November 13th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/13/09

Is civilian court the right venue to try the alleged mastermind of the 9/11 attacks and four other suspected terrorists? You might be surprised to learn who we found even suggested the civilian trials. We're Keeping the Honest. Plus, the raw politics of Sarah Palin's new book. Hear what Sen. John McCain thinks of his former running mate's possible plans for 2012.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Karen Robson

Dear Mr. Cooper,

As a Canadian, living in Montreal, not all that far away from New York, my blood runs cold, and I literally become ill at the thought of these men in a civilian setting. It is with VERY strong feelings that I believe the military system should detain and try these war criminals. It is so highly distressing to think that these terrorists AND THEIR SUPPORTERS will be in NYC....that I shall NOT be visiting anytime in the near future, and I doubt that many Canadians will when they fully realize the scope of this horrifying decision.

Sincerely,
    Karen Robson
    Montreal Quebec
    Canada

November 13, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  2. Maureen B

I think it is a cleaver move.
    Bring them back to the scene of the crime.
    Maybe NYC will get more closure doing it this way.

November 13, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  3. Adel

They should not be given the privilege of trying them in a military court. They are criminals, and should be tried in a criminal court.

November 13, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  4. Dan W

I am in favor of what Obama is doing by sending these terrorists to federal courts. By giving them as fair of a trial as we can give them, a stern message is sent to these extremists: No matter what they do to America, we will keep our dignity and integrity by treating them like human beings.

November 13, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  5. Emily

HI, Anderson:

I don't have a problem with the case being tried in New York. However, I do have a problem with the US pursuing the death penalty. That would only serve to make these people martyrs–which is exactly what they want. I don't think we should give them the satisfaction.

November 13, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  6. Pati Mc Camp Hill, PA

Happy Friday Anderson,

Been a while since I have live-blogged. but this trial with the 9/11 instigators has my interest. Cannot imagine how this thing will go off. Definately presents an enormous security issue, but I feel that there are good things about trying them here in the US. I lost a friend in the attack. To me it is personal.

November 13, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  7. Vivek Gupta

Civilian Trial! I am appalled that these guys are still alive to be held for trial. It probably does not matter in any case, as the case against them is air tight and they are going to be executed fairly soon. If they don't, then the Obama administration is going to get some major heat ; I hope they have done their calculations right.

November 13, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  8. Joseph ODonnell

The Obama administration is correct to try these criminals in a court of law. These people are not warriors, they are just criminals!

November 13, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  9. Judy-Texas

I agree they are terrorists and they don't deserve the rights we as Americans have. This should not be in New York.

November 13, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Military court and Federal court are same law, it is very different system court law. it is compare those court law.

November 13, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  11. Bryan - Los Angeles

As an American citizen, born and raised in the midwest, working and paying my taxes....I resent the rights I have being given to a foreign nationalist terrorist! The trials of these terrorists should be held off shores and conducted by our Military.

November 13, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Bill Giltner

The American people have still not been told the truth about 9/11. A traditional jury trial is the best way handle the issue.

November 13, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  13. Thomas Beals (Seattle, WA)

I think that the Guantanamo system is broken, and federal court is indeed the correct venue to try those who did these terrible acts, since a lot of what might have been said was probably said under the threat of torture.

November 13, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  14. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. How admissable in court will those KSM intvw'sthat Peter Bergen mentions be? I tend to think the federal courts can handle it, but the change of venue question that Jeffery Toobin brings up is worrying

November 13, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  15. Joe

Why keep this criminals once they confessed their crimes for so long spending tax payers money when there is so much poverty in the US

November 13, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  16. Lori

My feeling is this: if we do not try terrorists here they will not be punished for their crimes against American people.

November 13, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  17. Paul

Yes, they should be tried in the US Courts system. We need to bring these cases to resolutions .

November 13, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  18. Carrie-Ann

This idea of bringing terrorists to US for trail is so scary! Aren't we trying to keep them out???

How can we even begin to think about civilian trials here when every investigative report that's done seems to show we are NOT making needed changes in protecting our people since 9/11?

If there were some way to ensure that security of shipping, air, freight, train and roads was secure ( but that's not likely cause they've already infiltrated this country...where those oil tank explosions just a "test run" for terror attacks on us?, along with other unexplained recent explosions and crashes>), that would be one thing. But we are not prepared to invite the Devil and his companions to dinner I don't think.

