January 12th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/12/10

We have breaking developments on the earthquake in Haiti. The U.S. State Department has been told to expect a "huge loss of life." Witness in the Haitian capital have reported heavy damage and dead bodies in the streets.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

We

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Marie Andrée Bellabe

Haiti is a country mostly populated by Christian, God Believers we will pull trough... Remain in prayers. God is Good.

January 12, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  2. Jeffrey Philippe

Hi, Anderson Cooper

I have been following the news, and i am from Haiti. I can honestly tell you i have lived there most of my life, and the thoughts of earthquake there are uncommon. Ask any haitian about earthquake, first thing that comes to mind is movies and california.

January 12, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  3. john harrison

Having recently finished my tour in Haiti after 5 years. I have many friends and collegues there that I cannot reach tonight and find it very difficult to watch what is going on and not being able to do anything.

John Harrison

4. Lucina

Hi, Anderson what a good human you areneed help to find my friend's mother (Adrienne Mayard) in Damas unable to reach her wish I could do more for Haiti I am praying a lot tonight. especially for Mme Adrienne

5. Lori Tugwell

Anderson
    We have a son in Petionville in an orphanage – our adoption is almost complete – only awaiting a VISA. No one can be reached to find out if he is OK. Please help.
    I urge the US government to allow adopted children to come home to the US on some kind of temporary VISA while the situation in Haiti is resolving. Please pass on this message so that kids can be cared for – we have already lost one son during our adoption!
    Thank you.
    Lori Tugwell of Siloam Springs, AR

6. Sarah

I am watching CNN and hearing reports that Hotel Montana has collapse. I have spoken to a UN staff member who confirmed that the main bldg of the Hotel Montana has actually collapse but there are other parts of the hotel that are ok. My mom is one of the UN staff member and we have confirmation that she is ok and is currently at Hotel Montana. My prayers goes out to the UN staff and all people of Haiti tonight.

Sarah

7. kathie

I was in Haiti in 2000 as a missionary nurse. Are there any groups who will help those of us who want to go and help?

8. Mads Højgaard, Copenhagen, Denmark

Having a close friend and her young daughter in Port-au-Prince, I am following the CNN news coverage with intense attention. No contact possible from here to Haiti, I lit a light for my two friends there.

Thanks for being a lifeline in this situation.

9. Stuart

What is the Dominican Republic government doing to help? The Haitian government is clearly incapacitated, including the Presidential palace.

Relief workers can enter through many Domincan Republic airports tomorrow if PAP pis closed.

Time for Americans to find a reputable charity and give to help.

Prayers for the lost and for the living.

10. Sabine

Good Evening everyone,
    does anyone know of any volunteer organizations going down to Haiti? I am willing to go and assist in the recovery aid

11. Terry

The reporting about this EQ has now been going on since 5 p.m. EST. If there is any relief ongoing, they could have flown down there and back by now. Can't relief planes land or what?

12. Dodie

My heart goes out to everyone in the country. No one can even imagine the poverty there! You would have to see it in order to even believe it. The people are so kind. Their struggle omnipresent

13. Jay

I'm a reporter from Jamaica, just letting you guys know that we also felt a tremor ... quite scary and it lasted for quite a while. But, unlike other quakes, it was more of a swaying sensation rather than shaking.

14. Lisa

Anderson , Please tell Wyclef his Warriors are up, and ready to help! Thank you!

15. Lydia

Haiti is such a poor country already. Thank God the USA will help them in this devasting crisis...

16. Brenda Haase

So sad. Please pray for this country and it's people who so desperately need it right now.

17. Jen

Anderson,

Glad to hear that you will be going to Haiti. From what I heard, the road from the DR to Haiti is not too bad. We are anxiouly awaiting your reports -Jen

18. nancy medina

Anderson thank you for your willingness to go to Haiti. God bless and keep you safe. My husband is a firefighter/paramedic for L.A. City fire dept. and is also in the National guard. His main objective with the military is to go when a disaster (such as this) has occured. So far no word from either the Fire dept. or the military concerning any deployment to Haiti. WHY NOT??????? How long do people have to wait???? Haiti is in my prayers as you Anderson are also. Thank You Anderson and all who travel with you.

19. Renee

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Haiti and those going in support of their recovery.

20. Matthew Revier

With all the has been happening here in the US, it pales in comparison to Haiti. Now that they have experienced this massive earthquake, lets hope we can show our true spirit and aid our fellow man.

21. Heather

What's the chance of a tsunami?

Thinking of people in the rubble....that's what will keep me up tonight.

22. Wayne

I know alot of people working at the Hotel as I have been there a number of times. I am deeply concerned for my friends and people I care about!

23. A. Smith, Oregon

What's wrong with Puerto Rico, Cuba and the other Caribbean nations from coming together in a joint rescue and rebuilding effort? They are neighbors and have mass amounts of people and machinery to help?

January 12, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  24. Brandi Hicks

The earthquake is terrible!!
    I would like to know how I can get involved to help with this disaster or others that may come....I am not sure where to look, can you assist the viewers in finding ways we may be able to volunteer or help in some way.
    Thank you!!

January 12, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  25. Pascale Duroseau

I am a Haitian-American physician who just did a mission in Haiti in October who would know who to call to go and help. I speak Creole and French.

January 12, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  26. Linda Kirsch

I have received 2 emails from my friend in Les Cayes. She has no contact with her family in PaP and is very scared.

January 12, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  27. Jane - Vt

Good evening everyone.

January 12, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  28. Jeffrey

This news is very devastating. I have family who live in Haiti, and just hoping for the best for them right now.

January 12, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hello Devna,
    Nice see you on blog! Thank you for information from Haiti. I hope they would have save their lives right away, I agree with you.

January 12, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  30. WendyWand

I hope help is sent fast to help the people of Haiti.

January 12, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  31. Miki Byers

I know Haiti is the big issue, but also on the same island and on the same fault line is punta cana, dominican republic. I have family along with several thousand Americans there vacationing. I was curious if there's any damage or if people felt this huge earthquake there also.

January 12, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  32. Joyce Gilpin

Anderson,
    Could you please ask about my sister. She is a missionary there for 10 years. Her name is Judy Foster she lives in Cayes but was in Port au Prince at 3pm. Can you help me find her?
    Joyce Gilpin

January 12, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  33. Dominique

As a Haitian American with extensive family and friends in Haiti, I am deeply concern about the aftermath of this terrible earthquake. How are they going to survive? How is everyone there going to survive? The roads are blocked, there is no electricity, no water and therefore, no food. I am also concerned about diseases. If there is a time when we need help, this is it.

January 12, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  34. Wayne

Can anyone tell me if a hotel Auberge du Quebec located in Carrefour has been significally damaged by the earthquake!

January 12, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  35. Chris

Please- does anyone have any information about the Port-au-prince airport. I have relatives that were in it during the earthquake. Thank you.

January 12, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  36. Benet

still have not been able to reach my family in port au prince

January 12, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  37. Barry

US will provide aid to Haiti

January 12, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  38. Virginia

Please, is there any way I can help?

January 12, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  39. Marlon - Massachusetts

Is there a group that is taking volunteers to help out in Haiti? I don't have money to donate but I can give my time and skills.

January 12, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  40. Peg - Wisconsin

What about that ship – USNS Comfort? Where are they located? How fast can they get there?

January 12, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  41. Marie Andrée Bellabe

Haiti is a Beloved country "We All Haitians are Ready to go HELP"..

January 12, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  42. Dodie

I believe that hotel is the one that overlooks the city. It was a very beautiful place

January 12, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  43. Karl

Prayers from Nova Scotia .....

January 12, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  44. patrick

my thoughts and prayers are with everyone in haiti and those who are helping with the recovery of trapped people. this is very tragic and i believe they will come out of this a stronger and united group.

January 12, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  45. Lisa L

Good evening Anderson,

I hope the people affected by the earthquake receive support and there is a positive change in the weather.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

January 12, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  46. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, everyone. This is devastating news. My thoughts and prayers too are with the people of Haiti. The damage from this quake must be much worse than the damage caused by the 2008 hurricanes. I have heard that the countryside is peaceful, is that due to lack of communication (phones, media)? Is the damage confined mostly to Port au Prince?

January 12, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

FJ Levy,
    Yes, They have equipment to move derbis to find people who are trapped in the building.....

January 12, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  48. A. Smith, Oregon

A lot of suffering when a survivor is a victim to a mass amount of trauma to their arms, legs or chest and pinned down by rubble. My heart goes out to those temporary survivors.

January 12, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  49. Emily Naumovski

Yes, part of the Montana Hotel has collapsed. We have staff members there and they have confirmed that part of it is destroyed. Not sure of the extent of the damage though. Please keep them in your prayers.

January 12, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  50. Emily

@michael armstrong sr,

When was the last time that you were there?
    I've never been there, however, heard that it's quite beautiful!

I hope that the machinery that they require gets there asap!

January 12, 2010 at 10:13 pm |