November 11th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/11/09

We have breaking news on the battle over the war in Afghanistan. A former U.S. general who is now the U.S. Ambassador in Kabul is warning Pres. Obama not to commit more troops to war zone. Plus, the raw politics of Sarah Palin. She taped her appearance on the Oprah Winfrey Show today. We'll have details and talk with the authors of a book about Palin that provides new insight on the former Vice Presidential candidate and Alaska governor.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Caroline, Los Angeles

Oh no. They turned the lights off! Oh dear.

November 11, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  2. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@ Mike, formerly from Syracuse

It's absurd that there is no control about the uniforms or medals

November 11, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  3. gail

"Sarah Palin is not qualified to be President", truer words have never been typed.

November 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  4. Chuck

There is no way for Palin, who wants to bring her in as the president of this country when she just up and quit as govenor. If you cant handle that up hill battle, how does she expect us to believe she can handle being president? Some how that does not add up even using fuzzy math.

November 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  5. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Emily, I used to order uniforms all the time from the Navy Uniform Shop via an 800 number. All I needed was a credit card number. Not sure why there's no restrictions, but there aren't.

November 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  6. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@ Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Thanks for the answer! 🙂

November 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  7. Mitch Bryan

I know people who collect and trade medals, uniforms and all types of military memorabilia. It is sold over the internet, at swap meets and garage sales. I think I may have inherited several metals fro my grandfather who served in WWI. I know people who have made a career out of selling and trading theses items quite publicly – behind a store front – why is this a problem all the sudden?

November 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  8. Emily

Palin will never be President!
    She will always be known as a "Quitter" ...she had no reason to 'quit".

Good question Anderson....
    Being President is 24/7/365!!!

November 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  9. "starr, formerly known as vincent

@Isabel, Brazil

I'm glad you think our President is correct in tackling the Afgan war by taking time to analyze Every possible strategy to either win or withdraw.

I'm glad to see you back online tonight. I know you are on the blog almost every night!

November 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  10. Natasha

Lets hope all she wants to do is promote her book, not run for president!

November 11, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  11. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

"Sarah Palin wants to be a celebrity, NOT a politician!"

@Emily, Everyone in the public eye wants to be a celebrity.

November 11, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  12. sam

what is sara palin doing? lots of buzz but what has she accomplished. alot about nothing.

November 11, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  13. Caroline, Los Angeles

I wonder if Oprah will ask Palin some hard questions?

November 11, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  14. Daniel Olson -- Walnut Creek, CA

CARRIE PREJEAN called Larry King inappropriate beause she's not smart enough to understand the differences between, "Why did you settle your lawsuit?" and "What are the terms of the settlement?"

She's also not smart enough to realize that her right to an opinion doesn't prevent others from judging her opinion or judging her for having that particular opinion.

November 11, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  15. Chaney, Louisiana

ThankYou Veterans, Ive watched the ceremonys today... the President at Arlington was very moving, and as I watched him walk through the the field of white crosses I wondered what he was thinking, and how it will effect the decision that he must make soon. I wish him well...

November 11, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  16. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I think Palin has been demonized by the MSM, but I agree she's not qualified to be President.

November 11, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  17. Emily

Sarah Palin wants to be a celebrity, NOT a politician!

November 11, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  18. Heather - Spokane, WA

Palin's tour is a political tour fueled by a book.

November 11, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  19. Emily

@ Mike, formerly from Syracuse,
    WHY can anyone buy these medals?
    I don't understand that....even the uniform, unless you are registered, or "enlisted" with the organization!

However, buying the medals?

November 11, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  20. "starr, formerly known as vincent

@Jo Ann, North Royalton, OH

You are so right. I've watched Lou Dobbs every night since 2000, when i beleive his show was still call MoneyLine.

I thought his discussion of economics would be over my head. How wrong i was. I learned not only how to understand economics, but many, many other issues as well.

I wonder who will be in that time slot now? Can CNN really replace Lou?

November 11, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  21. Eddie

Thi guy is something else there needs to be more exposure on these fakes.

November 11, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  22. sam

can we hear from the man's family? neighbors friends?

November 11, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  23. Susan

The PC explanation is that these phoney solders are only trying to boost their self-esteem.

November 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  24. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Thank You Troops and Veterans!

Thinking of all you on Veterans Day!

Happy Veterans Evening!

November 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  25. Kathy Chicago

It is a sad story to hear on Veteran's Day. My Dad is a vet and buried in a VA cemetary in Tampa. I will visit next week and I'm always moved by the number of new graves ready to go. Why would people try to fake valor? I will say a prayer for all Vets when I visit the site.

November 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  26. Heather - Spokane, WA

What is with these military imposters' egos that they need to pretend and lie about being in the military? If they want to be in the military, then why dont they sign up like the rest of the soldiers do?

November 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Isabel, anyone can buy uniforms and medals. The only medal you can't buy is the Medal of Honor. Everything else is an 800 number order away.

November 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  28. vic nashville, tn

Most Muslims leave their county because no freedom in their country

I think these protesters have home sick they can go back to their country

November 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  29. Jean

The radical muslims are trying to see how far they could get with their adverse ideology. They are trying the patience of law enforcement. Oh how the western governments must regret allowing them entry into their countries. They are troublemakers and oppressive people who also lack peace. Is this the type of thank you, gratitude and fidelity that they are offering the western governments for admitting them in their lands, some of whom came as refugees? Did they not migrate to have a better life? Having established themselve, they now want to take over their adopted country and want a Sharia law for all? I pray that this never happens and that the governments of those lands, as America do something immediately about these people before it is too late. They should be arrested. Down with freedom of speech for these radicals who are spewing hatred and murder.

November 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Poor him. I am sorry for him, someone stole Valor, I am so shocked, not right to steal things or personal life. Thanks Randi Kaye!

November 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  31. Cessy, Chicago IL

Hi Anderson!

Randi's Stolen Valor report was disturbing. What makes this people think they'll never get caught? what kind of punishment do they get when caught?

great reporting again, Randi. You ROCK!

November 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Mariann

I can't believe this fraud is only a misdemeanor!

November 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Shaun

That guy should be ashamed of himself!
    He is a disgrace to all those men and women who serve this country so bravely and so proudly. That man is a coward and a FRAUD!

November 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Susan

Lou Dobbs lived in the real world, knew what it means to meet a payroll. I hope he moves onto something more high profile.

November 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Natasha

I had a friend once that had a problem with lying. These were big lies. Sometimes, I think that people like this have some kind of mental illness.

November 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

This story is absurd and crazy!

November 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Gina

Is this poser seaman making money out of this? Or is this a twisted need for attention. Let some of my pop's friends from Nam who saw action talk to this guy!

November 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  38. Wayne

When the muslims "say" they are going to take over Buckingham Palace, that would be an act of treason.
    Definition: disloyalty by virtue of subversive behavior

November 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  39. Helen

I rather have those radicals on the street than underground.

November 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  40. "starr, formerly known as vincent

Iam deeply offended by these military "pretenders"

My dad served 33 years in a Naval air squadron. He would be outraged, as i am by these frauds!

November 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  41. Lori

Where do they get those medals?

November 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  42. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

"starr, formerly known as vincent, Even if you didn't always agree with Lou, he made you think.

November 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  43. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

How did he get the uniform? There is no control in these acquisitions?

November 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Troy Kendal

I salute our all volunteer army...and those who fight to protect their future.

November 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Kevin

I am outraged that these radicals are on our streets. And of all places NY! It has to be stopped. I could not pass by without doing something.

November 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  46. Emily

"Stolen Valor"
    This story is stomach -turning!

What is with these frauds?!

Why would they do this?

November 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  47. Lori

I think these people who pretend to be something they are not have a lot of nerve.

November 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Mike, formerly from Syracuse,
    I agree with you! Yes, You are exactly right!

November 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  49. Shaun

Now I am really confused about Afghanistan.
    The USA Ambassador to Afghanistan disagrees with General McChrystal?
    What is the Ambassador's ideas?
    the Ambassador was in the armed forces, yes?
    The Ambassador did not come from the diplomatic world, but he speaks Chinese and knows diplomacy I guess.
    Its very confusing!
    What is the goal? I hope we dont have a "peace in our time" moment.

November 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  50. David, Indiana

@betty little, thanks I'm an independent, and you got right to the point I appreciate your post.

November 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |