port-au-Prince for school (David, Dario, and Jean Bertrand Francois).
    Hope God keep them alive and the rest of population. I think every Haitian in the US right now should get down on their knees and pray till sun rise. I know i will because i want to hear so bad from my Brothers and others as well.
    God bless Haiti

January 12, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  11. Joseline

Anderson, go for Haiti please, they need help.

January 12, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  12. Marie -NYC

Good evening Mr Cooper and the entire 360 team. I was able to call Haiti and get through but no answer on my dads phone.I'm going to continue to call in hopes that he will answer. Thanks AC360!

January 12, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  13. marc f

Anderson, do you know of any way for first responders to volunteer to go over to Haiti?

keep up the good work,
    -marc

January 12, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  14. sherry_lynn

Cynthia - It's good to hear that your friend with the Mission is okay, but wow... how terrible to hear that a hospital has collapsed! 🙁

January 12, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  15. Kim

Where is the President of Haiti? Really unusual he hasn't made a comforting statement to his people. Is he really alive? That palace isn't just damaged like is being reported, it's totally destroyed. The whole palace has pancaked.

January 12, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  16. Sabrina Augustin

I have just gotten in touch with my uncle in haiti. My families is fine no injuries Thank God.
    The status in haiti as confirmed by my uncle is allot of homes destroyed. many casualty.

January 12, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  17. Eileen, Mpls

Taylor ... keep us all posted. I'm so glad to hear your family is safe.

January 12, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  18. Casey

(please read) if you cantact red cross or any other charity please do whatever you can

January 12, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  19. Emily

Commissioner Kelly was there just a week ago?

It's great to hear that Com. Kelly thinks that on a whole, people are going to be helping one another out!
    esp. since this is the worst quake in 200+ years!

January 12, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  20. Jacques

Anderson, I am an Hatien American soldier with the U.S Air-Force, wanted to express my deepest sorrow to my roots.I pray, God will get us thru these rough times. I'm sure my Commander in Chief will provide assitant to the island,hopefully he send me orders, so I can proudly head to Haiti and serve. I strongly agree with Wyclef's comment earlier on your show. He stated " Hatien Americans need to step up". The Hatien community are very courageous, and I do believe its time to show such courage.Anderson, I want you to help me get in contact with Wyclef, to share Ideas. I know a few powerful Hatien American soldiers, Who are ready to unite and step up.

January 12, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  21. Danielle

Of course Anderson is already out the door and on his way to Haiti. Best of luck and be safe!

January 12, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Isabel, A. Smith, Oregon, Anthonia-California, starr formerly known as vincent, Gloria, Brooklyn, NY & Lori!!! See you tomorrow night! 🙂 HUGS!

January 12, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  23. Deborah in Canada

My friend and I are watching for any news he is from Haiti Port-au-Prince and has family there if any Marseille family or Bertrand family member is able to read this please contact Bertrands in National Capital Region Canada.

January 12, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  24. Cynthia

I have a very close friend in Haiti working with the group "Mission to Haiti". One of the leaders has been in contact with family to let them know that everyone there at the Mission to Haiti camp is safe. They are treating many wounded since the hospital has collapsed. They are out of meds and are treating many compound fractures and other injuries. Several Haitian deaths reported at the camp. They are asking for prayers! They have a generator for lighting tonight, thankfully.

January 12, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  25. Emily

Can governments not get heavy machinery over there?

I'm sure, as already been pointed out, I think by Sen. Maxine W. that many countries will want to help!

can they not get bull dozer's, etc over there?

January 12, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  26. Barry

Great coverage. Good luck to Anderson.

January 12, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
  27. Taylor

Just to let everyone know I have family doing mission work in Port au Prince and I was able to connect them via Skype and ichat but skype worked the best. I could both see them and talk to them. But they must have internet connection.

January 12, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
  28. Eileen, Mpls

What can we all do to help? is there a hotline set up?

January 12, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
  29. Amanda

Thank you for your in depth coverage. I was not near a tv when my stepmom called me to tell me of this disaster. She is very upset, she can't get in touch with her sister and family. My daughter's father has family in Gonaives too. This is so upsetting!

