December 22nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/22/09

Tonight on 360°, all the angles on the Senate health care reform frenzy. We're tracking the cash. What lobbyists have spent pushing for reform and what it could cost you and your family. Plus, some of Anderson's most awkward moments on-air in 2009.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Molly

I'm glad that David Goldman is willing to let the Brazilian family still visit with Sean. Maybe the boy will still get to have some type of contact with his little sister.

December 22, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  2. Valerie NYC

I never understood why Sean´s mother ran away/kidnapped her son in the first place. Was it solely due to the fact she wanted to move back to Brazil or was there something else behind that? Either way, I am glad father and son will re-unite and return home soon.

December 22, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  3. starr, formerly known as vincent

Hi Erica, you ave to be busy, moderating more than one show. Glad to see you on the blog always.

Yes, some levity is much appreciated.

December 22, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  4. Rand spokane wa.

Sure hope that family gets their son/grandson back to the states for Christmas.

December 22, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  5. Cynthia

Although I would have liked to see a bill with a public option, I have renewed respect for Harry Reid, the senator from Rhode Island, and especially Nancy Peloski. I am dismayed hearing congressmen and senators complain about how tired they are as they forfeit their long vacation breaks to work on behalf of the American people. Isn't that what we vote them in to do? Also, I would like to remind them as they complain about working so hard, that they are complaining to millions of people who wished they were working. If congress is not to tired after health care, maybe they can get to work on getting the American people some jobs!

December 22, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  6. Richard, Kankakee, IL.

I think we should cut off all trade with Brazil! The boys other family members care nothing for the rest of the family, they are so selfish!

December 22, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Betty Ozguard

I wish they would call the bill what it is closer to resembling: the "Health Insurance Reform Act" instead of a "health care" bill, because there is neither health nor care in this bill.

December 22, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  8. Dulcie - Denver

To those who are saying that it's not fair that the more successful absorb some of the cost for those who are less wealthy!

You are already bearing the costs for the uninsured. People who are uninsured and without resources will postpone medical treatment until it's critical and then go to the ER. Much higher costs associated with that. ER's cannot turn away someone who's critically ill.

December 22, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  9. Jim

Once again the middle class will pay the cost. the lower income take a free ride. and the rich will find a loop hole out of this, like they always do. what kills me is that the people who need the help, the people on medicare. they will get nailed worse than anyone else. Americans need too wake up and smell the coffe. this is on the edge of communism, if you ask me. making me buy something i dont want, but of course we need.

December 22, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  10. Brandi - bottom of the boot

the boy should be with his biological father. he was stolen from him during the most precious years of his life. so sad.

December 22, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  11. ericacnn

Hi, everyone. I'm sorry I missed the blog last night. Hope you're all having a good week and that you enjoyed that moment of levity, sorely needed, as David Gergen pointed out.

December 22, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  12. penny

Somebody please answer this: If this healthcare reform is so great, why is it that the president and members of congress say they will not give up their current cushy healthcare and take the plans they are trying to push down all of our throats?

December 22, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  13. starr, formerly known as vincent

@steve, virginia beach

Thank you for your post. I was not aware that Mr. Goldman made that offer to the Brazilian family. He is a man of good heart for doing that.

December 22, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  14. Tom Kara

For David Gergen:
    Hello , david. I've heard your commnets on the partisan nature of the vote on health care and how it compares to previous social
    legislation. In each case, coudl it be that the Congress felt that there
    was a clear mandate from teh voters on these issues. They recognized that Roosevelt and Johnson were elected by huge margins and that they had the support of the electorate for the
    legislation. They did not want to go against the tide.

December 22, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  15. jc

To David Gergen:

Your point about the non-partisan legislation in the 60s is quite valid. I would like to suggest that your former boss, President Nixon had alot to do with the change to the partisan situation we have today. It was the southern strategy that drove southern Democrats (Dixiecrats) to the Republican Party. And as a result of this change, the party became more conservative overall, thus changing liberal Republican states, like those in the northeast from Republican to Democrat. Perhaps this was an unanticipated result, but I believe there is a direct connection between the Nixon strategy and the strong and unyielding ideological divide we are seeing today.

