January 11th, 2010

Evening Buzz: Sen. Reid Under Fire

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/POLITICS/01/11/reid.obama/t1larg.jpg caption="Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nevada, has found himself in political hot water over remarks he made about Barack Obama in 2008." width=300 height=169]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has apologized for his comments in 2008 of then candidate Barack Obama as a "light-skinned" African-American with no Negro dialect" and now he wants to move on.

The comment was published in the new book "Game Change," which went on sale today.

But several Republicans, including the chairman of the RNC Michael Steele, don't agree with Reid. They want him to step down.

"The thing about it that's interesting is that when Democrats get caught saying racist things you know, an apology is enough. If that had been Mitch McConnell (current Senate GOP Leader) saying that about an African-American candidate for President of the U.S., trust me, this Chairman and the DNC would be screaming for his head very much as they were with Trent Lott," Steele said on NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday.

Trent Lott was forced to step down as Senate Majority Leader in 2002 after saying the nation would have been better off if voters had elected Strom Thurmond President in 1948, who at the time supported segregation.

Do you think Reid should step down? Share your thoughts below.

Pres. Obama has come to Reid's defense.

"This is a good man who's always been on the right side of history. For him to have used some inartful language in trying to praise me, and for people to try to make hay out of that makes absolutely no sense. He apologized, recognizing that he didn't use appropriate language, but there was nothing mean-spirited in what he had to say and he's always been on the right side of the issues, " Pres. Obama told CNN's Roland Martin this afternoon.

Tonight we'll talk with the authors of "Game Change", Mark Halperin and John Heilemann. They offer insight on Reid's comments and reveal secrets from the 2008 campaign trail. Hear how Pres. Obama talked Hillary Clinton into taking the Secretary of State job, how former Pres. Bill Clinton tried to get Sen. Ted Kennedy's to endorse his wife's campaign and more.

On the terror front, CNN's Paula Newton has an exclusive report from Yemen. She talked with the anguished father of Anwar al-Awlaki, who says his son is an all-American boy and not the new Osama bin Laden. But we have new information tonight about just how important a player al-Awlaki is for al Qaeda in Yemen, including his ties to the Christmas bomb plot in the skies over Detroit.

Join us for these stories and much more starting at 10 p.m. ET. See you then!

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Devin

When can we stop flinging mud at fellow Americans who messed up and even had the president say get over what he said...Not to sound raceist but the longer you stick on this insignifgant 'issuie' the worse the real problems well be when this whole thing is over..I mean,education,economy,wars,national securety, and our crumbling goverment!-High five Barbara we need a goverment not an other TMZ!

January 12, 2010 at 8:23 am |
  2. blu

far as im concern in this day and age nobody shouldn't be even saying anything remotely racist espeically elected officals cause when it comes down to racist stereotypes in the U.S. theirs a lot of mix felling and reactions ,and when its coming from (people who want are votes, who shake are hands, kiss are babies, come to are towns, make speehes on how they can change things and why they're the right person for the job) its applauing to me cause when i hear something like this it's like everything that they said is a lie just to get votes and into office, so the question becomes will that person really help me or harm me? plus it's 2010 i think their's others problems people should be debating bout then race, but this just show that their's still a long way to go, cause if you dont want to vote for me cause im a darker complextion how can we get more black faces in higher places then. People are still jugdeing us on looks and actions then what we know,that can hender alot of us cause it's a statement that says no matter what you have accommpish in your life you still might not get that fair shake on life cause you are darker then most, which is just plain dumb.

January 12, 2010 at 7:08 am |
  3. Elisabeth

I really feel like this is getting blown out to the extreme.americans dont care about this.people are trying to get their jobs back.Reid said sorry and obama forgave him,put the Reid story behind and focus on whats more important.help people get out of this "so called recession"
    im only 19 years old and tired of seeing story after story and they put all their energy in it but when it comes to people losing their homes,jobs.its blown to the side.something needs to be done!.

January 12, 2010 at 6:29 am |
  4. Marti Hokans

How many racial and otherwise inappropriate comments did Jesse Helms make over the course of his career - out loud, into microphones, in front of God & everybody - and where was all this Republican outrage then?

January 12, 2010 at 6:17 am |
  5. SuAnn

I am a black American female and I don't find the word "Negro" offensive. I know that truth can hurt and I feel that Reid spoke the truth but wrong choice of words I feel that it was not said with a bad spirit and I truly feel that he regrets using those words . I feel that his age has alot to do with poor choice of words where black is concern .I was a token black in a company back in 1968 and my manager was elderly and was always saying things to me that was truly racial. I would go home and tell my mother and she would tell me that he is just using bad choices of words and not meaning them to hurt me. I can say that he did treated me well and was praising me to my co-workers and his bosses. I stayed with that company for 32 years. Let us get past this diversion and let us work together to make this a better nation.

January 12, 2010 at 5:52 am |
  6. joann

there is much more to concentrate on than racism.....living in alaska diversity doesnt seem to be a problem, but its not a perfect world obvisously, i visited in lousiana in 08, i never experienced racism with such intesinty, i felt very weird to be around such immature criticism against each other.....wow grow up people and wake up.....we are united under god one people......peace be with you

January 12, 2010 at 5:42 am |
  7. ty

this issue has tunnel vision,we are all judged by our looks.ronald reagan a movie star.remember dukakis in army tank

January 12, 2010 at 5:31 am |
  8. MIke

I just Googled 'United African-American College Fund'.... What came up? United Negro College Fund. No such thing as United African-American College Fund. Then I Googled 'National Association for the Advancement of African-American People. Yep you guessed it...no such Organization.... only the National Association of the Advancement of Colored People. If 'Negro' and "Colored' are currently so politically incorrect, why are those two very significant organizations still using them? I am curious to learn just how many generations have passed since the the average African-American's ancestor's arrived to the US. I am a second generation American...my Grandparents were born in Italy. I would never consider referring to my self as "Italian-American. Refer to an American-Indian as a "Red-man" and you have problems. Yet "Red" Aurbauch" was one of the most loved and admired Coaches in the NBA. "Whitey" Ford... no offense take by His family. General "Black-Jack" Pershing? Well you get my point. No wonder so many "white" people get frustrated with all this current rhetoric about "Harry Reid".... the media seems to be culpable in fostering this inflammatory subject too.

January 12, 2010 at 5:27 am |
  9. George bertges

None of u r being honest!!! What about all the rappers with bigger this and bigger that!!!

January 12, 2010 at 5:10 am |
  10. Ramb.

Although the subject area is a bit of a taboo for most persons, Reid's words bring to the fore an area of concern for a large percent of black persons and dark toned persons of all races. It is a given that lighter toned individuals from most races/groups (Blacks, Indians, Latinos etc) are often seen as more beautiful. Similarly, the probability of obtaining employment in some upscale establishments or placement in some schools, sororities or neighborhoods increases the lighter ones shade/tone. This probability further increases if one's speech is not punctuated with slangs or colloquials, especially in formal settings.

Whether or not Reid comments were acerbic, or just a plain admission of a perceived fact (Obama's skin tone makes him light enough to be accepted by whites and dark enough to be considered as black. The same is the case for his adaptable speech patterns) is the issue to be determined.

Should Sen. Reid be forced to resign? Sorry, I am not at liberty to say as I don't have a vote. LOL (^_*)

January 12, 2010 at 4:58 am |
  11. Tabot

it's true as to what he said, lets not play politics and act like he said Obama was too black to be president. I'm a Negro and always will be.

January 12, 2010 at 4:48 am |
  12. Angela

Why can't we accept the man's apology and the decision of our president to move on with the more important things we have on our national plate of current issues. The racial issue will not be erradicated until it is bred out. I am a colored, Negro, black, Afro-American, African-American woman who was born in Washington DC in 1942. I have two degrees and I speak two languages depending on the social circle in which I find myself. My languages are English and Ebonics. The only thing that Reed is guilty of is maturity. The younger generations are looking at us saying, What the H***? Get over it and get back to the issues at hand.

January 12, 2010 at 4:10 am |
  13. J.V.Hodgson

How can you compare MR Lotts comment of "Segregation of the whole of the African American community" with words about one individual who at the time (writing) was A senator and the person it was made about may not have even made it to be President!?
    Either way the "INDIVIDUAL SO CALLED INSULTED" has accepted what I consider a needless apology anyway.
    The GOP as usual more interested in scandal and gossip than running a country for the benefit of all of the people among whom are African Americans but not all of them!!
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

January 12, 2010 at 3:26 am |
  14. Robert HDK

Reid didn't do anything wrong
    No man/woman shall be perfect or should be expected to be. We are human, we make mistakes, we must forgive in order to grow.

This subject is extremely sensitive lately, all americans are too sensitive from our past, the wound is deep, but we all need to allow it to heal and move on already.
    Currently we all live in a civilized "society", a way of life that is being threatened by those that do not understand it or have it and are living and probably planning evil in thier uncivilized "societies". There are terror societies wanting to destroy all of our futures regardless of our color, while we sit and bicker with each other about the tones of skins and the proper english literature to express how your eyes see it!

Dammit America- Time to grow up and shed our old skin!
    Time to defend our great country that we the people of America love so much and defend our children and thier futures as a nation!

January 12, 2010 at 3:02 am |
  15. Ashlie Schurter

Ifeel Senator Reid was expressing the truth about society. I am a light skinned mulatto who is well spoken like Barack Obama. My friends always say that I am white just because I am well spoken and excel in college. I don't think that Harry Reid meant to convey that was his reason for supporting Obama.

January 12, 2010 at 2:23 am |
  16. Mark

Let's be real, as a light skin man without Negro dialect my opportunities to succeed in the US are much greater than dark skin men with Negro dialects. America is soooo not ready to talk about race, this is merely politics, and the GOP is pathetic and has pulled out all the stops to sabotage the process this administration is making.

January 12, 2010 at 2:23 am |
  17. Paul

As a Canadian, it seems to me that the bottom line is that the US voted in a black President. That is all that matters. Move on.

January 12, 2010 at 2:12 am |
  18. odera

come on folks lets face facts.....these republicans should please leave Obama alone,the young president has a whole lot on his books and does not need all these distraction...Health care please thats all I ask for!

January 12, 2010 at 2:02 am |
  19. Bruce D Hall Sr

I Feel That The Republicans, Are Just Starting Up Thing Too Stop Heath Care.Steal Is Just Trying Too Say Thing , To Make His Party Look Good, But It Will Take A Lot MoreThen This, To Make His Party Strong Again. Lott Said Something That You Can't Take Back.What
    Harry Reid Said Is Nothing Like What Lott Said.I Was Watching Cnn Tonight, And One Person Said That Reid Should Step Down, I Say Sen Reid, Should Say And Let's Get Heath Care Done. I Am From
    A Mix's Race. And I Think At My Age, (53)Growing Up You Can Tell If The Person Is Trying To Hurt You With Words. Sen Reid Did Not Mean Anything Of The Kind. The People That Say He Was,Like Mr Seal Should Stop.

January 12, 2010 at 1:37 am |
  20. Jame

He should step down. The dems called for Trent Lott to step down for a comment like that. A few weeks ago he compared the republicans to those that opposed ending slavery. Democrats were the ones that held up civil rights legislation. It is funny to me to hear all of these black people defend him when they would call for the head of any republican that said the same thing. Losing credibilty by the second!

January 12, 2010 at 1:35 am |
  21. Alex

I don't think Sen.Reid should step down. Primarily because he is telling the truth. "Light-skinned" black people tend to be percieved as less hostile, more inclined to succeed in a chosen field. The reason for this interestingly enough is mainly due to the mainstream media. As children we as black and latino people are inadvertently taught from T.V., books, magazines and all other forms of entertainment and/ or information that dark is bad, and ugly. Where as light is beautiful and pure. Even in "Black magazines" you see ad after ad for hair relaxers. Why? Because nappy your hair the less likely you are to be viewed "professional" the media and entertainment industry as a whole has successfuly brainwashed our people into believing that we should be ashamed of who we are. To top it off they have a conversation about it.