January 12, 2010 at 11:07 pm |
  30. sherry_lynn

To all the people asking how they can help, I'll bet anything that the Red Cross will be coming out with information on what type of assistance they'll need soon.

CNN had someone from the Red Cross on earlier, and it sounded like they're trying to get information just like everyone else.

Be safe Anderson .. 🙁

January 12, 2010 at 11:07 pm |
  31. John (Canada)

Hey ppl; I heard a rescue worker explain that the flimsy houses – single floor – may have kept the death toll down. The collapse of larger – multi story – structures would have the capacity to hurt more ppl. Tx

January 12, 2010 at 11:07 pm |
  32. Nancy in Oregon

Ken Hartford, it sounds like the Red Cross is an avenue for news on Americans there.

January 12, 2010 at 11:07 pm |
  33. Stephanie

Safe travels to you Anderson and all involved. Our prayers are with you.

January 12, 2010 at 11:06 pm |
  34. Ken Hartford

My wife's Dad flew into Haiti today – Got in around two and was bound for Carrefour – How much damage occurred in that area – Any Idea how I find out about my Wife's Dad ?

January 12, 2010 at 11:06 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Thanks, Denva,
    Welcome to AC 360 Jessica!!!!!!

January 12, 2010 at 11:05 pm |
  36. Lucina

Anderson be safe, good luck,Bonne Chance, in getting to Haiti, please if you make it and get to DelMas31 Rue Biassou look for Mme Drienne Mayard, daughter very worried.

January 12, 2010 at 11:05 pm |
  37. Casey

This is soo sad what happen to haiti i hope most people are safe i will donate and pray i just want to help

January 12, 2010 at 11:04 pm |
  38. Judy

My brother Glen Joseph from Fl went to Haiti to do missionary work. He was due to come back tomorrow. He was in Port Au Prince. We have not heard anything from him since. All I can do at this time is pray for him and others. Any ifo about him is welcomed.

January 12, 2010 at 11:04 pm |
  39. A. Smith, Oregon

Good night Anderson Cooper, Jessica, AC360, and fellow bloggers

January 12, 2010 at 11:03 pm |
  40. sherry_lynn

Gregory.... maybe you can send in your videos via a CNN I-report? I hope your family is ok.

January 12, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
  41. Emily

Have a great night Starr, and see you tomorrow!

January 12, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
  42. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Good night everyone – Anderson, be carefu

Good night David and friends

May God protect everyone in Haiti!

January 12, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good Luck, Anderson, Have a good trip fly to Haiti!!!!!! 🙂 HUGS!

January 12, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
  44. Bill - Waretown, NJ

I hope there is International support for this disaster... We American's can't do it alone... God Bless all the people of Haiti...

January 12, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
  45. Tenetra-Clinton, MS

Have a safe trip, Anderson!!

January 12, 2010 at 11:01 pm |
  46. Yolanda

Goodevening! I would like to say. My thought's and prayer's r with haiti.

January 12, 2010 at 11:01 pm |
  47. LisaL - Canada

save travels - glad to hear there will be a translator along

January 12, 2010 at 11:01 pm |
  48. Devna AC360°

Stay with us, as Anderson heads to Haiti tonight – live coverage w/ Jessica Yellin.

January 12, 2010 at 11:01 pm |
  49. Nadine G.

I have family in P-A-P and I have yet heard from anyone.My cousins and I are all on the phone together and hoping that all is well. My heart goes out to all the others who have yet to hear from anyone. My prayers is out to Haiti, I'm standing strong and hopeful everyone is well. God bless Haiti.

January 12, 2010 at 11:01 pm |
  50. Ana Maria

Blogger from Venezuela, im exploting twitter and all my blogs with information fron CNN and all the newsletters i can find!!.. Safe trip to haiti anderson, you dont know how valuable your work is, im sorry that my country cant see beyond our problems to help others. My prayers are with all of Haiti.

January 12, 2010 at 11:00 pm |