December 22, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  16. jeannie

I was watching ur show a few minutes ago & it was very informative. I cant believe we would end up paying between 12,000-14,000 on medical expense.
    Im very dissapointed in overall with healthcare. due to 1.preexisting conditions,2. high premiums, 3co pay 4lab expenses, 5hospital bill, 6. prescription expense 7 doctors expense and the list goes on . why do we currently have 2 pay seperate bills and so high.why can we just pay one low premium 2 include 1 simple bill. and how is it that other countries have great health reforms with little expense and we cant adapt some of the positive strategies

December 22, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  17. Kerfala

Erica, I'm now very nervous about this healthcare bill after listening to Tom Foreman. I worked very hard to get my eduation and salary. I believe, while I was working toward by degree, others were sleeping or wasting time on none fruitful things. I don't see why I should pay $14,000 annaully for my families health insurance. Congress should rethink their actions or else president Obama is not getting my vote in 2012. I did vote for him in 2008 and I have not seen any change.

December 22, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  18. A. Smith, Oregon

There are likely still appeals that could be filed by the Brazilian family members of the deceased wife in this case. However, the wives Brazilian relatives case looks to be weaker as a result of this judges summary.

December 22, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  19. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Hopefully Sean gets to come home to the States for the Holiday.

I hope he gets to be with his dad, not the step family.

I know that he needs to have them in his life but the biological father is supposed to have him.

God willing they get to fix their lives and move on.

December 22, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  20. charlie

It is outrageous for US lawmaker to introduce international trade threats into a domestic dispute. It Demonstrates again the US lack of repsect for other countries legal systems witness, Scotland, Italy, now Brazil. Now we sill never know whether the Brazilian legal system worked or was seubverted by the US political threats.

December 22, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  21. John

Why should I pay?

December 22, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  22. Dodie

Very sad that he is fighting for his own child.

December 22, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  23. David

Hello Erica, first wishing you a Merry Christmas, and you do a wonderful job, that is a lot of money those lobbies put out, where do they get it?

December 22, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  24. JohnM

The figures presented re: the cost of healthcare demonstrate, yet again, how the middle class pays: the family making $35k pays about 10% out-of-pocket for healthcare; the family making $70k pays about 20%; the family making $200k pays 15%. What's wrong here?

December 22, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  25. Warren Smith

Thank you for focusing on the costs that may result from this unprecedented healthcare legislation. My concern is: should Government be allowed to tell us what we must purchase? I mean where does it stop? What if, for example, retirement savings is legislated as a universal right? Will Government direct how much I must save? Or how about – vacation rights, automotive vehicle rights, cell phone rights? What's to prevent Congress from legislating more and more required purchasing?

December 22, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  26. Jennifer

I work in an agency that deal with people and their healthcare. I hear horror stories of companies dropping seniors or folk with pre-existing conditions, it's sad. I myself could not afford healthcare for my daughter and she was stricken with H1N1 and the hospital didn't treat her. I was terrified. So some of us need this. Most of us are the ones who voted President Obama into office.

December 22, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  27. Mel

Why are so few not upset about the way this bill was passed - is it okay with people that so many senators extorted money for their vote - is that just fine with everyone. Is this the way our government now works?

I for one an outraged. What does it take for people to say - enough! Ben Nelson, Chris Dodd, Mary Landrieu, shame on you.

December 22, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  28. Karen

I also feel that, yes, it's extremely partisan, but it is clear that there was *nothing* that could have been put forward that this Republican party would agree on. They don't seem to even like ideas that are IN the bill that are supported by Republicans! I feel like you simply can compare now with the past because, most likely, because of money and because time has marched on and we are a much more diverse country, particularly on ideology. I don't know if you can ever get the cooperation needed for a truly bi-partisan reform on anything.

December 22, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  29. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

First the rushed and totally ineffective Stimulus Bill, now a rushed and massively expensive health care bill. Whatever happened to getting it right?

December 22, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  30. A John Haddad MD

Affordable Healthcare==not for profit health insurance companies since Americans do not trust a medicare for all

we need this form of reform, not reform supporting the current insurance and pharma cartels !

AJH MD

December 22, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  31. starr, formerly known as vincent

THANK YOU BOB! Great reading!

Like several other bloggers, i wonder how the Senate & House will "marry" the very different bills into one.

I pray that David Gergen is wrong on the continuation of severe partisan antics in the next three years, but it does look like it will take a miracle to get the two parties to start to work together again.
    For the "good" of our country, i hope they can get past their anger at eachother and work in a bi-partisan way.,

December 22, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  32. James

I work for a medicare replacement insurance company. It is amazing how much more a private company can offer using the same or less money than the government would use in its own program. Instead of a member paying 20%, they have set, often lower, copays, and preventative services are free to members.

December 22, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  33. A. Smith, Oregon

The Health Care bill should FORCE American Medical Association-Western Doctors to take a much larger percentage of medicare patients. Presently, they refuse any but a tiny token percentage and berate those patients for that AMA MD. not making a huge amount of money for treating them.

December 22, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  34. Jose

Ah yes, David, punish success and hard work!

December 22, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  35. Matthew Tutas

i agree with health care bill as long as every one of congress and senate and even the President pay the same as the American People pay. ITS time the people of America stand up and fight for what is right.

December 22, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  36. penny

hey, I make about $35,000 per year by working 6 & 7 days per week and I can't afford to pay over $2000 for health care! So when you say that is affordable, I assume it's because you make more than I do and have "extra" left over. My premium through my employer is about $12 per week out of my check, and I hope the gov't doesn't do anything to change it because then I'll just have to get some of the free obamacare and sponge off of the gov't for a change.

December 22, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

starr, formerly known as vincent,
    Yes, They did! Sean will go home his father in New Jersey this week..... I am glad you are so happy for them. Yes, I agree with you..

December 22, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  38. Eddie

Ok I am a family of 6 we live on 30,000 a year and my wife and I are full time students how are we going to afford this new health care plan???

December 22, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  39. Jeff

We need Health Care Reform Now! Get her done!

December 22, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  40. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Marissa, "Shouldn't the person who has worked hard be able to reap the benefits earned from long hours of hard work??"

That's what Republicans think. Democrats think everyone should get a share, whether they earned it or not.

December 22, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  41. Dave

Why can't both parties start building this house from the bottom, Democrats are building the roof before they have the supporting structure. Bad for Amercica!

December 22, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  42. Sharon R. Holmes

Everyone is talking about the household that earns 30,000 or more and how the health care bill will affect them but CNN has not said a thing about families who earn less then 30,000 per year or the household of one. Could you please give some info for POOR people who lives and works on main street.

December 22, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  43. Chad

I'm a Canadian who finds the US health care debate very interesting. After just seeing your health care cost review...I am glad to be Canadian, we may have higher taxes but I never have to worry about health care. Wait 5 hours in a hospital room vs $30,000 in bills....I'll wait. CNN should compare other countries health care costs compared to what is happening in the US. (i.e. tax a Canadian families taxes vs US Famiy taxes plus health care costs)

December 22, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Rose

When discussing all the possible insurance premiums, please include Senior Seniors.
    Millions of Seniors income is Social Security.
    They seem to be overlooked as to their needs.

December 22, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Jennifer

I think there is too much disclosure in congress. Even in business, management do not disclose everything to employees. Bottom line we needed reform in health care and I think this Bill is just the beginning.

December 22, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  46. John

The government needs only to be involved to prevent illegal practices, fraud or other conduct which is not beneficial in society. Aside from that, the Government needs to stay out of health care and let capitalist market work. The government cannot increase "competition" with private insurance markets. It will not be a fair competition when the government is "competing" with private insurance companies.

December 22, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  47. shelley

This is not reform. "Doing something" is not always doing the right thing and who in the world thinks a family making $70000 a year can afford $7000 in insurance premium plus out of pocket? I make more than that and pay less than $2000 now through a company plan, but it is enough strain on my budget. I'm a Democrat but the party has become allself-righteous talk, all show with no connection to the beleagered middle class.

December 22, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  48. A. Smith, Oregon

@sandy miami fl. Good point, many that are currently unemployed are not able in any fashion to purchase a health care insurance policy.

December 22, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Chris

I have worked in health care for almost 20 years as a paramedic and I realize that we need reform, but not this way. Between my salary and my wife's we earn about $40,000/year. I have a great Blue Cross plan that I'm happy with(very happy with). That bunch of crooks in DC will likely classify mine as a Cadillac plan and pummel me with extra fees. My kids will get sticks of wood next Christmas because I'll be paying for this junk.

December 22, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  50. DK

Healthcare bill is definitely needed but the taxation of the middle class and upper middle class is extremely lob-sided. What about the large corporations and incomes above $200,000?

December 22, 2009 at 10:18 pm |