December 15th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/15/09

Tonight on 360°, the new twists in the fight over health care reform. We'll look at why it seems Sen. Joe Lieberman seems to be the most powerful and hated man right now on Capitol Hill. Plus, the health dangers of CT scans and more.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Nancy Ree

The spending bill is horrible. Going through it however you used equipment for Irritable Bowel Syndrome research as an example. It sounds funny but it is very important. It is a debilitating disease many suffer from. Cancer often follows it. A good use of money to prevent human suffering. Hit the abuses.

December 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  2. Jennifer - AZ

Apparently I'm out of the loop – what the heck is "Nine"?

December 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  3. Dulcie - Denver

Well, at least there's a lot more transparency in having people having to 'own' their earmarks.

Also, I think money for Irritable Bowel Syndrome is ok. I have friends who have it and it's pretty miserable. I'd call that 'Public Benefit'.

December 15, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  4. Mark Bumgarner

Anderson having had IBS since a child, now over 50, the money for irritable bowel is to little to late. People who don't have it just can't comprehend the struggle. Leave in the money.

December 15, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  5. Arthur

@Minal

You could ask that the radiation dosages be checked and reviewed by the Radiation Safety Officer.

That said, if your son had no burn marks, loss of hair of acute illnesses following the scans, chances are that he was not overexposed.

But that, of course, is not formal medical advice.

December 15, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I watch you this morning on Regis and Kelly show, You were so funny man and you interview Fergie and others..... Good job co-hosting with Kelly. Awesome! 🙂

December 15, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  7. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

why do the rules only apply to the average joe and jane and not the people in power?

December 15, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  8. A. Smith, Oregon

@Arthur, there is no safe level of ionizing radiation for children and pregnant women. There are however the lowest levels deemed medically necessary to perform a critically needed medical diagnosis which is well documented and implemented.

Ionizing radiation also is found in nature. More granite counter-tops trigger Homeland Security Radiation sensors than anything else.

December 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

These government crooks will try to justify anything.

December 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  10. Dion

Man i thought Americans were better than this we all are nothing but greedy humans who don't care about their citizens. money money money

December 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  11. starr, formerly known as vincent

I thought that "earmarks" were supposed to be over. I guess it too good to be true.

It doesn't seem to matter whick party it is, they ALL spend our money like water.

With everything else going on in Congress & the Senate, i have given up on the 2 party system. I would really like to see a strong 3rd party developed with all new people!
    Great report by Mr. ohns.

December 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  12. Barry

Irritable Bowel Syndrome, known as IBS, is a legitimate gastro–intestinal condition that can be very serious and debilitating for those whos suffer from this disease. It wasn't right to single out research on this illness as an example of a "fluff" earmark. The statement implied that the name was either made up, or not that serious. That's not helpful to people who suffer from this illness.

December 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  13. Jennifer - AZ

I want names. Names! Congress is clogging up the vote for health care because they're worried about the money. I don't mind giving them money for important state improvements, but don't whine to me about health care bill costs and unemployment and then spend my dollars on garbage.

December 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  14. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Anderson~ About that CT scan. You just can't win so don't try. I want to just stay in bed sometimes and pull the covers over my head.
    Yikes and a few stronger words are applicable.

December 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  15. Kathy Chicago

Good for Evan B Will Washington never learn. They love to waste our money.

December 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  16. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

So what Joe is saying is that they aren't trying to change, they are trying to be more deceptive. That is comforting!

December 15, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  17. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

These earmark crazy people need to go in order to teach the others a lesson.

December 15, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  18. tompan

Some of those earmarks are for very worthwhile projects–let's not throw them all away.

December 15, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  19. Shelley C.

Can you address what effect these scans could have on those who receive them as part of their ongoing cancer treatment? My child has had cancer for 8 years, and in that time she has received 24 CT scans (in addition to the 102 other xrays, PET scans, Galliums, etc.) t seemed likke a lot of radiation exposure so several years ago we asked about the amount of radiation she was being exposed to and were told the reward basically outweighed the risk. As her cancer has returned two more times since then, it makes me wonder how much of her current situation is due to prolonged exposure.

December 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  20. Kelley Endre

Does anyone know how much radiation an RV test will give off? I had to breathe in gas for one part and then they injected 3 vials of dye for the second part.

December 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  21. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

OINK!

December 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  22. RENE/HOUSTON TX

research for IBS is a good thing.. I have IBS man this sucks not alot of answers for it... I cant sleep or eat what I WANT. My life has been high jacked from this Illness I almost lost my wife cuz she did not understand y I HURT SO MUCH...

December 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  23. Kate

I feel sick to my stomach- my two year old daughter had a ct scan (head only) when she was 20 mths following a fall off a bed. Turned out she was absolutely fine- now I just have guilt and anxiety. I'm a worrier anyway- now there's something else to add to the list!!!!!!!!!!!

December 15, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Drew did some excellent reporting on earmarks. I called my government reps, but Sherrod Brown never answered my emails or phone calls.

December 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  25. David, Indiana

There seems to be mounting pressure on Republicans and more liberal Democrats. A great panel discussion on health care legislation as it stands now.

It is a massive recall on those window shades and blinds, but it's a voluntary recall, can anyone tell me how that works.

An Octopus's garden?

December 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  26. charlie

Earmarks and lobbying. That is what the rest of the world calls corruption. Get the money out of politics or accept that you will be ruled by and for the rich. Communism failed for obvious enough reasons, now the failures of US style capitalism are becoming just as obvious.

December 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  27. Heather - Spokane, WA

Who lives in a coconut shell under the sea?........OctoPete Long Pants

December 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  28. Kelley Endre

I just had 2 scans yesterday; one for my heart and one for my lungs (looking for possible clots). I was relieved when given a clean bill of health but now I have to worry about this? I am 40 and have 3 children (one is only 2 mo. old) Will I be around to see them grow up? I am terrified!!!

December 15, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  29. Dulcie - Denver

Whoa! That octopus is really cool! Hah!

Love you Tom Foreman! Read your letters to the Prez every day.

December 15, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Lori

Hello Anderson, Tom, Erica, 360, and Everyone! Happy Tuesday!

December 15, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Kathy Chicago

How nice of our Gov. to allow detainees to Ill. I think it is time we turn from corrupt Democrats back to corrupt Republicans. It's nice to take turns.

December 15, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

My heart goes to Oral Robert's families and friends.

December 15, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I enjoyed watching Fergie and Ne-Yo on Regis this morning. I am looking forward to seeing "Nine," I have always liked Fergie, but I never realized just how strong her voice really is!

Oh yeah, and I loved her dogs Zoey and Meatloaf! They are adorable!

December 15, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  34. Minal

well, my son was detected to be allergic to almost everything (all food – literally everything), and so had gone through lot of x-rays test and once CT scan. is there any way to find out if he has been affected by those.

December 15, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  35. Jack

CT Scans can be life saving. It depends on the type of CT scan that you have how much radiation that you are getting. I am happy that this issue is being publicized so that the ordering physicians will think twice before ordering so many. The overuse can also be attributed to the reimbursement methods currently in use in healthcare today.

December 15, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  36. Bob P RN - Iowa

Democrats just lost my vote – I feel betrayed – I like hundreds of thousands made thousands of calls this past election cycle.

Not in 2010 – or 2012

This bill is a give away to Health Insurance Corps with little reform. This is a joke. I talked to over 20 friends tonight that feel the same. Scarry thing is Republicans running this country again

Personally I really dont think it makes one bit of difference who is in office in the end coroortations run Washington. Change was a pipe dream.

December 15, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  37. Arthur

@Minal
    There is no scientific evidence that children are somehow more sensitive to medical radiation.

December 15, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  38. starr, formerly known as vincent

I supported Olympia Snow's trigger program. If the ins. co.s did not lower premiums, a public option would be initiated. Why is that not still an option.

Now, there will be NO competition re: prices for health ins. policies!

@Ame & David Indiana, i know PRT scans are used for some diagnosis. MRI's are the most versatile and definitive testing that i am aware of. Of course they cost 3-4 times the amt. of CT scans.

December 15, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  39. Sherrian

I would suggest to Democrats and all who care about health reform to take Joe Lieberman off any committee of influence or power. The Dem party looks extremely weak now because they look like they have no backbone. Nobody fights for the people. Joe says no and you cave in. The people want a public option but nobody can stand up to Joe or the Blue Dogs. I cannot see how anyone will be motivated the way we all were to work for the election of Obama to reach down inside and work like that again. For what? I cannot see the millions of young people coming together again if they see no results of their labor. I think Howard Dean should have had a bigger role in health care because he has a boldness that the Dems need.

December 15, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  40. Minal

hi agian. Anderson, you did not mention anything about kids exposed to CT scan. My son who is 9 years right now, had CT scan when he was 6 yrs old. How do i find out about the effects. How long it takes to show the effect (negative).
    answer /feed back would be truly appreciated.

December 15, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  41. Vinny

CT Scans and other raidiology tests deemed safe have always posed risk,but who will keep the healthcare industry honest and who will have to pay in the end? We still can't pass healthcare reform bill.

December 15, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  42. Kathy Chicago

Passing a bad bill just to make Obama try to look good is a bad idea. There is a reason that Congress is rated lower than used car salesman and barely above lawers. They are happy to sell their souls for lobbiests and votes.

December 15, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  43. charlie

Requiring 60% to pass laws is the reasons the US is rapidly falling behind the rest of the world. Most modern democracies use 50% to pass laws so change is possible.

December 15, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  44. Gail

Hi Anderson:

I have had 4 CT scans on my lungs in the past 3 years. The most recent 3 weeks ago. I have also had numerous chest x-rays. I was told that the x-rays had more radiation than the CT scan.

How would I know what the level of radiation was given? I have severe asthma problems and it is now a grave concern concerning my lungs for lung cancer?

December 15, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Bobby Barnabas

Hi Anderson,

Dr. Sanjay Gupta touched on new imaging technology. We do need devices that emiit low radation. Dominion dvis is the answer. It only emmits 1% radiation compared to regular Ct scans and 50% less on X-rays.

December 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I don't believe my eyes, Joe Liberman was opposed that bill healthcare against older age 55. Not right against healthcare to opposed. I hope they are voting again healthcare.

December 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  47. David, Indiana

@ame good question I wondered about PET scans too

Well there is a huge rumpus about Sen Lieberman's opposition to the medicare buy as it contradicts his previously held position, that's understandable, but he's right it is a generous piece of legislation. I'd be amazed to see him run as a Republican.

December 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  48. kim-chicago

Enough of Joe Lieberman...he drones on and on and on with his "independent" nonsense.

December 15, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  49. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Did anyone really believe that Obama was going to get tough on earmarks? I didn't. It was just another promise he made in order to get elected.

December 15, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  50. sharon

maybe the senate should go home for xmas break. they are wasting time & money.

December 15, 2009 at 10:21 pm |