November 30th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/30/09

Tonight, we have breaking news on the hunt in Washington state for the gunman accused of killing four police officers. Plus, new details on the White House party crashers. The Washington Post is reporting on e-mails that the couple says clears them of wrongdoing. We have the White House reaction.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. randy

tiger you are a icon , respected by many, please tell the truth. many folks feel you are hiding things

November 30, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  2. Emily

he's part of a politic family too, is he not?
    that name sounds familiar! (sorry not into this dating thing!)

November 30, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  3. lisal .canada

congrats to the young ms. clinton - i think she's handled herself well

November 30, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  4. Georgia Kruusi

Women veterans have been shuffled to the back for many, many years. I am an AF vet..out since 1981, was told women weren't covered where I live. Just 2 months ago got my VA medical benifits. Have talked to women that were in the military long before me that still didn't have benefits.....

November 30, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  5. Emily

Very interesting story on women in the military.... I really heard that "women are not allowed to see combat"?

It sure takes along time for things to change....stereo types, etc.

These women you had here in that piece were a fine example of women in the military!

November 30, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  6. Lynne

Golf revenues went down between 40 and 60 % when Tiger Woods was out with knee surgery. The sponsors and hosts have as much to lose than Tiger Woods does. The media has blurred the lines between what they have a right to know.

Re the partycrashers: the pair were the ones who broke the law and yet everyone is blaming everyone else!!

November 30, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  7. Jennifer- CA

Great insight from our female soldiers. Even as a woman, I am sad to admit that the image of a man is still the stereotypical soldier in my mind. I'll be more conscious to remember the women who are just as heroic as any man. I am so appreciative of our military they are so brave, thank you!

November 30, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  8. Maurissa

We have all done something stupid at some point in our lives. Thank goodness mine wasn't all over CNN. Tiger's shouldn't be either.

November 30, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  9. Sonya

@Susan, well said. I concur

November 30, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  10. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Marvelous is Chelsea Clinton's marriage engagement!"

November 30, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  11. Lyle

If they need answers about even just a car accident and you are hindering the polices investigation isn't that obstruction?

November 30, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  12. "starr, formerly known as vincent

Anderson, what a terrific story on women in the military.

The women on the panel are impressive! And, definitely shed new light on some of the problems that women deal with in the military and at home too.

Thank you for showing this story.

November 30, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  13. gretchen

I have a huge amount of military people in my family,brothers ,cousins etc., both male and female and I am proud of them all.That's why we should give more thought to the military and why we send our troops into battle. They fight the good fight and we need to support our troops.

November 30, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  14. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

There are jobs women can fill in the war zone, but they should not be put in a position where upper body strength is paramount. Someone's life could depend on it.

November 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Kathy Chicago

I talked to my daughter about enlisting, but she would be more like Private Benjamin (Goldie Hawn) than GI Jane. We agreed it would be a bad idea!

November 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Susan, NJ

Children emotionally, socially and even neurologically need their mothers, so to have them away for months at a time is a unique and specific type of neglect. There is no good substitute for a mother.

November 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  17. willie

Tiger should have initially spoke to law enforcement. He is not immune to life!!! If his wife caused all this mess he should own up to her actions... Looks like his wife is a drama filled hoodrat!!!!

November 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  18. Geoffrey

I am struck by the gall of the White House crashers....they consciously and purposely and narcissistically sneak around security and rather than receiving consequences they are rewarded with network bids for their story. Is this the American way? Like AIG receiving rewards for squandering resources and stubborn car manufacturers crashing and receiving a bail out? Can I do this in my personal life – act out and get rewarded? They should be held accountable, not celebrated.

November 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  19. Lori

It would be hard to be a mother and a soldier for sure.

November 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  20. Lyle

why isn't Tiger being charged with obstruction of justice?

November 30, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Kathy Chicago

November 30, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Antonio-elizabeth,NJ

Keep that honest Mr. Anderson Cooper.

November 30, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  23. Jennifer- CA

@ Debbie: "We need reform.. Kill a cop... you get the death penalty." I agree that people shouldn't be allowed to get around the law and do as they please, but such an absolute rule has the potential to make cops above the law... people are depraved sorry to say. I do believe you kill any man and you should get the death penalty...

November 30, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  24. Kristine

What I find to be odd about the Tiger incident is why during the 911 phone call you do not hear his wife in the background. If she was so worried about him and used a golf club to get him out of the car – then why no background noise? If it were my husband I think I would be yelling for help – asking how long until ambulance got here – and I would want to be the one on the phone. No sobs, no calls for help, nothing in the background – except for an older sounding woman asking what happened. Hmmm????

November 30, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  25. Angie

AC – in regards to your guests comment on Tiger Woods "not committing a crime" and that he just hit a tree. Well what about the fire hydrant? That's public property! If 911 was called in the course of an accident, then the authorities have a right to investigate.

November 30, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  26. Michelle

The White House crashers seem to enjoy having
    their picture taken with powerful people or celebs.
    There is no way they were invited. They skipped
    before having dinner. It makes no since.

November 30, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Fred Harris, Jr

Thanks for taking my comments. The DC party crashers should be punished if they were not invited. This was a screw-up of unpresidented proportion. Federal officials are notorious at addressing problem after the fact...but suppose this had been someone with devious thoughts in mind. This beech of protocol should be investigated thoroughly.