January 12, 2010 at 1:31 am |
  22. Zanetta

I believe that this issue just brings racism back into the forefront, as an African American instructor at a predominantantly white school I believe issues like this are teachable ones. While , I believe the context of what was said was racist I do believe it takes comments like this to raise awareness on those taboo issues of racism . There is clearly a discrimnation among African Americans regarding skin color and it is clealry an impact from slavery and also today's media. While, I do not think the senator should step down I do believe that we need to keep addressing this issue until possible solutions can be discussed, we have young African American children who are impacted by skin discrimnation internally and externally everyday as illustrated in the documentary "A Girl Like Me"....

January 12, 2010 at 1:27 am |
  23. Caroline Fox

Regarding Harry Reid and this circus regarding his comments, there has always been a race isuue, hopefully with Obama as President we can begin to put this behind us. Harry Reid spoke the truth, it was not a racist comment by any means. If we want to talk about racial profiling.. why is it every time I fill in a form at a dentist, or doctors office, or even my children's school, there's a box to tick as to whether I'm Caucasian, African American, Hispanic, etc. Why on earth does this matter, we're all American. Is a black person's dental records so different from mine, a white person, I voted for Barack Obama, because he was the most intelligent and articulate candidate and I beleived in his values.

January 12, 2010 at 1:22 am |
  24. Ben

There is a double standard. However, Senator Reid's comments point out a truth about the function of race in American politics.

January 12, 2010 at 1:15 am |
  25. evan caplan

I am so sick about this. Sen Reid did not say anything that was untrue! Nor were his remarks demeaning or meant in a negative way. Those that
    are opposing his words are either people from another party who would oppose ANYTHING he said, even if it would save their
    own mothers life. Only because he is a member of "the other party".
    In addition, if the person opposing these remarks is black, it is my thought that they are living in
    the past,and are still angry about the past. I AM TOO!

(and I am white but I am also "color blind").

Not that everything is perfert now,it certainly isn't.
    but things are much better than they were and I think
    they are definitly moving in the right direction. I think that some people
    are totally too negitive and sensitive and that they need to get over it so we can ALL move on and improve our society.
    I don't give a damn if you are black, white, green or purple, GROW UP!
    We can all be one. Let's make it happen.

January 12, 2010 at 1:08 am |
  26. Sheila - Las Vegas

I am a 75 year old white female, raised on Chicago's North Shore. As a child I was taught that it was polite to refer to a black man as a Negro. That was in the '40's. It was not polite or nice to use the N.... word – that was the word that was bad & demeaning. I think that Senator Reid was not trying to being direspectful, he just said it on the spur of the moment, & it just shows his age. I am so glad that President Obama can rise above this. Once again, the president is showing the children of the United States (black or white) the mature & adult way to behave. He is a great example for all our kids.

January 12, 2010 at 12:36 am |
  27. Esther-Boricua

Soledad is a bit optimistic to say that FIrst Lady Michelle has changed our country's perception of beauty. Generations of "the lighter the better" cannot be changed overnight.....I am glad we have an example of a beuatiful black woman who happens to be darker than Halle or Jay-lo.

January 11, 2010 at 11:52 pm |
  28. Henry

If we really want to understand the subtle root of racism give some thought to the following questions.

What would happen if people would sit in churches throughout the world for centuries with the image of an African American man as savior of the world before them?

What would this do to the mind of the world's children?

What would happen to the world's children put under a figure of a particular race presented, pitable, and in pain " the Savior of all men"?

January 11, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  29. Esther-Boricua

Reid spoke the truth.....He is not a racist...just a liitle behind the times in his choice of words but the truth is the truth. Our society has pushed the value of "the lighter the better" and Reid is right...If Pres. Obama had been a darker-skinned man with a more pronounced "black" accent...he would probably not have even made it to become a senator.. As a light-skinned Puerto Rican, I kow my darker skinned family and friends have struggled with even more racism than I have. especially if they have a heavier Spanish accent.

January 11, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  30. Karen, Charlotte, NC

Cassandra Kendrick January 11th, 2010 10:39 pm ET

How right you are about inauguration day. I was there with my then 16 yo son and the feeling there that day was like nothing I've felt. It was great, everyone there regardless of race, gender, etc was there as an American. Boy if we can get past race and get to that place on a daily basis, that woudl be great for us as a nation.

January 11, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  31. Teresa Savoy

Sen. Reid may have been in poor taste,but yet face it he spoke the truth. If President Obama was Dark skinned and spoke broken english or even slang, he would have not gotten far. Being a black female Thier have been many time when I have gotten hirer over the phone, but when I came face to face with the person, the position just became filled, every day life in America...

January 11, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  32. Olga, TX

I am a 58 year old African American woman and I was not offended by what Mr. Reid said.

Harry Reid meant no harm and he spoke the truth. Most African Americans have already spoken this truth and most have lived with this issue all of our lives.

The problem is Michael Steele, he was selected for his position in order to divide and conquer. The GOP could not care less about Michael Steele; he is the means to an end, a mouth piece that they need to keep up a divide and it looks better coming from an African American than from a White Republican.

President Obama won because America was ready for a Change and it took Blacks, Whites, Latinos, Asians, and Native Americans. The bottom line is, it took decent Americans to get him elected and the people that keep the race issue alive are the Republicans. They are the racist and haters, not Harry Reid. Mr. Reid should not resign and I hope and pray he does not let the Republicans pressure him. Stay strong Mr Reid!

January 11, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  33. Nan

Senator Reid's comment were absolutely the truth. It is just the use of the word "Negro" that had bad connotations. Watch your own behavior in your neighborhoods, at work, and watching television shows.

Senator Reid's work in the Senate lets us know where the man really stands.

January 11, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  34. Roy

Yes, I find Sen, Reid words peculiar and especially his phraseology using the idea of Obama, a a black politician, not speaking with a "Negro voice."

However, as a recently retired public school teacher of Social Studies who taught with black colleagues and taught a large black population in a large suburban school district, I have two distinct memories and comments to share:

1. Black teacher colleagues readily admitted they purposely chose to us their "black voice";" and that they knew when to speak with a "white voice."

2. As a former Social Studies teacher I remember speaking to classes about the exciting candidacy of Barack Obama in February, 2007, when he announced for the prseidency, and how exciting was the event. I remember some black students, eighth graders, who gave a visceral reaction at that moment saying Barack Obama was not "black," and not "black enough" which very much took me by surprise on many levels.

Therefore, the revelation of Senator Reid comment and todays's fuss over it does reveal again the dichotomy in America; while I want to point out that my examples above should show that the dichotomy exists within some people of the black community.

By the way, I had a former black student, in the mid-1980's, whom I wrote a recommendation for to the United States Military Academy saying she would be the first black woman president. That is still a possibility!

January 11, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  35. Birhanu

The word 'Negro' is not offensive by any means. It simply means black. What he said behind it (the light skin, no negro dialect) is the part that's offensive. But looking at his track record, he has championed for Civil right advocacy causes and his appology is totally accepted.

I have a coworker, an IT professional that's a dark skin African American guy. He told me personally that he doesn't like to date dark skin women because he says they're "Ghetto". I've also seen another Black guy at work ask me how come I know a lot more than him when I'm as black as he is. On the other hand, he doesn't question the white guys in my team about how come they know better than him on our experty. In my personal life, I haven't heard a racist judgement on me from a white person but I've seen a lot of it from other black people who're black like myself. So this colorization in our community is more prominent in the black community.

Harry Reid has accidentaly done us a favor so we can discuss the change in our value system based on color skin. We should foccus more amongst the minority communities than blamming whites to bring about a real change. The 21st century Civil right activists have should use their credibility to influence the minority communities to address this issue.

January 11, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  36. sandi

nonsence . whats so wrong. has everyone gone crazy..sounds like grammer school payground stuff no one gets to pick their color.. when are we going to notice that, ..race talk has and is getting going out wrongly believe the people of color thinks obama is their protector and change. sorry i see uncomfortable times till some whites black all people, comes and take the cob webs from our eyes..for we are all one.ha i live in california every day i get reminded of my east coast accent ha ha so what..sandi from san diego.

January 11, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  37. Barbara Ryan

Harry Reid spoke the absolute truth. We don't like to hear it but we all know it to be true. This country made a huge leap when Obama was elected but we still have a long way to go.

January 11, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  38. Richard

If the democratics had the votes to pass the health care bill without Harry Reid, would they have the same forgivinf feeling?

January 11, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  39. Donald

What's the problem? I am a Negro. I'm Black, African-American, Corlored, African, and what ever else I've been called by whites, blacks, latinos, and all the other races on the planet. Stop making a big deal about what name is appropriate. What's really a big deal is the land. Now, why don't someone make a big deal about Negros getting their 40 acres and a mule (that would be a John Deere, now)? Reid said something that is true; Lott said something that he wished were true.

President Obama is a Negro. What's wrong with that? Absolutely nothing!!!

Move on people, move on!!!

January 11, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  40. Justin

Look, this guy has a track record of helping people of color and should be applauded. He may have used a poor choice of words, but at the end of the day, the economy is bad, 1 in 10 American's are unemployed (including me), 2.5% of our our pop is in poverty, and gas is creeping to 3 bucks, we have a lot on our plate, but this is the media's story of the week, so let it run it's course, like diarrhea.

January 11, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  41. Dawn

I, too, am not offended by the word Negro just as I am not offended by the NAACP. As stated, Harry Reid's record speaks for itself. What he said is true. My own daughters have been accused of 'talking white' because they do not use slang. I can almost bet that the majority of folks trying to make this an issue are White who are trying hard to convince Blacks that they are not racist. Most do not realize that they have these stereotypical views. I just hope that this conversation continues in the hopes of enlightening and educating both sides of the stereotypes that each subscribes to.

January 11, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  42. NIta

This just goes to show that republicans stil are trying everything they can to get rid of Harry Reid. They know what he said is true and they are just haters. They don't see anything wrong with Dick Cheney faking a fall so that he doesn't have to stand up for the first black president but they have a problem with Harry Reid speaking the truth. That just goes to show how ignorant they are and how far we still have to go. But we are going to stand up for our president everytime and speak our mind because the media can't but YES WE CAN!!

January 11, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  43. Gretchen Dalton

Race...I don't get it...I'm 46 years old and I voted for Obama because he "looked" like me...I'm a white female, but he "looks" at the world like I do. I ready to be done with this conversation. Be who you are, do what you do, but bring something positive to the table. I don't care what color you are...

January 11, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  44. Jacqui

Although I don't like the comments made by Sen. Reid I have to admit the main reason I dislike his comments is because we,African Americans, are guilty of feeling/thinking what the Sen. verbalized

January 11, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  45. mcninch

why can't we all just get along?

January 11, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  46. Irene

Discrimination is discussed in private conversation regularly and this legislator merely used a very poor choice of words to convey this fact. The last group discriminated against is the overweight population. I don't forsee anyone coming to the defense of heavy people.

January 11, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  47. David Arce

Hi my name is David from Jersey City, New Jersey. I don't think that what Reid said was wrong. He was just bringing out an issue which is true. Lets not forget how Jimmy the Greek was litteraly banned for his statements which were also true.. Have we become so thin skinned where of a society... I hope not... Goodnight.

January 11, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  48. Richard Salter

I do not understand all the fuss over the use of Reid's terminology. Even the U.S government on the 2010 census have the description NEGRO when it comes to the description of African-American. WHY: because in the last census a majority of African-Americans used that term to describe themselves. Therefore the word cannot be insulting to many African-Americans and we should concentrate on the real issues like why these bank execs are getting all these ridiculous bonuses again when the banks are not helping to get this country moving again.

January 11, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  49. Phyllis Royster

As a light skin Black woman I think Harry Reid spoke truth to power. There is a bias relative to well spoken light skin Black Americans verses dark skin Black Americans. Senator Reid shouldn't be punished for speaking the truth.

January 11, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  50. Willy

What is so wrong about speaking the truth ? there is nothing racist about what Senator Reid said. Let's get back to health care reform.

January 11, 2010 at 11:19 pm |