January 1st, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/01/10

We're tracking the clues in the failed Christmas airline bombing plot. Plus, the challenges for Pres. Obama and the country in 2010. And, a behind-the-scenes look at our New Year's Eve celebration in Times Square.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I also agree all of you, Tom Delay and more etc....it was so crazy year. I remember that Tom Delay made worst dancer on Dancing With the Star!!! LOL and others too! 🙂

January 1, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  2. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Erica's reporting last week. It's always nice to have a little change of routine.

January 1, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

If he is not an American citizen he is not entitled to the same protections under the Constitution. Period.

January 1, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  4. Nancy in Oregon

Not so sure it all falls on Obama, Susan....and I don't feel terrorized, somehow....thankfully.

January 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

These terrorists HAVE no Constitutional rights. They are enemy combatants. This is war not a law enforcement action.

January 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  6. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,

"'man caused disasters'"

I've never heard that before!

January 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  7. Al Leong

its hard to believe al-quada would make a mistake of sending a guy to the US with a one-way ticket. these guys have money. if he's getting a 1 way ticket, it says, the kid was independent and didn't have enough money. or a tertiary attacker. al quaia must be claiming credit anyways.

January 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  8. Susan, NJ

The terrorist should absolutely not be treated as a citizen – but rather as an enemy combatant under the Geneva convention and sent to GITMO for enhanced interrogation.

January 1, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  9. Molly

I still can't get over Janet Napolitano saying, "The system worked." Passengers stepped in to action. As a citizen, I'll do my part. But I am not part of the "System". I think the "Flying Dutchman" is really a marshall or some other agent. Maybe that's why she said, "The system worked."

January 1, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  10. A. Smith, Oregon

Anderson, Erica, let's not forget all of the likely victims on the ground beneath the bombed flight over metro-Detroit. There would have been many more deaths than just the 300 on board the flight.

January 1, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  11. Lori

Erica, congratulations and Happy New Year! You did a wonderful job during Anderson's vacation.

January 1, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  12. Amy

I love to hear Anderson laugh! Like when he fills in on Regis and last night! And this night he's laughing more than usual. Hope to see more of him laughing in the future!

January 1, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  13. Nancy in Oregon

Yep, David, intense public pressure is what those jobs are about alright-some people can't handle it. (I couldn't! But then I know that and wouldn't seek the job to start with!)

January 1, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  14. Susan, NJ

Obama's NOT on top of it. The underwear bomber was a successful attack in that we are all terrorized.

January 1, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  15. David, Indiana

It did seem from the segments you're airing from last night that you couldn't get a word in edgewise last night Anderson. Didn't know about the drinking game though. I'm glad I watched. Thanks for getting me in the New Years celebration.

I guess that's true, maybe they didn't enjoy the beers as much as you would expect on the beer summit.

Sarah Palin's anncmnt was loaded w/irony, but she was under intense public pressure.

January 1, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  16. Caroline, Los Angeles

@ Emily-the English majors and authors among us keep them alive.

January 1, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  17. soledad

If that woman from the party crashers dress wasn't as pretty as it was they would have never of gotten passed the security.

January 1, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  18. sara.OR

Happy New Year AC360 team,CNN, moms, dadds,grannyes and blogers!

January 1, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  19. Lori

Hi Anderson. Great show last night. Happy New Year!

Where is "The Crystal Ball" kept during the rest of the year and who owns it?

January 1, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  20. brian

Dallas I also think bomb sniffing dogs should be in every airport and right before you walk onto the plane. Most everything they have now is expensive and will not stop the underwear bombers.

January 1, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  21. Susan, NJ

Obama has taken his eye off the ball and focused on lower priority issues. We've had TWO major terror attacks in two months.

January 1, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Emily

I loved that YouTube of Joshua, or Rizzo, the little boy that gave the Miracle Speak! That was great! (I'm a hockey fan).
    He was really cute!

January 1, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  23. Don, WA

Oh, I thought they said republicans like "canning", like canning orange marmlemade – thank goodness for live blog to clarify it to me that it was "tanning", that makes sense now.

January 1, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  24. A. Smith, Oregon

The Beer Party was a teachable moment! Police need to exercise common sense and not rush headlong into false imprisonment for the innocent.

January 1, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Casey Jones – Palm Springs, CA, Tom DeLay is one of those "people."

January 1, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Emily

@Caroline, Los Angeles,

There is so many great words that we seem to be losing!

Also, when people speak!
    If someone says, Well, to tell you the truth....

hmm.... no please lie to me!

January 1, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Caroline, Los Angeles

I intentionally avoided watching Tom Delay and that show. I feared it would hurt my eyes permanently.

January 1, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  28. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I like ice skaters and dancers costumes. Maybe some of us just don't have the figure to wear those costumes????? Hmmm???

January 1, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Tom DeLay's dancing boy moves never fail to make me laugh! Hilarious!

January 1, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  30. karen

Please do not subject us to any more of Kathy Griffin- I had to change the station. She gives redheads a BAD name...

January 1, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  31. Jacqueline, NY

Hello all. Happy New Year!

January 1, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  32. Nancy in Oregon

America sure does produce some weird politicians! More reality-show-wanna-be's than politicians sometimes!

January 1, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  33. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@David

Good to see you too. Happy New Year!!

January 1, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  34. Caroline, Los Angeles

LOL–those are great vows!

January 1, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  35. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I still think Blagoyevich looks exactly like Dan White (the guy that killed Harvey Milk).

January 1, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  36. Kathy, Minnesota

Kathy seemed to be trying to get your dire up last night in Times Square – you stayed so cool about it and loving that laugh Anderson – keeping it real for sure. Thank you.

January 1, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  37. Caroline, Los Angeles

@ Emily–I admire the fact that people still like to make up words. It's silly sometimes and necessary other times but that's how languages expand.

January 1, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  38. Emily

@Kelly – Harrisburg, PA

"I've heard the tallest presidential candidate always wins, does the tannest candidate win?"

What about the Smartest one?
    I guess that might be TOO much to ask?!

January 1, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  39. Molly

Al Queda continues to actively recruite. The "Underwear Bomber" was about 23 years old. He was only 15 years old on Sept. 11th. Just as our own CIA recruites high school and college students – so does Al Qaeda. "Mission Accomplished?"

January 1, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  40. A. Smith, Oregon

I feel that true Homeland Security begins with a true Healthcare Plan for all Americans. More American's die in America each month due to inadequate health care vs all the lives lost on 911.

January 1, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  41. ted

Erica,

Second try........first post got lost.

So let me try again.........Anderson keeps reporting that the Nigerian had a one way ticket to Detroit. However the Dutch gov't is saying he bought a round trip ticket. Which is correct?

January 1, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  42. Anthony A Santos NJ

In case you don't know this boy lived mostly in Europe and Asia since age 12 where he became a radical. Most Nigeirans are fun loving people and not terriost.

January 1, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  43. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

January 1, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Caroline, Los Angeles

LOL-portions of the Republican party do indeed love to tan.

January 1, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  45. Emily

@ Caroline,

"Chillaxin is a dumb word"

I agree with you 100%

Also, when people blend couples names!

(TomKat, etc) I noticed that 'fad' is still going on!

January 1, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  46. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Some of the tweets Griffin read were totally inappropriate and frankly, rather offensive.

January 1, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  47. A. Smith, Oregon

For complete certainty, the present situation in Iran with their ambitious Uranium enrichment program won't be the same by the end of 2010 as it is today.

January 1, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Emily,

"I sure hope that they DO acknowledge it!
    Perhaps if they do, more people will come forward, like this mans father."

I agree, but unfortunately, it looks like they didn't really listen to him.

January 1, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  49. Dulcie - Denver

Congratulations on your baby, Erica! Like others, I had no idea you were expecting until the other night.

You're such a trooper to work so hard while in your 7th month. I'll bet you want to sleep for a week 🙂

January 1, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  50. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I think it might be best if Anderson skipped his attempt at celebrity impersonations (like Cher). Very amusing. 🙂

January 1, 2010 at 10:31 pm |