December 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/09/09

Tonight on 360°, five American arrested and accused of terrorist ties in Pakistan. We'll have the latest.
Plus, new details on the health care fight on Capitol Hill.  Do  Senate Democrats have enough votes to get their new plan passed? We've got the raw politics.

Want to know what else we're covering? <strong><a href="https://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/category/the-buzz/&#034; target="_blank">Read EVENING BUZZ</a></strong>

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&amp;*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. starr, formerly known as vincent

ihadi Cool? At risk gang bangers?

This is nuts! How do American Muslims fall into such radical ideas?

December 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  2. Aydarus Jama

I dont know or trust what media says. but one thing I know in islam killing your self or some one else is illegal and whoever does will be held accountable.but whom you said has killed himself in somalia I dont think he had connection with al qaida. even thought I am not sure but I think he was trying to kick Ethiopion troops out of Somalia.There are are some rivaliries between somalia and Ethiopia which is unknown in this country.

December 9, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Erica!!!!
    Nice see you again tonight!!

December 9, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  4. David, Indiana

@Emily, I agree, I don't know why people become suicide bombers. It's such a waste of their lives.

It's true the govt is more on top of possible terrorism, that's the flip side of viewing the FBI stings.

I do agree with Peter Bergen about how the American dream damping down possible terrorism, but I feel that the tensions due to conflict lead to many of these attacks.

December 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  5. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Zaheer, if mosques in general condemned the violence, and the 1 billion Muslims worldwide renounced the violence, you wouldn't have to worry about 'image'. Silence implies consent.

December 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    I agree with you...... I am so glad FBI already arrest Terrorism...... I would think terrorism will stay jail long time.

December 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  7. Shanny

Agreed Arzoo. We should be giving more 'air' time to Muslims in general rather than focusing only on those who are radical.

It promotes negative bias about Muslim people and what the faith stands for.

December 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  8. Jacqueline, NY

Hello!

December 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  9. Ralph

Thier needs to be more focus on peace in the middleast So this senseless acts can stop

December 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  10. starr, formerly known as vincent

Hi Erica! Always a pleasure to see you on the blog!

December 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  11. Emily

@Shanny,

It's very hard for me to understand!

I know that AC was going to talk about the Toronto 18 (I think it is), tonight, however, with this maybe not.

They seem to be everywhere!

December 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  12. Aparna Chandrashekaran

Poverty alone no longer seems to be a motivation for people to join terror groups. Perceived injustice or resentment appears to be what drives terrorists today. The David Headly story is a case in point. It appears that this guy was on the radar of the FBI for over two years in connection to drug smuggling cases and extensive overseas travel with no apparent source of income. Could the Mumbai attacks have been prevented through proactive sharing of intelligence between the FBI and Indian authorities?

Aparna,
    India

December 9, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  13. Mary

I think the reason we are having more home grown terrorists is obvious. They are being recruited and trained at the numerous schools and mosques which are allowed to exist here, unabashedly expousing their fiery rhetoric.

December 9, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  14. Lori

Don't understand the connection between Jihad and cool.

December 9, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  15. Muzzammil

Salaam everyone, as a Muslim seeing such news as these really hits deep. I question what drives a person to this point and who are the people that are brain washing them. Rather than worrying about these 5 individuals we need to find the ones that are brain washing them.

December 9, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  16. Fatma

The reason for this new trend is plain and simple: IGNORANCE about what Islam or being a Muslim IS !!!!!!!

December 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  17. Karen, MN

Hi Everyone

December 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  18. Zaheer

As a muslim i am concerned that the ominous intent & actions of very few muslim radicals affect the image of muslims in general.

December 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  19. carol courtines

It is not an unusual phenomenon for Americans to fight in foreign wars.
    During the Spanish Civil War, many Americans went to Spain to fight. And Americans volunteered in the British Army during WWII before America went to war. These young Muslims believe in their cause even if it is against the U.S. philosophy. I am not condoning their behavior but only explaining it from their viewpoint.

December 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  20. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Scott, pehaps, but In America I doubt that kind of behavior would be tolerated by local police, local government, etc. etc.

