December 14th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/14/09

We've got breaking news from Capitol Hill on health care reform. There's word of a possible about-face from Senate Democrats on the idea of allowing Americans to buy into Medicare starting at the age of 55. We've got the raw politics. Plus, big banks under fire. President Obama urged banking executives to provide more loans to small businesses. We're keeping them honest. Should banks be doing enough to rebuild the economy?

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Kathy Chicago

I've been a Tiger fan since I saw him in his first pro tournament. He is good for the game of golf. I'm also glad his wife went after him with a golf club. I could understand one or two blips, but how many are we up to? He needs to grovel and publicly get counseling. I think at least the public will forgive him, not so sure about the wife.

December 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  2. Lori

I think that Tiger's transgressions are a symptom.

December 14, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  3. Moureen

Blip??? That is a man's statement if I ever heard one. I could accept one affair but the multiple affairs? NO. Tiger does brand himself as a character driven man – his organization Start Something, he started something alright.

December 14, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  4. Emily

are not most of Tiger Woods endorsements for men?

I don't follow golf, or Tiger Woods, yet it would seem to me that many of his endorsements are geared to men...and golf programs!

December 14, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  5. jesse

as a former teacher I find it disturbing people want to put the blame on teachers for teens negative actions... people saying "if only our education system educated our youth, then this wouldn't happen".... Lets go back to the basics America, put the blame/responsibilty on the parents of the teens. What are they teaching their child?

December 14, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Ramesh

For all the buzz about Tiger Woods why isn't a whole lot being said about the so called mistresses who knew all along that he is married and need to stay away from him. I am not supporting Tiger but saying media seems to be too biased and one way

December 14, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  7. starr, formerly known as vincent

I still think the Tiger Woods story isnot our business.

Anderson, thank you for putting this story more towards the bottom of the show.

There is obviously much more important news out there.

December 14, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  8. Scott from LA

Thanks to Tiger's behavior, we can now break down our sports idols and build them back up again. Admit it. We all like a juicy piece of gossip. So do businesses. It keeps their brand in front of the public, all free publicity. Businesses who stick with him will be just fine as we build him up and praise his forgiveness once he starts playing again.

December 14, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Like all the other celebrity adulterers, Woods will survive. There is no such thing as bad publicity, he will be back bigger than ever.

As for his wife, from what I understand there are plenty more where she came from.

December 14, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  10. Shanny

Tiger has not transgressed me in any way so I have nothing to judge or forgive him for.

Bring on the next super star !!!

And the next news story !!!

December 14, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  11. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It is all the "quiet" ones! It's like that!

December 14, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Emily

@Erica,

Unfortunately, there are not too many parent(s) and extended family members in many of their lives!

However, it is still no excuse for the behavior!

December 14, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  13. carla

ok so now we know about tiger.....he likes the woman ..maybe he should not have gotten married but he did...he probably loves his wife and kids.....tiger having sex has nothing to do with woman ..after all those woman said yes ans they knew he was married ...tiger should play golf

December 14, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  14. jamesLystiuk

i think they guy who punched the PM should be put in prison no free bees because he has mental problems he needs time in prison its the only way he will learn

December 14, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Jim Stinson

Why don't you talk about whether wiring money to hire prostitutes is illegal – like Elliott Spitzer? That is what news reports say Tiger did.

December 14, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Sharon Hastings

I don't have much to say about Tiger except no wonder he was big on privacy. He apparently had alot to hide.

December 14, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Carmella

Who's failing our kids? Good question. Our kids are failing themselves. They don't want access to good education, they would rather stay dumb as hell, and beat each other to deaf. You have to want something for yourself. Whatever happen to self accountability.

December 14, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Caroline, Los Angeles

I will give donations to whoever runs against Lieberman when his time is up.

December 14, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  19. Resa LaRu WARCHICK Kirkland

RE: Murder of Darius

How about holding the parents of those murderers accountable? God trusted them with those kids, NOT the state, NOT the schools, NOT babysitters, NOT churches–the PARENTS! THEY failed, and now those boys have failed. Hold the boys accountable AND the parents, for THEY were the ones God trusted with His children, and they failed those children and the God who trusted them. SHAME!!!

WARCHICK

December 14, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  20. Lori

I could forgive Tiger.

December 14, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  21. Casey Jones - Boston, MA

@David Gergen...A major component of this banking mess and something missed in the legislation is the catch 22 of the credit rating system. There is a huge amount of previously responsible borrowers that now have lousy credit. Our brilliant law makers missed this point and thanks to banks gouging otherwise well-paying, responsible customers with exhorbitant changes in terms, we now have a non- credit-worthy society.

December 14, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  22. colleen

they can't read and write because their parents don't make them go to school

December 14, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  23. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,

exactly!
    banks were loaning $ for decades! there was never a problem until someone said that everyone has the rights to own a home.

December 14, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  24. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Emily- Mr. Ray at least suffers from Narcistic disorder and likely additional personality disorderst too.

Definitely a total lack of concern for human life.

December 14, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  25. Adelaide

Some days, it is just too much to bear...on that note I bid you all good night!

December 14, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  26. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"I am should that he did not think about all that money would be flying out of the windows!" Bye, Bye!

December 14, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  27. Jennifer - AZ

He deliberately hit this kid and whether it was due to anger or caught in the moment, he should have learned to control himself or remove himself. He still has to be responsible. I agree with your guest; education is the base to being a constructive citizen and there are far too many people without one.

December 14, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  28. Floyd

If those kids' parents (and community leaders) had taught them from birth to respect authority, they would not be as troubled and problematic as they are today.

December 14, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Isabel Siaba (Brazil)
    Yes, Anderson does magic wall, I do touch my laptop magic wall, It is amazing touch. I agree!

December 14, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  30. Caroline, Los Angeles

@David Gergen. Tuned in late but I agree that Obama does not deserve a B+ in my grade book. I'll give him a C.

As for banks, all I know is that they make their own rules. Obama calling the CEOs and giving them a talking to today was just a show. Like the bank CEOs are going to listen to him or do his will? What has he got to put pressure on them? Legislation? No. Sanctions? No. Windfall profit taxes? No.

We spend billions on protecting Americans from the threats from the outside. Will Congress ever spend any time or money at all at protecting us from the threats from our fellow Americans?

The banks will not loosen up their lending practices until it is good for them and ONLY them, and that's the way it is and has been and will always be unless legislators decide to remake society a little.

December 14, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  31. ericacnn

We also cannot rule out parents and guardians in this equation. Teachers are not solely responsible for every student - home life plays a major role, as well.

December 14, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

When are people going to start listening to Principal Perry? He has the answers, but the communities don't seem to want to listen to him! He was right, that kid was inarticulate. I could barely understand him.

December 14, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  33. Emily

@Ivanka, Croatia,
    nice to see you on the blog tonight! 🙂

December 14, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  34. Lori from IL

Sorry, but I totally disagree with the picture Steve Perry is painting of Chicago - read the local papers, action has been taken, programs are being started, but the problem isn't going to be solved overnight.

December 14, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  35. carla

i don't know how teachers can get paid and kids cannot read or write and cannonot add or subtract....accountability is a must

December 14, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  36. Lucio

Regarding James Ray and the Sweatlodge incident – It would be great if you got a Native American perspective on what a Sweatlodge is and how they are run

One should never pay for a Sweatlodge – you only provide a "heart gift" to the Dance Chief or Medicine Man that conducts the Sweatlodge.

Thanks...Lucio

December 14, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  37. starr, formerly known as vincent

Anderson, always appreciate it when you have Mr. Perry on as a guest. He makes clear and excellent sense.

We need a couple thousand more like him!

December 14, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  38. Lisa A., Philadelphia, PA

Good evening all, late start. I think I have to slightly disagree with Steve, educated people kill. I think if it was this young man's brother that was killed, he would want someone held accountable.

December 14, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  39. Sharon Hastings

Steve Perry is right about the desensetization to violence in our culture. These kids seem numb to it and in these neighborhoods accept it as part of their life.

December 14, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  40. Nancy

The parents are failing these kids, not the schools, not the churches, not the community.

December 14, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  41. Shanny

And this is why we judge youths differently than we do adults in Canada anyway.

Yes, they know the difference between right and wrong when you talk through things with them after the fact but the parts of the brain that deal with reasoning are still developing and in emotional circumstances, reasoning tends to go out the window.

Hold them accountable most definitely but trying youths as adults is wrong in my opinion.

There is a lot going on here that is wrong, most of it preventative and only some of it the kids' responsibility.

December 14, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  42. Emily

@David Gergen,

I also think that it would be Very Wise for the banks not to give out Large Billion $ bonuses this year....it would look really bad.

As far as not loaning money, I'm surprised that the banks are not allowing loans out to the small businesses, etc. That went on for decades/generations before without a problem.
    Perhaps it's also the CEOs that are still in charge, they need to be replaced, and have new, intelligent people in there.

Things will stay in a rut for too long if it doesn't change.

December 14, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  43. Ruby (Fuk Ying) Wong

Hi Anderson,

I think that the health care reform should be free of choices and cheap. If the new health plan can't get us cheaper health care, someone is definitely corrupted.

Anyway, I like to tell you that I have never stop liking you and not forgotten you and heard that you will marry me. Well, I am pleased and excited. I hope that this time is real.

If you want me to remember the things you say, try to tell me during the day because God doesn't want me remember because HE is jealous. I wish that HE doesn't listen to China and Chinese Whores and all their spirits who kept saying that I will love you more than God.
    It is absolutely ridiculous and absurd.

Well, I have to stop now because I want to watch your program. Bye.

Love,

Ruby (Fuk Ying)

December 14, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  44. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Watch him mention his school!

December 14, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  45. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

"Where they at?"

They're on the street because no one turned them in dummy.

December 14, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  46. carla

clearly that youngman knows nothing but violence....that boy kept hitting that boy....it doesn't matter who brought the weapons....just say no and walk away

December 14, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  47. ericacnn

@keith – I do know many Americans are in the same position, including people very close to me. Their spouses – who have the insurance – cannot leave their jobs (which they are happy to have!) as they would never be insurable because of complications from cancer treatments.

December 14, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  48. Sherri, Somerset MA

I just can't get over all the violence. Especially in young kids. I can't believe a kid is beaten to death and people are just standing around watching. Put down the darn camera and call the police.

December 14, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  49. Lori

Teenage boys really need a lot of supervision. They are like babies trapped in men's bodies. They do not think about consequences and can be very impulsive.

December 14, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  50. Dulcie - Denver

Thanks David G. as always for your insight.

I think the only reason banks are paying back the bailout money is to avoid government regulation. It's not altruistic at all. Unfortunately, unless the government can get some real teeth, nothing's going to change.

Also, I don't blame our President for much of this. He's not all-powerful and if he can't get support, then he can't do it. With so many Republicans willing to do anything to oppose him, Pres. Obama's hands are tied. I don't see how he can be blamed for that.

December 14, 2009 at 10:38 pm |