December 30th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/30/09

Tonight on 360°, new details on the missed signs linked to the man suspected of trying to blow up a U.S. jetliner in Detroit on Christmas Day. Plus, the top political stories of 2009 and comedian Kathy Griffin weighs in on the other big stories of the past year.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@ Erica

You're beautiful pregnant!

In 2010, I wish I had my second child too! Oops .... first New Year's Resolution! 🙂

December 30, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  2. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Just a thank you To Anderson,Erica,David G., Ed Henry,Randi,Ali ,Jack Gray etc.etc.for bringing me all of these news stories this year.It's been a privilege to watch this show ,participate in the blog and fun to win Beat360 3 times this year!! Happy and Healthy new year to all of you!

December 30, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  3. A. Smith, Oregon

Poor Anderson, is Kathy going to blast him with a New Years cream pie or some other surprise? If I ever meet Anderson Cooper, I'd gladly shake his hand if it were offered. Chin up Anderson, take one for the gipper!

December 30, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Sue Hauman

...for me, I just can't understand why everyone's so bent-out-of-shape with the President and Janet Napalitano regarding airport security in the United States when this latest attempt at terrorism ORIGINATED in Amsterdam..how come everyone's not 'madashell' at the President of AMSTERDAM or his 'secretary of security'???? Why are the republicans saying President Obama needs to do more HERE when these folks are coming IN from other countries...we're not EXPORTING terrorists...help me understand this thinking...

December 30, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  5. Molly

@Erica. You have done great the past 2 weeks! You'r handling Kathy well. When is CNN going to get you your own show?

December 30, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  6. Caroline, Los Angeles

Happy New Year!

December 30, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Nancy in Oregon

And Happy Full Blue Moon tomorrow!!!

December 30, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  8. Mike, Rockton, IL

If we try REAL hard, I'll bet we can come up with a whole bunch of GOOD things that happened this past year too.

December 30, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  9. Emily

Kathy Griffen is the closest thing that we have today to the classiest comics EVER... many of whom were all on the Dean Martin Roasts!

Don Rickles is still with us!

Kathy, you are so funny! 😛

December 30, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  10. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

I would like a coat of that ... I just do not know if I would have the opportunity to use it here! lol ...

December 30, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Nancy in Oregon

Happy New Year, Everyone! You're all great folks!

December 30, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Caroline, Los Angeles

I like the Tinkerbell earmuffs.

December 30, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  13. Helen M.California

The light bulb should have gone on in the ticket agent who sold a ticket to a man-1.traveling one-way ? 2.Paid cash? 3. No Baggage? 4. Nine or more hrs.flying??? I would have had a friendly conversation with him to see where and what was going on in his head. Then I would have brought this to the attention of my supervisor. It pays to be a little nosey. besides, he said he was lonely and needed someone to talk to.
    My personal insight having worked with the public for many years.

December 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Caroline, Los Angeles

Surprise guest tomorrow night--Levi!!

December 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  15. starr formerly known as vincent

WOW, it's hard to believe that so Much happened this last year!

Happy New Year to Everyone, 2010 has got to be better.

LOVE Kathy Griffen-she is hysterically funny and i'm looking forward to her and Anderson tomorrow night.(3rd year i think).

December 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Ronald Reimer

Sally – I like the way you talk.
    Ron, Cedarburg

December 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  17. jane - Vt

I think Joy Behar should be the cohost next year. She's a CNN person and she's funny and she isn't Kathy Griffin. My daughter loves Kathy, me not so much.

December 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  18. Dodie

Good Evening Erica Hill, CNN staff and bloggers...

Have a wonderful evening and a Prosperous New Years!!!

December 30, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  19. Emily

Kathy, NO Verbal malfunctions! hahhaaa!

December 30, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  20. Caroline, Los Angeles

Oh I don't want to be home alone watching Kathy make Anderson laugh tomorrow, but I suppose I will be. Kathy is good company....Anderson...well.... 😉 .

December 30, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@Erica,

you will be sorely missed, but it is understandable !!!!!

December 30, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Heather - Spokane, WA

I didnt know Erica was pregnant! Congrats Erica!

December 30, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  23. Jennifer - AZ

Kathy's a blast – glad to see her back!

December 30, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  24. Emily

Walter C. was GREAT!

RIP to all them who passed away, including Academy Winning Actress Jennifer Jones!

RIP @>–

December 30, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  25. Tom G.

Reference the Iran Protest segment:
    It was not clear about the gov't protest.
    Those protestors are usually bussed in by the gov't, they are usually paid, and certainly they are always fed for their participation in pro-gov't rallies.
    This point was not clear on tonights broadcast.

December 30, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  26. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Great retrospective !!!!! Thanks!

