January 1st, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/01/10

We're tracking the clues in the failed Christmas airline bombing plot. Plus, the challenges for Pres. Obama and the country in 2010. And, a behind-the-scenes look at our New Year's Eve celebration in Times Square.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. david

@mike, there idiots no sense of human compassion, why give them a glorified name in which they relish?

January 1, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I love that you and Kathy were so funny people I have been watching both you, Kathy give you have hard times and tease you!!!!! I did tweet you all times on Twitter.... That was so awesome new year!!!! Nice job Anderson!!!!!! I love your expression face! 😀

January 1, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  3. Elaine, Denver

Hi Anderson,

Loved seeing you last night for New Years 2010! Glad that one station has the good sense to show the ball drop live to the rest of the country!

As for the terrorist, within our agencies, they have dropped the ball in many ways within the past year. Our society has taken a turn for the worst. Too many people in high places are walking around with blinders on and can't pay any attention to detail. What is wrong with these people?

January 1, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  4. Barry - San Diego

Hello Everyone- Flags everywhere regarding the diaper bomber. Still no word from authorities if he was able to board without a passport, if so
    something is VERY wrong here!

January 1, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  5. Sandra

Anderson you and Kathy are great partners on New Years. Your low key ways never get old.and I love that your ego is not inflated. You are the bomb and it appears you don't know this...adorable!

January 1, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  6. Emily

@Bloggers,

I think that there are many phrases that need to go too!

Things like,

"To be honest with you", or "To tell you the truth",

or "The Tipping point"....

There are MANY metaphors that I would LOVE to see go!

January 1, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  7. Chris

Hey Anderson a Happy New Year to you and the CNN crew – you guys did a fabulous job in Time Square last night.

January 1, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  8. David, Indiana

@Dulice-Denver I've been thinking that and wanting to say that too. Erica did a great job anchoring.

@Isabel Good to see you tonight. Happy 2010 to you too!

@Emily, thanks, hope 2010 is a great year too!

I was going to say that maybe the CIA base got comfortable w/ some success in Afghanistan, but given the "deep roots" of the Hakani network in the area, they would be cautious and prepared esp after prev attacks in Afghanistan. So it's an open question how that happened. I

It would be very difficult to CIA personnel and family to grieve in secret.

January 1, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  9. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

Happy New Year AC360 team and fellow bloggers.. I've really enjoyed blogging this past year and look forward to a new year.

@Erica, my brother told me over the holidays that he thought you were really beautiful, not like you don't hear that every day...

January 1, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  10. Daniel From Canada

With the increasing spate of these bombings here and there, I am begining to think that guerilla style of the MOSSAD might work better than this idea of bombarding Afghnistan with additional 30 thousand soldiers to fight an invincible enemy. Frankly an average afghan man will be happy to kill an American or Canadian soldier because of their religion. These guys dont just care about life. It is high time we stopped wasting our soldiers' lives. Protect America from the shores of America and use guerilla warfare style.

January 1, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  11. Jim Stacey

Anderson. Love your show. Thanks for the info you provide. My concern is "Why can't the coalition forces fight Al queda the same way they are fighting the coalition"? Underground and behind the locals. Dressed as locals. Hiding in schools and mosques and residential areas. It seems to me what is good for the goose, is good for the gander also. I realize that is against the Geneva convention on war's but why not level the playing field.

January 1, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  12. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

If it walks, talks and acts like a terrorist, it's a terrorist.

January 1, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  13. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@David, they ARE terrorists, not 'man caused disasters' as the Administration calls them.

January 1, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  14. A. Smith, Oregon

waves to Erica Hill, thanks for joining us!

January 1, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  15. david

how so mike?

January 1, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  16. lisal .canada

too bad there wasn't time to read more viewer questions (although the dobbs one was probably one of the more interesting). can you answer some now?
    Viewer Question: what is your favorite kind of pizza.

January 1, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  17. ericacnn

@Casey Jones – I, too, prefer "defriend" to "unfriend". Our word is safe!

January 1, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I didn't watch CNN's NYE coverage. I could not bring myself to sit through another year of Kathy Griffin. She is totally obnoxious!

January 1, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  19. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@David, not calling terrorists 'terrorists' is part of this Administration's problem.

January 1, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  20. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I agree we could get rid of unfriended, but I think we should add de-faced (for FaceBook). And I actually thought the term was de-friend?

January 1, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  21. Caroline, Los Angeles

Kathy gave Anderson such a hard time last night. Her questions were quite outrageous.

January 1, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  22. A. Smith, Oregon

Wow, an amazing Christmas and New Year miracle in regards to the New Mother and her child coming back to life, thank-you CNN Staff and Anderson, Erica for sharing that great story with the viewers.

January 1, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Emily

Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

"...but our government chooses not to acknowledge it."

I sure hope that they DO acknowledge it!
    Perhaps if they do, more people will come forward, like this mans father.

January 1, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  24. Francine-Canada

Happy New Year Anderson from Canada. All the best in 2010! Stay safe.

January 1, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Olando--USA

Erica Hill, My wife and I always have a tickle watching you. You are so sharp and pleasant! Hope you have your baby boy soon.
    Best wishes

January 1, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  26. david

what do you guys think about not calling terrorist terroist?
    i think it gives them identity

January 1, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  27. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@A. Smith, he can start with firing Peneta who he appointed to head the CIA.

January 1, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  28. Caroline, Los Angeles

Chillaxin is a dumb word.

January 1, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  29. A. Smith, Oregon

Thank God no American troops were killed in Iraq during the month of December. I look forward to the time when our troops which include my fellow family members return home.

January 1, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Caroline, Los Angeles

@ Lee-I am suspicious about that too.

January 1, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  31. Bilen

Oh my gosh this is horrible 7 CIA officials thats just horrible. I hope the families are doing well.

January 1, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Erica,
    You're so great job fill-in for Anderson, Congrats!!!!! And Happy New Year! I also agree with you, I am glad Anderson back to work tonight! 🙂

January 1, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  33. A. Smith, Oregon

I hope President Obama let's heads roll in the CIA over their lapse in stopping the Nigerian bomber from boarding that flight to Detroit.

January 1, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Linda Strasberg

Erika, I didn't know you were expecting till you mentioned it the other day...you look wonderful...motherhood becomes you

January 1, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Maureen from Cali.

Hello anderson, Happy new year to everyone. Nice to have you back Anderson.

January 1, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  36. Emily

@Erica,

Glad to see you on the blog tonight! 🙂

I hope that you had a relaxing New Years.

I'm sure that AC is glad to have you back with him too! 😀
    I felt so bad for him last night...but he handled himself like a true gentleman!

January 1, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  37. ericacnn

@Caroline – you're right! It definitely flies the second time around.

Thanks for all the kind comments 🙂

January 1, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  38. Tim Las Vegas

Great to watch you guys bring in the New Year in New York and then we did it all over again here in Las Vegas. Yee Haa.

January 1, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  39. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone! OMG, I almost missed the show–I keep thinking it's Saturday. I just happened to go into the kitchen and decided to turn on the TV. Naturally it was tuned to CNN.

January 1, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  40. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@Erica

Happy New Year!!! Why aren't you on CNN International? I get upset with it!

January 1, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  41. Dean in L.A.

I think God-consciousness is feeling perfectly happy and safe not having your fight or flight response continually activated

January 1, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  42. Lee Martines

Dear Anderson,
    Having been through Amerstam airport many times, I know the security is very strict. How did this bomber get on this plane without proper documents and with no coat or luggage? I say there was a cover up or bribery at Amsterdam. There was a fellow on the plane that overheard the check in conversation and he had no passport.
    Could there have been bribery! People do strange things for money.
    Thanks,
    Suspicious

January 1, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Isabel Siaba (Brazil) & Emily,
    I agree both of you, I was also watching Anderson & Kathy for Happy New Year!! They made me so laugh, humor and asked a question for Anderson!!! I love it!!!!!!!!! 🙂 LOL!

January 1, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  44. Caroline, Los Angeles

Hello Erica-I didn't know your baby was so far along. It won't be long now!

January 1, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  45. lisal .canada

@cowboy not a bad idea, i think - perhaps dogs and tazers on the planes rather than guns

January 1, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  46. cowboy

The bomb that CIA was a big hit for the CIA just like 9/11

January 1, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  47. Tim - NJ

Anderson, paying for a ticket with cash is not a red flag in Nigeria. Most Nigerians pay for airline tickets with cash when booking in Nigeria. Credit cards are not common!

January 1, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Frank

Terrorist have always existed in Nigeria since the 80's when Late Dele Giwa was assasinated with a letter bomb for freedom of expression as a pressman, and the imposition of the Sharia law in the 90's by some northern Governors.
    The alleged Nigerian in question is a muslim, and most muslims in Nigeria are active sleeper cells of terrorist.
    It would be fair to other citizens and religions in Nigeria to address the alledged culprit as an islamic Nigerian.
    People around the world barely know about Nigeria and would be negative for viewers to see us as an islamic nation,while we are not one.
    Keep the good job on

January 1, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  49. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Erica, Happy New Year! You did an excellent job at the 360anchor desk. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

January 1, 2010 at 10:19 pm |