December 30th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/30/09

Tonight on 360°, new details on the missed signs linked to the man suspected of trying to blow up a U.S. jetliner in Detroit on Christmas Day. Plus, the top political stories of 2009 and comedian Kathy Griffin weighs in on the other big stories of the past year.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Emily

@ Mara,

"SC Gov Mark Sanford is a real fool!!"

Agreed!

I think that the guys in JibJab did a good job with his foolish antics!

December 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gady Mayen – Hamilton, Canada
    Rush Limbaugh has pain his chest, to rushed to hospital during his vacation time.

December 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  3. Dodie

I have a great deal of respect for the Iranian people. They are willing to risk their lives to make changes! Freedom often comes at a price. They are willing to prove this.

December 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

What a folly!! It's amazing and very sad!

December 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  5. olivia

i know that there was great fear concerning the almost successful attempt to blow up the flight over Detroit. i would have been afraid too, but i have not heard any comments concerning the nigerian's calm attitude while his flesh was terribly burned. i wonder what kind of drug was he on to not react to fire. can you imagine having hand to hand combat with someone who does not react to the power of fire.....

December 30, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  6. andrew

good evening anderson cooper

i think its a discrace this person was able to get on the flight, with the info we already had on him, and also by his father.

i think pres obama and both parties really need to wake up.
    this is unaccepable to me and the american people.

tank you happy new year anderson.

December 30, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  7. Emily

I love those prison dancers from the Philippines!

They are from the Philippines right?

Funny stuff! 🙂
    Much better than the prison in classic film CHL!

December 30, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Emma

Poor Anderson - stuck with Kathy Griffin again for New Year's Eve. She was awful last year. Rude and very UNFUNNY!

December 30, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  9. joe

I love how Dick points to all Americans that it took Pres Obama 3 days to comment on failed attack, did he mention it took his former boss twice that number of days? 6 days.

December 30, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  10. Richard

I believe if the US had communicated better with all the security agencies then, the Christmas Day terrorist would have been stopped. Also if he was put on the "No Fly List" then this individual would not have been able to board an airplane.

As well if all the US airports and Canadian airports had full body scanners then this would definitely prevent any terrorist attack on the USA and Canada. As well I believe that Canada should have these full body scanners as well. I think it is time to evaluate and consider what is more important privacy issues regarding these full body scanners or the safety and security of Americans and Canadians. As well these scanners in my opinion trump any privacy issues and should definitely be implemented to prevent any possible future terrorist attacks on USA and Canada.

December 30, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  11. Nancy

Hello,
    First – We got rid of Cheney. I can give a hoot what he thinks. He said nothing..nothing to help us.. this country move foreward.
    Secondly – I can get over myself and not take myself so seriously if a full body scan is necessary. Frankly, I think everyone should have to drive through a car scan, then the dogs and people scannners should meet everyone everyone at their car at the curb. And again before they board if that isn't good enough...I confess I've watched a few Star Trek episodes.
    Thirdly – I'm sick of the Senate and House being so disfunctional in regards to the health care bill. "Get over your egos, or your fired!"

happy friggin new year

December 30, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

michael armstrong sr. TX
    Lots famous people. Including Michael Jackson.

December 30, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@michael armstrong sr. TX.

I heard a joke that this year we lost the best singer, the best actor and the best actress, but the corrupt politicians are safely.

December 30, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Lori

Up is a great movie.

December 30, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  15. Marie

Why Cheney is talking about in the news....Hís comments are making everyone more concern if we are in war or not...Everyones knows that we're in war....he doesn't have to remind us more the everyday that the American people are living. Or He is using the same tactics at the Middle East of having Americans live in an everyday scare.... If He couldn't fix or implemented it in a better way when he was in the office, then why he is critizing what Obamas does. This is what He left behind....

December 30, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Heather - Spokane, WA

I like Kathy I think she is so funny, but I have to admit that Im surprised that she is back after what happened last year. I am glad to see that she is back again though

December 30, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Andrew

Can someone please explain to me how TSA or the xrays installed in American airports will stop a traveler whose trip originated from another country.

December 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  18. Larry

Thumbs way way up to the man or men who subdued the Terrorist!!

December 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  19. Emily

@ kathy Murphy,

"Why didn't the US pull his Visa like the UK?"

Good question! Did you hear an answer?
    I missed the first 20mins or so! 😦

December 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  20. Dodie

I think President Obama is doing an excellent job. He has had to put out more fires than any other present in our history. The poor guy could not even take a week off in Hawaii...

December 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  21. A. Smith, Oregon

It is really refreshing to see that Karma is alive and well today with a large group of CIA agents blown up in Afghanistan and Rush Limbaugh in the hospital, Happy New Year!

December 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  22. Mary Ann

Keeping them honest, expose all the 9/11 committee members & hold them accountable for not implimenting the suggestions of 5 years ago. Just how AC exposed the bank bailout benefactors

December 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  23. Adam

Mr. Cheney and Mr. Bush practically lost two wars, trillion dollars and put us at odds with almost all our allies. This tells me that Mr. Cheney is not competent in the security matters. I would not take seriously any his opinions on this subject.

December 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  24. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Happy about the choice of Thriller!

December 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  25. Emily

Happy New Year to the British Hostage that has been released from Iraq!

December 30, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  26. Aubrey

Good evening. Some heads in State Dept and CIA should roll for this NW 253 foul up. There are no excuses for not having the no fly list updated and current and keeping these terrorists off US soil.

December 30, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Emily Harder

Regarding the attempted act of terrorism on the Detroit flight and the use of PETN....it makes me wonder how many of these 'bombs' have been brought into the US undetonated and undetected to build up a readily available supply for terrorists within our borders.....

December 30, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  28. Molly

Here are my ideas to upgrade security:
    There are no carry-on bags. You take nothing on the plane – no eyeglasses, computers, cell phones, jewelry, etc. . . All baggage and "stuff" is checked through including medications. You have a men's dressing room and a women's dressing room. You take everything off and put on disposable clothing – like a hospital gown. You put your clothing in a bag and it too is checked through. Then you are patted down by a screener (The screener's old job was to check the carry-on baggage.) The airplane is now stocked with things like diapers, candy, orange juice, medications, and whatever else people might normally pack in carry-on. Anyone needing medication is given it from the airplane "pharmacy". Sounds a little inconvenient and uncomfortable? Get used to it.

December 30, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  29. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

So Rush was rushed to the hospital.....Hmmmm.I don't care for him,personally but I do hope that he's OK.

December 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  30. Emily

That's not good whenever anyone has to go to the hospital! (even Rush Limbaugh!)

They are not fun places to be, and during the holidays....
    hope that he is okay!

December 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  31. Mike formerly from Syracuse

Until Swedish grandmothers start hijacking and blowing up planes, every young Muslim male flying on a US pane or to the US needs a full body scn. Profiling? Heck yes, it's time to put lives over PC.

December 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  32. Jennifer - AZ

@ Pam

"a scanner that looks for explosives and medical problems"

I like that idea! Convenient and efficient!

December 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Helen

As far as know both democrats and republicans die in terrorist attack. I would think it will be beneficial to both parties to coorporate.

December 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  34. Bob Pomeroy

Chertoff and Cheney, like their administration, talk out of both sides of their mouthes and deserve neither air time, credibility, or even charity. Chertoff held forth on how it was the president's job to put pressure on the agencies to share information, and that his president did that, but never got to why it didn't work, except to blame the ACLU. Then, he used his efforts at building a fence around America, a completely different matter, to argue that he got scarred trying to make America safe - the old Mexican fruit pickers are terrorists argument.
    Cheney will be remembered for his billions of no-bid contracts to Halliburton, his Enron-formulated energy program, and for shooting his friend in the face. He is the very image of a war profiteer, and has nothing more to offer than attempts at self-justification.
    Curse them Both.

December 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  35. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

There are moments in 2009 that hurt to be reminded!

The best moment of the year (for me) was my son saying 'mom'! 🙂

December 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  36. Aubrey Gore

As you read Mr cheneys letter over and over please list the short comings of the bush administration. It shouldn't take but a week or two

December 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  37. Barb

Good Evening Erica Hill!

If you are not here tomorrow by chance, I just wanted to wish you Happy New Year in advance! Wish you have a wonderful year! I enjoy watching you picking on AC... and if I may say I have great respect for you!

Barb

December 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Caroline, Los Angeles
    I agree!

Emily,
    I am too..... I will watch CNN in the world to beginning new year right now! Can't wait for that!

December 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  39. Emily

@ Megan,

I hope that Anderson and Kathy have good weather tomorrow night in New York!

It should be a blast no matter what, a new year, and a new decade! 🙂

December 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  40. David, Indiana

@Isabel missed you last night too. Happy New Year to you and all of us here on the AC360 blog. Always enjoy reading your thoughts.

It's possible for any admin to loosen up, opposition criticism is helpful.
    Though James Carville is right, President Obama is not backing away from any fights. He seems to be engaging more completely and also by easing tension and conflict.

December 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  41. starr formerly known as vincent

@Emily & Isabel,

You both make an excellent point about this blog. It has been a true gift to me too. I really appreciate sharing the 1st ammendment rights with everyone else speaking on this blog!

2010 can only be Better.

Terrific report by Candy C.! We are very lucky that CNN has such a great group of analysists & reporters (and anchors too). smile

December 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Do the families of the 8 CIA agents know that their dead?

I know that often times they don't know that the person works for the CIA but that they just have a job for the government else where with Top Secret clearances.

How did they know where they where? Who they were?

December 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  43. C Brown

I'm sick and tired of Americans attacking each other while the face of the enemy is staring right at us. Cheney is the perfect picture of idocracy! GOP is playing this blame game with the Obama Administration. Can we all remember Who got America in this dilema.

December 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  44. jane - Vt

I am so thankful we have President Obama and not President McCain and Vice President Palin. My prayers were answered.

December 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Emily

Who did not see Sarah Palin's future there?
    A book deal, etc?

That was pretty predictable!

that was terrible when we found out about former Sen. John Edwards.
    Elisabeth Edwards was all Class!

December 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  46. Shivam

As a legal immigrant to this country I would have to say that putting people through this scanner en masse does not sound like the America that encouraged me to build my life here... Benjamin Franklin once noted, "any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

We cannot allow the terrorists to scare us away from the liberties that are the foundation of this great nation; I do not have any problems if they put someone on the "watch lists" through this thing but sending everyone through these scanners is an assault on our liberties.

December 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  47. sally

Remember we are all Americans, forget Democrats and Republicans, vote for thhe people and keep us safe. There are to many cooks in the kitchen.
    Eliminate Homeland Security, and give our security into the hands of the vice-president and a bi-partisan group of congress. Let them answer to the American people if we are not safe.

December 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  48. Sabrina in Los Angeles

What about the asteroid "Apophis"?

Named for the evil Egyptian alien ruler from Stargate SG-1.

Apep is the Greek name for the Egyptian god -the Uncreator/serpent who tries to swallow the Earth.

Foe of Ra, the Egyptian Sun god.

December 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  49. michael armstrong sr. TX.

How many rich and famous died in 2009 ?

December 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Harman

When things like CIA agents getting killed by supposed suicide bombers occur it should always bring up a red flag in the minds of Americans. These types of attacks, including the car bombings, and other suicide bombings in the middle east are anything but "random." It is hard to believe that a suicide bomber was able to breach security and enter into a complex and then detonate himself once approaching random people, which happened to be CIA agents. This act is not a random occurance when the bomber was able to get passed security because if the act was indeed random then how would the bomber be sure that he wouldn't be caught at the gates and exposed. Those CIA agents were more than likely "silenced."

December 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |