November 12th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/12/09

Tonight new details on the suspected Fort Hood gunman. New suggestions his problems were overlooked and he was promoted due to political correctness. We're keeping them honest. Plus, new data on the number of swine flu deaths. Plus, Anderson and Erica chat with Oscar the Grouch.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Emily

Good evening Erica,

Glad to see you on the blog tonight, ...and that Anderson is back there in New York.

November 12, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  2. Tony, San Jose, CA

Unfortunately, the specter of political correctness plays heavy in interracial relations these days. This is why mainstream Muslim leaders should continue to call their brothers and sisters to action: Peaceful Muslims would be able to call out their radical brethren with less fear of being labeled insensitive.

November 12, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  3. dbrown

Does the current Health Insurance that the Congress is provided cover abortions? And how many insurance companies cover the costs for abortions in their basic coverage and under what circumstances?

November 12, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  4. Marije

Have some people forgotten that abortion is LEGAL?

November 12, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  5. Jason

We are taught in the Army that indivdulaism will get you killed. We are all a team. People like Maj. Hasan should not be allowed to have individual thinking, let alone voice their opinions. As a private and up we are taught that you don't have rights anymore, you are a solider.

November 12, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  6. "starr, formerly known as vincent

Candy is right, after the conference committee, this bill will look very different.

I don't understand. Abortion is a Legal procedure under the laws of the USA. Why then, can't it be an included procedure in health care insurance reform bill?

November 12, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  7. Robby

What happened with "Separation of Church and State" with regards to health care? At what point do we strip the Catholic Church of their tax exemption status? I say NOW!

November 12, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Erica!!!!!
    Nice see you tonight!

November 12, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  9. gail

I think that to put the issue of abortion over the overall bill is a mistake. I do not believe that federal funds should be used , but the Stupak amendment prohibits a woman buying into the exchange with her own private money a plan that covers abortion. This goes too far.

November 12, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  10. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@ David, Indiana

I agree with you. Military, police, doctors and other professionals have a day-to-day tense and always on the cusp of feelings. There should be a care and attention to their health.

November 12, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  11. Cash

So the doctor's colleagues thought, "Hey, he only prescribes medications, how dangerous can he be?"

For the patients who encountered this madman and were confronted by, and perhaps internalized, his values and his frame of reference, there's no telling how much damage he did to them. Those who received his medical attention when he clearly was off the rails should have an opportunity to receive treatment that could help undo the damage he did to them.

November 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  12. ericacnn

hi, everyone

November 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  13. Alex Valiao (Aliso Viejo, Ca)

Good evening! 🙂 Heavy starting today...not complaining. It just means I have to put my comments early. Political correctness, bias and stereotypes... This just shows how much one's thorough and deep self-awareness of our police, analysts and defense officers is imperative to effectively act on critical issues such as terrorism, crimes and etc. We have lessons learned.

Abortion should not derail HCR. It is just a minute piece of the pie not the entire pie. Isolating the issue should not be done but magnifying its importance should not be allowed either.

November 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  14. Soraya

I believe signs were definately missed and someone should have raised the flag regardless of the consequences.

November 12, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  15. SFC william harris

I am a commander of a unit myself and I pride myself on not being politically correct. I cannot stand that title or worthless idea. I often tell my soldiers that I do not care where they come from, what color or religion they are, just that I expect them to perform as soldiers and if they prefer to get anything else in the way of performing their duties and keeping each other alive then they are removed from the unit. I do have compassion for certain issues (Family issues is a good subject) and I treat my soldiers with respect. Concerning Major Hasan, had he been in my unit and uttered one syllable of a threat, I would have had him removed regardless of political correctness. No one threatens the lives of my soldiers and gets away with it.

November 12, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I opposed abortion healthcare as well, I am thinking if they will take adopt children or give up for babies.

November 12, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  17. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

No one has taken away any rights with this amendment. If abortion is a choice as the pro-choice people say, then it's NOT a required medical procedure. It's no different than a nose job, and tax dollars shouldn't pay.

November 12, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  18. Jay

Big corporations do not want health care reform to pass. The abortion amendment is a way to sidetrack health care reform.

November 12, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  19. gail

There are some that are calling this a terrorist attack , but as a partisan attack on the administration. I am glad that some are being more circumspect and careful to wait for all the facts before reflexively calling this a terrorist attack.

November 12, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  20. John Peterson

If Hasan were insane, how would he know? He's insane. Is "off the reservation" politically correct?

November 12, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  21. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Wild, that abortion is a tough cookie!

November 12, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  22. Dulcie - Denver

re: Abortion and the Health Care legislation:

I'm wholly in favor of legal abortion, but I think that if it's going to be a sticking point in passage of a health care bill, then it should be eliminated. Don't let it be used as an excuse to derail health care.

Personally, I get very tired of the 'I don't want to pay for that' argument. There's a lot of things I don't particularly want to pay for, but this is a democracy.

November 12, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  23. RJ

As a psychiatrist who ran a training program for many years, I can say that there are huge obstacles to intervening with incompetent trainees. That said, the "right" thing to do is to protect the public from incompetents and intervene. The Army failed to do its job in this situation. I know why but can't excuse it. It's a shame.

November 12, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  24. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. Col. Kimberly Kesling's comment, that those practicing with Maj. Hasan worked to do the things, when he initially did not fit in, to work him into their unit is an oddly positive note in this tragic situation.

I'm sorry but with a country fighting to prevent terrorism, and with Military intelligence being experience with what can happen to agents, didn't anyone think that Maj. Hasan would be in danger of being conflicted? Was anyone watching out for him on that?

November 12, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  25. Emily

@ gail,
    that power point presentation, why was he giving that?

Also, contact with a known terrorist?
    He was a MD, not a spy!

November 12, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  26. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Jo Ann, political correctness is wrong, period.

November 12, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  27. Al

To me this trajedy is a direct result of political correctness gone wrong in the military. People were afraid to confront and discipline him because he was muslim.

November 12, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  28. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

I should add that I in no way agree with what this man did at Fort Hood but I don't consider these "warning signs" would have been anyway to determine that this man would commit such a heinous act of violence against his fellow soldiers. I don't think there is any completely accurrate/comprehensive way of determining if someone will do something like this.

November 12, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

If PC is the reason that this massacre happened, then I wonder how many more cases like this might be ongoing in the military? I doubt this is the only one.

November 12, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  30. gail

Warning signs are always easier to see in 20/20 hindsight.

November 12, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  31. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I'm wondering why with all the evidence, there are still those who claim this wasn't a terrorist attack. What do they need, an Al Queda membership card in Hasan's wallet?

November 12, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Yeah, It is be charged for murder 13 people, I think it will be 2 weeks ahead.

November 12, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  33. Emily

Why didn't anyone call this a terror attack?
    Is it not being referred to as that?

I thought that I heard that Hasan yelled something in Arabic?
    I have no idea what however....

November 12, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  34. gail

I am glad the President Obama has ordered a review. i have been reading about the backlash against Muslims since this has happened and it makes me really sad that this man is not separated from the good and decent people that are Muslims as well and would never do anything this evil. Just easier fro some to condemn the whole religion , I guess.

November 12, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  35. "starr, formerly known as vincent

Mr. Kennef is right, doc's and other medical people tend to elecit a different response from people. "Rarified" could well be an accurate term here.

November 12, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

FBI have to stopped Hasan, but it already fail, FBI missed his sign warning as well.

November 12, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  37. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Political correctness is wrong when it puts others in danger.

November 12, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  38. Emily

@ Gloria, Brooklyn, NY,

"Fort Hood has my blesses!"

i think that many people agree with you here.

I just hope that they get answers to questions that should have been answered long ago!

November 12, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  39. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

All these goings on about "warning signs" have got me puzzled. It seems that people are only aware of them after people do something that is considered crazy. I wonder how many other people in the military have radical religious views (not just Muslim) and have gotten bad performance evaluations and are not happy about going off to a war that it appears we most certainly won't win. It doesn't seem to strange to me, but if that same person goes and kills a bunch of people, these things that seem reasonable now become warning signs that someone is psychotic.

November 12, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  40. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Political correctness is still causing denial of the reality here.

November 12, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

The limits of the human mind are so sublimes. Why do humans tend to believe that the worst will not happen?

Hasan missed signals ... why signs that were not enough?

November 12, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Emily

"Hasan Missed Signals" ...they have to get answers to these questions!

Glad to hear that Pres. Obama ordered a review of this!

November 12, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  43. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Fort Hood has my blesses!

November 12, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  44. "starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson, Erica & entire Team 360.

Good evening fellow bloggers.

Looking forward to several reports tonight.

November 12, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Cessy, Chicago IL

Hi Anderson...lots of interesting news tonight!

November 12, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Emily

Is it worse that Hasan is going to be charged in a Military Court?

What would the difference be?

btw,
    glad to hear about these charges!

November 12, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!

Anderson,
    Welcome back home to New York, HUGS!

November 12, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Good evening, Anderson!
    Hello David (Indiana), friends and bloggers!

I'm fighting with sleep, but I'm here! 🙂

November 12, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Emily

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Megan, and Bloggers! 🙂
    Anderson, your back in New York! 🙂

I hope that you all had a great Thursday!

Looking forward to hearing about the new details re. Hasan.

November 12, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

A Merry Good Evening To Everyone!

November 12, 2009 at 10:00 pm |