December 4th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/04/09

Tonight on 360°, an American convicted of murder in Italy. Friends and family of Amanda Knox speak out. Hear why they're outraged at the jury's decision. Plus, another mistake uncovered in the Maurice Clemmons case. He's the man who shot to death four cops in Washington State. And, Hillary Clinton talks about her role – Mother of the Bride.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Emily

btw,
    why is Anderson in Washington?

December 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  2. Marco

Hi, you did not post my former post, so I'll try again.
    My point is that Amanda lied at the start and accused an innocent man.
    That, more than anything, compromised her position and reinforced the jury's perception that she was trying to cover up.
    I am amazed that all commentators at CNN failed to mention this 'small' detail!!

December 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  3. Nancy in Oregon

At the very least, we should all take from this the reality that 'when in Rome' we must do as the Romans do. It sounds like Amanda was, at the very least, indulging in American freedoms while living in a non-American small foreign town. You cannot expect to import your own mores elsewhere and have them swallowed, hook line and sinker. I recall the 'caning' incident a few years ago....we travellers tend to make some 'ugly American' assumptions about ourselves when we globe-trot!

December 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  4. niwat, chicago

Hi Mr Cooper, EH and AC360.com
    Regardless of whether Amanda is guilty or not,the crime was committed on Italian land. I think the Italian prosecutors are taking preceding roles in convicting Amanda since if she's on bailing parole and fly home, It'll be more complicated for Italian judicial system to retrieve her back for farther justice trial.

Happy Weekend, everyone

December 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  5. Charles M. D. Jacksonville

When in Rome...do as Romans do. Hmmm this crime happened in
    another city, but do we know what has the Italian courts, the prosecutors there, done to wedge Amanda Knox into a corner apparently which now is concluding with her serving at least 26 years
    in an Italy prison for conviction of the murder of a student roommate.
    They have conducted the trial with this determined effort to make her
    an example of their criminal justice(?) system. Does this system believe in the stipulation of "beyond a reasonable doubt" as we do in the US. It seems as this young woman didn't have a chance throughout the investigation and trial of this case, with the exception of
    a possible witness from the Vatican or the Pope himself. Could she have been found guilty here of a similar case? Possibly as the panel
    guest just answered AC, but I don't think our system would have processed the trial in the gloatedness which this court and system has done in the world's view. ~ On another subject, Thank God, Tom
    Brokaw and his wife were not seriously injured or worse in the automobile accident just reported. Close call.

December 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  6. John Derby living in Bangkok

It is hard to promote a case of inocent when the defendant lied about one man and was caught in that lie and even about her whereabouts during the night in question. An innocent person would not be caught in these deceiving accounts.

December 4, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  7. chris

I definitely agree that our government needs to get involved somehow and get this girl home where she belongs. I am shocked to hear that jurors were fallling asleep and people were answering their cell phones during this court session.Truly unprofessional actions in a very unfair and unjust trial.

December 4, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  8. Lori

TGIF Anderson and everyone. Bad news about Amanda Knox. I hope she is exonerated.

December 4, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  9. wendy

Why have we not heard the the details of this case in the US, until tonight (on CNN)?

December 4, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  10. Andrew White

So, Amanda Knox is pretty and she's American. She must be inocent, right? Never mind that she lied to the Police from day one and has never revealed what actually happened to her friend, Meredith. No doubt, she's been protecting her Italian boyfriend but in this country that makes her just as guilty. Come on, America, not every baby-faced girl is an angel.

December 4, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  11. Felix

Amanda Knox is a murderer. The only problem with the verdict is that she only got 26 years.

December 4, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  12. David, Indiana

@Emily difference btwn inquisitorial court system and common law? Are Italian courts indeed inquisitorial what makes them so?

Where is she placed by the testimony of other witnesses and suspects at the time the crime was committed.

@Joan the question of intoxication is important?

Mixed DNA and blood spots? Amanda Knox's DNA?

Who was the lead prosecutor? Menini? Shld a prosecutor under indictment be practicing at all? How does that work in the US? Italy?

Why were the blood spots from the knife, a key piece of evidence, not double tested and how does that compare to how such evidence is treated in other cases in Italian courts.

Scary, well was the satanic theory advanced in court? sounds like it was not. Was there any evidence to support that?

December 4, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  13. Emily

@Erica Hill,

Would have been interesting in the CNN Newsroom today!

It's very interesting indeed!

December 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  14. Nancy in Oregon

Hi, Erica. Wow, none of us really knows, do we? We weren't there, we don't really know Knox....but it's not an automatic assumption to me that she's just a total innocent either. I wonder what really happened to that poor young woman.

December 4, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Cessy, Chicago IL

Good to see you Erica!

Wow! you guys can cover this Amanda Knox story for two- three hours! very interesting and sad at the same time.

December 4, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  16. harold

The jury was not sequestered I don't think they do that over there my heart goes out to her an her family

December 4, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  17. Caroline, Los Angeles

Convicting a woman on the basis of a log in name of Foxy Knoxy is like saying a woman was raped because she was wearing a mini skirt and a low cut top.

December 4, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  18. Emily

I hope that The Knox Family learns the Italy Legal System!

December 4, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  19. Steven

Hi Erica! What do you feel will happen next?

December 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  20. steve- virginia beach, va

@JULIA OZYESILPINAR, an Italian forensics expert testified that the wounds on the victim couldn't have been caused by that particular knife. The knife also didn't match a knife imprint on the bed.

December 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  21. Emily

4 times her story changed?
    (language problems?!)

how many times did the prosecution change its theory?

December 4, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  22. Jana, Georgia, formerly from Indiana

She did a cartwheel? I hadn't heard that. What is up with that?

December 4, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  23. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Sounds to me like she was stoned and scared out of her mind .

December 4, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  24. ericacnn

Hi, everyone. A lot of discussion in the newsroom today before and after the verdict came down.

December 4, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  25. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Amanda Knox is always smiling and so calm. In such a situation, it causes me astonishment!

December 4, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  26. Christie New York

Hello Anderson!

I don't think that she should've been convicted because there was not enough physical evidence. I think she was at the murder scene, only because how else could've her DNA get on the "supposed murder weapon".

December 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  27. Steven

Michael
    My understanding is that her "lie" may have been coerced by the interrogations she had with the Italian Police, including one of 14 hours.

December 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  28. Teresa

@Maureen. Why would Clinton or Obama get her out? Isn't Italy a sovereign country? Would you want presidents from other countries ask the US to release foreign citizen imprisoned here? Why did she change her story several times if she was innocent? Italy is not North Korea, she had a fair trial.

December 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  29. Dallas Wiebelhaus

There has to be some Global American Governmental body that can examine this case and then if deemed appropriate extract the girl by any means necessary.

December 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  30. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

If the defense has been ignored it is wrong.

December 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  31. patti from PA

My son will be leaving soon for the spring semester in Rome through the exchange program at his college in PA. Since receiving word of the Amanda Knox verdict, I'm concerned about his trip to Italy. He is a very good student and very responsible but enjoys life and partying. He is looking forward to his trip to Rome but seemed concerned after hearing the verdict tonight. I feel bad for the young lady that lost her life and her family but I thought they arrested the person who killed this young lady. I'm shocked and concerned about the outcome of this trial. The next 4 months will be very long ones!

December 4, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Jana, Georgia, formerly from Indiana

She did a cartwheel? I hadn't heard that.

December 4, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  33. Ben

Amanda's situation was biased from the beginning in favor of her guilt because her behavior did not look proper to the folks in Perugia. The police intimidated her into providing conflicting stories - which was very ease with Amanda since she was a so young. This is a horrendous miscarriage of justice. I have been following this for the last two years . . .

December 4, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  34. sandy

it was a very horific crime and as far as im concerned all 3 got just what they deserved they were all there....

December 4, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  35. Julie Antinucci

The more I watch the coverage on this case, the more I'm asking, "how could the U.S. government let it get to this point. Someone needs to step up and protect this American citizen from being treated this way." We have relationships with the Italian government, so get involved!!!!

December 4, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  36. Priscilla

AC

Please elaborate on the reason for the black man getting 30 years while Amanda's boyfriend who assisted in holding down the deceased got 25 years and Amanda getting 26 years.

Why did the black man get more years than both Amands and her boyfriend if she was convicted of the actual killing. Where is the justice in what happened to the black man?

And, if the black man actually killed the young lady, why convict Amanda for murder?

December 4, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  37. melissa

@raphael-i believe the roomate was having some sort of affair with patrick

December 4, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  38. Nancy in Oregon

I would not give Knox a pass because she's just a pretty American girl ....unfortunately, I've learned to distrust those impressions! Defense attorneys coach people how to appear in court, dress them, etc., as though in costume. That means nothing. It's theater. Why did she say she heard the screams?

December 4, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  39. oscar

family should appeal right away for better investigation,and proof that she is innocent.

December 4, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  40. Valery Lyman

I really can't tell if she is innocent or guilty .... I do think it's odd that they held up her DNA being on a knife that wasn't even proven to be the murder weapon as evidence .... her DNA would be on a lot of things – she lived there.

Why would the press be so hungry to convict her in Italy? I lived there, and encountered some, but not extreme amounts, of anti American sentiment.

December 4, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  41. Loredana

HY, I'm Italian and I was in Italy when the homicide happens and the trial started. This case is unclear in many ways not only the side of the accuse, I wondering why Amanda has to accuse an innocent and sand him to jail, if she has nothing to do with that.
    I think that you people are to strong in judging Italy and the Italian we are not perfect but believe me she has good chanses in Italy than in america your sistem is a lot far away than perfect you can kill innocents

December 4, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  42. Donna

Perhaps drug use by both parties contributed to their inconsistent accounts of what happened that night.

December 4, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  43. Emily

@John,

You should respect the laws of any other country that you go and visit!

December 4, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  44. Mike C New Port Richey Fl.

The civil liberties that most Americans take for granted are so often overshadowed by the reality of foreign judicial policies. Here is a classic example of how a change of venue could of given a young lady a fair trial, and possibly a chance, at very least… Let us only pray that Ms. Amanda Knox get at very least a chance of a fair trial during her appeal..

December 4, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  45. Steven

I guess I have to believe that justice will prevail for Amanda, and hopefully our government will intervene. In the day and age where everyone has a cell phone / camera / way to video tape and we are all scritenized for our body langauge via pictures documentation, even text messaging responses! I feel Amanda has been convicted by this very technology as rush to judgement has clearly occured here, led by the Italian prosecuter trying to save his reputation and position.
    None of us were there, but it seems in order to have any type of a conviction for any crime, evidence must be present. My guess is a deal will be made by our government with the Italians. The question is how long?

December 4, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  46. maria Chiara

I am italian, and I just want to remind everyone that Amanda was treated in the exact same way as her former boyfriend who is ITALIAN. The matter here is NOT being american, or italian or wahtever... the matter is how they acted in the days immediately after the murder. I was in Italy and I saw them happily hanging out togheter, and simply showing no interest or sorrow for what happened to Meredith. This was a HUGE mistake. I am aware that here the judges are making a mistake, because of the lack of evidence, but DO NOT condemn ITALy for this, because our justice system is not so bad. Actually, I think it is better than american one, for many reasons. I am strongly persuaded that the both will be pleaded innocent in the appeal.

December 4, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  47. Libby

I truely beleive that Amanda is innocent of this crime, since there is no evidence that Amanda was even in the room where the murder happened. How can there be no trace evidence of Amanda in such a violent crime?

My prayers to Amanda and her family.

December 4, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  48. stefania cooks (italian)

She changed 4 times her story!
    Why?

December 4, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  49. Caroline, Los Angeles

Good evening everyone. Sad cases tonight.

December 4, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  50. Peggy

The story you are reporting is totally one-sided. My daughter was in Perugia at the time of the murder...and the stories that are being told here and the people that were involved there are like 2 differnt tales..There is a different picture that you can not see. The family and friends of the dead British girl tell a rather different story of the kind of girl Amanda Knox was. You are not reporting the English side...The dead girls side.

December 4, 2009 at 10:21 pm |