December 4th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/04/09

Tonight on 360°, an American convicted of murder in Italy. Friends and family of Amanda Knox speak out. Hear why they're outraged at the jury's decision. Plus, another mistake uncovered in the Maurice Clemmons case. He's the man who shot to death four cops in Washington State. And, Hillary Clinton talks about her role – Mother of the Bride.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sandra

This is a sad case. I feel for her and her family. I think I read somewhere that the head prosecutor is due to be taken to court himself for 3 charges but was allowed to prosecute Amanda!!

December 4, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  2. Cessy, Chicago IL

if the prosecutor did this at the expense of a young woman, this is really sad. and shame on them!

December 4, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  3. Jodi

Very sad. No winners here. 1 dead girl and 1 in jail.

December 4, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  4. Michael, New York, NY

Am I the only one who thinks she is actually guilty? Do innocent people really lie to police and change their story?

December 4, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  5. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@ David, Indiana

I think the whole case very confusing, but one girl was killed and many lives destroyed. It's sad... very sad!

December 4, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  6. Emily

@Isabel Siaba (Brazil),

I agree, and they had so much promise!
    Really sad to see this happening.

December 4, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  7. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Wow! I'm amazed at how different the legal systems can be from country to country.Glad to live in the USA.I could never see a jury getting away with falling asleep during a trail here.

December 4, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  8. michael armstrong sr. TX.

We have actually seen nothing about any of the evedence were just blogers standing up for a fellow American this girl may be guilty as sin .

December 4, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  9. Annie Kate

Is the Italian legal system based on innocent until proven guilty like the American system or is it guilty until proven innocent – which is what it looks like in this case. I'd like to see how the prosecution built their case – maybe someone will come up with the court transcripts and translate the key parts of them.

December 4, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  10. maura rohan

Why can't our top lawyers get involved-because it's overseas? She needs help,desparately.

December 4, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  11. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Rita,

"However, some of Amanda's actions have been odd. She is presented by her family to be naive and sweet, however she accused an innocent man of going into Meredith's room that night; Patrick Lumumba, who was jailed and later completely vindicated. "

That is part of the problem I have with this case and notice how demurely she is dressed in court, school girl type braid and all? The photos I saw of her were very different indeed!

December 4, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  12. Cessy, Chicago IL

at what point did Amanda change her story? and do we know why?
    ( sorry , i havent been closely following this story).

December 4, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  13. Mike Chaparro

AC,

The civil liberties that most Americans take for granted are so often overshadowed by the reality of foreign judicial policies. Here is a classic example of how a change of venue could of given a young lady a fair trial, and possibly a chance, at very least… Let us only pray that Ms. Amanda Knox get at very least a chance of a fair trial during her appeal..

December 4, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  14. Joan

The evidence is circumstantial. Her stories and alibis don't add up. Plus, the evidence shows that she did a lot of cover up. She washed a lot of the blood away with bleach. Why would she do that?

December 4, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  15. Raphael

Why did she lie about Patrick Lumumba. Do her relatives know why she was trying to get an innocent man sent to jail.

December 4, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  16. Lilarose in Bandon, OR

Just because this Knox woman is American, there is no reason that she could have killed her roomate.

I think she is guilty. Period.

December 4, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  17. Andre

It is ridiculous that a so called advanced country doesn't have enough integrity to keep this case clean and impartial minds to such a complicated case as it is. "Two wrongs do not make it right" and unfortunately it's not the case of the town of Perugia and others like the media in England.
    More evidence is necessary for a fair trial.

December 4, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  18. Leo Gonzalez

Amanda Know was portrayed badly in Italian and English media, yet here in the US we are portraying her as a victim. Which I firmly believe that she is innocent (based on her American media portrayal). Also, can AC360 get some analyst that see her as guilty. I'd like to get both sides of the ordeal.

December 4, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  19. Nancy in Oregon

I do know we can't take the parents' word for it....they might well not know their daughter like they think they do. It happens far too often. I feel so sad for the victim and her family-no one seems to be concerned about her, just her pretty American accused killer. I'd feel better if those upset about Knox seemed to feel honestly equally upset about Kercher.

December 4, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  20. Lee McCaskill

Just cancelled my trip to Italy. I think we should ALL boycott Italy in protest. WHat else can we do as a nation to protest to help this this poor girl?

December 4, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  21. melissa

@adrienne–yes same prosecutor too!!

December 4, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  22. Leon

I think we should try to understand the Italian judicial system and stop trying to compare it to American standards not judging her innocent or guilt. Let's just wait and see what happens on the appeal process and we should be thankful that she has that right.....could be worst..as Lisa Bloom stated on Larry King conviction here in the US may have given her the death penalty.

December 4, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  23. Steve of Pacifica CA

Anderson, would love to hear if anyone knows: How powerful is the Prison Worker's Union in Italy? Could they be pushing these supposedly high conviction rate to ensure jobs for their members?

December 4, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  24. Adam

Has anyone in the Knox family attempted to contact Bill Clinton about traveling on another humanitarian mission?

Someone said at the top of LKL that in Italy, the justice system is all about who you know and your connections.

He did it once...

December 4, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  25. Barbra Munisteri

I feel so sad with regard to the verdict in the Amanda Knox trial in Perugia..Two innocent young people will spend hals of their young lives in prison because of the Italian system of injustice. I hope the United States government will get involved to bring Amanda Knox home so she can have the freedom she deserves. I have a son that lives in Italy and I want him to come home. This could happen to any young person studying in Italy....I would even be willing to give up drinking Italian wine if I thought it would have an economic impact on Italy..

December 4, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  26. chris

From what I read and heard. There is not enough information to convict this young girl. There is a lot of media attention around this case, I feel italy maybe doing this against her because she is American.

December 4, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  27. Priscilla

I wish the "Friends of Amanda" had been more proactive early on in explaining her so-called erratic behavior (doing a cart wheel, buying lingerie, etc., etc.). It would have made her seem much more sympathetic.

December 4, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  28. Joe Martinez

good evening Anderson! my question is can or will the united states get involved with the Amanda Knox case?

December 4, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  29. Jordany

How can this happen is there a ground for appeal. How can they convict without proof??

December 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  30. John

Italy is a different country and not everybody in Perugia is stupid. If you go to Italy you have to respect their laws. Amanda certainly had very odd behaviors , the typical "who cares" attitude. The media coverage in the US has been a little biased. Were Amanda not this gorgeous looking, nobody would care, that is the saddest truth.

December 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  31. chris

I feel this is an outrage and a terrible injustice has been done. I mean, seriously?? I feel she is innocent from what I have seen.

December 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  32. Steve (Virginia)

The exclusion of key defense evidence really crippled Amanda's chances under a system that tends to presume guilt before innocence...

December 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  33. lou

Concerning Knox....Not rational or fair to have loved ones stir up nationalism. Stop with all the poor relatives and family. They always think their loved ones are innocent!!! i.e. OJ Why cant she be guilty?? Because shes an American in Italy?? Because shes cute?? Young?? White?? Hmmmm.... sounds like tryin to drum up a conspiracy theory... why

December 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  34. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Did Madison ever notice the the bad acts of Amanda's friends.

December 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  35. Don, WA

Lots'a talk about "looks" in Amanda case – in truth yuh hate to think a young pretty female face would do it – so it's about evidence – there does'nt seem to be enough to convict – benefit of doubt I give to her.

December 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  36. Georgia Kruusi

Good Evening all. I think guilty is correct...Watching her so calm, smiling??? I think a truly innocent person would be pretty meek and nervous..I don't know. Sociopath comes to mind for me.

December 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  37. Pam

I think she is innocent.. It is scary to think about traveling abroad these days, especially after the Natalee Holloway case in Aruba and now this! I will pray for her and her family. Evidence people...

December 4, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  38. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

I do not like to accuse anyone, but I think the prosecution must have a basis for its conclusions.

December 4, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  39. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,

One guy admitted to it, and another one (different one I believe), her BF has been found guilty.

Their judicial system does Not an adversarial one.
    (difficult to find out anything but what the prosecution puts forth, at least during the trial)

December 4, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  40. wendy

Did she do it? Is she Anne Bolyne

December 4, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  41. Steve, Moyock NC

I don't think the prosecution changed their story 5 times throughout the trial as Janet Huff said.

December 4, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  42. Carrie-Anne

I wonder what all this will do to Amanda's nature...I used to be a "granola girl" as she's been described: trusting, gentle, afraid of conflict and sickened by strife. Being in a hostile environment for a years, however, has changed me. I am none of those things now as a result of just trying to survive.

I hope Amanda can somehow survive this jail sentence for the next (at least) two years....I wasn't in jail, but may as well have been, and it changed me.

December 4, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  43. Kim

I was in Peruggia in 2003, right after the Iraq war, and we ended up witnessing a large protest against the United States. We encounter a large amount of Anti-American energy. This verdict did not suprise me. It's insanely sad, but not unexpected based on my experience there.

December 4, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  44. Jane

How could Italy be so 3rd world with their court system? Haven't they, can they, won't they learn from the justice system here in the US sense we are allies? We've helped change things in other countries. Can we help there or won't they let us?

December 4, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

IMO, Knox is involved in this murder one way or another.

December 4, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  46. JULIA OZYESILPINAR

Have you considered the fact she may guilty and Italians are competent , no body is talking about the knife found hidden at her boyfriends house which was from Amandas kitchen with her and the murdered friends dna, why her kitchen knife was hidden at her boyfriends washed with clorox???

December 4, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  47. Joshua Jones-Rockville Maryland

also i can look in her eyes an see that she is not a Killer

December 4, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  48. sonya langford

My son is a friend of Amanda's from college and everyone that knows her from school knows she is incapable of this. It is devastating. I think it looks like a media frenzy.

December 4, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  49. Patricia

My heart goes out to Amanda's family and friends, I believe she's innocent.

December 4, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  50. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@Emily
    I think that the lives of all of them were wasted.

December 4, 2009 at 10:13 pm |