January 12th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/12/10

We have breaking developments on the earthquake in Haiti. The U.S. State Department has been told to expect a "huge loss of life." Witness in the Haitian capital have reported heavy damage and dead bodies in the streets.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

We

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Lori

It will be a long night in Haiti, Does anyone know what time it is over there right now?

January 12, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  2. J. Broadway

Anderson, I am retired US Air Force and would like to do what I can to help out in Haiti. I have skills in construction as well as logistics from the military. If any volunteers are need in search and rescue and/or rebuilding, please get my name and info out to who ever needs to know. I am very willing and available to assist. Thank you. Jim Broadway, MSgt, Retired, USAF.

January 12, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  3. Aaron

@AventuraFlorida

This is horrible!

The earthquake did so much damage in Haiti and shook the hearts of families in South Florida. There are so many Haitians in South Florida looking for answers and trying to contact family.

We send prays to Haitians all over the U.S. and in Haiti. We must join together.

January 12, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  4. Canny

Energy has been sent with healing since I heard of this terrible quake hitting Haiti. Please join me in sending energy, love, prayers to those in need surviving through the nite.

January 12, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  5. Steve Dubzinski

There is a group os students from Lynn University from Forida there...a text message came out...there are four missing....8 are safe....Anderson, I know you are going there...WE NEED YOUR HELP>>>>>the family of one of the missing is obviously distraught....HELP.....please

January 12, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Paul,
    Not yet from Dominican Republic. No clue yet from them.

January 12, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  7. Philander

My mother-in-law is in Port-au-Prince right now. We have yet to hear from her. There was already severe structural damage to her home! God Bless you, AC

January 12, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  8. sandra

i am a haitian woman who reside in holland i am shock sad and heart broken i can not breath with this devastion in haiti i will do all i can to get some help in holland i promise i wont let u down mt haitian people.

January 12, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Lovia Delva

Dear Mr. Cooper,
    I would also like to have a school wide event where students and staff will donate clothes and shoes to the Haitian Population. Is there anyway to send them overseas.

January 12, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Bryan

RedCross and others MUST use the darkness to organize. Do not waste time! God bless you heading out shortly Anderson – Keep it real bud - and be safe.

January 12, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  11. Douglas Santiago

Anderson:

Do we know if any of the neighboring islands have suffered any effects from this earthquake and it's after shocks?

I have family in Puerto Rico and from past experiences with dealing with hurricanes and other natural disasters in PR, sometimes the effects of these natural disasters can be felt in neighboring islands such as Hispaniola, Jamaica and Puerto Rico all at the same time. I am just curious, I have not heard if any of the neighboring islands have suffered any effects? Thanks for your response.

January 12, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  12. Yves

Radio-Canada Television has been showing video clips of POP for more than an hour now. The palace has collapsed. Almost entirely.

January 12, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Lesley Litrento

I want to go there and help. How do I make contact with an aid group that could use an extra hand?

January 12, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Michelle

Thank you very much for such lengthy coverage of the Haitian earthquake tonight. I can't imagine watching anything else as I learn about the suffering of other human beings. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Haiti right now, as well as with their family and friends in other countries awaiting information about their loved ones.

January 12, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  15. shona

Does anyone know, or have asked anyone in Haiti about the orphanages? I am so concerned for the many children there, especially since my friend has an adopted son who is still in an orphanage in Port-au-Prince.

January 12, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  16. milka

hi anderson i would like to know how is the dominican republic with the earthquake thank you.

January 12, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  17. Terry - Nashville

If commercial jets can come and go, then disaster relief can. Right?

January 12, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  18. Anthonia-California

@Paul- I wonder if the Dominican Republic felt the quake too.

January 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  19. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

poor people .... strong images

January 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  20. michael armstrong sr. TX.

The United States needs to do more then just give food water and medical we need to take Hattie under our wing .

January 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  21. Emily

@Anderson,
    I hope that you have a safe journey there!

January 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  22. Devna AC360°

@Virginia – go to cnn.com/impact!

January 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  23. Lisa L

Good evening Anderson,

My thoughts and prayers are with you, please come back safely soon.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

January 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  24. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

Wow, hadn't heard about this until now... has the US offered any aid yet?

January 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  25. ann fredericks

Anderson you are a wonderful, caring person! My daughter and I wish you a safe trip while in Haiti...please take care....great reporting!

Ann

January 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  26. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Why is it the the other half of the island, the Dominican Republic, isn't as poor as Haiti? Same island, same people, same climate, same resources.

January 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  27. Kelle

Word from folks in Petionville is that the airport sustained significant damage and is closed

January 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  28. Patricia

Its a sad day for Haitians in Haiti and abroad. Whats even more sad is that we are going to talk about this for a few days then forget about it. the Haitian Government does not have an infustructure designed to help individuals on hand. As a Haitian American and Health Care worker I intend to go to and provide some sort of aide. I hope my fellow Haitians abroad follow suite. Please donate to reputable organization to help Haiti. Beware of organizations who will plot to monoplize on this tradegy.

January 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  29. Lucina

me again Mme Adrienne lives in DelMas 31 Rue Biassou si vous avez des nouvelles de ce Cartier (any news on this neighborhood)please let us know

January 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  30. Rosely (Brazil)

I´m worried about Brazilian troops on ground as part of UN peace keepers. Haitians are being submitted to steady natural disaters, not to mention financial and political turmoils. Let´s hope they are able to survive once more

January 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  31. Emily

@rick,

"our prayers go out to these poor but proud,brave,people"

I agree w/you Rick...
    It's situations like this, that the best is often brought out in a person/group of people...and you see what they are made of....and the people of Haiti ARE REAL survivors!

January 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  32. Stella Moore

Round up the wealthy movie stars. It's time to give back. CEO's, Bankers, friends of Bernie at the top get out your check book and give, give, give, give; America is broke and you are not. It is time the top 10% give back some of their loot.The people of Haiti need your help.

January 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  33. Marie M., Montréal, Qc, Canada

I'm so sorry about the earthquake, I cannot imagine what the people down there are going through right now. I tried to get in touch with my family, so far nothing and I'm worried. I thank all the people who will have Haiti in their prayers.

January 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  34. starr formerly known as vincent

@Susan, CNN has reported thatm thankfully, there were no tsumani's, so my guess is that cruise ship, boats, etc. are okay.

January 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  35. Craig

My prayers go out to the good people of Haiti. They have been the victims of much injustice, war, and poverty. Natural disasters on top of this is really terrible.

Thank you Anderson for keeping a spot light on Haiti. It may save some lives in the here and now.

January 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  36. Michelle

Hey, honestly I don't know that this will get me anywhere other than to make me feel better. My husband is in Haiti, PAP on a UN Mission. I spoke with him right after the earthquake, but I have not heard from him since 5p. If anyone has any news on the UN Police I would greatly appreciate it.

January 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  37. Jovens

what a sad news for many Haitians tonight, my heart goes deeply out to them including my own family... please keep the Raymond, Ninger, Seneus,Champagne, Orphee, Augustin, Delice, Garcia, Families in prayers..with tears

January 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  38. Stan

When I'm there for Mission's I stay at the Hotel Montana and I here it has fallen

January 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  39. Lori K.

Good evening Anderson! What a disaster, that is so sad for such a poor country. Hopefully the world will reach out and help them during their time of need! Have a safe trip to Haiti Anderson!

January 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  40. Lydia, Buffalo, NY

Anderson, love you for having a heart of gold and caring about these people... Have a safe trip to Haiti..I am in tears over this major crisis.

January 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  41. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

35 seconds seems so little when we're safe, but were enough for it all!

January 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  42. Marie

Emi, I Love You! Stay strong! God has been with you and He is not about to let you go through this right now. I am praying for his safety and all the others that are affected by this. Be Strong!

January 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  43. angela corey

Just heard from my friend. Rhyan Buettner @ GLA Orphanage in Petionville. They have been receiving aftershocks every 10-15 min since the big quake. Many more than the aftershocks that are being reorted.

January 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  44. Paul

What's happening in Dominican Republic?

January 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  45. Drew

The People of Haiti need our prayers and they also need action. I was just there this past year and I can tell from personal experience that Haiti is not at all prepared for a disaster of this magnitude. They need our help. I plead to you to find any way to help these people even if it is as small as a word of prayer. Any help at all those people need.

January 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  46. bill crane

in a disaster everyone is a must. What is Ian Rodgers doing comenting instead of heleping the victiums? time is of the essence in life and death.

January 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson.
    I hope you will travel to Haiti after show, I am praying for safely there to cover for us from Haiti.

January 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  48. Aurelia

Does anyone know if the Rainbow Gallery in Petionville is still standing and if the owners, The Delatour Family are okay. They live near the El Rancho Hotel.

January 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  49. Gary

My thoughts and prayer to my friends and family in Haiti. I can only hope that they are safe. Still no contact yet.

January 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  50. A. Smith, Oregon

News of a 5 story aid building collapsing sounds like the scope of this disaster is going to be very large when it is more closely looked at tomorrow and thru out this week.

January 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |