January 7th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/07/10

Tonight on 360°, Pres. Obama taking responsibility for the failures to "connect the dots" in the attempted Christmas Day bombing. Plus, a possible late night shake-up at NBC. Will Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien be getting new time slots?

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Susan, NJ

We soon will be able to do education almost exclusively on line for young students and meet together for sports and clubs only.

January 7, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  2. Alex Valiao (Aliso Viejo, Ca)

Somehow, the nightclub paying the Salahi's are not playing their cards well. Why not pay the Salahi's $5,000 in trying to gatecrash the nightclub. That'll give it a twist and it will be way much fun. Hail to pajama parties- NOT (well, with the Salahis' anyway). 🙂

January 7, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  3. A Lopez

As a teacher find it very disturbing that the blame is placed on the teacher. You have no idea what we have to deal with. How about more accountability for students? There are no more consequences to very serious actions. I think today's "reality tv culture' is really harming our kids, as well as the lack of parental involvement. Less excuses and more action!

January 7, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Ms. Rhee is correct, the human capital is the most important thing in education. She sounds like a winner! We need more people like her in our school systems.

January 7, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  5. Cris

Well Ofcourse student accountability, but the elementary kids are suffering due to a major lack ofteacher accountability and a lack of useful and challenging programs... Let's make DC the best education system the US has to offer, especially our public schools.. Tis' a shame its gone on for this long!

January 7, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  6. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

This discussion is tap dancing around the fact that the teachers union is the biggest obstacle to real education reform. Charter schools have been shown to work, yet are universally opposed by the unions.

January 7, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  7. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Children also need to be inspired and allowed to dream for them to be they're most creative.

January 7, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  8. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@Anderson
    Great interview and a subject of much interest! Thanks!

January 7, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Saera El Paso, TX

My government and economics teacher says it's up to the students to learn something from our teachers and be motivated. I believe this. You can ask two students from the same school with the same teachers and the same priveleges whether or not they think they've learned something and one might say yes while the other says no.

January 7, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  10. Alex Valiao (Aliso Viejo, Ca)

The "What's Next" segment makes me realize that no matter how much pro-technology I am, it also reminds me that I keep conservative/traditional values close at heart. Perhaps, it's either my humanity kicking in or me getting old. 🙂 Nite!

January 7, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  11. starr formerly known as vincent

@Erica, you are absolutely right about the 10PM slot -AC360 is the best!

Andeson, really appreciate this series that you are doing this week on the future. Particularly appreciate the emphasis tonight on Education-so very important!

Your guest is right on so many points. We could also have many of the successful investment bankers, scientists, doctors, etc. guest at different classrooms around the country to motivate children.
    And,so much available with technology!

January 7, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  12. charlie

Good teachers are vital yes, but education levels in those leading countries is massively driven by parents involvement pushing both childrens and educators.

January 7, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  13. Anthonia-Bay Area!

I do believe that the public school systems should spend a lot of money on technology because my school has laptops that were built in 2003! It would great to have up-to-date laptops for the students like myself to get their work done with a new version of Microsoft 2007.

January 7, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  14. Lori K.

Teachers should get raises! Kids today need to be educated, they are the future of this country. Too many kids slipping through the cracks or dropping out and getting involved in some bad stuff. WOW 25th in math out of 30 nations! We are behind a lot of countries in education.

January 7, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Danielle - Los Angeles

Education is not a top priority for most leaders at the local or state level. Here in California the Governator has had such a negative impact on the school system that it sickens me.

January 7, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Many are frightened of children having access to so much information and so soon, but I like it!

January 7, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  17. Spencer

I was told by a teacher, "If your not uncomfortable in this class, I am not doing my job." What she meant by that was if she wasn't challenging us we are not learning. I have felt in many classes that I am not getting a good education because I am not being taught effectively. We also need to dispose of teachers that aren't willing to teach 5 days a week, and do busy work one day so they can relax.

January 7, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  18. Lori

Part of the problem is that some teachers do not really understand the subjects they are teaching such as math.

January 7, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  19. Stephanie

Teaching in most areas is a 'good old boy' system where you get (and keep your job) based on who you know!

The next focus should be on math and science; less technology. We have truly maximized the amount of electronics in our classrooms. Remember, the real definition of techonology is manipulating the world to make our lives easier; anything from forks to wheels are technology!

Students will not focus in the summer!

January 7, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  20. LisaL - Canada

children need to be taught how to think, as well as how to learn. i know some highly "educated" people who really truly are idiots. and i know some teenagers who are just smarter in life than some adults i know.

January 7, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Emily

Interesting that she doesn't think that it's going to be something in the medical field...

January 7, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  22. Lisa L

Good evening Anderson,

Count me in for AC360. 2010 – The year of innovation.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

January 7, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  23. charlie

Michelle Rhee : Yes pay teacher like doctors if they are fully qualifed, but Lawyers and investment bankers as respected professions?

January 7, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Unfortunately, the quality of the workforce in general is pretty poor, but in the case of teachers it ends up affecting lives just getting started.

January 7, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  25. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Last year my son has had computer classes and English (the school is bilingual) and he's only 4 years.

These are other time, very different from when I was his age!

January 7, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  26. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

@Isabel Siaba That's right ,I forgot about your time zone difference!

January 7, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  27. Danielle - Los Angeles

@ Erica Hill AC may be the reason on the East Coast but that doesn't explain things here on the West. LOL

January 7, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  28. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Take some of that salery away from the sports people and celebs and give it to those who truly need to shape our children for the future...their teachers and moms.

January 7, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  29. Juan

we step up our security and the enemy learns and waits for the oppotunity of complacency, like the TSA agent who left his post.

January 7, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  30. Stephanie

Yeh teacher quality! I am a teacher and I recognize that there has to be more accountability for teachers BUT there has to accountability for students as well!

January 7, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  31. Saera El Paso, TX

Megan Dresslar – thanks 🙂

I guess I'm the "younger generation" that thinks Conan is funny (I'm 17 lol).
    Conan O'brien, Craig Fergueson, and Carson Daly are the folks I watch... Well, I suppose I watch too much television anyway...

January 7, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  32. Susan, NJ

People are coming to the conclusion that the dumbing down of public education is deliberate, to create a permanent, meek, dependent underclass.

January 7, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  33. Cris

whoo hoo let's see DC get put on the map... I hope Rhee's vision does come to fruition. There have been promises... we shall see...

January 7, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  34. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The question to ask today is whether Obama's attempts to make us more popular around the world have made us safer. As events have shown, they have not. Al Queda has no problem recruiting without Bush to blame.

January 7, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  35. Emily

@Erica,

Sorry about the mentioning my freezer! 🙂
    I really do love the winter, just Not -50 the winds!

I'd have to agree with you on Leno's ratings @10pm.
    There's no place that I'd rather be than here on this blog w/all of yous and watching AC360. 😀

January 7, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  36. Claus

I think Letterman is just better on his show than Conan is on the Tonight show. I don't think Conan is losing viewers because the newscast before him has dwindled in viewers. Hitting the remote is just too easy so staying with a particular late night show just because you watched the local news on that station just doesn't add. Let's give Letterman some credit. I love Jay; I hope he goes back to the Tonight show. He was the best replacement for Johnny.

January 7, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  37. charlie

Obama stated we are at war with Al Quaida. That is a very accurate definition, since no country(s) is accurate and the "war" is not addressing all terrorist groups in the world..

January 7, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  38. oliver

since i worked for airline security in germany, i can only say, TSA should only do, what they're supposed to do.
    with the info available to the security agent when the guy was checking, in should have led to a full search of bags and body, THAT would have revealed the explosives.
    i travel alot from here to europe where i grew up and from what i see as a pax the procedures didnt really change since the early 90'.
    thats why 9/11 happened and why "they" got through again...

January 7, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  39. David, Indiana

@Isabel, good pt, airport, travel security, not just the US alone, but all countries in the world.

So the whole Newark airport was shut down for a guy picking up his girlfriend?

Those school busses look like they were catching ice spray from waves or some body of water.

January 7, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  40. starr formerly known as vincent

@David, Indiana

Partisan politics seems to be an "addiction" in DC. I don't know how the Large amount of the American people can get through to them that we are truly "sick" of it.As far a national security, partisan politics does NOT make us safer.

God bless the individuals who put their lives on the line everyday, trying their best to keep us as safe as humanly possible.

January 7, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  41. Devin

Hahahaha your funny Erica!

January 7, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  42. Stephanie

As a viewer, it seems like networks beat a dead horse; they play the same things over and over; maybe Jay would be more successful had he not been on so much!

January 7, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  43. Lori

Personally, I do not think that anyone except Carson could out do Leno.

January 7, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  44. Susan, NJ

Conan should be given more time to catch on. Things take time. What about patience?

January 7, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.
    YES! That's true!!! I agree with you, He have to change scheduled back to late night instead prime time!

January 7, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  46. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@mj,

"How effective are these no fly lists etc. do they have the suspect's passport pictures attched to each name?"

I think they should have some type of rating system and if someone has more than one negative hit like communicating with terrorists or extremists, visiting countries which have a reputation for state sponsored terrorism or participate in other questionable behavior he/she should be on a no fly list and closely watched. Most of all, they better stop all this ridiculous PC garbage.

January 7, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  47. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

To me Jay is in another time and I like him! 🙂

January 7, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  48. Emily

@David Gergen,

Glad to see you on the blog with us tonight....you had a great panel discussion!

I think that the CIA/FBI should keep an eye on them like they did in the years past. However, I think that it may also have to be monitored as to who comes into the country....

Also, we saw an example of a children school for future "suicide bombers"!
    Why are those school, when it's known where they are, still there?

January 7, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Susan, NJ

How much money does one person need to make. Maybe it's time for a fresh face, give someone else a chance.

January 7, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I would like to think that it would be like Fort Knox trying to get to our President, but apparently it is not.

January 7, 2010 at 10:40 pm |