November 30, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Antonio-elizabeth,NJ

millions of nonviolent American "criminals" are released from prisons with skills unmatched in this country, yet those same Americans when on a job hunt are discouraged by employers who do not care about the integrity of the job seeker, they only care about past criminal history. Sad, but true.

November 30, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Emily

Military policy prevents women from seeing combat?

Did I just hear that?

November 30, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Tammy

If in fact the supposed Tiger affair is true, this is a case of spousal rage, and I can't say that I blame her. He is in hiding until the evidence fades so as to protect his wife.

November 30, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  31. Bob in Kentucky

It really looks bad Tiger not cooperating with the police. He's also not setting a good example for all the young people that look up to him.

November 30, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  32. Deanna Scott

Our country should be ashamed that we let such a dangerous criminal out on the streets, not just once, but twice after commiting such brutal crimes in the past. When are we ever going to feel safe and protected. Also, what is sad, is that the news is spending more time trying to figure out why Tiger Woods crashed his Cadillac into a tree, seriously. This might explain why these horrific crimes happen in America. My deepest sympathy to all of the families of the four officers.

November 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  33. Michelle

I think people do need to leave Tiger Woods alone..Enough.. He didn't do anything wrong but had an accident. I'm a Woods fan and I don't believe he cheated but what if he took sleeping pills or pain killers and was half asleep and go into his car unknowingly and had an accident. But if he did cheat on his wife I'll be pissed and then say he deserved a beat down. Glee anyone? I bust the windows of your car? And I'd say well his wife better get out his black AMX and go on a serious shopping spree.. Hopefully this is not the case though..

November 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  34. Jan

Concerning Tiger- "Mucch to do about nothing". We have much more serious things to concern ourselves with.

November 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  35. Erik Tonge

I agree with alot of the previous comments! Go Tiger, please don't run into any more trees.
    Hopefully the media will change directions with people and their personal matters. Its got way out of hand!

November 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  36. Emily

@Gloria, Brooklyn, NY,

"They want to be with the "Who, Who!""

Those kind of people I find are so Sad!
    Name droppers, and as Anderson called them, "Cling ons"! 🙂

November 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  37. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Woods needs to set the record straight to stop the negativity/bad press.

If he was tired and ran into the tree/hydrant....state it....tired driving is wrong but happens.

If he was drinking and ran into the tree/hydrant...state it...and don't do it again.

If he was caught doing wrong and the wife caught him and broke the window...he should just note it and get it out there....

Not stating the reason/truth leaves him open to worse press than the standing up and noting the truth.

November 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  38. Kathy Chicago

Mike and Mike in the Morning on ESPN talked this morning about how hard it was to get into the White House even when you are invited. I think that they should be prosecuted.

November 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  39. Carol Garza

To me the story that Tiger Woods's wife broke the back window of the SUV with a golf club to help get him out doesn't make any sense. I think she followed him out of the house, hit the window in anger and frustration, which caused him to lose control of the car and hit the hydrant ad tree.

November 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  40. Lilarose in Bandon, OR

How could Tiger's tiny model-sized wife remove him from the SUV while he weighs probably three times what she does and he was unconscious? Doesn't add up to me.

I just hope someone is concerned about their two little kids if there IS alleged violence in the Woods home.

November 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  41. susan, colorado

After Elin smashed out the first rear passenger window to presumably open the door to free tiger, why would she waste time running around to the other side to smash out that window, too?? And if she was so worried about his condition, why didn't she call for medical help before knocking out TWO windows? This is highly suspicious and the police are obligated to investigate possible domestic violence.

November 30, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  42. Georgia Kruusi

Ohh..Steve...I agree...now we have the White house crashers that are getting what they wanted...and we all eat it all up and blog about them all

November 30, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  43. Jane - Vt

These two need to be charged with not telling the truth. Didn't Martha Stewart go to jail because she lied to federal authorities? Bravo can do a reality show on them in jail.

November 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  44. Marilyn in Okla

What about the destruction of city property ( fire hydrant) ? Joe Smith would be ticketed and pay damages for this public property, is he above the law here too?

November 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  45. Richard

Huckabee looked into the cop-killer's eyes and knew right away that in his soul, he was a good guy. Just like Bush and Putin!

November 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  46. Emily

Here is another example of 2 organizations that are NOT sharing information! The Secret Service, and Home Land Security!

November 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  47. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I'm amazed that access to the White House is controlled by a single point of failure check. There should have been multiple levels of security. To get into my work I have to show my ID twice at 2 different checkpoints.

November 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  48. Lisa

Hi Anderson – I am so happy you are back.
    I say enough of the Tiger story and the "party crashers". None of our business where Tiger was going etc. Leave him alone.
    Reality star wannabees – enough of them they are pathetic attention seekers like the ballon man. I hope they aren't awarded with payment for thier precious interviews. Gross.

November 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  49. michael armstrong sr. TX.

This goes beyound party crashers even with weapons searches they could still carry in biological germs on the human body and just sneez and cause alot of harm.

November 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  50. Jennifer- CA

I love when Anderson gets fiesty with his guests and puts them on the spot lol

November 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |