January 12th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/12/10

We have breaking developments on the earthquake in Haiti. The U.S. State Department has been told to expect a "huge loss of life." Witness in the Haitian capital have reported heavy damage and dead bodies in the streets.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

We

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Lyndsey

Any way to find out about L'Hermitage? It's a village near Bainet maybe 50 miles outside of Port au Prince...wondering if there is a lot of damage or injured people there

January 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  2. Vic

Please repeat the text # for sending help to Haiti. Tweet is also please.

January 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  3. Jerry S

Talked to a friend people in need ASAP of first aid and basic items. Please donate and pray for the ones in need

January 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  4. Tom Pearce

Temporary Protected Staus for Haitians in the USA.. Deportation to these horrifying conditions would be absolutely inhumane. Why has Haiti never been granted TPS. Not granted after Hurricane Gustav or civil unrest, It is time for TPS for Haiti.

January 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  5. Terry - Nashville

As far as I can tell, no HAM operators have been consulted about this disaster. They are first responders that could be contacted all over the U.S. How come?

January 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  6. chris elie

Hey anderson my creol is great let me come with you. I'm broke but I want to help my country, I have a passport let me help anyway I can.

January 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  7. billy

Has anyone heard of. Initiatives by the Caribbean Community? Would be interesting to see if and how we help our older sister

January 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  8. Tammy&Gerry

God Bless our associates & friends at Stecher, Rue Pavee, Port-Au-Prince, just spoke to them a few days ago. We are so very worried and shocked. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone as we await contact from them about their safety. Wyclef, my prayers for your family also.

January 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  9. Kacendre

I pray for the people of my Motherland, i have many relatives there and have not yet get in contact with any of them. I am asking everyone to keep praying for Haiti. I wish i could go there to do volunteer work.

January 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  10. margaret

Our cousins, Drs. Warren & Gretchen Berggren, are world-renowned doctors working in Haiti. In light of the disastrous earthquake today, do you know how we can (not tonight) get news about their well-being?

January 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  11. David, Indiana

@Starr Yes the video from looks the hills around city of Port au Prince is troubling.

Skype is working by individual satellite dishes? but how is texting working if cell phone service is out?

January 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  12. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

It's great to see the facebook and twitter being used as a communication tool in these moments

January 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  13. Cameron

Hi Anderson,
    I am a student at Appalachian State University and I have been watching all the coverage on the earthquake in Haiti. I want to help the people of Haiti by getting students to gather emergency supplies in shoe boxes for them. Hopefully our school can help the Haitians in this time of crisis. Do you know of any ways we can send items to Haiti ???

January 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  14. Susan

What would have happened to any cruise ships or boats in the area?

Would there have been substantial waves?

Susan

January 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  15. Lynn, Quebec, Canada

Thoughts and prayers go to poor people in Haiti,
    they need everyone's help all around the world. Fast.
    Does anyone know if surrounding islands are affected.
    Cuba, DR, Turks and Caicos...?

January 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Scott Spencer

God speed Anderson Cooper. Skype is getting noticed now.

January 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  17. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@Anderson

Take care on your journey!!

January 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  18. Matthew Rings

I spoke with friend in Les Cayes and they are without power and scared to go back inside

January 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  19. Lovia Delva

Dear Mr. Cooper,
    I'm located in Kissimmee, Fl, and after hearing about the news, I feel devastated. I'm a 17 year old student, my dad and my brother are in Haiti, I have no means of communication with them. I just wanted to know if there was anyway for me to get in touch with them to know that they are alive, they are my world and I miss them already.

January 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  20. Shelly Pettersen

Our prayers are with the Haitian people. I hope all Americans, Haitian or not, will help the Haitian people. I've been to Haiti several times with a Christian group providing medical help and kids camps. The Haitian people are wonderful people and live with incredible poverty everyday. We are anxiously waiting to here how our friends are doing. Let's all come together and show these people that we care.

January 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  21. Marie

What a tragedy! My thoughts and prayers to the Haitian community. My parents left for Haiti two weeks ago in an effort to escape cold! I pray to God that they are safe. God help us all.

January 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  22. Jen

I have family who live directly across the street from Hotel Montana- Anybody, please confirm the devasation in the area. Thank you

January 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  23. Napua

How can you join a search team or disaster relief team?

24. Norma

I am looking for a Haitian employee who works at the US Embassy in Haiti, has anyone heard what the status of the embassy is or the status of the town of Pacot?

