January 12th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/12/10

We have breaking developments on the earthquake in Haiti. The U.S. State Department has been told to expect a "huge loss of life." Witness in the Haitian capital have reported heavy damage and dead bodies in the streets.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

We

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Emily

@roudy hercule,

So Glad to hear that your family is safe!

for sure awful that the building collapsed, however, GREAT that they are alive! 🙂
    I'll keep them in my thoughts.

January 12, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  2. Pat Florida

Another 4.7 aftershock just hit .

January 12, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  3. Adelaide

Those of you trying to call Haiti, please note it is taking much longer than usual for the phone to start ringing.

January 12, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  4. victor

im so so sad this evening hearing this sad news in this failed state.is there any way an account would be set up so that we can contribute finally to the good people of this impovrished state.my thoughts and prayers go to those who have been affected.

January 12, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  5. A. Smith, Oregon

Wow, that is a lot of cement dust immediately following the quake in Haiti, ton's of concrete buildings must have collapsed. Another news agency stated a 5 story aid building also collapsed. The body count must be rather high.

January 12, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  6. EiLEEN S

Anderson ... stay safe. Let us know what we can do.

January 12, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  7. starr formerly known as vincent

@All blogges who have family & friends missing or you have not heard fom them, keep faith. Know, as this blog shows, there are many, many people who care. This kind of caring can be a powerful thing and i believe it can move mountains. May all of you find your loved ones safe & sound.

God speed Anderson, and thanks Team 360 for continueing to keep us in the loop tonight.

Good night fellow blogges, hope to see you all tomorrow on this blog.

January 12, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  8. Pat

Anderson, Thank you for covering this story. This is devasted news. My heart goes out to the people of Haiti.

Kuddos to CNN for being the only network covering this story. A lot of people don't know that Haiti is only an hour away from the States. Times may be tough for most of us, but a little help to our fellow neighbor will go a long way .

January 12, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  9. sandler

What's happening in Haiti is very sad. Getting water and medical supplies to people will be a major task. I hope others will donate as well. Hopefully, this time, Haiti will get some real international help instead of theatrical or symbolic gestures.

January 12, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  10. Anthonia-California

Goodnight everyone! I hope everything goes well in Haiti!

January 12, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  11. Gregory Archer

my family has live video during the quake while houses and buildings were collapsing, Mr. Cooper, perhaps you can get a hold of them during your visit tomorrow. Let me know if you need them

January 12, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  12. EiLEEN S

My prayers and thoughts are with everyone! We all need to help these people!!!!

January 12, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sandra,
    My heart goes to you and your neighbors.... keep safe yourself. HUGS!

January 12, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  14. A. Smith, Oregon

Lots of Oregonians went to help in Katrina, NOrleans. I would imagine the same is going to happen in Haiti in the coming days.

January 12, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  15. Sherry

Thx for the coverage CNN. I have heard from friends in Haiti by email including north side of the country and all are ok, but limited services. Since the UN building has reportedly collapsed in PAP, we need to send international aid and an immediate response to coordinate the relief effort asap. Please don't waste time deciding to help our brothers and sisters in this impoverished country, we have money and resources so I hope all governments who can, help out right away.

January 12, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  16. Katie (Canada)

Thoughts and Prayers to everyone in Haiti. Hoping for the best of help to get there quickly.

January 12, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  17. sherry

I hope that Anderson is able to speak to someone there again via skype. There are sure a lot of worried people on here trying to get information... 🙁

Kudos to CNN for staying right on top of this disaster... We're all going to be worried about Anderson as he heads there tonight!

January 12, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  18. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone! "Anderson, be careful!"

January 12, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  19. Lori

Stay safe Anderson. Good night and sweet dreams. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

January 12, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  20. Emily

Good luck with your flight Anderson!
    Be Safe.

January 12, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  21. roudy hercule

i spoke with one my brother in port au prince (carrefour) he told me that a building collapse on one of my other brother and my mother thanks God they are alive. And i heard that the south of the country ( the city of Les Cayes) is hit too. And it is like 160 km far from port au prince.

January 12, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  22. Stephanie Thamas

I'm Haitian and have several family members that are in the midst of this horrible event. I also have several friends in the DR, many are stating that the sea is calm, no waves, and looks like the land. No movement usually happens before a hurricane, I've witnessed it myself and it only means something worst might happen.

January 12, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  23. ClaudiaN

If you look a little east of Hispaniola (the island that includes Haiti), at Puerto Rico, you'll see LOTS of ongoing small earthquakes. That area is on the same fault line, and is moving along smoothly. The section of the fault under Hispaniola has been "locked", with minimal activity for a long time. The large earthquake was inevitable.

January 12, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  24. Emily

The people of Haiti sure have survived much just is such a short few years!

January 12, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  25. Guy

Anderson
    I ilved in Haiti for 4 years and am now back home in Trinidad, I worked for a major airline whilst there and we loved the people and the country despite all the setbacks. Whoever sees this ask someone to look for Fami and check on our friends Claude and Hayden

January 12, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  26. Maxie, FL

Let's just pray, hopefully my family is ok, just hope i could hear from one of them...

January 12, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  27. David N

I've travelled to Haiti many times. How could one begin to help out? I'm sure they'll need a lot of relief work. Is there anyway to go and help?

January 12, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  28. Jovens

"Haitel" is the only Telephone Company that's working in Haiti right now....the only line to get through Haiti....anyone who has their family in Haiti who's using "Haitel" try it... it should work

January 12, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  29. Marie

Hi everyone, my dad and uncle is in Haiti The family is so worried no communication.

January 12, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  30. F. Roger

Hi Mr Anderson, thanks for the coverage in Haiti. You've talked a while ago with Ion Rodgers from Save the Children, my brother J-M Roger works with him ,can you ask him if he can give report of him (my brother) we are trying to reach him to no luck and we are worried. Thank you in advance.

January 12, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  31. Maxie, FL

Llet's pray, i just hope my family is ok, or at least hear from ne of them

January 12, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  32. Becky

Does anyone have any information on the damage near Delmas 31, specifically at Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity at Rue B de Larnage??

January 12, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh my gosh!!!!
    I am praying American 2 aid workers are trapped there, I hope they will get them out of the building, I was shock Emily got hurt her leg..... My thoughts and Prayers with 2 America aid workers.

January 12, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  34. Jennifer

Anderson,
    Travel safe, I am anxiously awaiting communication from Compassion, the organization through which I sponsor a beautiful 6 year old little girl (Blanka St. Hillare). I am praying that she and her family are safe and will keep you in my prayers during your travels.

January 12, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  35. David, Indiana

Good to see the President and Sec. of State acting so quickly. Who coordinates when aid is being sent from many neighboring countries?

Anderson, doesn't the Red Cross help people trying to determine the safety of loved ones and friends in a disaster zone?

@Stuart, How much time does it take to travel over roads into Haiti from nearest Airports in Dominican Republic?

What about other airports in Haiti, is their condition known?

When will relief organizations give assessments?

January 12, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  36. Karol Sihite

Very concerned.

We have an employee who just flew into Port au Prince this afternoon for a business meeting. He was staying at the Hotel Montana.

We have had no contact since 4:40. Very concerned. How will Americans be evacuated????

January 12, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  37. Pierre

Thanks CNN for beeing dedicated in relating the News from Haiti, I can't find any other channels reporting this. It shows compassions and respect. Thank you.

January 12, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  38. Jean-Bosco

I am standing shoulder to shoulder with the people of Haiti. I want to volunteer my services to them. Speak, read and write Creole, French, Spanish and English.
    My prayers are with the Haitian community around the world.

January 12, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  39. Bonnie

What can we do to help?

January 12, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  40. Emily

this is great info here from Chad...he's been giving great info all evening...things that I never knew.
    very scary things!

January 12, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  41. Rex

Hey anderson there are 12 students visting there from Fl.

January 12, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  42. Edward

Hi Anderson:

I was wondering if the earthquake reached Dominican Rep or if any aftershocks reached the capital of Dominican Rep?

January 12, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  43. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Maybe we should prepare for evacuation of the civilian population but where do we put them .

January 12, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  44. D frederick FL

Haiti will need a lot of help from everyone around the world. We will need 20,000 trained workers to rescue people from the piles of rubble

January 12, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  45. Mike

We need to be timely and smart with our aid to the people in Haiti.

Assume the worst, and send light to heavy equipment now. Earth movers on transports tonight. Additonal immediate needs will be water, rations, medication, triage supplies.

Hait is in relatively close proximity to the US, move out now and save lives.

What we don't want is another New Orleans response. Lessons learned folks!

January 12, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  46. Jo Anne Shatkin

Anyone have any news about the 12 Lynne University students who arrived at Hotel Montana today @ 4 to work with Food for the Poor?

January 12, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  47. Shar

Anderson, God's speed on your way to Haiti, our thoughts and prayers go with you and to our brothers and sisters who so desperatly need our help!

January 12, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  48. Mary Love

What about damage in the Dominican Republic, at the other end of the island?

January 12, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  49. Devna AC360°

@Kyran – Chad Meyers saying aftershocks can last for weeks.

January 12, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  50. yveline

beside US sending help in Haiti; what about using us the haitian-american nurser, doctors,etc to go to Haiti and give our help

January 12, 2010 at 10:49 pm |