January 12th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/12/10

We have breaking developments on the earthquake in Haiti. The U.S. State Department has been told to expect a "huge loss of life." Witness in the Haitian capital have reported heavy damage and dead bodies in the streets.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

We

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. jane

Why when something like this happen we want to pray and help. Haiti has been in a state of emergency for a long time. I've been to Haiti and the place has been crying for help for years and what??????????

January 12, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  2. Danielle - Los Angeles

I'm sorry to say but I think things are just going to get worse without help from the rest of the world. Haiti does not have the infrastructure (political, emergency response teams, etc.) to handle this catastrophe. Everyone needs to do as much as they can to help them.

January 12, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  3. Chinedu Mg.

Is there any relief effort that I can get involved with from Canada, the canadian media doesn't have much going on.

Chinedu Mgadi

January 12, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  4. Matthew Rings

If anyone knows a way I can get to Haiti to help with the aid please let me know. I have been to Haiti many time to help at orphanages

January 12, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  5. brian e

what a horrible thing to come home from work to see on tv.I will say prayers for the haitians

January 12, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  6. Evangelyna

Good Evening Anderson,

I have a lot of family in Haiti and I am grateful that most of them are okay but a lot is gone. For the past few years Haiti has gone through so much with hurricanes, mudslides, violence, and poverty. I hope that we receive as much help as possible. Haitians in America need to come together to rebuild our country.

January 12, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  7. Anthonia-California

@Barry- Hopefully the U.S would provide aid soon. And I hope the same lack of aid does not happen like it did when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans.

January 12, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  8. kim wagg

Evening Anderson,

I am wondering if there is a place to send clothing and the many other necessities of life these people so badly need?

peace & prayers

January 12, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  9. M. Howey

I am so sorry to hear of the devastating news about Haiti. How much more can that poor country suffer!

Could you please provide some coverage on the Dominican Republic? It
    must have been hit as well, since it borders directly on Haiti.

M. Howey, B.C.
    Canada

January 12, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  10. Kit

a group of school children from brisitsh columbia, canada arrived at the airport 1 hour before the earthquake struck....they were there for a house building project....does anyone have information on the conditions at the airport. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone there

January 12, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  11. A. Smith, Oregon

Hi Devna, could you please post the toll free survivor number in Haiti here in the blog for your viewers also?

12. Sarah

I am scheduled to take another trip to Petionville in March to the Children's hospital. Hoping it is still standing...and am anxious to help in any way I can.

I last went in 08 after the hurricane and saw how long it takes for the city to recover from a disaster like this. Months from now when the world has forgotten about this, Haiti will still be just beginning to recover. The equipment and people that Americans are used to coming to "clean up" after a disaster like this are not present in Haiti. The people of PAP and Haiti need our prayers and help more than you can imagine.

13. Tamer

As we speak there are people under the wreckage, rescue forces should be sent right away..
    God be with them.

14. Georgia Kruusi

It's interesting how many of us are in Oregon!! We live in an area with several "sluggish" faults...it reminds me every time it happens somewhere else it could be us at anytime. I can only give my prayers for the people in Haiti...wish I could give more!

15. Kitty Kelso

Kitty: I pray for the people in Haiti. Port Au Prince has always been a proud place for them to live. This will instill fear that will probably sit in their minds for a lifetime; the local destruction we will all see to it that it is repaired. Talk to your neighbors; start some evening meetings for you all to gather and pray. Thank God for your lives; there is strength in numbers. Please keep us posted as to what you need, as we turn this situation around with you.

16. Vicki B. Rubenstein

My daughter and her boyfriend are in Punta Cana, I am worried sick. Have not been able to reach her or the resort. Do you know anything about the resorts and any results. Please can you find out. the names are Carly Rubenstein and Kevin Kelly. I need to know they are safe. Please.

17. Sabrina in Los Angeles

As soon as you hear about a quake anywhere on that ring of fire plate, expect a quake somewhere else on it.

This plate is responsible for creating the Hawaiin islands and the volcanoes like Mt Reinier and the reason for "Old Faithful" in Yosemite.

18. Shanoya Luckett

I am deeply saddened by this event. It will definitely take an herculean effort to provide relief during such a catastrophic event. I just told my little sister that the end of the world isn't near, now I'm not so certain. My prayers and sympathy to the Haitian people.

Praying for Haiti
    Shanoya L.

19. Damion Mitchell

Our deepest sympathies to the people of Haiti. In Kingston, Jamaica, we too were rocked by an earthquake roundabout 4:54 this afternoon. The good thing is that our quake had magnitude of about 4 so there is no injury or damage. We never knew the seriousness of the point of origin of the disaster until we tuned in to CNN and recognized that there was hell and horror unfolding in Haiti.

20. Keeyahna

Haiti needs help. What is the world doing? What is the United States doing? What is the security like? Will CNN get live video coverage of area? Also thank you CNN for covering this story. You are the best media outlet!!

21. Emily

@BandonLuna,

I've heard that the looting is already going on...really sad.

I agree with you; that the people of Haiti need water, food, security, etc.

22. Devna AC360°

@Heather – a tsunami watch was lifted earlier this evening.

23. Ili

Natural disasters can't be controlled by us but I believe that it can be relieved when it happens. Let's hope that the US and the rest of the world would react immediately providing aid to these people. For the rest, we can only pray...

24. Dodie

Devna AC360° I certainly hope we can send aid to Haiti. Of all the countries in the world, this one certainly needs our help!

January 12, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  25. Jeffrey Philippe

In dire times...one wonders wat can GOD do, or what can Praying really do. I mean 4 back to back storms that killed over 3000 people, torrential rain, not to mention UN so called peacekeeping forces constantly stealing our ressources..and now a 7.0 earthquake...If this is not the end of my beloved island..i dont know what is...

January 12, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  26. A. Smith, Oregon

CNN has repeatedly shown a toll free number to call in regards to a relative or associate if they are a survivor or not.

January 12, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  27. Teri Pierre

Waiting to hear from two boys that were already parentless age 10 and 6 years old. Please pray.

January 12, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  28. Regine

I cannot believe a country could be so unlucky! Please understand that this country was never like this. It used to be a beautiful island. I don't think people understand how haitians suffer over there...

January 12, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  29. Dorothy

I just left Haiti yesterday. I cannot believe this just happened. My thoughts and prayers with everyone there.

January 12, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  30. J. Aspinall

Anderson-Please remind people that they can donate to the Red Cross NOW to support aid efforts. The American Red Cross has already released $200,000 to help. Every little bit helps. Thanks!

January 12, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Sue Ferguson

Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this earthquake. I have full confidence that the world will respond with outreached hands, offering help where needed.

January 12, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  32. David @ Oswego, IL

Mr. Cooper and 360 Team: Thank you for being there and covering the Haiti story. Great guests! Facebook and Twitter are the lifelines for family, friends and news outlets throughout the World but are bogged down right now!

January 12, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  33. becca

just want to knoe what happen at kenscoff, laboule,thomassin?
    cause we cant get anything

January 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  34. steven j davis

my heart goes out to the people of haiti. we as americans have to step it up and provide help to the people of haiti. please donate to the redcross or any other reliable organizations.

January 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  35. Gilliane

Listening to Wyclef on 360. This show is extremely important right now. Thanks for the constant updates and media vigilance.

January 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Vince

Anderson – safe travels as you make your way to Port au Prince.

January 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Kate

It's sad to hear about the earthquake in Haiti, I'm wondering if there is much damage in the Dominican Republic? I have not heard anything about that side of the island. Thanks.

January 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  38. debbie

thank you ffor cover this story and sharing everything my family is sayin many prayers for everyone tonight

January 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  39. Emi

The hardest thing for me now, is not knowing if my husband is ok, along with other family members. I am so devestated and shaken. Haiti is poorest in nation but so rich in spirit. What a great shock!

January 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  40. Paul Hubbeling

The latest report was that the US government has yet been able to reach the Haitian government. Let's hope we do not wait till day break to send help. I hope we learned something from Katrina.

January 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  41. Gerry

Hi
    I just heard from my sister who says that the cell phone co. building was heavily damaged and there is no land line service. She is 84 miles north of Port au Prince and felt aftershocks there at around 9pm

January 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  42. Josh

Hope &pray for all the people in Haiti. Can this be contributed to global warming what with the rise in these natural disasters...

January 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  43. Devna AC360°

@FJ – The entire situation in Haiti remains to be seen, including whether or not aid can reach those in need.

January 12, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  44. Susan

I am so saddened by this devastated earthquake in Haiti. My prayers are with Haiti and the people who are suffering. Thank You Anderson for covering this story.

January 12, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  45. kathleen

Is there a site where names of people are posted when found....alive or deceased?
    An Owensboro Ky Doctor volunteering, landed 4 hours before the quake. We are looking for Dr Robert Dalzell.

January 12, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  46. Tom Pearce

Guatemalans enjoyed temporary protected status after hurricanes, Eastern Europeans during civil wars, it is time to grant TPS for Haitans in the USA. i

January 12, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  47. k Dupre

I am seeing pictures from RDI in Canada which showed the national palace and other ereas where people were pulling out from the rumble.

January 12, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  48. micheka

Still havent heard from my mom and family in Haiti.I cant get in touch.I dont know what to do anymore.

January 12, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  49. Rose Denize

My sister is a US citizen working in Haiti with Save the Children. Her work location was in the Montana hotel. We have heard any news, her name is Michele Beauvoir-Chandler. Is there a website I can go to, to find family members.

January 12, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  50. A. Smith, Oregon

Given the likely scope of disaster, it would be refreshing if nations other than America and American taxpayers helped to rebuild Haiti.

January 12, 2010 at 10:19 pm |