Excellent commentary by Peter Bergen.

December 9, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  21. Arzoo

The only thing I can add to my comment above is that the western society needs to understand that blaming peace loving moderate Muslims who live in West only pushes them farther towards terrorism. It's important to understand that radical Muslims consists of a minority and this whole concept of Jihad is related more to politics than religion.

December 9, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  22. Emily

@Arzoo,

I agree with you, "that its a good sign that the American Muslims notified authorities!"

I think that it would be really good if more Muslims spoke out and condemned terrorism!

December 9, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  23. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone!

December 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  24. Shanny

It seems crazy for a young person to turn on the society where he grows up with a certain amount of privilege (by virtue of living the USA or Canada), but they must feel isolated of alienated just enough to be willing to harm their neighbours.

It's curious.

December 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  25. Zaheer

It clearly shows how young male muslims are indoctrinated very easily. Thanks to their families in cooperating with officials.

December 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  26. Will

@Mike, I agree. You right it only takes a hand full of individuals to do any type of damage and that is the power behind terrorism in which you can inflict so much harm with just one individual and barely can be stopped without diving into privacy issues.

December 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  27. Scott

Their not speaking out Starr because they will get their heads cut off if they disagree w/ the extremists or they sympathize with them?

December 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  28. Emily

It's good that they were arrested!
    Very eerie, esp. after hearing about the TSA security breach!

December 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am thinking we can catch terrorism before what happens next. I really knew what they were doing to kill innocent people.

December 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  30. Arzoo

I think it is a good sign that American Muslims notified the authorities. I am a Muslim and I feel that its time that more American Muslims need to voice their opinion and condemn terrorism.

December 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  31. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. Seems like of the points noted in this country most of the arrests or suspects are sort of homegrown one way or another, the FBI sting cases are troubling, but maybe the stings themselves played a part in creating the circumstances of the suspects criminal actions. The case in Chicago, if David Headley is indeed prosecuted and found guilty is most worrisome.

December 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  32. ericacnn

hi, everyone

December 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  33. starr, formerly known as vincent

Why aren't moderate Muslims speaking out about not only this issue but so many of the other issues and incidents that have and are happening in our neigborhoods and our country?

December 9, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  34. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Will, it only took 11 hijackers to kill 3,000 Americans on 9/11. They don't need many, just a few extremist can do much harm.

December 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  35. Emily

I don't understand Why anyone would do this!

It's so foreign to me...people blowing themselves up. I don't think that I'll ever understand that.

December 9, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  36. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Peter Bergen, it's not 'every sort'. They are all Muslim-Americans.

December 9, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  37. Annie Kate

Hi everyone! This story on American terrorists is just downright scary. I wonder what their mission is – is it different from what other jihadists espouse:?

December 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  38. LaSonya

Have they picked up the man that at harvard for questioning

December 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  39. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    It's ironic the Americans were arrested in Pakistan–the religious extremists seem to parallel gang behavior.

December 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson.
    I agree!!!!!!

December 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  41. Lori

Hello Anderson, Erica, Everyone!

December 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  42. Shanny

I wonder how long it takes to brainwash someone into becoming a radical willing to give their life to a cause like this?

It seems to be young people, young men so far.

December 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  43. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Good reason to limit immigration from Muslim countries.

December 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  44. Will

Whaz up everyone!! Concerning Islamic extremism within america: I don't think we should be alarmed at this point but concerned. I think we really need to be alarmed when hundreds to thousands of individuals begin to leave for oversees; however, these individuals could just be the indication of terrorist training and recruitment cells operating within U.S. borders via the internet and organizations. Just my thoughts.

December 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    I am glad terrorism already arrest by FBI...... No terrorism are no longer in my home town!

December 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  46. Emily

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Megan, Martina, and Bloggers!

Very eerie news tonight!

December 9, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  47. Heather - Spokane, WA

Wow, this story is crazy......so are the men in it

December 9, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  48. starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson, Erica & entire Team 360.

Good evening fellow bloggers.

Anderson, you're right, this is scary (American radicalized !)

December 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm |