November 20th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/20/09

Oprah makes it official. She's giving up her talk show. Lisa Ling, Suze Orman and Larry King join us to talk about the big announcement. Plus, a plea deal in the Walmart line cutting case. And, we continue our special investigation "Killings at the Canal: The Army Tapes."

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

These rules are obscene. If this is what our troops are doing, pull them out.

November 20, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  2. Anna

It's sad and shocking that Oprah will be leaving her show. She is indeed a true and great star. I wish her all the best. I will miss her.

Anna

November 20, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  3. M Trudeau Ontario Canada

I now sympathize even more for the soldiers suffering from PTSD. No wonder!

November 20, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  4. Charlotte

I have watched Oprah since the beginning. She has 18 months left and she might change her mind. She has her own network so if you have cable you can still see her. I am proud of this strong, black woman who has certainly made her name one that won't ever be forgotten. I mostly appreciate her honesty about her personal life and I appreciate the intregrity of her show. First class all the way.
    God Bless you Oprah and thank you for 25 wonderful years.

November 20, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  5. Karen Gonyea, MN

@ Gady too Funny 😀

November 20, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  6. Andrew Brtt

Oprah will always be the missing voice of day time television that exposed the world to the plights of all communities Rich or Poor. You will be missed

November 20, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  7. jeanne austin mn.

Oprah always knew what America needed to hear.!!

November 20, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  8. Devna AC360°

Thank you for joining us!

November 20, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  9. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

They are fighting by the book, and the enemies are taking advantage of their fight book.

November 20, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  10. Steve - southern Illinois

God bless that woman who kept an eye on that little boy who was separated from his Dad.

November 20, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  11. Henya CA,

Hello,
    Oprah defiantly a great woman any she touches tern to gold Dr. Phil Dr. Oz and our dear President just to name a few, she will around for the next 18 mo, I love her

November 20, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  12. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

This memo is a joke! This is war not Park Avenue in NYC. Rules of civilian evidence have no place in a war zone.

November 20, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  13. Karen Gonyea, MN

@ Gady I pap test checks for cancer in women. Not my favorite test but it is important to have checked.

November 20, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  14. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Soldiers are trained to kill the enemy, not be policemen. These 'detainees' were caught with weapons and admitted killing Americans and enjoying it. The world is better off without them.

November 20, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  15. David, Indiana

Glad you're feeling better too Erica.

That would be a long seven minutes, but he was lucky to have the woman on the platform looking after him. Even so, an very upsetting experience for a child.

What is the rationale for the new PAP smear guidelines, do they have anything to do with the HPV vaccination?

November 20, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  16. Ken Bekendam

I think that Oprah is making the best decision ever. She is at the top of her game, her show is still pulling in great ratings, she is look ing great, and it can't seem to get better! What a great time to leave. It's better to leave at the top then at the bottom. I wish that Brett Favre would have done the same!!

November 20, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  17. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"That is much better than fifteen years, my goodness!"

November 20, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  18. sita

i am from saudie arabia and opra had alot of infloence on me since the 80's, its a given that i dont want her to quit yet i do understand why but i cant pretend it doesnt sadden me to lose her vioce in my life. i guess thank you is not enough but thats all what i can say now

November 20, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  19. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Just guessing here, but I think the sun will still come up tomorrow without Oprah. This is a daytime TV show. Let's have some perspective.

November 20, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  20. Daina

We shouldn't be sad today but excited about the future. We know what Oprah can do and now a cable channel? She will continue to transform our lives.

November 20, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  21. "starr, formerly known as vincent

Hi Erica, enjoyed your reporting earlier in the evening. Thanks for reminding me...TGIF to Everybody!

November 20, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  22. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Happy Friday.
    Oprah does quite a lot–as do you.

November 20, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  23. Rosalind Bell

The world loves Oprah!

November 20, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  24. Michelle

I think Lisa Ling is right.Oprah has something really
    big planned once she starts her own network.There
    really is not great shows for women on cable.

November 20, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  25. Karen Gonyea, MN

@ Erica Happy Friday!

November 20, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  26. Isa Traverso

It was a miracle she choked up and let a tear fall during her announcement, I cry with most of her shows and wonder how can she keep it together.

November 20, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  27. Rosalind Bell

Certainly the end of an era!, Oprah, just like Michael Jackson has been a major influence in America and around the world, she will be truly missed in television,

November 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  28. Pat, NJ

As a long time viewer, I believe that you see is what you get with Oprah. She is smart, kind, generous, real and an inspiration to many women.

November 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  29. Cheryl Gilbert

You might think that Oprah is quitting next month. She is quiting almost 2 yrs from now. Give me a break! If you make an announcement that you are quitting, then quit now not 2 yrs. from now.

November 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  30. Karen Gonyea, MN

Everything Oprah touches turns to gold!

November 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  31. James

Changing someone's life isn't necessarily doing something dramatic. In that respect, although she has done so many amazing things for us, Oprah's certainly changed our lives also by being there in every aspect of our lives – And even if she leaves the show, she will always be part of our lives.

November 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  32. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I wish Oprah well in everything she does. She is truly an outstanding businesswoman.

November 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  33. Isa Traverso

Everything she touches turns into gold, and everyone can perceive why. She's powerful yet genuine, she's tough and kind.

November 20, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  34. ericacnn

Happy Friday, all. Hope you're ready for the weekend

November 20, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  35. Esra

Good evening Anderson, Erica & Team 360 and fellow bloggers

It would be interessting to see the impact on Oprah on housewives.
    Its the right time to leave for her, she will come up with new things.

November 20, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  36. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. Oprah quite overcome with emotion, this is a huge decision for her. I've seen only a few of her shows, but I don't think there's any topic she doesn't cover. Her show on the death penalty moratorium in Illinois a very balanced look at that question.

November 20, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  37. Janel, St. Paul, MN

Oprah was great!

However, she is not everything! I was embarrassed for her when she chocked back the tears announcing the ending of her show.

Come on! Life will go on. That Oprah is ending is not the end of our world.

Why, oh why, is this report getting so much attention?????

November 20, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  38. Malissa

Oprah has been a part of my life everyday since I can't remember when. I think she has had such a positive impact on so many lives internationally – how could it be that she won't be on TV anymore. Sad Sad Day!

Please Oprah change your mind! The world needs you!

November 20, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  39. Michelle

Oprah is definitely one of a kind.

November 20, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  40. L. Carilo

More power to Oprah; she's not going anywhere. Looking forward to watch her on her continued path.

November 20, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  41. Erika Hilliard

I have watched her since the Oprah Show started. She has done more for people around the world by coming into their homes and changing lives than anyone else I can think of. It is her right to move own. I support her decision and have become a better woman because of her.

November 20, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  42. Joan

No one can ever replace anyone, he/she may only fill in that particular time slot. Ellen might be the closest, but even have doubts about her. I am not crazy about Oprah...but it will be a long time, especially with so many personalities out there today and already so many ( too many) networks. Programming is tough today. I am old enough to remember the big 3 (no not Cars) but ABC.NBC.CBS. Too many choices today, we are not obligated to the 3 mentioned , just to have something to view. Nope , persons like Oprah happens only once.

November 20, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  43. Annie Kate

TV in the afternoon just won't be the same for a lot of folks. I can barely remember when Oprah wasn't on tv – amazing that its almost over.

November 20, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  44. Paolo

Hi everyone! We will certainly miss Oprah; just so sad to see her TV run end after a quarter century.

November 20, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  45. Cynthia, NC

Hello and good evening. Missed the Oprah show today unfortunately. Afternoon television will never be the same once her show comes to a close.

November 20, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  46. "starr, formerly known as vincent

It will be facinating to see what Oprah decides to do next.

Her TV history Is "history"! So, having seen what she has already accomplished i can only imagine what her next step in her evolution will be.

November 20, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  47. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

OK, so Oprah had a show, and now she won't. Does this really need to be dissected?

November 20, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  48. Monica M. Williams

I love, love, love Oprah. I stopped on the way home just so I could catch her goodbye message.

Her emotional moment got me. My eyes and soul became misty when she spoke and I thought of the many years spent following the show.

24 years. Wow! Somewhere along the way she no longer became a talk show host; she simply became Oprah!

Looking forward to enjoying the final ride and then following her on to her new adventure.

November 20, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  49. "starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson, Erica & Team 360.

Good evening fellow bloggers.

Looking forward to remaining report on the soldiers.

November 20, 2009 at 10:02 pm |