December 15th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/15/09

Tonight on 360°, the new twists in the fight over health care reform. We'll look at why it seems Sen. Joe Lieberman seems to be the most powerful and hated man right now on Capitol Hill. Plus, the health dangers of CT scans and more.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Katherine

Two ct scans this November, I've already made the mistake twice!!

December 15, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  2. Kathy Chicago

Have their been any more details about the whole plan? Who has to pay? I've heard about limits to coverage and no savings in prescriptions. Is there any reduction of Dr fees, due to limited malpractice insurance premiums? I can't wait until the Dems tell me how this will save me money.

December 15, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  3. anna

This is outragous. This health care bill is give away to Insurance industry. They will force us to buy insurance but they will not give us public option.

December 15, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  4. Heather - Spokane, WA

I have never liked Joe Liberman. I respect that he is an Independant, but he plays it for advantage for himself rather than for the public and whenever he finds out that he is going to get attention or has a way to get attention he plays it out. He is in this for himself and the attention

December 15, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  5. Tammy

It's always something, Anderson.

December 15, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  6. laurie

I have always had a bad feeling about CT Scans (I have had 3-4). I wonder if there is anything one can do to offset some of the radiation? Detox plan or supplements?

December 15, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  7. Arthur

I am not denying or dismissing that this may be valid, but I have to ask: is this radiophobia running rampant?
    It is accepted that no changes are seen in blood, bone marrow etc under 10 rads (1 CT scan is about 1 rad).
    There is a concept of hormesis: that some radiation is actually good for you.
    As Sanjay said. A lot of this is speculation and based on things like Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But people are inclined to overlook that studies of nuclear shipyard workers have found these people (who have higher radiation exposures) actually were found to have lower incidences of cancers.

December 15, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  8. A. Smith, Oregon

Greetings Anderson Cooper and Erica, Staff at 360,

Not to worry Anderson on your previous CT Scan. All computer controlled Xray machines have audit controls which are set and monitored daily specifically to prevent Xray Techs from slightly upping the exposure of ionizing radiation for a better exposure.

The Audit Controls are monitored daily by the supervisors and Xray Techs that routinely run to high a exposure are warned then suspended, then fired. Its beyond rare that multiple patients or the same patient would ever be exposed to higher levels of ionizing radiation (Xrays) thru a single lapse by a Xray Tech. That could only happen with clear and evident medical malpractice.

December 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  9. Keith H

Since 2002 I had loads of CT scans – and still get one every three months to ensure my cancer has NOT returned. One has to weigh up the pros and cons. Without a regular CT scan for cancer patients, one cannot monitor metastasis or local reoccurrence. Catch-22. I shall continue to get CT scans because I don't want my cancer to return. If I am unfortunate to get a cancer from a CT scan, so be it. Just have to fight that one as well. Don't use obtuse scare tactics to deflect an essential diagnostic routine. But of course ensure that CT scans are absolutely essential for YOU.

December 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  10. Janet

I am a C.T. tech and our radiation physicist checks our machines at our hospital to make sure they fall into a standard. It's the ER docs that are harder to regulate and have a tendency to order a lot of scans.

December 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  11. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

There has got to be a public option. Who are we kidding here?

December 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  12. starr, formerly known as vincent

I, for one, am fed up with Mr. Lieberman. And, i wrote and told him that today.
    It appears, ever since he became and "independent" he has played both ends against the middle on any number of issues.

He is on tape supporting (if not claiming it was his idea) the "buy-in" for 55 and older to Medicare.

His remark about which party he would run under next election, he will run with the party that he thinks will re-elect him.
    Shame on Lieberman.

December 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  13. John

Let me get this straight – if I've never been sick and never had a CT Scan but have a CT Scan now that finds cancer then the test could save my life – but if I've had one in the past then that's the reason I have cancer?! Sounds like the new health care deal is saving money before it's passed.

December 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  14. Alesha

I just had 11, yes 11, CT scans in one year to administer nerve blocks to a badly damaged nerve I have in my pelvic region. I am really afraid now. My 12 year old son also just had 2 CT head scans in a 4 month period after head blows in sports. Is there anything I should be doing that can decrease the radiation that we have received? Is there a test that can check for radiation?

December 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  15. Heather - Spokane, WA

This kinda does worry me because I have heart disease on my mom's side of the family in women and I've had echocardiograms so I see more CT scans in my future....

December 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  16. tompan

Lieberman hopes he is not despised? I can't believe he has so little self-understanding. His flip flops don't show considered judgment!

December 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  17. Sharon Hastings

I think Joe Lieberman does what's best for Joe Lieberman. Go Olympia. Come on people. Get this done.

December 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  18. Johnny

I have kidney stones often and have had over 40 CT scans. every time I go to the ER they want to take one, if I dont let them they act like I'm just there for drugs.

December 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  19. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    Joe Lieberman does seem narcissistic in the way he's holding up progress on the health care bill.

December 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  20. Tammy

Hi, Anderson!
    I had a feeling CT scan machine gave off alot of radiation. It's a big machine. I've never had one and will think in the future if I will.

December 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't like the Obama health care plan, but I think Lieberman likes to be the center of attention.

December 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  22. A. Smith, Oregon

Good evening Anderson, Erica & Entire Team 360.

Good evening fellow bloggers!

Throw out Senator Joe Lieberman, the man is a disgrace and a total embarrassment to his fellow democratic senators.

I hope Lieberman is voted out of office by a true Democrat in 2012.

December 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  23. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. Anderson this is quite informative about the risks of CT scans. I imagine the CT scanners w/ lower levels of radiation are newer? It's mindblowing to think that one CT scan is like 440 xrays, but how many radiation unit, as Dr. Sanjay Gupta was talking about, is that? What CT scans give that dose of radiation.

December 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  24. charlie

In the UK a Cat scan is understood by everyday people to be a relatively risky, high cost and something of a last ditch option when other disgnostics failed. I don't think I know anyone who has ever had one outside of quite dire health situations. And UK citizens live longer.

December 15, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    Yes, I agree with you, too..... It freaked me so much, I had learned I have cancer too... Yes, YIKES!

December 15, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  26. Bill in St. Louis

So Mr. Lieberman supported Medicare expansion in the 2000 Presidential election. He can't support it now because the "deficit has doubled since then." Anybody else find it ironic that the deficit has doubled because of the WARS that he SUPPORTED? We'll spend money to kill people but not to keep people alive. I'm embarrassed that I voted for him in 2000.

December 15, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Unfortunately, I think there are a lot of things the medical and pharmaceutical companies are hiding from us.

December 15, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  28. cheri

I have a ct scan every 6 mon for my cancer I a woman age 52

December 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  29. Kathryn

What about those who have had CT scans before the age of 35? I had multiple ones done after being in a car accident at the age of 31 over a period of 10 days.

December 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  30. mark stubbs

I just got cleared from a potential terminal illness after 5 ct scans in 2 years...what now, killer zhu zhu pets?

December 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  31. arne

what about PET scans?????

December 15, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  32. Anthonia-Bay Area!

Good Evening Everyone!

That CT scans are scary! and I wanted to get a scan because lately I had been getting frequent headaches...! I guess over the counter pills would do the trick.

December 15, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    I am shocked that women have breast cancer as I have too, Once year women have to check up visit doctor,

Shanny and Sharon,
    I do agree with both of you.

December 15, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  34. starr, formerly known as vincent

I have been recommended to have brain CT...i think, after this report, i wall ask for a MRI-no radiation in that test.

December 15, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  35. Jennifer - AZ

Evening Anderson and crew,

A friend of mine has had cancer and it seems like she is always going in for another CT scan checkup. One more added to the list of carcinogens – screening for cancer gives you cancer.

December 15, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  36. andersoncnn

evening everyone.. thanks for joining us... the ct scan story kind of freaked me out. ive had like three done in the last eight years or so. yikes.

December 15, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  37. Sarah T

Personally as a 26 yr old woman, I have to get routine chest CT scans to make sure a tumor I recently had did not metastasize to my lungs. Whether I get cancer or not from the CT is of no issue, if I can't identify possible metastases by a CT beforehand.

December 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  38. tompan

I hope Sanjay provides an in-depth CNN special on this subject...everyone has had CT scans!

December 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  39. Sabrina in Los Angeles

I've had a pelvis CT Scan back in 2005 when they tried to figure out what was going wrong.

I wonder if my current health issues can be attributed to "cooking" my insides from the CT radiation.

December 15, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  40. Mark!

Wow, this CT scan story is crazy!! But it makes sense, it a freaking super magnet!!

December 15, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  41. starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson, Erica & Entire Team 360.

Good evening fellow bloggers!

I knew that CT scans gave off a fair amount of radiation, but i had no idea it was this much.

December 15, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  42. Devna AC360°

Thank you for joining us on the live chat tonight!

December 15, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  43. Heather - Spokane, WA

I've had a few CT scans in my lifetime and just had one six months ago. What does not cause cancer nowadays?

December 15, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  44. Dulcie - Denver

Yikes! I had a CT scan of my shoulder about 5 years ago. Of course, I didn't have much choice of the time, but still...

December 15, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  45. Shanny

Mind, there are so many other factors in all of our lives now that how do you pin point whether it was the CT scan that gave you cancer or second hand smoke or eating too much dyed, processed food ...

December 15, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  46. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Hello Everyone!

December 15, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  47. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and all bloggers. Great. I'm sitting here thinking about all the CT scans I've had.

December 15, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  48. Shanny

Hm, makes you think about all the children who have had CT scans and what that means for their futures

December 15, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  49. Shanny

Hi all

December 15, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening Anderson and everyone.

December 15, 2009 at 10:00 pm |