December 10th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/10/09

Tonight, we take you inside a massive drug tunnel along the U.S.-Mexico border, used to shuttle drugs and illegal immigrants. Plus, war and peace. Pres. Obama accepts the Nobel Peace Prize just days after boosting the U.S. war power in Afghanistan. We've got the raw politics.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. David, Indiana

A very on point discussion of the inherent paradoxes, as David Gergen says, in President Obama's Nobel Address. I have yet to hear his complete remarks, though.

December 10, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  2. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Obama inherited two wars and is trying to limit the people going over to fight it but to get it resolved....that is why he got the peace prize....he has always stated that he doesn't want war but will defend if needed.

The world needs to step up and assist us in policing.

December 10, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  3. Amanda M

I can't believe the tunnel!!! And the war right next to our American border. Truly disturbing.

December 10, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Vanessa, El Paso, TX

Hi Everyone!
    So crazy to see how many of ppl are dying in Juarez. You hear about 'em here, but not in so much detail..seeing it on national news really opens one's eyes to how dangerous it is. I have not stepped foot in Juarez in 2 yrs..I have family which we are desperately trying to convince to leave.
    Great job on Mic Ware's part. Stay safe, Mic.

December 10, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  5. Stephanie

It is sad that so many Americans can't just take a day off from being so parysan and divided and pause to think of what President Obama means to the world. Every leader begins by being inspirational and the people who are doing the criticism will never achieve this honor.

In his speech he showed his soul, was very courageous to confront the earliness of the award and explained his views on war and peace. I was truly proud of him.

December 10, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  6. Casey Jones - Burlington, VT

I think it's so funny that people are so judgemental and have suddenly taken ownership like it's up to them who gets a Nobel Peace Prize. That narrow mentality just underscores why the Nobel Prize isn't "The People's Choice Awards." The negative rhetoric is all bias and political.

December 10, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  7. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Emily- you are Not alone on Afganistan, i agree with you.

December 10, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Chaney, Louisiana

President Obama aced this speech,IMO he said every thing he needed to and he was humble, sensitive, and sophisticated..... I watched his audience and he held them in the palm of his hands.. We may not be grateful for this quiet thoughtful President, but the rest of the world is......Well done Mr President.......

December 10, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Shanny

I think there is a link on CNN site for the transcript of his Nobel speech

December 10, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Emily

That ESPN Stalker story is so sick.... As a female, it turns my stomach each time I hear about it.

December 10, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  11. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I think that President Obama did a wonderful job in delivering his acceptance Nobel speech.

December 10, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Emily

@Patty A Banks,

I've not heard all of Pres. Obamas speech that he gave in Norway today, however, I'm not surprised to hear that it included "war". The vast majority of wars have started over "religion" or in search of 'peace' using religion as an excuse to fight.

I think that it's fitting.

December 10, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  13. gail

@ Mike
    We often do not get what we deserve in this life . Proof. Dick Cheney is not in hand cuffs for war crimes. However in this case , President Obama deserves this award not for what he has already accomplished , which he admits is slight but for what he will accomplish. I hope that this will be the galvanizing force that we need to get things done.

December 10, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  14. David, Indiana

@Isabel, that's a good pt, must be profitable if they keep digging all those tunnels.

@Emily drilling through solid rock, it must've gone on for months.

December 10, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  15. Sabrina in Los Angeles

We need to use echo/sonar location? to find the holes?

We bury rebar 200 ft down, they will just dig 205 ft down.

Businesses near the border need to be inspected regularly and maybe government controlled...no homes near the border.

I think the CIA has been working this for decades and now the seeds are sprouted.

December 10, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Our president Obama is correct about that, I agree with him.... I hope they will have more peace without war. He is good job his speech during Noble Peace Prize.

December 10, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  17. Emily

Pres. Obama did not campaign for the Nobel Peace Prize!

I think that he has handled it very well. It was not something that he was looking for.

Perhaps it's just me, however, I think that we should all be for getting Afghanistan correctly! That is where this all started from.

December 10, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  18. Mike Litoris

I think it would be best if we give our president some more time. We are rushing him and wanting more and more and giving him less time.

December 10, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  19. Lori

i thought it was a good speech this morning

December 10, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  20. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@ Patty Banks

Hello! It's always so good to have you here!

I agree with you that was an excellent speech, but it is a paradox to speak in war in a time like this, despite being fully consistent what was said!

December 10, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  21. gail

President Obama was the "American President" today and I am very proud of him.

December 10, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  22. starr, formerly known as vincent

From what i have heard of the speech by Pres. Obama, it seemed well balanced, and toughtful too.

He seemed to be humble and courageous too. He made sense.

I did not feel any "Bush" in the speech.

Great panel discussion!

December 10, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  23. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It is just more style without substance. Another example of Obama refusing to really take responsibility for a decision. When he was campaigning, he never told the American people that he needed to continue the war in order to achieve peace. He made them believe that he was just going to end the war.

December 10, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  24. Adelaide

I think the POTUS did great in his acceptance speech. He displayed
    grace, humility and strength overall! What more can I say....Love him!

December 10, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  25. Mike Litoris

I do believe the 30,000 men will be a positive factor. It is after all what the men want right now, and they do know best.

December 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  26. Emily

@Linda,

I hope that you are all safe there in NM!

Sure looks like it can be dangerous!
    I hope that the gov., etc use the technology aval. to them to locate these tunnels!

December 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  27. David, Indiana

@Isabel, it is incredibly sophisticated and well built and you are right it is upsetting to see so much ingenuity poured into a criminal enterprise.

Those are graphic and overwhelming scenes at the beginning of Michael Ware's report. He really gives me an idea of the horrible situation in Juarez. How close it is to the US.

December 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  28. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The speech doesn't change the fact that he doesn't deserve the award. 80% of Americans think he hasn't earned it.

December 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  29. Emily

From what I've heard this speech by Pres. Obama was very good! ...very impressive!

December 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  30. Bill

Wonder if the US has thought to put seismometers along the border to detect the vibrations of the tunneling?

December 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  31. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

I agree with President Obama that sometimes war is necessary to maintain the security (and the peace) of a people, but frankly I do not feel comfortable listening to it. It's hard to have to think so!

December 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  32. gail

The President gave a brilliant speech today as he accepted the Nobel. He said years ago when speaking against the Iraq" I am not against all wars, but what I am against are dumb wars." The irony of this is not only that we are at war, but that Alfred Nobel was the man that invented dynamite. There is a such a thing as a just war. The President never had to give this speech for me to know that he will defend America and the Republicans have always lied about his motives. Contrary to Candy Crowley though, he is not channeling GW Bush , but Barack Hussein Obama!

December 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  33. Emily

@Erica,

It looked like very danger reporting by Michael Ware too!
    Glad that he was able to bring us that story!

December 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  34. Jim

Violence accross the border is more tangible and impacful to Americans that a civil war in the middle east. Again no reason to use our resources where we have no business to be in. Use our resources for issues like this one make much more sense!

December 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  35. Linda

Hello,
    I am so glad there was a report on all the violence going on in Juarez. I live in Las Cruces, NM (30 minutes from El Paso) and it is truly scary! We hear about the killings everyday! I want more people to be aware of everything that is going on just over our borders!
    Thank you!

December 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama hadn't done anything when it was announced that he won the award and he still hasn't done anything to deserve it. You can't award something like this on mere expectations.

December 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  37. Yvonne M.

I live in El Paso and travel to Juarez, MX frequently to be with family. Just this year alone my 17 year old brother-in-law was kidnapped for a ransom. And my Aunt was threatened to deposit money into an account to avoid being murdered. This war is so close to home and nothing is being done because of the corruption within. I am glad this is finally being publicized.

December 10, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Mike Litoris

Hmm, Obama's speech reminds me of Johnson's speech when he was sending our finest to Vietnam

December 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  39. Emily

I can't believe that there are Americans that want drugs That badly!!
    Parts of Mexico are being shot up and they are literary dying to bring them to Americans!

December 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  40. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Isabel (Brazil)

Your father is a wise man.

I also read your post re: the money feeding these kinds of enterprises and i agree (as do several other bloggers too).

December 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  41. ericacnn

incredible, raw and, frankly, disturbing report from michael ware.

December 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  42. Simone (in Canada)

Michael's report nearly brought me to tears, how awful that people have to live (and die) in such a environment
    Micheal, your compassion is so apparent....thank you for continuing to open our eyes

December 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  43. Patty A Banks Palmdale,CA

I thought the President gave an excellent acceptance speech for his Nobel Peace Prize; but how ironic that it centered around war. It reminded me of my favorite movie scene from Dr Strangelove, "gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room!"

December 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  44. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Doesn't Michael Ware ever get to go someplace safe?

December 10, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Mike Litoris,
    Yes, I agree, that is so digusting to me!

December 10, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  46. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Your tunnel report is fascinating–it look like they need to pay close attention to the buildings near the border.

December 10, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  47. Shanny

The Nobel Peace Prize. Talk about loading expectation on the shoulders of one man.
    It feels like they gave it to him for what they expect him to accomplish rather than bestowing it on someone who has already done something worthy of the Prize.

December 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

If the people don't help, the problem will only get worse. This is just like the 'no snitch' situation in Chicago. It's hard to sympathize with people who do nothing to help themselves.

December 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  49. starr, formerly known as vincent

The numbers of killings in that city is staggering!

Horrific to see a 7 year old shot because of his father. And the women and young girls too...absolutely staggering.

No respect to no security = no solution.

Terrific reprot by Michael Ware!

December 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nice job Michael Ware!!!! I like Michael is reporting there in Mexico.

December 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm |