January 12th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/12/10

We have breaking developments on the earthquake in Haiti. The U.S. State Department has been told to expect a "huge loss of life." Witness in the Haitian capital have reported heavy damage and dead bodies in the streets.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

We

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Danny

i can't believe this would happen to haiti. that's my country where i have a bunch of family; i'm asking everyone to pray for the safety of those people because only god can help.

January 12, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  2. Devna AC360°

@VIC – visit our twitter (@andersoncooper) and wyclef's (@wyclef) for more information.

January 12, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  3. Becky

I've been to Haiti 13 times and am devastated by what they are going through. The people struggle everyday to survive, this is just unbelievable!! Thank you for going there and reporting on it for us. God Bless Haiti and safe travels!!!

January 12, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  4. Mark Payton

I ahve been to Haiti about 25 times I have been to pigeonville many times and stayed in their buildings and visited in many of their homes I fear hundreds of thousand are dead, My heart is broken for them. If possible I willbe over there helping them shortly

January 12, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Christina, Windber

Hey Anderson,

My prayers are with all those affected by the eathquake in Haiti. I can't imagine their pain and terror, especially while waiting for help to arrive. Nothing is worse than pain and suffering and being unable to help yourself or others. I hope help arrives quickly and God be with them all.

Safe trip Anderson and be careful.

January 12, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  6. steve

i hope everybody in haiti is ok. god speed

January 12, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  7. JOSEPHINE

Our church Trinity United Methodist Church in Hackettstown has a team of young people serving in Haiti. They left NJ Jan5th and were to be there for a week.. No contact has been heard. Please pray.

January 12, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  8. Kathryn Vento

My God, I cannot believe what those people are going through. Can you post the text again to give $5? You do valuable work Anderson.

January 12, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  9. brooke

pray for all the people in haiti, i hope they're all doing okay now. great job reporting anderson, you're the best!

January 12, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  10. milka

people are talking about a posible sunammi do you have any news on this thank may god and every one keep all this people and there prayers.

January 12, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  11. Pat Florida

The USGA has reported there have been 20 after shocks ranging from 4.6 to 5.9 . I think any of those would qualify as an earthquake in and by itself. Can you imagine a city already damaged by a major quake being hit about twice an hour with another quake. This is deffinately major damage and the aftershocks may continue for many more hours. Prayers to all. Pat

January 12, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  12. Janina

Thank you for the coverage. Do you have any information on how we can volunteer in Haiti with the relief efforts?

January 12, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  13. sherry

To Lori Tugwell who posted on here:

I sure hope that you hear about your soon-to-be-adopted in the orphanage! I can't imagine how worried you must be!!!

If you hear anything while this blog is still active, I hope that you'll update us.

🙁

January 12, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  14. Jean

I also heard from the same source that the hotel Teleco is building at Pont Morin ,lower area of Petion is severely dammaged

January 12, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  15. Kyran

Please ask Chad how long before aftershocks will stop? When can people feal safe to go inside again?

January 12, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  16. Lisa, Louisville, KY

What a terrible disaster! Praying for the Haitians and for safe travel for the CNN crew – please be safe!

January 12, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  17. Lori

Anderson, bring your guardian angel with you. I will be praying for your safety.

January 12, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  18. Roosevelt

Anderson, the situation is catastrophic! It's a blessing that you are going tomorrow to bring live images to the world of what really happened today. I'm from Haiti. I have many family and friends in Port-au-Prince. My sister attends New American School (NAS) just two blocks away from the Presidential Palace, she would have been in school still around the time the quake hits. It appears that downtown Port-au-Prince has been crumbled from the info I've seen and gathers from friends. I cannot reach anyone in Haiti now. If you have any information about the school please let me know or put it on the air. I will be praying for your trip. Get a guide when you get to the border tomorrow, some of the roads may not be accessible but most natives will know how to get around them. Thank you.

January 12, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  19. Emily

@Bloggers,

All of yous that are trying to contact your family & friends in Haiti, I hope that you are a successful and have positive outcomes! 🙂

January 12, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  20. Laineda

Now more than ever we need prayers and support for Haiti. I really think this is a time that will test just how much the Haitian Abroad love our country. I think we all(Haitians) need fly to Haiti and be the first there helping. before we can ask the US, or the UN to help I think we all need to take action and be in the front line helping.

January 12, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  21. Mike Elliott

Anderson,
    I have a daughter from Lynn University on a humanitarian project. She was staying in the hotel Montana. I have heard that 8 of the 16 students and faculty members were huddled outside of the building. I hope and pray for everyones safety. Thank you for going there to get a betterinsight. If you run in to her, her name is Melissa Elliott.

January 12, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  22. yves

ho, God for give us! only one thing is haiti needs a lot of help in this situation please keep your eyes on us for the one who can give help. medicals! one thing to say whether somebody wants to give help try to make it directly because some people are not serious they can rob the things and sail them!

January 12, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  23. starr formerly known as vincent

Anderson, i realize you want to go to this story and you should. However, as seasoned a reporter and your crew is, please, please be careful. I also know that there will be much heartbreak in the story, so God give you strenght too.

January 12, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Nancy in Oregon

steven j davis, do a search with 'are earthquakes increasing' and then choose the USGS sites....the info is there.

January 12, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  25. A. Smith, Oregon

Steven, it appears so. Earthquakes, volcano's. With global warming you would expect more of both wouldn't you?

January 12, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  26. MIllie

Hello Anderson:

You guys are the best! always the only ones giving us the news. Thanks for broadcasting the earthquake in Haiti. My thoughts and prayers with Haiti. Hope that the help gets to the people of Haiti.

January 12, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  27. Craig

Haiti is in the same time zone as EST (Eastern U.S.), such as Florida and New York.

It is nightime in Haiti...

January 12, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  28. barbara galbraith

Kurt Hildebrand works for a Mennonite non-profit in Port au Prince. If anyone crosses his path in Haiti, please let me know @barbaralynng

January 12, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  29. Hilde Van Durme

Good evening everybody,

I felt the tremor in Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic for about 10 seconds. I realised it was an earth quake when I saw the lights swinging and my dogs standing up and looking alert.

My hart goes out for all those people who are going into a very dark and long awfull night.

January 12, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  30. Lauren--NY

Such a horrible tragedy. Thank you so much to the whole 360 team for providing us with all of this information and for letting us know how to donate.

January 12, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  31. Magda

I hope that the US government will after this unfortunate event grant TPS to Haitian Nationals because these individuals will in turn support and provide financial assistance to relatives in Haiti during the recovery process. I also ask the US government to closely monitor and supervise the rescue and reconstruction process and the humanitarian effort because I want to ensure that the funds and help go to those who need them and not to enrich politicians.

January 12, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  32. Francoise

My family is in Haiti. The last time I heard from them was at 5pm this evening. They live in Fermathe, however only have one road that will bring you down the mountain to Petionville. I am hearing that hotel Montana (friends of the family) has collapsed and just saw a picture of the Palace, that has also collapsed. I don't have my passport current, but would love to help. Please tell me how.

January 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  33. Tracy Shelton

Anderson
    Thank you for your coverage of this devastation. Our family started the adoption process 2 years ago for 2 orphans in Haiti. The paperwork has been sitting in the government offices with little to no progress for well over a year. What does this earthquake mean for the adoption processes taking place for hundreds of children? Can the government offices recover?

January 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  34. Marc Joseph

MR. Cooper Anderson thank you so much, for concern just love the love that you are giving ti my people....... sorry that i had to put through this may the Lord look after your Family while you are out there for help.....

