January 4th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/04/10

We have breaking news on the deadly courthouse shooting in Las Vegas. We now know of a possible motive for the attack. Plus, former vice president Dick Cheney takes on the Pres. Obama over the war on terror. The White House fires back. We're keeping them honest.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Cervantes Imp. Beach CA

Any comment of fmr. vp Chenney are just out of touch with the Real World we live in .
    (after two Bush terms)

January 4, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  2. A. Smith, Oregon

@ Emily, I would suggest 'they' hate us because of civilians being killed by bombs, poorly run raids and artillery shells that stray into congested areas. I don't believe they hate us for helping millions around the world.

January 4, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  3. Pras

Good evening and Happy New Year.

We need to take a 180 degree shift in our approach to dealing with terrorists.
    Why can't our intelligence agencies publish the list of terrorist suspects on their watch list so that any airlines or other transportation agencies can check against that list to determine if the passenger needs additional screening? If I were the owner of an airline, I would make it mandatory for my staff to check against that list before allowing any passenger on board. Given that most people are not terrorists, this approach will pretty much make it difficult for a terrorist to travel and make use of any of our services including jobs and training.

January 4, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  4. Emily

sounds like more airports, are going to have to put those scanners in them! ...can't fight every country out there...these terrorists, they are not a part any army, or in any uniform!

January 4, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  5. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I agree with you... "Lots of hate out ther"... And we all are in the midst of it, like it or not!

January 4, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  6. A.J. Speelman, Ohio

It's interesting and impressive to the distance and path that the xmas bomber had taken to accomplish what others wanted of him and he of himself.

January 4, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  7. Karen, MN

Hi Everyone,

I'm joining late. It sounds like things have gone crazy in Yemen.

January 4, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Abdulmutallab's own father turned him into authorities, how often does that happen? Britain told the US that Abdulmutallab had links to extremists over a year ago. His visa should have been revoked at that time.

January 4, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  9. Lori from IL

I think an important question hasn't been asked in the Christmas Bomber story - that is who sold him a one-way ticket to the U.S. He should never have been able to buy a one-way ticket to the U.S. as a non-US citizen/entering the US on a visa. He could have been sold a round-trip ticket with an open return, but not a one-way ticket. Why hasn't anyone investigated who sold him the ticket and why he was allowed to buy it?

January 4, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  10. sara.OR

There is the Alchemist in Nigerian version...

January 4, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  11. Katherine

Please! No dick cheney story!!

January 4, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  12. Dodie

Why is America targeted more than any other country?

January 4, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  13. Lori

So funny how babies look so angelic when sleeping but when crying invoke emergency response.

January 4, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  14. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

What is wrong with the US agents? They keep failing us.

January 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  15. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

What will happen to Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab now?

January 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  16. Maureen T., Mississauga, Canada

What we need is the miracle baby story to brighten things up! AC360 has been a little heavy tonight...

January 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Yes. I agree.

niwat , chicago
    You too!

January 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  18. Emily

@David, Indiana,

Really sad that someone would reduce them self to shooting innocent people at a courthouse!
    It will be interesting to hear more details about this...

January 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  19. Sharon Hastings

If it weren't for the failed detonation of that device, we would have had a huge tragedy on Christmas Day. As it is we got a free lesson on how inadequate our security measures are and now we can hope for a major shake up and a serious tightening of security and a revamping of the whole system of communication about these things.

January 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  20. Linda Conte

Yesterday, I arrived at Atlanta International Airport at apprx 11:30 am to catch a 1:35 flight home. Surprisingly, there was NO line at the Security Check point. I put my small backpack and a personal bag on the belt, along with my shoes and cell phone. These items passed through xray and I went on my way. When I got to my gate, I went into my backpack to get something.

To my dismay, when I opened up my backpack to get my wallet out, inside my backpack was a bottle of ice tea, in a plastic bottle, from the night before. Then I also realized that I had forgotten to take the quart size zip lock out of my personal carry-on as well.

As I said, there were NO lines at the Security Check Point and yes, someone was sitting in front of the xray machine. No one said a word to me.

As I sat on my flight, I looked at the couple next to me and wondered what they had in their bags that might have slipped by Security....

What happened to the extra security that is supposed to be in place. I would hate to think what gets by when there IS a long line of people.

I just thought you should know........I have to fly again in March, again out of ATL, and now I'm not so secure because of what happened yesterday.

January 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  21. starr formerly known as vincent

Excellent panel discussion.

Yemen has been a consistent threat for years. Seems like it's getting much worse.
    I know we have not ignored Yemen as a threat, however, it is interesting to know how much more we are willing to do and say publically.
    Again, great panel discussion.

January 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  22. Maureen T., Mississauga, Canada

That young man looks so innocent but obviously looks can be deceiving...who would've thought he would have such hate in his heart...

January 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Dulcie - Denver

Wow Anderson! Great work with the Magic Wall. Thanks for laying it out so clearly. Now I have a better idea of where this guy came from and where he'd traveled. Made things very clear for us.

January 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  24. Alex Valiao

Good evening!!! Great Monday and diverse topics for the day. Scary event at Las Vegas. Experience can never be discounted in national security & in human intelligence. Recounting & communicating such experiences however, empowers everyone so nobody is a liability & everyone is an asset. Determining what is real will always be the goal but it doesn't discount pre-empt action nor calculated gut instinct. Thanks to everyone who keeps us safe.

January 4, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

A. Smith, Oregon
    Yes, we are safe our america, I think white house are monitoring around clock if terrorists are dangerous/ threat our people, might have bombing in the world. I agree with you.

January 4, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  26. Cervantes Imp. Beach CA

Interesting news today,

January 4, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  27. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Lots of hate out there~the world is a beautiful but scary place. because of humans.

January 4, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  28. A. Smith, Oregon

Saber rattling, sounds like another Oil War in the works here. Saudi Arabia doesn't want Iran parking silk worm missiles in Yemen to target the Saudi bound Oil Supertankers.

January 4, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

These terrorists will always find the weak spot in our security and from what I can see there are plenty of them.

January 4, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  30. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@Anderson

His father warned him that he was dangerous.

Why that warning was ignored?

January 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  31. Cervantes Imp. Beach CA

Coments from VP Chenney ,are disrespecfull,remember who broke the Bank & invaded muslims

January 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  32. Emily

@A. Smith,

I don't understand "what" it is that they hate!
    Is it those that are in Afganistan?...the fact that it's "The West"? or just because Bin Laden says to do it?

January 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  33. Jerry

How can one person buy a one way ticket to the states and not be a US citizen??

January 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  34. pattyanna from mass.

don"t we have enough wars without going into Yemen? do we really need that country full of ungrateful, hating people?? we are send our military into a terrible place, remember the USSCole? we should stay out of there.

January 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  35. A. Smith, Oregon

The Nigerian bomber did not have his passport when he arrived in Amsterdam. What country grabbed his passport?

January 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Brenda

Anderson,
    You are making me dizzy with that touch screen going back and forth explaining the Christmas bomber ties. LOL

January 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Lori

The Christmas Bomber looks so innocent. Anyone who wears explosive underware is crazy in my opinion.

January 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  38. A. Smith, Oregon

Alwaki corresponded with Maj. Hassan MD. and yet Lt.Gen. Robert Cone at Fort Hood stated he didn't know anything about his own medical staff officer being a militant?

January 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  39. Emily

this terrorist had everything going for him!
    what a waste his life has turned out to be....he really could have done anything from the sounds of what Anderson is saying tonight.

January 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  40. starr formerly known as vincent

@ Emily – your right, a good story for a change is great!

@Isabel, Brazil- you are so right, the 1st family (and i imagine Sec. Clinton too) remain targets. So far so good, let us pray to God that security and protection for them remains as good as it has been (except for the White House crashers).

@David, Indiana, Happy New Year

January 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  41. niwat , chicago

Happy Belated New Year, everyone

January 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  42. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you back.
    With such incidents as the inauguration threat and the relief of the failed bomb attempt on Christmas day, it's impossible to minimize the importance of national security. More focus should be placed on perfecting security rather than merely passing around blame.

January 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

What difference will tighter security make regarding those supposedly questionable countries? This guy came out of Amsterdam!

January 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  44. Cessy, Chicago IL

I dont mind waiting for a long time nor bother to complain while at airports...travelling..Its all about our safety.

January 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  45. A. Smith, Oregon

Amazing, 14 nations that hate Americans so much they would blow themselves up to hurt us. That is making Americans safer?

January 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  46. David, Indiana

@Isabel, access to firearms is factor, but why have attacks on courthouses doubled since 2003?

@Emily, I guess that is an as yet uncovered part of this story, the details of what motivated the suspect.

January 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  47. Emily

@Megan,

It really was shocking seeing that video of the courthouse shooting...
    (looked like it could have been footage from a war zone somewhere!)...

YouTube has really changed the news; being able to see & hear all those gun shots....Terrible for the people there.

January 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  48. Jack, Long Island, NY

I remember when JFK was killed it was "rumored" that the CIA was behind it...what if all these security breaches are being orchestrated by some in the CIA who aren't happy with Obama and are just trying to discredit him? Outlandish or possible?

January 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anthonia-Bay Area!
    Yes, There are metal-detectors many area in courthouse, airports and school...... including congress house.

January 4, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Brian, Newport, Oregon

Anderson; Has the time come to eliminate the umbrella of rights that a terrorist may have under the constition of the US? New rules for bad people?

January 4, 2010 at 10:17 pm |