25. starr formerly known as vincent

@ Rose Denize

I saw a report earlier on CNN that published a phone number for families to contact the State Dept. (i think) to find out about family members

Ask one of the moderators of this blog to see if they can help you get the phone number.

God bless you and your sister.

26. Ernest Bien-Aime

My father travels to and from Haiti all the time and he is over there right now we have been calling him since this has happenned This will be a terrible day in my life if he is gone I hope that people will come together and provide for this nation in need

27. Michael

Anderson,

Where can one donate funds to help with Haiti's relief efforts?

Michael G. – Orlando

28. Tracey K.

Good evening AC360 crew...

My prayers go out to the citizens in Haiti and all Haitian Americans. This is such a tragic event.

The prayers of the righteous availeth much. God Bless.

29. Melanie

Anderson,

Our love and prayers to you as you travel to the field. Cannot wait to see your report.

Prayers to all in Haiti. This is a terrible time for the world. Let's 'bond" together and help those who've helped us!

30. saraie

i hope haiti get help for the needy because we have been through alot and this is one more on our list of problems best of wishes to haiti.

January 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  31. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Anderson

Take careon your journey!!

32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Pascale Duroseau,
    Thank you for share with us........ My heart goes to you and your neighbors in Haiti.

33. jennifer tinker

worry... students and staff from Lynn University...please send word!

34. Cindy Blakey

Anderson, what a tragedy, we all need to support these poor people, Haiti needs our help! We are so lucky to be in our own familiar land( Canada for me) what a true tradgedy for that poor of the poorest , !We all need to help!

35. pascale jc

Anderson,
    Thanks for way in which you are reporting the news about Haiti, meaning after watching the news all evening, i've realized that you are one of the few journalists who've focused on the magnitude of the earthquake rather than focusing only on that it's poorest country in the western hemisphere. so thank you.
    pascale jc

36. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Josh, no this isn't due to global warming. The number of large (greater than 7.0) earthquakes has averaged 18 per year since 1900, and the annual number isn't increasing per the USGS.

37. Colleen Hutchinson

Lynn University in Boca Raton has over a dozen students and faculty members who were working with "Food for the Poor" in Haiti when the earthquake struck. Report is they were staying at the Hotel Montana. Please pray for these people , their families and this nation. And even though we think , as a nation, that the U.S. is suffering, nothing can compare to what Haiti has suffered. Urge congress to act fast in order to save lives!!

38. stephanie m desamot

anderson , do you have any information for jacmel a city in haiti ?
    \

39. Didi

I heard some people already died..from houses falling on them..

January 12, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  40. Wayne lonesome

We here in Jamaica, next door to Haiti, send our love to all our next door brothers and sisters in Haiti. we are watching closely and ready to assist in any way posible

January 12, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  41. Nancy in Oregon

Yes, Georgia Kruusi, there are a few Oregonians here for sure! Having grown up in So. Cal., I was used to earthquakes...but for the years spent in Oregon, I have grown un-used to it again!

January 12, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  42. Jessica

This is a terrible thing that is happening.
    Please anyone that can help, please help my country.
    We need all the help that we can get, even just a thought or a prayer can go a long way.
    Please help us.
    I have my mother in Haiti right now, she is in haiti recovering from a surgery in Leogan, but i can't get a hold of her or know what is going on with her.
    Let god bless everyone and pray something be done

January 12, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  43. rick

our prayers go out to these poor but proud,brave,people

January 12, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  44. Emily

This gentleman has been providing great information here by SKYPE!

January 12, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  45. Jim

My neice is in Haiti working in an orphanage. her brother is there visiting her and was scheduled to return home to Phoenix arizona tommorow,. Is there any word on the welfare of Americans working in Haiti?

January 12, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  46. Jeanne Blanton

I have a friend, Sherry (youth pastor, pastor's wife) that landed in Haiti today to lead a group from US to our deaf school that we sponsor there. We have not heard from her or the group since. Prayers appreciated that her and the others from the US are ok and will be able to help while there. Sure hope the US gets over there and helps Haiti now.

January 12, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  47. Stan

My heart is going out to Haitain people. I go each year to serve as a short term missionary.

January 12, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  48. Emily

@Mads Højgaard,

I hope that your family/friends are okay!
    glad to see you on the blog, yet hopeful I will see you again here for a happier reason one night! 🙂

It's always here!

January 12, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  49. stephanie m desamot

di you hear anything about a city call jacmel in haiti after the earthquake ? anybosy

January 12, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  50. earline

my prayers are with them all. the rescuers as well.

January 12, 2010 at 10:23 pm |