January 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  35. Jodi

Thanks for your coverage on Haiti tonight. My husband is in Cap Haitien on a mission trip and they are OK there. Praise God they just celebrated a 25th anniversary celebration and church dedication. God IS working there at Pillatre Christian Center and He WILL continue to work in Haiti. We love our Haitian brothers and sisters and continue to lift them up in prayer. They are strong and God will continue to be glorified. Take note of all of the people who are doing good things to help in the midst of such a tragedy.

January 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  36. Milexy Vital,Atlanta,GA

Good evening all, I am Dominican-Haitian and my heart is deaply grieved for what has happend. I have jus spoken with family in DR. and they are telling me that they are still under a warning there. and while I was on the phone around 10:15, they had reported another aftershock. I just pray that help can get there faster than it has in the past, I am doing what I can to help. To Mr. Mike only the Capital felt a little shake, Punta Cana is said to be fine, I have family there. Only God knows what kind of damage has been done. Now is the time for the world come together in unity. May the Lord comfort all those in mourning and help those in need!

January 12, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Terry

I am a missionary in the village of Grande-Goave, Haiti. These people do not have equipment to clear roads, not much at all please people these are humans living like this. Unless you go you cannot even imagine the horrors I have seen there. I am states side recovering from a serious illness,but will be returning soon. I would love to hear news from Servants of All in Grande-Goave.

January 12, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  38. Caro

Do you have any info on how to go to Haiti and help either with the UN, humanitarian organization or military group?

January 12, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  39. steven j davis

i have a question for the usgs . are earthquakes becoming more frequent than ever before?

January 12, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  40. A. Smith, Oregon

I would imagine there is a mass shortage of fresh water in the days ahead there in haiti. The water lines to the capitol are likely all broken.

January 12, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  41. Nicolas N

Mr Cooper,
    My stepfather is the Special Representative of the UN in Haiti. We are desperately trying to find news of him and my mother. The UN residence is very close to the Montana Hotel. My motyher has Alzheimer and maybe very disoriented. Any help, any news would be welcome.
    Nicolas

January 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  42. Emily

@Lisa L,

Glad to see you on the blog tonight from Australia! 🙂
    It's really awful news! ...I can't imagine what it looks like.
    lots of collapsed buildings and tons of damage!

January 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  43. rebecca pickens

Did you see the picture of the presidential palace? I have it on facebook...it's unbelievable...i'm in shock...why?

January 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  44. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

My prayers and thoughts go to the people of Haiti. I hope that there will be a better outcome of this natural disaster.

January 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Eddy

Hi Cooper and Everyone!
    Im a Haitian- American living in Orlando, Fl. Im a Firefighter/Paramedic and Im so sad knowing that Haiti does not have the available emergency response to help out those that are in acute need of urgent care and rescue. My heart goes out to all the people of Haiti.

January 12, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  46. Renee

@ Lori Tugwell: My suggestion to you is to call your Representatives and Senators for the state of AR now in Washington DC. You may get an aide at this time of the night working late. State your case and fax papers over to them. Maybe they can pull some strings for your with your son's VISA. Good luck!

January 12, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Dodie

When I first went to Haiti as a child. I could not eat for a week looking at all the other children with protruding stomachs due to starvation. I must have cried every day. I would go out on the street and give away my food.

January 12, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  48. starr formerly known as vincent

@David, Indiana

Apparently people have been communicating through the social web sites, like Facebook and sending photos too.

Cnn has reported cell service as spotty and only available in the city. No one seems to know what things are like out in the more rural areas.

January 12, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  49. Brenda (NJ)

My prayers go to the people of Haiti and the surrounding areas like the Dominican Republic (DR). An earthquake of 7.0 would most likely be felt in the DR as well.
    Anderson, please be careful on your trip. You are awesome. I will pray for you and your crew as well.

January 12, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  50. Eugenia - San Francisco

ok anderson, i believe now everybody is saying is what's going on with all the earthquakes lately? did see something in an earlier post about you going haiti?

January 12, 2010 at 10:37 pm |