Then what about after the trials...terrorists are being arrested from within our own population. They are already here! Do we think that after the trials have ended the terrorists will just go home and forget we killed their "heros"?

November 13, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  19. elijah monyenye

The right venue is here.The brutal acts were done and they should be prosecuted here.

November 13, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  20. Emily

@ Jeremy M-Dallas,
    They are clearly criminals, however, HOW they are tried seems to have been in debate for years!

November 13, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  21. randicnn

hi everyone..
    happy friday.. thanks for being part of the show.. and the live chat.. Any concerns about the 9/11 mastermind being on trial in new york city? Share your thoughts..

November 13, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  22. Mike

This is definitely pre 9/11 thinking, it will be chaos in NYC and even a small chance that it could cause a terror attack is too big to take

November 13, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  23. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

They are being fair with the trail to be held here because those people never even had a chance.

November 13, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  24. Trevor

If this was a terrorist country, does anyone honestly believe there would even be a trial? Who is going to "defend" this monster and why do we have to pay anyone to give a "fair trial" to someone who admitted to the crimes? What a circus!

November 13, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  25. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@ Emily
    Great question .... I also don't know the difference between Military Law, and Federal Court

November 13, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  26. Lauren--Ny (@TheGrottoTweets)

Happy Friday, Anderson! Thanks for filling in for Ms. Brown.

November 13, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am glad that I agree with general attorney Eric Holder, They will come to court their service justice for trail.

November 13, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  28. Monica M. Williams

Happy Friday Anderson.

Wow. AC doing double duty tonight (Brown's show and your own). Good thing it's Friday. ; )

Have a great weekend!

November 13, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, You ask what is behind this decision? It is obvious that the Obama administration will use this trial to further discredit the Bush administration and try to make themselves look better.

November 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  30. Emily

The evidence it clearly there, as Peter Bergen just laid out, however, is the punishment different?

November 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  31. Jeremy M-Dallas

Thank you very much Anderson for bringing attention to the whole world that Bush planned to try these criminals here in our land and courts. The best is to reduce these criminals to the size they deserve and not super hero matrydom they want to. They are criminals....period. If we continue treating them special and seclude them,then we will make them heroes.

November 13, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  32. Anthony (Chicago)

Either we belive in the rule of law or we dont ? what better why to re-establish or crdiability in the world then to put terrorist on trail under out justice system. He has confessed on tape, we give people the dealth penalty without evidence ?

November 13, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  33. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Happy Friday.
    It's great to see you double-hosting tonight–I saw you earlier on Campbell Brown.
    I think there is some justice in the terrorist suspects facing the results of 9/11 by being in New York. I hope there is a swift resolution to the trials.

November 13, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  34. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

After so long 9/11 is still a subject wrapped of mystery! Amazing!

November 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  35. "starr, formerly known as vincent

I don't really know how i feel about trials versus military tribunals.

I do think i undetstand both sides, i just can't determine for myself which option would truly be better.

November 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Emily

@ Bloggers,
    Can someone tell me the difference between Military Law, and Federal Court?
    thanks!

[ 🙂 ...it's Friday! :)]

November 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Holder already tainted the jury with his remarks about the outcome.

November 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Ngoc Thao Nguyen

happy friday anderson

November 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Jennifer - Michigan

I don't like the idea that he is getting an actual trial here in the US – they are terrorists – it doesn't seem like they deserve a trial.

November 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't care if Bush did suggest it, it isn't right! These terrorists don't deserve the same rights as an American citizen. They will only use it as a platform for their agenda and they will use it to put the Bush administration on trial.

They are enemy combatants, not common criminals.

November 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Anthonia-Bay Area!

Heeey Everyone!! T.G.I.F 🙂 man i love when you guys make your honest opinions!

November 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Emily

This is going to be a great panel here!

November 13, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  43. "starr, formerly known as vincent

TGIF Anderson, Erica & Team 360!

TGIF fellow bloggers!

November 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Jerry

He should have been left in Gitmo and tried under military law. The cost for this will be huge!!

November 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Emily

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Megan, and Bloggers!
    Hope that you all had a great Friday! 🙂

Lots of news tonight!

November 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Happy Friday Anderson, Erica, David (Indiana), friends and bloggers!

Today I can only say one thing: TGIF!!!

November 13, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Thank God It's Friday night!!! Couldn't wait this weekend....

Anderson,
    Happy Friday Night to you, HUGS! 😀

November 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Hello Everyone! Happy Friday Evening!

November 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi there – glad to be with you tonight.

November 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |