January 7th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/07/10

Tonight on 360°, Pres. Obama taking responsibility for the failures to "connect the dots" in the attempted Christmas Day bombing. Plus, a possible late night shake-up at NBC. Will Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien be getting new time slots?

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Janine from PA.

Good evening AC360:
    I don't profess to be a seer or anything, but I'm not surprised that Leno dodn't do that well. I figure high rating for them all out of curiosity then it would peter out. I figured that with Katie Couric too. I even thought that Letterman hosting the oscars long ago would not be a good fit. I'm surprised Leno had good ratings at night, some of his stuff was ripped from Letterman.

January 7, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  2. Susan, NJ

Americans are brilliant and managing information – the government – not so much.

January 7, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Barb,

"Lastly, I have not seen anyone thank, officially, this Dutch man who took the bomber down and stopped him from detonating his fumbled bomb."

Did Obama even acknowledge him? It wasn't the government who prevented this attack, it was a passenger. They government did nothing to stop this guy from being in a position to do this nor did they do anything to stop him. They had the info about him, but they chose to just let the plane land without informing the crew that he was on board.

January 7, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Good point! Jay Leno is most rating going up than David Letterman and Conan O'Brien.

January 7, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  5. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Well, 10:00pm belongs to you, Anderson!

January 7, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  6. Emily

52 Below! Burrr....
    It's not even February yet!

January 7, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  7. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

This cold is so far from my reality, but is simply beautiful!

January 7, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  8. A. Smith, Oregon

Wow, wicked cold, I bet it would be a great time to buy Orange Juice on the commodity markets! (If I only had some money)

January 7, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  9. Anthonia-Bay Area!

I don't see the point of this "shake-up." Both Jay and Conan are great late night comedians and hopefully this shake-up would die down quickly.

January 7, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  10. David Gergen

Hello everyone - thanks for joining us tonight. I believe that the President did exactly the right thing in taking personal responsibility today. But we seem to be playing whack-a-mole with Al Quaeda. What should we do to stop them in Yemen, Somalia and the places where they may pop up next?

January 7, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  11. LisaL - Canada

oh that is interesting – the nbc shuffle... well, ratings drives the advertising, and advertising pays the bills. will be interesting to see how the new configuration works. (besides, wasn't everyone watching AC360 at 10pm EST?) 🙂

January 7, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  12. carolyn Jenks

Ye, Anderson, Paul is right. Call in the Google brains. They have a better chance of figuring this watchlist technology out that the bureaucrats.

January 7, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  13. Susan

David Gergen, thanks for confirming that Paul Begala suggested almost verbatim what was in the President's speech today, doing it on AC360 earlier this week. Anderson, are speechwriters borrowing your shows transcripts? Seems too many people in the inner circles are a step behind lately.

January 7, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  14. Valerie NYC

The White House party crashers? I knew it! I said so last night! I was sure these guys were `covered´. Someone´s got their back, that they´re very well connected. otherwise, they´d be locked up.
    I´m so that I´m going to get ... annoyed.

January 7, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  15. niwat kurusattra, chicago

President Obama better be sorry for terrorsist's attempt with those sufficient yet unexecuted datas, it is his first amendment on the job to protect the American people non-domestically.

January 7, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  16. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

I thought it was a mistake for them to move Jay in the first place,even though I usually watch Letterman anyway.

January 7, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  17. A. Smith, Oregon

The Nigerian Muslim bombers father spoke directly face to face with the CIA. The CIA deliberately chose to not inform the TSA on that red flag among many others they already were aware of.

January 7, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  18. David, Indiana

@Isabel, I agree with you about having info but being unsure of how to proceed with it. Maybe the tangle of govt agencies is part of the problem here. Speeding up dissemination of reporting would help, following up quickly on leads also key.

One piece of good news here is that the Yemeni govt is becoming a partner of the US. That can help to get at core al Queda.

January 7, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  19. Emily

@starr formerly known as vincent,

I agree with you...it was a great panel discussion!

January 7, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh no! Jay Leno will replaced Conan O'Brien starting 11:35pm instead 10 pm slot.

January 7, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  21. starr formerly known as vincent

@Mike formerly from Syracuse

Pres. Obama has said we are at war with Al Queida (sp) since his inagural. CNN has run how many times he has said the word "we are at war" several times.

He has stated we are at war with extremists from the beginning of his tenure, not ust now.

As you your other points, i believe some of them to be true.

January 7, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  22. Saera El Paso, TX

If they do this what happens to Last Call ?

January 7, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  23. Annie Kate

When Jay Leno moved to an earlier slot I didn't think it would last or do well but I didn't think it would be this quick. Was anyone at all watching Jay at that time slot? Glad Conan isn't getting dropped in the mess.

January 7, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  24. charlie

You are so right Barb. The Dutch guy was a hero and really was impresive in both his actions and his modest demeanor when talking about it.

January 7, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  25. A. Smith, Oregon

President Obama should fire the CIA members that are still loyal to former Vice President Dick Cheney and creating a power vacuum.

January 7, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  26. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Sylvia, you hit on a good point. No one has the 'right' to come here. We should require those from threat countries to apply for permission. Let people in only when they are proven safe.

January 7, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  27. Marianne Weinberg

It's not enough that The President "takes responsibility"-this is just rheteric!! This person is a terrorist and should be treated like one.I believe in torture!

January 7, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  28. Helen, Reading, UK

Good evening all, Sleepless and Snowed In in England here! Maybe too late, but at least you have a President who is willing to say to the country that he messed up. Hopefully lessons will have been learned from this incident. What worries me more is the belief that the suspected terrorist was radicalised here in the UK. Unfortunately our Government spends too much time ensuring that the human rights of those suspected of such atrocities are met, rather than using their resources to combat this problem.

January 7, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  29. Emily

Just why did NBC change the line up?

Why mess with a good thing?
    I thought that Leno brought in good ratings for NBC.

January 7, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  30. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Ok ... The U.S. are reviewing its flaws, but what about other countries?

I just read that Italy will upgrade their scanners, but it will take 3 months. And other countries?

How do I know that is safe?

January 7, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  31. The Rev. Fred Fenton

It is crazy making to hear all these so-called "experts" say there was a failure to "connect the dots." The would-be bomber's father went to the U.S. Embassy in Nigeria to report that his son might be a danger. A CIA agent was present. The Embassy concluded the father, a well-respected Nigerian banker, was on the level and sent a cable to Washington. An inter-agency group reviewed that message and decided there was no "actionable information." They showed no common sense. Each and every member of that group should be fired.

January 7, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  32. Carmen

I'm late to comment on this but I was very frustrated with the judgment that President Obama did not react fast enough after the failed bombing. No one was hurt, nothing was destroyed. I expect that on his secure phone line he told his staff "You gave me wrong information , I'll be back in my office on 1/4 and I expect written reports on my desk

January 7, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  33. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I believe all agents should be better prepared in dealing.

January 7, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  34. Emily

@Paul Castellani,

I agree with you....Brin & Page sound like they would be perfect!

January 7, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  35. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Maybe if they stop patting down grandma they will have more time to notice the real terrorists.

January 7, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

There were at least four or five red flags raised about the Nigerian, but no one acted on them. How many will it take now for someone to take notice?

January 7, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  37. charlie

Carrying dagger in Yemen? How about carrying handguns in the US?

January 7, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  38. Lori

I think we need to change our approach such as cut access to explosives.

January 7, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  39. starr formerly known as vincent

The other point i have issue with is we are in this ALL together!

Anderson, thank you for bringing up the partisan sniping that is going on.

We ALL need to pull together to be as successful as possible, without compromising the values that this country was founded on.
    And again, WE cannot bomb every country that appears to be a threat. We need the cooperation of our allies & we need to make NEW allies.,

Great panel discussion as always.

January 7, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  40. Barb

Lastly, I have not seen anyone thank, officially, this Dutch man who took the bomber down and stopped him from detonating his fumbled bomb. Are we going to give him a parade or a medal or at least his 15 minutes of fame?

January 7, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  41. charlie

Gergern is getting to the point. How to stop recruiting. The rest of this is tactics and skirmishes not the way to defeat Al Quaida..

January 7, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  42. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    Not that it changes anything at present, but it seems the busy Christmas travel season alone should have been reason enough to be on higher alert for terrorist activity.

January 7, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  43. Sylvia

Maybe the U.S. government should consider putting EVERYONE in their potential terrorist files onto a "No Fly" List.... then these bad guys would have to apply to fly. Reverse the system. Might be safer.

January 7, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  44. carolyn Jenks

I'll feel better when I hear that Obama is meeting with Steve JObs, Bill Gates, the founders of Twitter, Facebook, and Linked in. My interns come up with obscure items within 2 minutes using these tools. Government agencies are self serving and cumbersome. They need to scratch them and start over.

January 7, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  45. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The core problem is that we have an administration that is more concerned with political correctness than in doing what it takes to fight and win a war.

January 7, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  46. Johann

I think Obama's approach on this matter has been quite level headed and its great that he is focusing on the problem rather than joining hands with those politicians that are more interested in finding a somebody to blame instead of contributing concrete solutions.

January 7, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  47. donya

" connecting the dot"
    "the buck stops here" whoa.....president is funny

January 7, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  48. Danielle - Los Angeles

@Paul Castellani I totally agree with you. This is right up the google guys alley.

January 7, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  49. Barb

And am I wrong but....who STOPPED assigning leads and making sure they were followed up on? What are all these counter terrorism people doing with our trillion dollars?

January 7, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  50. charlie

Those 16 agencies look like a horrifying recipe for lack of communicaitons. Look at any corporate structure case study.

January 7, 2010 at 10:15 pm |