December 30, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  27. Molly

@Ron. Nice comment. I hope everything will be O. K. for Rush Limbaugh too.

December 30, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  28. A. Smith, Oregon

Harry Potter is tops, way better than Twilight and Vampire flicks! Potter even has a strong moralistic and maturity theme which is either missing or sorely watered down with Hollywood blockbuster features!

December 30, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  29. Emily

Loved Sully's book! 🙂

I'll never forget that occurrence! Glad I was not on the plane and watching it from afar!

December 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  30. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Where is AVATAR in the AC360's list?

December 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    I am too..... I will watch in the world to beginning new year right now! Can't wait for that!
    Kathy Griffin is really so funny as Anderson, She always teasing Anderson last year. she is really smart, funny, share to others. I love Kathy just punch Anderson's chest. LOL! 🙂

December 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  32. Moureen

Looking forward to ringing in the New Year with very FUNNY Kathy and very nice to look at Anderson! Happy New Year!!!!!

December 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  33. pattyanna from mass.

cheney should call it a day and go back to the "ponderosa" . go take care of the herd,mr.cheney..........

December 30, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  34. Emily

@Starr formerly known as vincent,

It's been quite a year too!
    Lots to discuss, from health care, etc.

So many things occurred! The News is the one Reality TV show that I love, in a decade that seemed to be overwhelmed in "Reality" TV!

December 30, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  35. Vicki

Where was Chaney for the 8 years when he and his boy put our country in 2 wars? We couldn't find him when he was incharge. Now he sounds like he will say anything to draw attention to the NO OBAMA party..

Where is their "patrotism.".Chaney and his gang and heir attitudes we are weaking the character of
    America. They have made America the land of the cry babies not the land of the.brave.

December 30, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  36. David, Indiana

@Emily, It was the intvw w/ the Haskells where I heard that he might not have a passport. Is there additional info about AbdulMutallab being searched when taken into custody?

And you're right this blog in addition to the broadcast is great, actually amazing to be reading comments and commenting as news is reported and discussed.

December 30, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  37. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

I love Kathy and Anderson together!! They work off of each other in a unique way.She tries to make him squirm and he squirms.It's all in fun!

December 30, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  38. Jane

How could CNN possibly agree to have Kathy Griffin again this year on New Years Eve coverage. Last year was worse than terrible. Wouldn't watch her again on a bet.

December 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  39. Nancy in Oregon

I agree Emily-great job, Erica.

December 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  40. A. Smith, Oregon

My respect for Denise Richards has gone up after Charlie Sheen appears to have violently assaulted and threatened his second wife with a butcher knife!

December 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  41. Sunny living in hong kong

I respect him and respect his attributes but he should allow the present administration to do their job,encourage them instead of criticise them always,if he have any grudges against anybody in this present administration,for peace sake...let it end as the year 2009 is ending

December 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  42. Lloyd Ainey

Why has it taken 9 years to think of a "fly list"

We need to unclog the system. The mess of people that line up for searches are a place to hide for terrorist trying to infiltrate the system. Have people who have flown 20 times this year, recognized as harmless and give them a coded (iris scan, etc.) passage. It is not worth the time we spend searching them, time and time again. Give them credentials and check them simply.

December 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  43. Jennifer - AZ

What's happening in Iran is fascinating. I wish them the best in their own need for change.

What are the demographics of the present government supporters?

December 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  44. Tade

Hey Erica: Do you know that you and AC360 are my number one reason for watching CNN. You are doing outstanding job. Keep it that way. Big love and appreciation for you.

December 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  45. Emily

@Erica,

You've been doing a great job, hosting since Anderson has been away!

It's been great having you on the blog in 2009, and seeing you on the show! 🙂

I hope that you and your family have a Happy & Healthy 2010! 🙂

December 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  46. starr formerly known as vincent

I pray for the protestors in Iran. I know there is little that we can do, but if anyone of them sees this post, know that i support you.

December 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  47. pattyanna from mass.

what are we coming to when they put kathy against anderson on new years eve? anderson doesn"t have a chance, happy new year everyone!!! love the show love to read the comments from all the people, they are all enjoyable......

December 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  48. A. Smith, Oregon

The Iranian protesters began stopping the Muslim guards on motorcycles wielding steel rebar to randomly beat people on the street.

The Muslim guards are now using pickup trucks to simply run over the protesters in the street!

December 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  49. Ron from PA

I never want anyone to suffer harm. I hope Rush Limbaugh is ok, hope that it does not turn out to be serious and that he has a speedy recovery.

December 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

That video of the person being ran over by the ambulance was shocking! Why on earth would someone in that position to help people do that?

December 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm |