January 11th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/11/10

Tonight on 360°, race and politics. Democratic Sen. Harry Reid comes under fire for racial comments he made during the 2008 presidential campaign. Plus, a confession from former major league baseball star Mark McGwire. Plus, see how a dog raised the alarm when California got hit by an earthquake.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Caroline, Los Angeles

Cats could never indicate a quake because cats get squirrely crazy over anything. Mine do that at least once a day--go dippy over nothing. But I still love them. 🙂

January 11, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  2. D to the P

Ahahahahahahah! That dog was moving! Didn't even try to warn his owner, just wanted to save himself.

3. Emily

great blog too! 😛

4. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night!

5. A. Smith, Oregon

Birds, Dogs and Cats are very attuned, that video is outstanding in showing the dog figuring out what a long frequency signal is telling him and as it grew louder, running away from the source deep underground moving to the surface. Ancient Chinese noticed a similar effect on birds.

6. starr formerly known as vincent

As a matter of eithic, i think Mgwire's (sp) batting record should be expunged. He was a hero to many kids.

Good night Anderson & Team 360, excellent show tonight.

Good night fellow blogges-blazing hot blog tonight and i learned a lot!

Yes, animals can often tell if earthquakes are coming. There have been studies on this for years. Some people can tell too.

7. David Rankin

While everyone is discussing Senator Reid's comments, I'm more interested in Bill Clinton's racial statements to Senator Kennedy. His (Clinton) seem more racial to me. At least Reid told the truth about the attitudes of some Americans.

8. Darrell Swanger

Obama was elected president because the majority of voters believed him to be the most qualified to lead this country. Give the voters the credit making their decison based on this.

9. Saera El Paso, TX

good night everyone

January 11, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  10. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Good night everyone! Good night Anderson! Good night David (Indiana)!

Great show today! Thanks!

11. Maureen T., Mississauga, Canada

Good night Andy! Great show! Rest easy.

12. Emily

Have a great night Anderson, 360Team, Megan, Martina, & Bloggers.

A great show tonight! 🙂

look forward to more with the authors! 🙂

13. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I've lived in CA since I was born and I can verify that some animals start acting out when a quake is coming. I've seen it over and over.

14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson!
    I agree with you! that will good book to read this!!!!! 🙂 I hope I can all buy books after blog!
    That's so horrible to see this 14 yrs girl and her niece hit by car!!!!! that's so scary!!!! YIKES!

Good night Anderson, Megan, Ed Henry, David Gergen, Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    See you tomorrow night!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    Day of the shot with Dog jumped by earthquake! LOL!!! Awwww! 🙂 Awesome shot!
    Anderson,
    Have a great night, good sleep at home after work!!!! See you tomorrow night!!! Have a plenty sleep! 😀

January 11, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  15. Karen, MN

Good night! Dogs are so smart.

January 11, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  16. Caroline, Los Angeles

They say that animals can feel the micro tremors before a quake.

January 11, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  17. Doug

Anderson, your show tonight pretty much confirms what we all suspected, that is, that there is definitely a double standard for democrats and republicans when it comes to comments such as those by Sen. Harry Reid. Your guest commentator, Roland, pretty much sums it up when he admits there is a double standard, then goes on to say that such comments should be judged on the record of those making the statements. He implies that Sen. Harry Reid is good at heart, but Sen. Trent Lott was not, therefore Sen. Reids comments are acceptable. Problem is, who is to judge the heart of someone making a comment. It appears that democrats want to be the judge and jury in these cases...however I submit that such comments are either racist or not, regardless of the source.

January 11, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  18. LisaL - Canada

animals are unbelievably perceptive to energy - we could all take a few cues from the animal kingdom and community

January 11, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  19. Lisa A., Philadelphia, PA

interesting show ... good night everyone.

January 11, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  20. Joseph Oroza

I think that this book Game Change is an abomination. To bring all this negative nasty issues that yes, they may be true or exagerated, but we don't need this type of distraction at a time when we are trying to put the country back together. We need to focus on health care, unemployment, foreclosures, economy and so on not on this nonsense gossip that is just destructive. This two writers are just a pair of greedy, money grubbing low lives and all they care is about themselves and making a buck. It is disgraceful! How low and unpatriotic!! They make me sick!!!

January 11, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  21. Saera El Paso, TX

awesome dog.

!

January 11, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  22. Emily

I hope that Palin doesn't get the rights to a Jimi Hendrix song for her theme! (please!, don't ruin Jimi!)

January 11, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  23. Maureen T., Mississauga, Canada

Leno should pass the baton to O'Brien and sail off into the sunset! 🙂

January 11, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  24. Whitney, Southfield, MI

McGuire denied steroid use for so long he should have just kept quiet .

January 11, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  25. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Seems like everyone's apologizing these days...is this the start of a new trend in 2010? Hmmm.

January 11, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  26. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@ Jessica Yellin

You look great in the Bulletin! Welcome!

January 11, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  27. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Why do people insist on crossing in the middle of the street at night? I see quite a bit of that where I am. I've been startled more than once, closer than I'd like to be to hitting someone.

Add McGwire to a long list of morally bankrupt sports celebrities with no ethical code and no integrity. Great lesson for his kids, don't you think?

January 11, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Steve – southern Illinois,

"This Game Change book is interesting. But it's the past and is distracting the media away from health care reform, the economy, and the war on terror."

I agree 100%, but it is an election year so this is the type of stuff they do to deliberately distract voters from what is really important.

January 11, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  29. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I knew it! I knew it! Baseball, may never be the same!

January 11, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  30. jdoug

Oh pleeze McGwire!! If your so sorry give back all the money and benifits you have enjoyed since taking the steroids!

January 11, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  31. A. Smith, Oregon

I'm not surprised over Mark McGwire admitting to steroid use. If anyone out there recalls, he failed a test and blamed it on a nature store supplement which created a steroid compound in the body several years ago.

January 11, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  32. Dave

McGwire needed to admit this years ago!

January 11, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  33. Emily

There's a surprise!
    Palin on Fox!
    Can you hear the jokes yet?

January 11, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  34. Caroline, Los Angeles

Hit and run in L.A. They happen much too often. Just today heading home on surface streets I saw some crazy person weaving and dodging in suburban traffic for no good reason. So many careless drivers here. I can't dial 911 fast enough when I see them-they zoom by and they are gone.

January 11, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  35. Lori

Too bad about .
    McGuire. I have heard that all of the players take supplements to enhance strength and size. They are so large in stature, I can't believe that they all just grew up that way.

January 11, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  36. Stephanie

That hit and run was insane! I wonder where that car came from so fast though- if they didn't see it comming? I hope they find who did that and continued on.. wow ! that is just horrible!!!!

January 11, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  37. Kellie

Have we forgotten that President Obama is bi-racial. He is just as much white as he is black.

January 11, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  38. Maureen T., Mississauga, Canada

Maybe all the baseball players who used steriods should come clean...

January 11, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  39. Emily

Why did so many of the concerns get over-looked by of this terrorist?!

It seems that Many had concerns!

January 11, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  40. Tillie

I totally agree Stephanie!

January 11, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  41. A. Smith, Oregon

Woaw, 40' tossed into the air! That is a heavy impact on those people.

January 11, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  42. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@Emily

I totally agree ... The backstage surrounding an election is better than any soap opera... lol...

January 11, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  43. Emily

@Claus,

No Soledad said "Michelle Obama" when she was talking!

That she believes that Michelle has been a great role model for younger 'darker skinned' girls...very positive and comfortable in her skin...

January 11, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  44. Alex Valiao (Aliso Viejo, Ca)

A lot of topics to comment upon. I can't keep up but I can definitely watch. 'Game Change' is very interesting & intriguing. I need to reserve a day to read it. Nite! 🙂

January 11, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

McGwire needs to do some jail time for lying to the committee and wasting taxpayer money.

January 11, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  46. Saera El Paso, TX

I agree Lisa, bad puns are rather fun aren't they?

January 11, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  47. A. Smith, Oregon

It'll be refreshing to hear the report regarding all the missed signals and reports on Maj. Hassan, that blasts Maj. Hassan's superiors. In my opinion Lt. Gen. Robert Cone as Fort Hood's base commander was aware of those signals and reports.

January 11, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  48. Angie

Not surprised by Senator Reid's comment. However I did not take offense, because Senator Reid statement is true.

I am Black, have lived in Southern California most of my life, and believe it or not I am rebuffed by Caucasian people at least once per week. I have been contacted for several job interviews I do my best to request a telephone interview prior to an in person interview. I was recently mystified at a recent in person interview when the interviewer stated "you are not what I expected." Now when called for an in person interview, I will advise the person that I am Black before scheduling the appointment. It makes everyone feel more comfortable. I reside in a mixed area, near CNN, and did not personally meet with the Caucasian tenants that occupy my property until one year after closing on the sale. Americans will always judge persons by the color of their skin as race is the only standard where Caucasians have a competitive edge. That job . . . it was filled by a Blonde without an MBA or a JD.

January 11, 2010 at 10:52 pm |